As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want a new Camera-what's in between a SLR and a P&S?

2»

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Djeet wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure if you want to hear this since you're just about to buy, but this camera just came out, and it's pretty much in the same category as the X10 and G1X as "serious compacts". Things you'd lose: hotshoe, optical VF, and filter capability (there are hacks, but they don't sound terribly elegant).

Yeah, I'm aware of the RX100. To make things worse Fujifilm is releasing the XF1, which is basically the guts of the X10 in a smaller, P&S-style body.

viewmedia.jpg

I'm sold on the X10 though. I played around with one at a local camera shop and I love the thing.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Oh my, that's pretty.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    vn0G3.jpg

Ordered.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    To avoid making a new thread, I figured I'd ask here. Is this a good camera? I've heard the T3i was one of the best DSLRs available at its price point, and I'd like to hear some opinions before buying it. I don't need something super expensive, really. This one's priced just inside my comfort zone. I just want something that'll take excellent photos when I need it to, and the old P&S isn't cutting it anymore.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    The size of the sensor on an APS-C DSLR means it will crush a regular P&S in image quality, assuming the shooter has the same capabilities to dial in manual controls between the 2. The tradeoff between a large sensor P&S (larger sensor than a standard P&S, but unlikely to be as large as you'd find in a DSLR or ILC) is portability. DSLR's can help you take great pictures, but it's a waste of money if your pics are all camera phone pics because you don't want to lug around the DSLR. So it's a nice camera, if you use it.

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    Yes, this isn't for late night bar-hopping or any of that crap. My bar-hopping days are behind me, anyway. :P I was thinking more for things like nature, wildlife, and possibly sports.

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1