As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD

DashuiDashui Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Games and Technology
elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-logo.png

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a role-playing video game being developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It was released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Skyrim's main story revolves around the player character's efforts to defeat a dragon god who is prophesied to destroy the world. Set two hundred years after Oblivion, the game takes place in the land of Skyrim in the midst of a civil war after the assassination of the king. The open world gameplay of the Elder Scrolls series is continued in Skyrim, as the player character can explore the land at will and ignore or postpone the main quest indefinitely.

News

5/31/2012 - A trailer for Skyrim's Dawnguard DLC has been released. You can watch it here.

5/3/2012 - The Elder Scrolls Online will be revealed in Game Informer's June issue.

5/2/2012 - Skyrim Dawnguard DLC has been announced. No details have yet been revealed aside from an Xbox 360 timed-exclusive release set for this summer.

3/20/2012 - Patch 1.5 has been released for the PC, adding new kill moves to the game, as well as kill cameras for ranged and magic attacks.

2/7/2012 - Skyrim's Creation Kit and Steam Workshop support have both gone live. In addition, Bethesda has released an official HD texture pack for the game. See the Information & Tips section on how to use all your current texture mods with the official pack.

2/1/2012 - The full 1.4 patch has been released for the PC, fixing quests and adding optimizations to the engine, as well as adding Steam Workshop support to the game's launcher.

1/23/2012 - Patch 1.4 beta has been released for the PC, fixing quests and adding optimizations to the engine. You can download it by changing your beta participation setting in your Steam account tab.

12/20/2011 - Patch 1.3.10 has been released for the PC, adding the Large Address Aware flag to the exe. The game can now make use of more than 2GB of memory.

12/15/2011 - Patch 1.3 has been released for the Xbox 360 and PS3, fixing the resistances bug, backwards flying dragons and more.

12/07/2011 - Patch 1.3 has been released for the PC, fixing the resistances bug, backwards flying dragons and more. The Xbox 360 and PS3 patches have been sent to Microsoft and Sony for certification.

11/30/2011 - Skyrim's second update is now available for the PC and Xbox 360. However, there are reports that the new update for all platforms is causing issues with damage resistances, dragons, and more. A third update correcting those issues will be released in one week.

11/28/2011 - A new patch for the Playstation 3 version of Skyrim has been released. An Xbox 360 and PC patch will be released on 11/30, the former of which will fix texture streaming issues.

11/11/2011 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is now available for purchase!

Information & Tips

Double Skyrim's maximum grass distance with (possibly) little to no performance loss! Open "My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini" and change the "fGrassStartFadeDistance=" value from 7000 (its max in the launcher/in-game display options) to 14000. You won't see any difference between 14000 and higher values, but 7000 to 14000 is a fantastic improvement.

Increase Skyrim's grass density! Open "My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini" and add "iMinGrassSize=20" under the [GRASS] heading.

How to use Bethesda's HD texture pack with all your current texture mods! Disable "HighResTexturePack01.esp" and "HighResTexturePack02.esp" in Skyrim's launcher. Next, open "steamapps\common\Skyrim\Skyrim_default.ini" and "My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini" and change the following entry to look like this:

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa

Problems and Solutions
PROBLEMS:
* Mouse control is laggy / imprecise / unwieldy
* Glitches emerge if the framerate exceeds 60 FPS (Scripts break, physics goes crazy, game loses sync)

SOLUTION:

0) Do not use iPresentInterval! Leave it at default, or the game world will develop sync problems.

1) In "steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Skyrim", open "SkyrimPrefs.ini", find "bMouseAcceleration=1" and change it to "bMouseAcceleration=0".

2) To equalize horizontal/vertical mouse movement, in "Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini" file, include/change to this in the [Controls] section (you can change the number if you find it too slow/fast):
fMouseHeadingYScale=0.0200
fMouseHeadingXScale=0.0200

3) Disable Vsync through your graphics driver (optional, but can greatly help mouse responsiveness and framerate).

4) Use a program to limit Skyrim's framerate to less than 60 FPS; a standalone limiter can be found here, though you won't be able to use FXAA Post Process Injector mods. ENBseries mods also come with a built-in limiter, configurable through their "enbseries.ini" file.

PROBLEMS:
* The game frequently and visibly stutters
* The camera is jittery when moved diagonally when in the first-person perspective

SOLUTION:

0) Use an FPS limiter, such as the one linked above or enabled through an ENB-based mod.

1) Set your framerate to a number you most consistently can get, such as 32, even if you can get up to 60 FPS in other areas; this will ensure you have the smoothest gameplay experience possible.

Performance tips: Disable anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering from the game's launcher and enable those settings through your video card's control center instead. If you want decent anti-aliasing without traditional AA and its performance cost, enable FXAA from the game's launcher.

Unlike previous Elder Scrolls games, Skyrim does not force you to decide your favored attributes and skills at the start of the game. In fact, you are not forced to choose any favored attributes or skills at all. Bethesda has opted for a class-free system, and those choices will come naturally through experimentation as you play the game.

Changes have also been made to the leveling system. You continue to raise your level by improving your skills, but you no longer have a long list of attributes you only add minor, numerical improvements to. Instead, you raise your health, stamina or magicka by ten points and can then choose a perk. Perks are divided into the game's 18 skills, each skill having a branching tree of numerous perks. There are currently 280 perks in the game. You are not forced to choose your perks upon leveling. You can spend them at any time once earned.

If you raise all your skills to 100, the hard level cap you reach is around level 70-80. Bethesda has stated the soft level cap is 50, and past that point leveling becomes much slower. You do continue to earn perks past 50.

The racial bonuses are linked below:

Racial Bonuses 01
Racial Bonuses 02
Racial Bonuses 03
Racial Bonuses 04

A skill and perk calculator can be found here.

Mods & Downloads

[SKYRIM]
Every Skyrim in-game book, available in Kindle and e-pub format.

Skyrim Tweaker - Our own resident GnomeTank has created a fantastic graphical UI that lets you edit various properties and settings SkyrimPrefs.ini file, as well as explaining what every value does.

Skyrim Script Extender

SkyUI - SkyUI is mod that aims to improve Skyrim's User Interface by making it easier to use with mouse and keyboard, less wasteful of available screen space and nicer to look at.

XCE - Xenius Character Enhancement - XCE is a compilation of Xenius' character enhancement mods. It currently includes Detailed Bodies, Detailed Faces, Detailed Lips, No More Blocky Faces and High Quality Eyes.

Apachii Sky Hair - This mod adds 25 new hairstyles for females and 10 hair for males, converted from The Sims 2 and The Witcher 2.

Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds - The Wilds focuses on adding sound effects in Skyrim's wilderness. With the 94 new sound effects, the purpose of The Wilds is to audibly enlarge Skyrim's fauna with the addition of various animals, birds and insects that play according to weather, time of day and region.

Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons - The Dungeons includes 90+ sound effects to add life to the dungeons. The enemy type that inhabits a dungeon will make itself heard.

Crimson Tide - Crimson Tide is a blood mod that adds weapon specific wounds, pooling blood and high resolution textures.

The Dance of Death - The Dance of Death is a new killmoves mod built from the ground up to cater to the new 1.5 update. Currently, it adds around 25 new/reassigned killmoves against NPC's not already included in the 1.5 patch to virtually all of the combat styles and situations. It also allows you to customize various killmove settings, such as perspective, decapitation chance and more.

Balanced Magic - This mod is intended to make pure mages a force to be reckoned with. While melee fighters get increased damage as they improve their primary offensive skills, mages simply get reduced casting cost. This mod attempts to address these issues without making mages overpowered.

Enhanced Night Skyrim - This mod replaces the night sky with a beautiful, high resolution one.

WATER - Water and Terrain Enhancement Redux - This mod enhances Skyrim's water with all new textures, meshes, effects, general fixes, cosmetic fixes, and also new content.

Enhanced Distant Terrain - This small texture mod enhances the distant low-detail terrain by upping the amount of noise and quality of the the texture maps.

Better Dynamic Snow - A mod that changes the ugly, pure-white dynamic snow effect to actually use the default snow texture (landscape\snow01.dds). This minor change greatly improves the visual appearance of dynamic snow.

Skyrim Adventurers Tent - This mod adds a very large, portable tent to the game.

Vurt's Skyrim Flora Overhaul - Skyrim Flora Overhaul is a WIP mod project dedicated to overhauling the Skyrim flora.

Lush Grass - Lush Grass enhances the world's foliage by making it look fuller and more lush.

Lush Trees - This mod fills out all the pine trees in the world by adding extra branches and needles to the current ones. Download the available compatibility file for use with Vurt's Flora Overhaul.

The Pines of Whiterun - This mod adds various pines and ferns to Whiterun.

Glowing Ore Veins 300 - This mod makes the game's ore veins much more visible, especially in darker environments.

Real Ice - This mod retextures the ice/glaciers in the game, as well as adding parallax mapping to their surfaces. (Dashui: My personal preference is the Dark Classic + Parallax version.)

Deadly Spell Impacts - This mod gives fire, lightning, and frost spell impacts with their own unique textures, as well as improvements and variety to decal sizes.

Immersive HUD - The aim of iHUD is to provide the immersive feel you get from having no HUD, whilst keeping the usefulness of having one. It takes the permanantly visible HUD elements such as compass and crosshair, and hides them when not needed.

JaySus Swords - This mod adds a large variety of new, high quality swords for you to craft.

Weapons of the Third Era - This mod contains a pack of 50+ new weapons (not replacements) with Morrowind-themed designs. They are added to the loot tables and so you can find them on enemies you encounter, and several can be crafted, as well.

Silly Level of Detail - Potions & Poisons - This mod replaces the textures for potions and poisons in the game.

Silly Level of Detail - Wine Cellar - This mod replaces the wine bottles and mead bottles in the game with higher quality ones.

A Quality World Map - With Roads - This mod replaces the map with high resolution textures that also includes optional roads.

Faster Horses - This mod makes horses sprint faster.

Spend Dragon Souls for Perks - Self explanatory. The more advanced the perk, the more souls it requires to purchase.

IMAGINATOR - Visual Control Device - IMAGINATOR allows you to separately control visual elements like Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Sky Brightness, Sunlight Output, Bloom and Tint all from within an easy-to-navigate helper spell.

Note: Use only one of the following lighting mods.

Realistic Colors and Real Nights - This mod use the power behind FXAA Post Process Injector to generate a new and realistic color palette and an enhanced night-time gameplay experience. (Dashui: If you want a hassle free installation with a decent visual improvement, I recommend this mod. The ENB mods below are a bit more advanced, but they're also more system intense.)

Fimbulvinter ENB - Fimbulvinter is an ENB mod that adds a more colder presentation than the high-color focus of other ENB mods.

Dashui's Custom Cinematic Lighting ENB 11.3 (v7) - (Dashui: This is an ENB-based lighting mod. I've edited Cinematic Lighting ENB 11.3 to have less intense lighting while still maintaining its overall look and feel.)

Note: ENBseries mods include a feature called SSAO, or Ambient Occlusion, which is a system intensive shadow rendering technique. For the best performance, you should disable it. You may have to do this manually, depending on the ENB mod you download, which you can do by opening your "enbseries.ini" file and changing the "EnableAmbientOcclusion=" variable to "false".

[OBLIVION]

Oblivion Modding Guide -- If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to send a private message to Dashui for help. [Dashui: Some mods may have newer versions since I've written the guide.]

[MORROWIND]

If you'd like to breathe new life into Morrowind, I highly recommend Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds & Graphics. It installs all the latest audio and graphical mods to the game through an easy to use application. You choose from a variety of different mods, and can make changes later with the press of a button through the same application and without having to start a fresh game. Included is a very detailed readme that will guide you through the install and setup process.

Reviews

10/10 - Eurogamer - "It evokes a word that's overused in reviewing of all kinds: one that's best kept in the cellar in a plainly marked box and reserved only for the most special of occasions. For Skyrim though, I'd like to blow the dust off it, open up the lid, and enjoy a masterpiece with you."

5/5 - Gamespy - "I'm looking forward to continuing my adventures of the frozen north long after this holiday season, and it's without a doubt one of the best games I've played this year... if not one of the best role-playing games of the last decade."

5/5 - Joystiq - "This is the deepest, loveliest world ever created for a single player to explore, and one that no one should deny themselves. This is a game about following Emerson's advice, leaving the trail and finding that the most powerful force on Earth or Tamriel isn't fire or sword, but the ever-insistent desire to know what lies beyond."

9.5/10 - IGN - "It's difficult to ever feel completely satisfied with a play session of Skyrim. There's always one more pressing quest, one more unexplored tract of land, one more skill to increase, one more butterfly to catch. It's a mesmerizing game that draws you into an finely crafted fictional space packed with content that consistently surprises. The changes made since Oblivion are many, and result in a more focused and sensible style of play, where the effects of every decision are easily seen. Featuring the same kind of thrilling freedom of choice The Elder Scrolls series is known for along with beautiful visuals and a stirring soundtrack, playing Skyrim is a rare kind of intensely personal, deeply rewarding experience, and one of the best role-playing games yet produced."

88/100 - RPGFan - "Oblivion is in my top five most overrated RPGs of all time, while Fallout 3 is one of my favorite current-gen RPGs. The Elder Scrolls V sits somewhere between the two. Indeed, Skyrim strongly resembles its predecessors at times, and the catalogue of small changes and minor additions makes it more of the same. Skyrim takes few risks. Perhaps the only risk it takes is failing to match up to its competition in individual areas. Other RPGs released this year have better stories, sharper graphics, and more visceral combat. Skyrim doesn't really care. The latest Elder Scrolls has such confidence in the allure of its open-world structure that it shirks the need to compete. And, it largely succeeds in being better than the sum of its parts. So grab a tankard of mead, wrap yourself in a tundra beast's hide, and stoke the meadhall's fire. There is a long winter ahead."

Screenshots

YrG5d.jpg

LCxoD.jpg

Lp6K9.jpg

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
Dashui on

• Options
    New thread smell. The old one smells old. Stop posting there. Post here for candies!

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote:
    New thread smell. The old one smells old. Stop posting there. Post here for candies!

I also heard old thread took an arrow in the knee.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Where's my candy?

Anyway, noob question about soul gems. I guess I want paying attention last night and wasted some soul gems with lower level souls? Like a grand gem with a common size soul or something. Is there any particular metric to determine what size a soul you'd get from a creature? I get that humanoids are for black soul gems, but I haven't been paying too much attention to the rest.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Where's my candy?

Anyway, noob question about soul gems. I guess I want paying attention last night and wasted some soul gems with lower level souls? Like a grand gem with a common size soul or something. Is there any particular metric to determine what size a soul you'd get from a creature? I get that humanoids are for black soul gems, but I haven't been paying too much attention to the rest.
    you can pretty much kind of eyeball it from the difficulty of the creature

i think only humans (plus some ghosts) and mammoths give up grand level souls (which are the only ones to be particularly concerned about, imo)

you can clear a soul out of a soul gem without losing the gem by dropping it on the ground and picking it back up

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Oh, that's good to know. Phew, not a total loss then.

• Options
    KatoKato Registered User regular
    New thread...new question!

If I were to gain a lot of levels through smithing and enchanting and other skills, without exploring a lot and continuing through the main quests or any quests for that matter, will I kind of bone myself by gaining levels without gaining combat skills and new weapons/armors/items? Should I not do a ton of skill work in the beginning of the game and do it later?

Signature??
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Elendil wrote:
    you can clear a soul out of a soul gem without losing the gem by dropping it on the ground and picking it back up
    This should appear in bold, red letters in the op. Thank you so much.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Do I need 100 in enchanting to reduce casting costs to 0?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    MaverikkMaverikk Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Kato wrote:
    New thread...new question!

If I were to gain a lot of levels through smithing and enchanting and other skills, without exploring a lot and continuing through the main quests or any quests for that matter, will I kind of bone myself by gaining levels without gaining combat skills and new weapons/armors/items? Should I not do a ton of skill work in the beginning of the game and do it later?

Generally, there is a gap in leveling and enemy difficulty around between level 10-25. Even if you try to avoid leveling smithing and enchanting, you'll still be overcharged by every other skill and you won't be adequately equipped to fight anything (even if you find some nice dungeon swag). Basically, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

If you're proficient with smithing, though, you can generally beat-up the runaway power curve by making your own new weapons/armor instead of having to find them.

Maverikk on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I just started playing yesterday on PC--using some tweaks, I've found really good performance even with Ultra-high on--until I get to Whiterun.

Then the whole game starts stuttering uncontrollably. The game is good looking, but not good enough to warrant that from my setup, frankly, and Whiterun doesn't appear to be anything special. Any idea what might be causing it?

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote:
    I just started playing yesterday on PC--using some tweaks, I've found really good performance even with Ultra-high on--until I get to Whiterun.

Then the whole game starts stuttering uncontrollably. The game is good looking, but not good enough to warrant that from my setup, frankly, and Whiterun doesn't appear to be anything special. Any idea what might be causing it?

More awakened actors than you're experienced up to this point?

• Options
    Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    This post would've saved me a ton of time when I was first setting up the game:

PROBLEMS:
    * Glitches emerge if the framerate exceeds 60 FPS (Scripts break, physics goes crazy, game loses sync)

SOLUTION:

0) Do not use iPresentInterval! Leave it at default, or the game world will develop sync problems

1) In steam>steamapps>common>skyrim>Skyrim, open SkyrimPrefs.ini, find bMouseAcceleration=1 and change to bMouseAcceleration=0

2) To equalize horizontal/vertical mouse movement, in Documents/My Games/Skyrim/SkyrimPrefs.ini file, include/change to this in the [Controls] section (you can change the number if you find it too slow/fast) <N.B. some people are saying Skyrim.ini instead of SkyrimPrefs.ini. The latter worked for me.>:

3) Disable Vsync through your graphics driver (optional, but can greatly help mouse responsiveness and framerate)

4) Use a program to limit Skyrim's framerate to less than 60 FPS. For example, lock it to 59 FPS using dxtory (the trial version can do this): http://dxtory.com/v2-home-en.html

Free Giraffe Rides!!! on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    jothki wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:

More awakened actors than you're experienced up to this point?

I'd think that was it, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm still rather far from Whiterun (at the intersection before the farms immediately west of it). Maybe that's enough to make a difference.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So um, I just saw this mod for Skyrim.

That's um....certainly something.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bifmj1O3D24

Welp.

Ever so slightly beated.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Is Ralof running away when you get near Riverwood a scripted event or is my game just buggin'? He runs off without saying anything right outside Riverwood.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So the OP says there is a lite version of the Skyrim HD texture mod, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Did it get discontinued or what?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it despite Skyrim nexus's less than intuitive design.

Also that Randy Savage mod is amazing.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    so the days in this ENB profile are pretty much perfect
    5253-1-1325632062.jpg
    5253-1-1325907529.jpg
    5253-1-1325628873.jpg

but the nights are lit up like theres a full moon 60 ft above you

is there a way to use the days in this one, and the nights from the one @Dashui posted?

Joolander on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So I was just running around and randomly absorbed a Dragon Soul... um wtf? haha... I guess some NPCs killed a dragon on their own?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote:

Welp.

Ever so slightly beated.

I admit it, I giggled like an idiot for a bit. Should I feel bad about this?

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Is Ralof running away when you get near Riverwood a scripted event or is my game just buggin'? He runs off without saying anything right outside Riverwood.

As long as he's heading to go find his sister, it's fine. She'll be the quest target anyways.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    So has anyone tried using the TESV Acceleration Layer mod from the OP?

Does it work?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

Does it work?

Yes.

And yes, when you're in a CPU-bound area. Markarth, for instance. Not by much, but it DOES help. And there's an actual, explainable reason why it works, it isn't black magic.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    Drez wrote:

As long as he's heading to go find his sister, it's fine. She'll be the quest target anyways.

OK thanks.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

Does it work?

It helps me a lot. I was surprised. I gain ~8 FPS in Markarth and more in some other places. The game is very smooth almost everywhere now. And it wasn't running badly before.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The Macho Dragon mod is horrific, really. I mean, the sound is funny but the model is one of nightmares.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Was having so much trouble fighting shit as I try to raise my destruction magic and 2-hand skill and this whole time I forgot I could summon a flame atronarch, things are so much easier now.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    it would be nice if the randomly generated loot were to (very rarely) spawn pre-smithed and/or double enchanted.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    it would be nice if the randomly generated loot were to (very rarely) spawn pre-smithed and/or double enchanted.

I think the idea was to make it so that Smithing and Enchanting would always be beneficial to your character.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    jothki wrote:

I think the idea was to make it so that Smithing and Enchanting would always be beneficial to your character.

Yeah, unfortunately, it seems to have permeated right down into how they designed their artifacts too. I can make better artifacts than the gods themselves. This is the first Elder Scrolls game where I've equipped exactly zero daedric artifacts because (aside from Azura's star), they all suck compared to what I can make.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Warlock82 wrote:
    So I was just running around and randomly absorbed a Dragon Soul... um wtf? haha... I guess some NPCs killed a dragon on their own?

Yep. Seen it happen a few times. Once with with mages and once with a couple of giants and their mammoth pals.

Esh on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote:

According to the UESP the skill only affects the magnitude of the enchantment up to a maximum of 25%. Since the base magnitude of the Fortify spells enchants is only 8% that is not really a big increase. The important part is the perks. Although one nice thing about getting to 100 is you can easily get 2 schools to 0 magicka cost. Or you can easily get 2 schools down to 85% reduction and a third school down to half. And keep in mind this synergizes with the school perks themselves.

I am almost done with the dark brotherhood quest line on my stealth assassin khajit and it is amazing. I have done every other faction and the main quest and this is by far my favorite in the game. It really makes the rest of them pale in comparison.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Does anyone else have the problem where sneak attacks sometimes don't work? I think it might have something to do with companions. When I fought on the stormcloaks side against imperials I wouldn't be able to land sneak attacks at all, both when being hidden or using shadow warrior. The same happens when I go to a bandit camp with my horse. Whenever I'm alone they work fine most of the time. I'm not up to date with mods, does anyone know if there's a fix for this yet?

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Mackenzier wrote:
    korodullin wrote:

Welp.

Ever so slightly beated.

I admit it, I giggled like an idiot for a bit. Should I feel bad about this?

No, this is pretty much the best thing ever.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    This post would've saved me a ton of time when I was first setting up the game:

PROBLEMS:

SOLUTION:

0) Do not use iPresentInterval! Leave it at default, or the game world will develop sync problems

1) In steam>steamapps>common>skyrim>Skyrim, open SkyrimPrefs.ini, find bMouseAcceleration=1 and change to bMouseAcceleration=0

2) To equalize horizontal/vertical mouse movement, in Documents/My Games/Skyrim/SkyrimPrefs.ini file, include/change to this in the [Controls] section (you can change the number if you find it too slow/fast) <N.B. some people are saying Skyrim.ini instead of SkyrimPrefs.ini. The latter worked for me.>:

3) Disable Vsync through your graphics driver (optional, but can greatly help mouse responsiveness and framerate)

4) Use a program to limit Skyrim's framerate to less than 60 FPS. For example, lock it to 59 FPS using dxtory (the trial version can do this): http://dxtory.com/v2-home-en.html
    Synthesis wrote:

Aside from glitches when the framerate exceeds 60, stuttering can occur when the framerate drops even single digits (55 to 54 or 53, for instance). I think this may be more prominent with ATI or AMD cards, though. Limiting your FPS will solve that. I set mine to 32 and everything has been buttery smooth.

There is also an FPS Limiter on the Nexus, though you can't use it together with an FXAA Post Process Injector mod. The ENB mods come built in with a limiter - you enable and configure it via enbseries.ini - as well as having an FPS counter and being able to work in conjunction with FXAA PPI mods.

Anyway, I'll add those tips to the OP.

Dashui on
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I don't know what the last update did to the game, but it did it well.

I'm running it on high, rather than medium now, and it's running just as well. I did startle both myself and others when I yelled out "Holy shit, there's dust on these pots!" when I was making my way through a dungeon.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Joolander wrote:
    so the days in this ENB profile are pretty much perfect
    5253-1-1325632062.jpg
    5253-1-1325907529.jpg
    5253-1-1325628873.jpg

but the nights are lit up like theres a full moon 60 ft above you

is there a way to use the days in this one, and the nights from the one @Dashui posted?

Edit: Originally I felt nights were too light, too, but I just tried it again and it seems fine. I think he updated it recently because the original upload was missing a file. I'll be sharing comparison screenshots soon.

Dashui on
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    furlion wrote:
    Stragint wrote:

According to the UESP the skill only affects the magnitude of the enchantment up to a maximum of 25%. Since the base magnitude of the Fortify spells enchants is only 8% that is not really a big increase. The important part is the perks. Although one nice thing about getting to 100 is you can easily get 2 schools to 0 magicka cost. Or you can easily get 2 schools down to 85% reduction and a third school down to half. And keep in mind this synergizes with the school perks themselves.

I'd note that perks don't decrease cost by a %, they simply halve the cost, which won't stack with enchantments. This means with a 50% destruction enchantment and the relevant perk you'd be casting at a quarter of the cost, not 0.

But that's probably what you meant.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Grog wrote:
    furlion wrote:
    Stragint wrote:

I'd note that perks don't decrease cost by a %, they simply halve the cost, which won't stack with enchantments. This means with a 50% destruction enchantment and the relevant perk you'd be casting at a quarter of the cost, not 0.

But that's probably what you meant.

So Instead of

(SC = Spellcost)

SC * (1-Decrease)

You'd have

0,5 SC * (1-Decrease) ?

Wow, that means you actually save more magicka by applying more decrease cost effects without taking the Novice/Adepct etc. perks!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    KeiosKeios Registered User regular
    Does anyone else have the problem where sneak attacks sometimes don't work? I think it might have something to do with companions. When I fought on the stormcloaks side against imperials I wouldn't be able to land sneak attacks at all, both when being hidden or using shadow warrior. The same happens when I go to a bandit camp with my horse. Whenever I'm alone they work fine most of the time. I'm not up to date with mods, does anyone know if there's a fix for this yet?

I think it's because your companions and horse can always see you when sneaking, which stops stealth and shadow warrior from working properly. As far as I know there isn't a fix, aside from going out there on your own and leaving the horse a way away from your destination. Which is a bit annoying.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.