As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wirelesss Router Recommendations

HewnHewn Registered User regular

The Background
I'm in the market for a new wireless router for the household. As internet usage increases (Netflix - primarily), keeping all the devices functioning well has become an issue. The actual cable connection should be adequate, so I'm looking at the router. Even under light use the internet seems to "hang" for several seconds then rubber band quickly. The current router is a Cisco-Linksys WRT54G2. Not a terrific router, if reviews mean anything.

The Setup
A desktop PC with a Cisco-Linksys WRT54GL as a wireless bridge. I flashed Tomato on it and it seems to work great for the PC.
A pair of Xbox 360s. One wired, one wireless. Netflix and gaming.
An additional Netflix streaming device.
Multiple laptops.
Rarely at these used at once, but it's not uncommon to have 1 laptop surfing, 1 Netflix playing, and 1 gaming.

The Needs
A stable gaming experience. I'm loving MMOs again and noting the hangups bigtime in PVP.
Is there a router that can throttle Netflix or web surfing and prioritize gaming on the PC or Xbox?
I'd prefer the router be able to be flashed, but I guess if the stock firmware is good enough it's not a huge deal.

A Final Question
Would I have more luck flashing another Linksys WRT54GL and using that as the primary router? I know it's an older standard, but it seems to work really well. I'm not up on all the router tech, so I'm not sure if I really need N speeds or what.

I'll keep up with your recommendations and you have my thanks in advance!

Steam: hewn
Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
Hewn on

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    How old are the Xboxeses?

The newer black ones support Wireless N, but it would depend on how many other devices you have that support it. I've got one of these flashed with DD-WRT and it works rather well and supports N, G, etc.

• Options
    Smart Hero wrote:
    How old are the Xboxeses?

The newer black ones support Wireless N, but it would depend on how many other devices you have that support it. I've got one of these flashed with DD-WRT and it works rather well and supports N, G, etc.

Good question, I didn't think of that. One is new, one is old.

I believe the laptops could also take advantage of N, although my primary wireless device (the PC) is currently bridged with the G router. Alas, there's no way to get the wired internet to this PC due to the location of the internet phone hookup used by the cable company.

• Options
    FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiskav wrote:
    If you had a Mac, I'd recommend a Time Capsule, but as for a PC-oriented router, I'm not really an expert.

I'd never even heard of Time Capsule. Where have I been? Seems really cool that it backs up your files. But the $300 price tag isn't quite as cool. Still, pretty neat!