As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Q&A about SUPER SECRETS AND LUMINOUS EVENTS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

• Options
    ultraexactzzultraexactzz BLEASCHMNN Registered User regular
    Welcome, Ben. Best wishes for your success.

You mentioned working on solid content on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. Out of curiousity, was there talk about adding content on or for Tuesday/Thursday? I check this site routinely, and having more reasons to do so on off-days (apart from the clickthrough to Trenches) would be an interesting step forward.

Also, you mentioned watching PATV - do you get around to watching Extra Credits, by chance?

Again, welcome. We hope you find the crazies here... manageable.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hi, Ben!

Edit: question asked and answered as I was writing this. Blargh!

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    What was your favorite 2011 game, and what game are you most looking forward to in 2012?

Do you share any other intrests with the PA guys (reading, D&D, Minatures)?

• Options
    Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User staff
    Welcome, Ben. Best wishes for your success.

You mentioned working on solid content on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. Out of curiousity, was there talk about adding content on or for Tuesday/Thursday? I check this site routinely, and having more reasons to do so on off-days (apart from the clickthrough to Trenches) would be an interesting step forward.

Also, you mentioned watching PATV - do you get around to watching Extra Credits, by chance?

Again, welcome. We hope you find the crazies here... manageable.

There is definitely talk about Tuesday Thursday content, but it may not be coming for a while, if at all. I want to get the base schedule running very well before we begin to expand. It's definitely something we've talked about though, and we have some thoughts for regular, ongoing content.

Yes, I've watched Extra Credits, and not only do I like it, but my wife was very taken with it as well. She's not really a gamer, so when something gets her attention I know it's something special. I'm a big fan.

• Options
    What was your favorite 2011 game, and what game are you most looking forward to in 2012?

Do you share any other intrests with the PA guys (reading, D&D, Minatures)?

I loved Old Republic and Bastion, and Human Revolution, but picking one favorite? Unpossible. I can't wait for Mass Effect 3 and the new Metro title.

I'm a huge reader, I play in a regular Pathfinder game, although I don't paint miniatures. We share a good amount of interests. :-)

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mr. Kuchera,

As someone who is unfamiliar with your work, what piece or pieces of yours that you suggest be read?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Has Gabe drawn you in PA style yet?

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    collinccollinc Registered User regular
    Ben, are you more or less likely to pick random PAX goers up off the street and give them shelter for the night?

Free cake. Inquire within.
  • Options
    Glen RaphaelGlen Raphael Registered User new member
    Any plans to restore/reinvent the hallowed institution of PA We're Right Awards?

(A short list of games we really should have played in the last year or so according to the PA gang, perhaps now linked to your articles discussing them?)

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    Yay, my favorite game reviewer at my favorite gaming related site!

I know you guys are still planning what your workload will be like, but do you have an idea how many reviews you'll be doing, compared to articles about the industry, percentage-wise?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    collinc wrote:
    Ben, are you more or less likely to pick random PAX goers up off the street and give them shelter for the night?

Equally likely, but that worked out fine that one time, right?

• Options
    JB4GDIJB4GDI Registered User regular
    How did you end up landing the role? What's the story there?

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Mr. Kuchera,

As someone who is unfamiliar with your work, what piece or pieces of yours that you suggest be read?

I'm gonna second this one. I've only read articles at Ars every great once in a while and I generally did find them to be very well done, but I couldn't say that I know who wrote which ones.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    Curious about question 6: How does the N-control/Avenger PR Fiasco have anything to do with your position? They went after Penny-Arcade, Mike responded, Situation solved. Are you implying that you would have spun the thing from PA's perspective differently like some type of studio whore?

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    JB4GDI wrote:

Think "Swordfish", only with Khoo and Jerry. ::shudder::

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    If you could have any superhuman ability (excluding ones you already possess), what would it be?

• Options
    JB4GDI wrote:

That may be a question for Robert or one of the guys. They actually came to me, and I flew to Seattle to talk about it, and it just seemed like a really good fit, so I took the leap.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    A lot of "curating" is looking backwards and using the benefit of hindsight to analyze what's important and what's fluff. Will you be covering things that have had/will have significance for the future of gaming, or covering current events? I guess what I'm asking is how resistant you feel to the hype train of major releases.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The Geek wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Mr. Kuchera,

I'm gonna second this one. I've only read articles at Ars every great once in a while and I generally did find them to be very well done, but I couldn't say that I know who wrote which ones.
    He answered this on the last page:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/12/our-favorite-gaming-stories-of-2011.ars

Ah, my bad for not checking out the whole thread. Thanks.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    edit: this post now exhibits a TIME PARADOX
    The Geek wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Mr. Kuchera,

He answered this on the last page:
    If I'm not exactly a videogame news/opinions junkie and haven't really read your stuff, what articles of yours would you link me to so I could get a taste of Ben Kuchera's heart/soul/squishy innards?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/12/our-favorite-gaming-stories-of-2011.ars

I didn't write all the stories in that list, but I did edit them and put them together with the writers, and it shows the kind of thing I like doing. I hope that helps!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Curious about question 6: How does the N-control/Avenger PR Fiasco have anything to do with your position? They went after Penny-Arcade, Mike responded, Situation solved. Are you implying that you would have spun the thing from PA's perspective differently like some type of studio whore?

Here's the thing: that situation brought a ton of eyes to Penny Arcade, and it would have been great to have used that attention to talk about what the Avenger controller hoped to do for disabled gamers and to give some of the attention to THAT issue. There are mods, devices, and hardware that help gamers with different needs play games, and working on a story about those issues would have been a great way to turn that whirlwind into something more positive.

Mike and Jerry are grown men, and I'm not interested in defending them, apologizing for them, or spinning anything they say. What I can do is use those issues as a jumping off point for some other interesting discussions.

• Options
    allanteerallanteer VFX Student TexasRegistered User new member
    Will you promise to tell us the truth, the whole truth, no matter how much it may hurt?

• Options
    If you could have any superhuman ability (excluding ones you already possess), what would it be?

I would want to fly. There's no snark there, I think that would be the best. The Rocketeer is one of my favorite movies, just for that reason.

• Options
    Delzhand wrote:
    A lot of "curating" is looking backwards and using the benefit of hindsight to analyze what's important and what's fluff. Will you be covering things that have had/will have significance for the future of gaming, or covering current events? I guess what I'm asking is how resistant you feel to the hype train of major releases.

I feel like I'm pretty resistant to hype, and I've laid a few big games low in reviews. We're going to looking at the past, present, and future for coverage. It's going to be all over the place, but in a good way.

• Options
    allanteer wrote:
    Will you promise to tell us the truth, the whole truth, no matter how much it may hurt?

ESPECIALLY if it may hurt.

• Options
    FatherVenomFatherVenom Registered User regular
    My congratulations to you good sir.

My question is about access. The guys over at PA have some reputation for "keepin it real" (Ocean Marketing and whatnot). Are you concerned at all that said reputation might hinder your work, specifically access to news items or sources?

• Options
    My congratulations to you good sir.

My question is about access. The guys over at PA have some reputation for "keepin it real" (Ocean Marketing and whatnot). Are you concerned at all that said reputation might hinder your work, specifically access to news items or sources?

If they don't like our coverage, fuck 'em. I have the budget to buy my own games and hardware, so I'm not scared of companies closing us out. I think after a time our work will speak for itself and more doors will be open than closed, but there is no way to do this job well without bruising some egos. It was the same way at Ars. I don't do much to censor myself, and I don't plan on starting, so I think the different sides of the site will get along just fine.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    "He has been called bad words and nasty things by both Jack Thompson and Bobby Kotick, which has to mean he's on the right track."
    - Arc Technica profile page

I love you already. Keep up the good work.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Mr. Kuchera,

This being G&T wherein lies the Steam Thread - Home of the Classy Gentlemen - I thought I'd ask: just how big is YOUR backlog? Do you have any advice for overcoming ones backlog?

Because mine may be gaining sentience any day now..,

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    The best Ben Kuchera article I read this year, tearing Duke a new one.

You guys probably read that one too.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

I would want to fly. There's no snark there, I think that would be the best. The Rocketeer is one of my favorite movies, just for that reason.

Entertainment preferences validated. You now have my full trust.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    For the most part, the forums have been fairly well divorced from the content portion of the site; the Hub subforum is a relatively new feature and operates in a different dynamic than the rest of the jungle. You mentioned (or perhaps I incorrectly inferred) an intention to be involved in the forums - has there been much discussion in the depth of your involvement, and does this signal any shift in overall policy?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. Kuchera,

This being G&T wherein lies the Steam Thread - Home of the Classy Gentlemen - I thought I'd ask: just how big is YOUR backlog? Do you have any advice for overcoming ones backlog?

It's worse for me just because games are always arriving. I have no idea, man. I like having a deadline for reviews because then I can focus on one thing, buckly down, and play it. The rest is just madness.

You want insane? I have a Steam press account. My backlog is THE ENTIRETY OF STEAM.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Mr. Kuchera,

It's worse for me just because games are always arriving. I have no idea, man. I like having a deadline for reviews because then I can focus on one thing, buckly down, and play it. The rest is just madness.

You want insane? I have a Steam press account. My backlog is THE ENTIRETY OF STEAM.

I don't believe you, otherwise you would be playing PAYDAY: Heist right now, and you're not, so there.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    Hi Ben,

Do you do any other writing besides journalism? (fiction, etc.)

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Ben, you gotta be on Steam right? Right?! (Don't want you to post your Steam ID or anything, I'm just genuinely curious as to what sort of style of gaming you're into. Console/handhelds/PCs).

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Mr. Kuchera,

A a fellow human being blessed with the first name 'Ben', how would you rate the awesome of our first name on a scale of 1 to 11? Higher is, of course, better.

• Options
    kingworks wrote:
    Hi Ben,

Do you do any other writing besides journalism? (fiction, etc.)

Oddly enough I got my start as a poet, and I'm working on a non-fiction book about gaming right now.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Welcome to Penny Arcade, Ben.

I must confess I haven't really followed your work before, so I wouldn't know if you've covered this in a previous article, but I'm curious about your views on the Stop Online Piracy Act and Protect IP Act, and how they relate to the game industry. SOPA is currently shelved, but PIPA is still being discussed, so I think it's important to remain vigilant about this proposed legislation, but I'm interested in any insight you could offer, either in where we're heading or what we can do.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    First system/game?