As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions About Other Places

facetiousfacetious a wit so dryit shits sandRegistered User regular
edited November 2012 in Social Entropy++
So we here in SE++ are rather multinational, I've noticed. Quite a few of us Americans, of course, and there are the contingents from Canada, the UK, and Australia, as well as various Scandinavian countries, and loads of others.

Personally, in a broad sense I often think about how other people experience life - but specifically, I find myself with odd questions about various minutiae from other places and/or cultures, things that everyone in their own bubble takes for granted. For instance, one of my longest running thoughts, from as early an age as I can remember, has been: "How do you say 'ow' in other languages?" A trifling matter, to be sure, but curious enough for my young - and still, my older - mind.

So because these questions occur, and presumably others have them as well, I thought that we could use the resource that is this forum and the widespread denizens of which it is comprised and actually ask them and maybe have them answered!

To start off with, I have two that have cropped up in my head recently:

1. In parts of Canada not generally (stereotypically?) considered "French-Canadian", how common is to hear French being spoken? Is it still quite normal, or is it the sort of thing where if you hear it, you'd assume the person is a tourist or something?

2. This is a kind of dumb one, but obviously, in the UK what we call 'pants' are strictly trousers, due to the fact that your pants are our underwear. Is there a term for what we call "sweatpants"? I've never heard the term "sweat trousers" (and it sounds incredibly stupid - though so does 'sweatpants' to be fair) so is there just a specific name for them....?
Actually, sidenote, is there any particular reason for the term "jumpers" for what we call sweaters? That's another thing I've wondered about ever since I heard it. Not that ours has a particularly academic entymology either, but I wonder if it has a specific origin. (Even if it's an apocryphal one, like "crap" was said to have come from Thomas Crapper's name.)

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
facetious on

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    in Australia I've heard sweatpants called "track pants," "trackies" or "tracky dacks"

I still haven't figured out where the hell the third one came from

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    facetious wrote:
    1. In parts of Canada not generally (stereotypically?) considered "French-Canadian", how common is to hear French being spoken? Is it still quite normal, or is it the sort of thing where if you hear it, you'd assume the person is a tourist or something?

granted, I live in the most American part of Canada (southern Ontario)

but I have never in my life heard someone speaking french outside of a classroom setting

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    French is not common here at all. it's a thing you might need to have to hold a government job but outside of that we tend to just not mispronounce words as much as americans. You also learn the difference in accents. Quebec french sounds rather differently then a quebecer speaking french.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I will never post in this thread because nobody has questions to ask about minnesota and I would rather learn about other countries by going there

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    also I worked with a Quebecois lady back when I was with the volleyball association

and she spoke English not very well and French (well, Quebecois) was her first language

so I presume it's pretty common to hear French being spoken

EDIT: oh oops I missed the "NOT" part of the question

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    True story, i was walking my sister's bichon frise, American who has a cottage downt he street stops and asks me if that is a "Bi-con Fries"

It took me a minute to understand what he meant.

• Options
    oh man I want me some bacon fries

• Options
    Small white dogs aren't food

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    in Australia I've heard sweatpants called "track pants," "trackies" or "tracky dacks"

I still haven't figured out where the hell the third one came from

it's the british ancestry showing

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote:
    I will never post in this thread because nobody has questions to ask about minnesota and I would rather learn about other countries by going there
    I will ask you a question hullis.

How great is it when you leave Minnesota?

• Options
    also, a bicon would be like a robot, that is two robots. or completely reversible.

• Options
    as far as I am aware french is obviously a big deal in quebec and in areas adjacent to quebec
    but outside of that not so much

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    as far as I am aware french is obviously a big deal in quebec and in areas adjacent to quebec

there are communities outside of Quebec, but yeah.

i really wish i knew french better, all those years wasted.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Something I was wondering about England recently: How many snowy months do you get there? I assume it's a few since England is so far north, but I've never paid attention to the weather there so I'm not sure.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    The only track pants I've ever known are those thin (nylon?) things that are usually blue and have a stripe down the side.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    quick write down the first word or phrase that comes to mind when thinking about your country!

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Wimble wrote:
    quick write down the first word that comes to mind when thinking about your country!

'Murrica

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    also, a bicon would be like a robot, that is two robots. or completely reversible.

Read that as bicorn.

2r5ux4y.jpg

Dich: That's what I wondered/kinda figured.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Also we get a shitload of French-Canadian tourists here in southern Maine.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Big

• Options
    Wimble wrote:
    quick write down the first word or phrase that comes to mind when thinking about your country!

"Whoops."

Mainly because I feel like I was born in the wrong place.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Wimble what is Sweden's go to country when they want to make fun if somewhere.

Is it Finland? Or are you all too busy being nice too people?

• Options
    Melding wrote:

seriously, had classes on the language for seven years and I retain nothing of it

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Wimble wrote:

not america, seriously

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I met lots of canadians at a nascar thing

Stereotypical canadians too saying "eh" all the time and talking about hockey

I also befriended a lady with a mustache selling shirts

and watched my drunk dad argue with a petting zoo dude over whether he can feed goats pringles

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Blake T wrote:
    Hullis wrote:
    I will ask you a question hullis.

How great is it when you leave Minnesota?

To be honest, I really like it here! The winters are harsh but offer their own entertainment, and the outdoor activities in the summer are grand. Canoeing in the Boundary Waters is an amazingly isolating experience.

And we have the biggest state fair in the country for all your deep fried shit on a stick.

Music scene's decent too.

That said, I really enjoy the deep south because the contrast is so marked.

(Also I'm trying to move to your crazy dingo country so that'll also be different.)

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:

it is Norway!

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Wimble wrote:

Hong Kong?

TALL BUILDINGS

• Options

once I met a bunch of americans waiting in line for a concert

they were really loud and belligerent and could not stop laughing at the french half of all our packaging

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

and watched my drunk dad argue with a petting zoo dude over whether he can feed goats pringles

"eh" is a midwestern thing. Not a Canada thing. just most of our population is in that region, so it becomes a thing nationally.

Goats can totally eat priggles. they eat cans for god's sake!
    Melding wrote:

seriously, had classes on the language for seven years and I retain nothing of it

i got like ten years of french, i can read bits of it. speaking it? no.

• Options
    Wimble wrote:
    I'm so sorry for michelle bachmann

• Options
    Hullis wrote:
    (Also I'm trying to move to your crazy dingo country so that'll also be different.)

I know you mentioned this in the AusPAX thread already but

YUSSSSSS

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Hullis wrote:

I know you mentioned this in the AusPAX thread already but

YUSSSSSS

I need to focus on getting my LPN done, but I will be picking your brain about immigration in a few months!

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote:

they were really loud and belligerent and could not stop laughing at the french half of all our packaging

this story would be better if they were at a hockey game

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Dichotomy wrote:

Look at me, I'm French! I'm eating a le pèánùt buttaire cup.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Melding wrote:

"eh" is a midwestern thing. Not a Canada thing. just most of our population is in that region, so it becomes a thing nationally.

The hysterical thing is that Australians will make fun of Canadians for saying "eh" all the time... but then Aussies say "hey" at the end of every other goddamn sentence.

"it's shit-hot outside, hey!"

"ugh you must be so tired, hey"

"let's head off, hey?"

it's WEIRD

also yeah you are right about "eh" being a regional thing in the midwest... Wisconsinites in particular

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    facetious wrote:

I live in an incredibly multiculural city (vancouver) and I hear two people having a french conversation maybe about once every month or two. Today behind me in the grocery store line up two ladies were having a conversation. It depends what part of Canada you're in, really. People speaking fluent french tends to get your attention.

• Options
    Wimble wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

it is Norway!

Oh no!

Do you have to hide your Norwegian heritage?

• Options
    now I'm thinking about the fair and I'm hungry

7-Deep-Fried_Oreos_400.jpg

Who wants deep fried Oreos?

• Options
    Deep fried Oreos are fucking incredible.

Legitimately one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten, and I don't even like Oreos that much.

Real strong, facetious.