As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Manscaping, or What to Shave Where How?

DekabalDekabal Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So after receiving some comments on my chest/belly hair from some of my friends, I was wondering what a Man should shave and how? I generally just shave my beard/mustache because the hair is blonde and looks weird growing in. Should I just shave my entire front (except bathing suit), should I shave my legs/arms (I have a lot of hair). I really have no idea about anything "manscaping" related.

Dekabal on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    You should do what you want to do. There's no one way that every man should take care of his body hair.

If you're naturally really hairy, do you want to deal with the upkeep you'll have ahead of you if you decide to shave your body?

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    If you care that bad, wax it. But watch that video outtake of the 40 Year Old Virgin first, I'm told it hurts. Honestly though, are your friends jealous of your man pelt or something?

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    You should shave what you want. I have some hair on my back, and I have a what's been said "nice hairy chest". However, I wouldn't consider shaving it, because it's me. I shave my face, and the back of my neck when I get a haircut. If your friends are that concerned, they might have some issues of their own.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Shave what you want. Honestly the only other person whose opinion I'd consider important is any significant other in your life since they'd be the only other one dealing with it.

• Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Most men only really shave their beards (and I guess the back of your neck after a haircut). You shouldn't have to do anything else unless you really want to. To be honest you'll probably get chirped a bit if you do end up shaving and your friends notice the difference.

Be proud of your manly chest hair, it is a gift.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ain't nothing wrong with a rug on the chest. Fuck your friends, they're just jealous.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Female perspective!

I have had partners with hairy chests and I have had partners without much hair on their chest/body at all.

My personal preference is for the less hairy male figure.

BUT

There is no way in the world I would ever ever ask a guy to go through the chore of shaving anything that they don't want to. It is a hassle enough to shave legs and armpits every 3 or so days. To have to deal with that on your whole body? not to mention the ohmygod itchiness when the hair starts to grow back? pffffft.

It is honestly not worth it. And if you get a girl/guy who can't be happy with you and your body as is and they are asking you to constantly change it and go through all of that, then they don't want you for you and you're probably better off without.

Seriously. every 3 days.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    BATHE IN NAIR

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Female perspective!

I have had partners with hairy chests and I have had partners without much hair on their chest/body at all.

BUT

There is no way in the world I would ever ever ask a guy to go through the chore of shaving anything that they don't want to. It is a hassle enough to shave legs and armpits every 3 or so days. To have to deal with that on your whole body? not to mention the ohmygod itchiness when the hair starts to grow back? pffffft.

It is honestly not worth it. And if you get a girl/guy who can't be happy with you and your body as is and they are asking you to constantly change it and go through all of that, then they don't want you for you and you're probably better off without.

Seriously. every 3 days.

Every woman likes different things. Like was already said, it's between him and who ever he's getting naked with. The caveat that you're a woman doesn't mean anything here.

[Tangent]
    There's also nothing wrong with asking someone to change something superficial about themselves when in a relationship with them. A haircut, mustache, terrible looking piercing, particularly ugly shirt they love to wear, etc., etc. These things aren't who a person IS, they're just an aesthetic ornamentation. As well, if there's something unhealthy about a person's body (odor, obesity, etc.) that's also something that someone who you're spending a lot of time with has every right to ask you to work on out of personal concern.
    [/Tangent]

Esh on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    As well, if there's something unhealthy about a person's body (odor, obesity, etc.) that's also something that someone who you're spending a lot of time with has every right to ask you to work on out of personal concern.

Yeah, do what you want, and only consider the opinion of someone(s) who will also be seeing it a lot. More important is above; that you're clean, everything else is preference.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Esh wrote:
    Female perspective!

BUT

Seriously. every 3 days.

Every woman likes different things. Like was already said, it's between him and who ever he's getting naked with. The caveat that you're a woman doesn't mean anything here.

@lonelyahava is just reinforcing the consensus opinion that the OP should do what he feels comfortable, and pointing out that said opinion is not held exclusively by guys, but also by girls (who guys have occasionally been known to do dumb things just to please). No need to argue with someone agreeing with you.

@Dekabal, I will +1 the others. If you want to do a bit of manscaping, where to start depends heavily on what you're trying to achieve and what you're comfortable investing in the process. Before that, though, you should be certain this is the sort of thing you want to do. I'm not really overly hairy, but even if I was, I don't think I'd really be all that interested in shaving just because my friends are ripping on me about it. Do you really think they won't turn around and start ripping on you once they discover you've shaved your chest hair?

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    You might just want to try trimming it a bit. Keep your chest hair nice and even and it might look better than it does just going the natural route.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    As others have said, do what YOU want.

I let it all grow cause it's easiest, but when I start seeing someone new I ask them what they prefer and do what they like. Because as Esh was saying, it's just aesthetics and doesn't really matter to me.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The only men who should be shaving their chest/stomach/legs are men who need to do it for their jobs. There are only three jobs that require men to do this - swimming, modeling, and bodybuilding. The only real exception is if you lose a bet.

Trimming never hurts though. If you're feeling up for some experimentation, you can grab a cheap Bodygroom and take it for a spin. Best case scenario is you find a new body image that pleases you. Worst case scenario is you're out $30. Trimming your junkhair is a pretty good idea no matter what though. Some people like a guy with a hairy chest/back/etc, but I think it's pretty common across the board that just about anyone who is interested in penises prefers a neatly trimmed one as opposed to a wild tangle.

If your friends are giving you grief about the fact that when you take your shirt off you're still wearing a sweater, take comfort in the fact that their opinions of your body are basically null and void unless you are having sex with them.

Or you could just rock the bodyhair you've got. I'd recommend watching basically any of the Sean Connery James Bond films if you're looking for a hairy man morale boost.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hairy man morale boost?

pl0409.jpg
    dougyoung-395x400.jpg
    Doug-Young1-287x399.jpg

Doug Young was a fucking boss.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote:
    Esh wrote:
    Female perspective!

BUT

Seriously. every 3 days.

@lonelyahava is just reinforcing the consensus opinion that the OP should do what he feels comfortable, and pointing out that said opinion is not held exclusively by guys, but also by girls (who guys have occasionally been known to do dumb things just to please). No need to argue with someone agreeing with you.

What tox said.

Also, Esh, you seemed to miss the other part that my being a woman does actually inform. Upkeep. Or are you saying that a woman doesn't know anything about having to keep shaved?

trimming is different, that's very true. and if the OP wants to trim then that's on him, but completely shaving is a commitment that has to be made, and if you don't follow it through it will itch, it will annoy, and you will go crazy.

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    I'm a dude. I used to shave my legs but stopped because of the upkeep. Its insane. Though on the other hand, ive learned to be okay with women not shaving. I do still shave my pits though.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Skoal Cat wrote:
    I'm a dude. I used to shave my legs but stopped because of the upkeep. Its insane. Though on the other hand, ive learned to be okay with women not shaving. I do still shave my pits though.

Does this help with sweat at all? I don't generally sweat a lot, but when I do it feels like my armpit hair catches it all then just rubs it all over my shirts. I've wondered if getting rid of it would help.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It won't help sweating, it will help with the smell, the bacteria that eats the sweat (and excretes the smelly stuff) live predominantly on body hair, so reducing the amount of hair will reduce the smell.

The practical upkeep of shaving your chest is impractical, either wax or run an electric razor through it and trim it reasonably close. I personally trim the hair above my junk and shave my balls, my balls I do twice a week in the shower and it takes a minute or two, trimming the top shelf I do maybe once or twice a fortnight.

I's suggest trimming and see how you like it OP. A lot of people keep doing it because they like it once they have taken the plunge.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Yeah, while it could help with odor, it'd definitely make exis' problem of it getting all over his shirts even worse as it actually absorbs quite a bit of it.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    What are you trying to achieve by "manscaping"?

One other option that hasn't been mentioned is to use conditioner on your body hair to make it softer and less irritating to any individuals who may be rubbing against it.

Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Skoal Cat wrote:

I started shaving my legs because the girl in the dorm room next to me would constantly complain about how time consuming it was. I wanted to prove I could do it in the time it took her to finish her rant. I always enjoyed the way it felt though. Smooth legs and a fresh pair of jeans kick ass. The upkeep isn't bad, just a few minutes in the shower every day.

As to OP, I'm pretty damn hairy, so let me make a few suggestions. Obviously, only do what you're comfortable with, but I found the following to improve my appearance a bit. Try to make it look like your chest hair and your beard don't connect. Same with your back and your head. Basically put on a high-necked tshirt, like an undershirt or something, and if you've got hair poking out above the neckline, trim it a little.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Esh wrote:

[Tangent]
    There's also nothing wrong with asking someone to change something superficial about themselves when in a relationship with them. A haircut, mustache, terrible looking piercing, particularly ugly shirt they love to wear, etc., etc. These things aren't who a person IS, they're just an aesthetic ornamentation. As well, if there's something unhealthy about a person's body (odor, obesity, etc.) that's also something that someone who you're spending a lot of time with has every right to ask you to work on out of personal concern.
    [/Tangent]
    I would like to say that this is the real point, ask the person who sees you naked what they prefer. Also asking for minor things is ok when your dating someone. There are a few relationships I think could have been saved if the partner had just asked, hey can you dye your hair blonde tonight? Instead of going out to find a blonde.

zepherin on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I'm in the camp of "why shave"? The fact that your friends are the reason you want to do this is kind of disturbing. Why do they care about your body hair?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    people that shave they legs, how do you stop that itchy-painful-hurts so bad I want to kill myself just to make it stop-feeling?

cause I gotta say, in the three times I've tried(the latest being new years) it's always hellish the week after.

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    literally every single hair follicle was flame red

for three days

I wanted to DIE

I'M STILL DIGGING OUT INGROWN HAIRS

TEACH ME YOUR SECRETS, O SHAVERS OF THE LEG

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular

for three days

I wanted to DIE

Oh man, one of my cousins works out a ton, thought he had pulled something in his ass. He kept applying heat to it and eventually it got worse and he had to go to the doctor. Turns out it was a deep ingrown hair, got infected, and the heat just made the bacteria reproduce faster. Ended up having to have a chunk of his ass surgically removed.

• Options
    just a bad deal all around.

maybe I should try waxing next time...

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular

for three days

I wanted to DIE

Exfoliate, and then exfoliate, and then exfoliate some more. Also non-clogging lotion. And exfoliating. Trim it down with a trimmer, exfoliate, shave, exfoliate again, dry off, light lotion. Also you want to have at least 10 minutes in the shower/tub before you start shaving and dry/sink shaving is absolutely the best way to make your legs VERY angry. The only time I've had anywhere near what you're describing, I dry-shaved with a super cheap razor, rinsed off, and then used an alcohol-based face swab to clean off my legs and it was THE WORST, totally deserving of the caps. And since you're starting with hairy legs, rinse the razor well after every single swipe of the razor. And when I say exfoliate I don't mean get out the dremel or anything, a loofah or a sturdier bath poof works just fine.

• Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    cabsy wrote:

for three days

I wanted to DIE

Exfoliate, and then exfoliate, and then exfoliate some more. Also non-clogging lotion. And exfoliating. Trim it down with a trimmer, exfoliate, shave, exfoliate again, dry off, light lotion. Also you want to have at least 10 minutes in the shower/tub before you start shaving and dry/sink shaving is absolutely the best way to make your legs VERY angry. The only time I've had anywhere near what you're describing, I dry-shaved with a super cheap razor, rinsed off, and then used an alcohol-based face swab to clean off my legs and it was THE WORST, totally deserving of the caps. And since you're starting with hairy legs, rinse the razor well after every single swipe of the razor. And when I say exfoliate I don't mean get out the dremel or anything, a loofah or a sturdier bath poof works just fine.

Barbasol. If I'm going to shave my legs, I use the same foam I would on my face, and a sharp razor. Then it really only sucks if it's super cold and dry out.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Trim, don't shave. When you have to shave 45% of your body's surface, you will start not giving a fuck about what people say, even S/Os. Trust me on that, unless you like spending an hour and a half every 3 days upkeeping the shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular

for three days

I wanted to DIE

How do you shave your legs?

Sounds like you just went at it with a razor every which way.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Unless a sex partner specifically dislikes this, I'd say the "most" important bodyhair to cut if at all, would be pubic hair, by trimming it pretty short with clippers or careful use of scissors. It's so quick and easy, I think it's more than justified in order to reduce odor, and the likelihood of the partner getting hair in their mouth.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Septus wrote:
    Unless a sex partner specifically dislikes this, I'd say the "most" important bodyhair to cut if at all, would be pubic hair, by trimming it pretty short with clippers or careful use of scissors. It's so quick and easy, I think it's more than justified in order to reduce odor, and the likelihood of the partner getting hair in their mouth.

I don't know about odor, but yes a quick zip with a trimmer will do wonders to make your man parts less grotesque and monstrous.

And with an electric trimmer, it takes all of 45 seconds once you get the hang of it. Take the guard off and go backwards while keeping things... taut. Batwing, etc.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote:

Basically this, except I think the real issue is not so much "hair in mouth" as "hair in nose" depending on the position. :P Trust me on this one.

You know, I'm one of those girls who never liked the appearance of body hair... Welp, turns out that it doesn't really matter so much once you're into someone, and I would definitely never make a dude go through all that trouble. Anyway, I pretty much agree with what everybody was already saying. If your FRIENDS are joking about your body hair, whatever, they're just finding something to poke fun at you with and you shouldn't do anything about it. Now, if a ladyfriend (or dudefriend?) talks about liking it when things are smoother, then you might wanna think about giving it a try, but I still probably wouldn't go for a full-body shave, just trimming. My fiance tried it a couple times, said it was really not worth it even though it was for the ladies.

And no, don't bother with your arms, I'm pretty sure that would be excessive and silly unless you've got a serious hair problem... and you would probably know that before your friends talked about it if that were the case.

• Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    My legs itch like mad after I shave them, but only if I forget to moisturize after. Just some plain vitamin e oil works for me. Same with the pubes, though I usually just trim those rather than shave.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Lilnoobs wrote:
    How do you shave your legs?

Sounds like you just went at it with a razor every which way.

well I pretty much did this minus exfoliating.
    cabsy wrote:

get it close with a trimmer, hop in the tub with the barbasol, rinse the razor after every pass, all of it except the exfoliating which I didn't think to do.

this is very helpful, everybody! thank you so much.

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    Figgy wrote:
    I don't know about odor, but yes a quick zip with a trimmer will do wonders to make your man parts less grotesque and monstrous.

I haven't personally seen the difference, but I have long been told that armpit hair, for instance, holds more odor than a bare armpit would, so I would want to avoid the same thing in the crotch.

Also, does anyone have any advice on where to shave the neckline of a beard?

• Options
    adam's apple I think?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Just above it is one idea I was considering, though the other was just high enough, so that head on, you can't see hair on the neck, which would be a bit higher than the adam's apple. But, as much as I'm ansy about a long beard that looks too unkempt, I'm equally ansy about some short beard ending right under the chin that evokes, I don't know, a white nerdy look?

Also, I'm even less sure about how much to angle up the curve of the line as it approaches the jaw right under the ear.

Septus on