As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    It's potentially a lopsided Wrath, but you'd need to be manipulating the board position right from the start.

Anyway, more interesting to me is the transparent frame on some of those; is that a new thing I've missed?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    they are promos

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    How many angels does it take to completely suck the fun out of a game of Magic?
    Jubilation.jpg [/img]

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I dunno, Killing Wave could be pretty badass versus tokens.

Maybe... if they spit enough of them out. If they only have like two or three then you're either paying way too much for a Wrath (or worse, Divine Reckoning) or getting a slightly undercosted Lava Axe-ish spell.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    How many angels does it take to completely suck the fun out of a game of Magic?
    Jubilation.jpg [/img]

That one seems fun as heck. I know I wanna play her ahaha.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    However, the sheer power-level of cheap angels vs cheap demons/dragons/other mythical beings is getting kind of silly... give me a 4CC dragon that's a 4/2 flyer with a shock attached to it or something. RR2 for him seems rare right?

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Yeah, apparently when trying to design dragons, they must be 6cc or more, possess the ability to fly and have a way to increase its power tossed in to show it can in fact fly and breathe fire.

The last great dragon was Broodmate Dragon, but since Jund is a cancerous pox, the actual last great dragon was Niv-Mizzet himself. If you couldn't tell already, I'm excited for Return of Ravnica. I do remember dragons were hunted down to extinction on that plane, but we'll always have big daddy.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm pretty sure the constructed playability of dragons is directly correlated to them having haste and/or an ETB ability, often both. It's not a hard rule by any means, but it's a pretty strong guideline.

Although I run Steel Hellkite as a one-of in my "Birthless Summoning" deck, just to have access to another pseudo-sweeper. One day I hope to get it out against a Tokens deck, sweep the blockers away with a surprise Ratchet Bomb, and then blow up all of his two-mana anthems. :P

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    avrdescendantspath.jpg
    Descendants path:

At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library, if it's a creature card that shares a creature type with a creature you control, you can cast this card without paying its mana cost. Otherwise, put it at the bottom of your library.

crazy

• Options
    No, this is bonkers.
    jgsa8c0y05_en.jpg

"Hey, I have an idea! Why not give Kaalia all the good stuff!?"

Also, this might have constructed applications.
    120411-AVRP-f4.jpg

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    wow vexing devil

that will be popular

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Man that Devil is crazy good. Just a pity you cant wait until the make the final decision to take the hit and force the sacrifice to sac it for an effect.
    Excellent opener though.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    That thing is crazy. Especially without Bolt around to keep it mostly in check.

Let's hear it for Timely Reinforcements...?

• Options
    Now I just have to play U/R Delver in Standard, Modern and Legacy, don't I?

Noxious Revivals, Faithless Lootings, Miracle Lava Axes, Ponders, Thoughtless Scours, Snapcasters, Delvers, Phoenix, multitude of burn. Yep, sounds like a plan.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    So I'm finally at a point where I can start reading/posting again. Ugh busy life. Anyways, either tonight or tomorrow I'll have my first legacy deck together, going to rock Maverick for a bit and see how that goes. Looking forward to learning to play some legacy now.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Man that Devil is crazy good. Just a pity you cant wait until the make the final decision to take the hit and force the sacrifice to sac it for an effect.
    Excellent opener though.

Why can't you do that? It seems the 4 damage triggers the ability, "If a player does, sacrifice Vexing Devil." That if-->then goes on the stack, doesn't it?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    No, it's all one ability. Devil ETB, "I'll sac this if someone takes 4 to the head" goes on the stack.

"If"s are not triggers, they're conditions for triggers -- or in this case, a result of a choice. Triggers are "When/whenever"s and "at"s.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    First thought, the devil sucks, its just like Browbeat.
    Second thought, jeez 4 dmg for 1 mana, or 4/3 for 1 mana, either side of that is insanely undercosted.
    Thinking about it more, turn 1-2 basically its 4dmg for 1 mana if they have no removal, otherwise its Duress for R that always hits removal spells.
    Turns 3+ this card gets more interesting. I assume the way it basically plays out is that it will be in the creature mode 90%+ of the time, and people will attempt to either trade with it, or just cross their fingers for a removal spell. Another interesting thing is there are almost no 5 toughness walls in the 2 mana range that see play, or 1 mana removal that will kill this, so this trumps most of the early ways to deal with a card like this, but obviously plenty still exist. Gonna be sick when people choose creature mode and then play their own attempting to trade, and the red mage searing blazes them.

Final verdict, no idea.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    so the question is, if they just printed it as a 4-damage lava spike, would people flip out?

because this is a strictly worse version of that theoretical card.

honestly, i'm not sure that it's better than regular lava spike in the decks that want lava spike. probably better on turn 1 or 2 and worse on turns 5+.

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    The thing is, there is no Lava Spike +1. No single card can deal 4 damage on t1 as far as I know.

Even on turn 5+, it's not that bad if your opponent has less than 10 life. Usually, you save up burn spells if you can't deal lethal. So they have to make a decision to either risk lethal or deal with a 4/3, which is still far more threatening than a Stromkirk Noble or even a Goblin Guide.

Ideally, you have other creatures that can potentially eat their removal, since if it eats removal, it's one less removal for your other creatures and 1 for 1 is not the worst, especially since it costs 1 mana, which creates a tempo advantage if the removal isn't one mana as well.

As a bonus, it enables morbid. Imagine going from 20 to dead in two turns with this, Brimstone Volley and a Shrine of Burning Rage.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Chen wrote: »
    The thing is, there is no Lava Spike +1. No single card can deal 4 damage on t1 as far as I know.

You *could* do 5 to the head on T1.

In Modern (or older).

On the draw.

With either a Gemstone Caverns or Simian Spirit Guide in your opening hand.

And Thunderous Wrath on top of your deck.

Once AVR is legal. :)

• Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    Anyone coming to GP Minneapolis? I'll likely be there playing some modern/legacy/edh.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    avrdescendantspath.jpg
    Descendants path:

At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library, if it's a creature card that shares a creature type with a creature you control, you can cast this card without paying its mana cost. Otherwise, put it at the bottom of your library.

crazy

I love this so much you guys

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    The artwork on that is fuckawesome, as well.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The artwork on that is fuckawesome, as well.

117.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Terese does a lot of her best work when they let her get a little abstract.

• Options
    BTW... Mountain, Vexing Devil, Chancellor of the Tangle, and Caravan Vigil would be an interesting opening hand.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Chen wrote: »

Even on turn 5+, it's not that bad if your opponent has less than 10 life. Usually, you save up burn spells if you can't deal lethal. So they have to make a decision to either risk lethal or deal with a 4/3, which is still far more threatening than a Stromkirk Noble or even a Goblin Guide.

Ideally, you have other creatures that can potentially eat their removal, since if it eats removal, it's one less removal for your other creatures and 1 for 1 is not the worst, especially since it costs 1 mana, which creates a tempo advantage if the removal isn't one mana as well.

As a bonus, it enables morbid. Imagine going from 20 to dead in two turns with this, Brimstone Volley and a Shrine of Burning Rage.

All valid. It's certainly playable (esp in Standard), and both sides are way more undercosted than Browbeat's were.

I'm just not sure it's better than Lava Spike.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    Accessed my Magic Online account for the first time in forever. Last boosters I got for it were Future Sight.

It's weird to see all these cards just sitting there being completely unviable.

I guess Extirpate and Damnation are still pretty good, but for the most part it doesn't seem like anything is worth putting in a deck.

Tried to play someone a random tribal game, first Sliver came down and they resigned. Sigh.
    Next match, playing one of my Blue Control decks, Island drops on turn one and they resign.

I hate people.

• Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    I think with Spike devil the real question is how good is drawing a 4/3 creature without haste on turn 5 in a burn deck?
    In Std he seems good, Vapor snag, and all the 1 mana removal spell do about jack squat against him.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    There's an mtgo thread as well. Maybe you could find some decent PA people over there to play with.

• Options
    There's an mtgo thread as well. Maybe you could find some decent PA people over there to play with.

Did not know that. Thank you!

Also, I like this card:
    xajehuwsh4_en.jpg

Probably worthless, but I like the flavor text and think it could be fun to mess around with.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    All I know is I am going to get myself a playset of these right quick.

Banishing-Stroke-Avacyn-Restored-Spoiler.jpg

One straight into my EDH deck and two in the sideboard of my fog deck.

As someone who played from Tempest through Apocalypse, it is so weird coming back in at 12th and White having the best removal.

Kelor on
  • Options
    well the pic is nice

qrsayh1vjv_en.jpg

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tamiyo, Gisela, Griselbrand and Time Walk lite all being in the same set is a great thing: it keeps any one of them from inflating into absurdity. Tamiyo is probably the best in standard of the four, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gisela becomes the next Elesh Norn.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    bought some wal-mart 3 packs. feels like the old ones were the lucky ones. the new ones that have [ISD] and the promo showing have more random [terrible] pulls. all this derived from buying two packs

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    What is up with her anatomy? Thank God she's unplayable. Wouldn't want to look at that all day.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    nnanjinnanji Registered User regular
    Aesthetically I don't like anything about Tamiyo. She looks like she should have been in Kamigawa. I also don't understand why Wizards feels like Blue planeswalkers can get ridiculous abilities like SuperBuyback: 0, when every other color gets to just make little dudes.

• Options
    her anatomy is ok its just the cut off on the card that makes it look wierd
    td190_n971yjviq1.jpg

and she is a moonfolk from kamigawa she travelled to innistrad to check out its silver moon and its effects on its population (werewolves etc)

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I don't think we're supposed to have necks that long and slender.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png