As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: January's over, go to the new thread

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The fuck are the Geforce GTX 545/555? God I hate video card naming schemes.

E: Really like the case though.

EE: Comes in below the 560, which really isn't as obvious as you might think :P Not too impressive then, but decent enough if you're bad at Legos.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    It's a bit insincere to say that you could throw more expensive stuff into it to make it cross the 1k mark. Doesnt' mean you can't have an affordable version that works just fine.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    GTX 555 Mobile shows up #93 on here http://www.graphicscardbenchmarks.com/page/table

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'd say the 545 and 555 are both probably mobile cards intended for laptops, but don't take my word for it.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I don't think that it's "the market doesn't want a console experience on a handheld." I think it's more "the market doesn't want a dumbed down console experience on a handheld."

Like with Uncharted Vita, sure, it looks impressive for a portable game, but it looks similar in style and quality to Uncharted 1. Are people really going to get that excited for portable Uncharted 1 when the vastly superior sequel (or sequels depending on your viewpoint on 3) exist?

We need more stuff like Gravity Daze - a console experience on a handheld that you can't get on a console.

And I read that Uncharted manages to look as good as it does because it runs in a wonky 75% of native resolution or something? With visible artifacting? I have to look that up again, see if I can find it.

I...wait, what? Seriously? Is the PS Vita so desperate to mirror current generation games that it does that ridiculous "render at low resolution and upscale to fit" thing that most big-budget games have to do these days?

Jesus Christ.

I found it:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-playstation-vita?page=3
    Of the launch line-up, Uncharted: Golden Abyss is rightly touted as showcase material.

The visuals are particularly striking, with some outstanding water effects and viewing distances being shown off in the earlier chapters as you pass waterfalls on cliff-sides, revealing seemingly miles of jungle terrain below. The overall quality of the character models holds up to close scrutiny too, and are highly reminiscent of the detail level used for those in the very first Uncharted. Alas, much of the good work put into the overall look of the game is impacted slightly by the use of a 'sub-qHD' native resolution. The whole game appears to be rendering with a native framebuffer somewhere in the region of 720x408 (which is 75 per cent of the Vita's maximum 960x544 resolution), meaning the game's image quality isn't quite as exemplary as we'd hoped it would be, and that scaling artifacts are evident.

f this is to benefit performance, it could well be the right call. The frame-rate rarely deviates from its target 30FPS, even in the most hectic shoot-outs or cut-scenes - and v-sync is engaged throughout.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The GTX 555 non-mobile version is basically a 460 if you look at the specs. It'll probably run a little faster due to improved architecture, but it's nothing special, and certainly not worth putting in a $1200 rig.

ladi.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I don't think that it's "the market doesn't want a console experience on a handheld." I think it's more "the market doesn't want a dumbed down console experience on a handheld."

Like with Uncharted Vita, sure, it looks impressive for a portable game, but it looks similar in style and quality to Uncharted 1. Are people really going to get that excited for portable Uncharted 1 when the vastly superior sequel (or sequels depending on your viewpoint on 3) exist?

We need more stuff like Gravity Daze - a console experience on a handheld that you can't get on a console.

And I read that Uncharted manages to look as good as it does because it runs in a wonky 75% of native resolution or something? With visible artifacting? I have to look that up again, see if I can find it.

I...wait, what? Seriously? Is the PS Vita so desperate to mirror current generation games that it does that ridiculous "render at low resolution and upscale to fit" thing that most big-budget games have to do these days?

Jesus Christ.

I found it:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-playstation-vita?page=3
    Of the launch line-up, Uncharted: Golden Abyss is rightly touted as showcase material.

The visuals are particularly striking, with some outstanding water effects and viewing distances being shown off in the earlier chapters as you pass waterfalls on cliff-sides, revealing seemingly miles of jungle terrain below. The overall quality of the character models holds up to close scrutiny too, and are highly reminiscent of the detail level used for those in the very first Uncharted. Alas, much of the good work put into the overall look of the game is impacted slightly by the use of a 'sub-qHD' native resolution. The whole game appears to be rendering with a native framebuffer somewhere in the region of 720x408 (which is 75 per cent of the Vita's maximum 960x544 resolution), meaning the game's image quality isn't quite as exemplary as we'd hoped it would be, and that scaling artifacts are evident.

f this is to benefit performance, it could well be the right call. The frame-rate rarely deviates from its target 30FPS, even in the most hectic shoot-outs or cut-scenes - and v-sync is engaged throughout.

That's fuckin' hilarious. Is this the first time a handheld game isn't running at the native resolution of the device it's on?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/zynga-must-attract-9-10m-daily-users-to-stop-stock-slide/089931
    One US analyst has warned that Zynga will have to start attracting a high number of new users to offset the declines suffered by its titles and justify its newfound share price.

The publisher’s most recent releases Scramble With Friends and Hidden Chronicles have failed to replicate the successes of previous titles.

For instance, Gamasutra reports that Hidden Chronicles attracted 710,000 daily active users (DAU) in its first 12 days. By comparison, CastleVille attracted over 5m DAUs in its first 12 days in 2012.

Following Zynga’s floatation in December shares climbed from their initial 9.50 to 9.75 in 11 days. However, by January 9th its share value had fallen to just 8.00. Having climbed back to 9.31 by January 17th Zynga is today down 3.44 per cent at 8.9.

Of course, Zynga’s titles could yet gain further popularity, but as Cowen & Company’s Doug Creutz points out, "that has not been the general pattern for Zynga's launches over the past year".

"The quarterly rate of DAU decline for Zynga's titles that are at least three months old has averaged 18.4 per cent per quarter for the last two years," he added.

“Assuming Zynga averages a 20 per cent quarterly rate of decline for titles beyond their launch windows in 2012, the company must add 9-10m DAUs per quarter from new games just to keep total DAUs constant."
    Yessssssssss.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-probably-spent-0-5bn-on-old-republic/089927
    We’ll never know exactly how much EA spent on bankrolling BioWare’s first MMO Star Wars: the Old Republic, but one analyst reckons the total figure could be close to half a billion dollars.

“I think it’s safe to say that the total all-in investment in Star Wars is probably approaching half a billion dollars,” Cowen & Co analyst Doug Creutz told MarketWatch.

“EA has minimised its risks as much as it can on this bet, but it’s still a risky bet. To the extent that any one game defines his tenure, it’s going to be how ‘Star Wars’ performs.”

EA stated just before Christmas that the game, launched only days earlier, had already attracted over 1m registered users, all of whom are subscribing to the game.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Is this the first time a handheld game isn't running at the native resolution of the device it's on?

Every DS game played on the 3DS says hi.

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Social games crashing and burning? I'm okay with that.

I have no problem with them existing, but their massive oversaturation grinds on the nerves a bit.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Is this the first time a handheld game isn't running at the native resolution of the device it's on?

Except that on the DS they're running at native resolution...and you have the option of playing them at their native resolution on the 3DS.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Unless you hold start or select, but that's sort of a different situation. As would be the example of DS or GBA games using scaling to zoom in the entire screen briefly, that's a gameplay thing and not for the purpose of improving the graphics.

As for a game that renders the entire screen to a buffer and then upscales because that actually uses less power than rendering at native res? I think this is the first time we've had enough portable power to do that.

Were there any PS1 or PS2 games that did this?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Couscous wrote:
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-probably-spent-0-5bn-on-old-republic/089927
    We’ll never know exactly how much EA spent on bankrolling BioWare’s first MMO Star Wars: the Old Republic, but one analyst reckons the total figure could be close to half a billion dollars.

“I think it’s safe to say that the total all-in investment in Star Wars is probably approaching half a billion dollars,” Cowen & Co analyst Doug Creutz told MarketWatch.

“EA has minimised its risks as much as it can on this bet, but it’s still a risky bet. To the extent that any one game defines his tenure, it’s going to be how ‘Star Wars’ performs.”

EA stated just before Christmas that the game, launched only days earlier, had already attracted over 1m registered users, all of whom are subscribing to the game.

So $60m in sales by Christmas, $15 for one month of subs... recouping half a bill seems reasonably likely, but making a significant profit looks kinda out there.

ladi.png
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I was wondering if we'd ever end up with an MMO that played like a Facebook game.

You can play a lot to start out, but eventually you are gated by restraints that only loosen with time/help from friends/cash.

Then again... that kind of sounds like an MMO already, doesn't it?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    I'm just shocked Alienware put out something that doesn't cost 47 hojillion dollars.

The 8 Gig model with a fancier graphics card and processor breaks the big grand at something like ~1200, so there's always that.

That's still not an obscenely high price by any stretch. I'd seriously consider something like that once I had a setup that was more conducive to PC gaming on a large screen (right now, I do most of my PC gaming when my fiancee wants the TV for some reason).

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options

Unless you hold start or select, but that's sort of a different situation. As would be the example of DS or GBA games using scaling to zoom in the entire screen briefly, that's a gameplay thing and not for the purpose of improving the graphics.

Still annoyed that if you want the best graphics on a DS game, you can't play them on a 3DS (either scaled up or native but the screen size is really small). I really appreciate that Sony made the Vita's resolution exactly double that of the PSP so you don't run into those kinds of problems when playing last gen games.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I wonder what the overhead looks like as far as maintenance/patches and uptime for servers/bandwidth is, on top of continued development. On the ultra-conservative assumption that they have a baseline of 1m constant subs, with costs, its still gonna take like 5+ years just to recoup that initial investment if it actually was 500mil.

Thats uh...someone at some point who was looking at the numbers had to have raised their hand and pointed out that there's a high likelyhood the game could never actually be profitable.

Which is a strange thing to go with. I mean, I guess i can understand the concept of looking at a major MMO like a console release; take a hit on the initial "console" and rely on subs, various "vanity" fees like name changes, and xpacks for profit but good lord. That is an absurdly massive gamble to take right now.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    To give you an example of Zynga's carpet-bombing strategy, Words With Friends (something Zynga acquired after the fact) is quite popular. So Zynga released Hanging with Friends (i.e., the word game Hangman) in November. It wasn't really a huge success. What did Zynga do? Release Scramble with Friends a couple weeks ago.

I think they've already started their slide down the slope. Then again, it doesn't really matter. Pinkus made his money, so I'm sure he won't be too choked up if yet another of his startup companies implode.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I like Hanging with Friends better than Words because games generally run quicker.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Sorry guys, had to share this via gaf: probably the funniest list I've ever seen.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459366

Gamestm top game machines of all time!/Kanye

15. Game Boy
    14 NES
    13 ZX Spectrum
    12 Commodore 64
    11 Gamecube
    10 PC

9 Amiga
    8 Playstation 3
    7 Dreamcast
    6 Mega Drive
    5 Nintendo 64
    4 PlayStation
    3 PlayStation 2
    2 Super Nintendo
    1 XBOX 360

...the Xbox 360 has seen more in six years than any other games machine to date. In many ways a summation of everything else in this list, and no matter what follows it, the Xbox 360 will stand the test of time as the console that, more than any other machine, gave gaming to all the people , all the time

Loooooooooooooooooool!

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    They must be taking the piss.

I mean I love my Dreamcast but above the Spectrum, NES and PC?

Nutters.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm going to look strongly askance at any list that doesn't have the PC as at least Top 3.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    Sorry guys, had to share this via gaf: probably the funniest list I've ever seen.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459366

Gamestm top game machines of all time!/Kanye

15. Game Boy
    14 NES
    13 ZX Spectrum
    12 Commodore 64
    1 Gamecube

Now that looks better to my eyes.

• Options
    To be fail, this is a reader poll.

...I actually meant to type "to be fair," but you know what? I like what I actually typed better.

But there's no way to have a "top game machines of all time" list and have the NES at number 14, just to point out one of the many bits of weirdness with that list.

• Options
    They must be taking the piss.

I mean I love my Dreamcast but above the Spectrum, NES and PC?

Nutters.

How about the complete lack of the DS, one of the best systems of all time.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Shit, given the justification for the 360 nabbing the top spot, it definitely doesn't make sense to place the OG Game Boy dead last.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Saturn
    NES
    Super NES
    Genesis
    PSX

Probably in that order.

Also.

If you consider yourself a legit gamer and haven't played Rayman Origins then shame on you. Shame on you.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    bwuh?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    Saturn
    NES
    Super NES
    Genesis
    PSX

Probably in that order.

Also.

If you consider yourself a legit gamer and haven't played Rayman Origins then shame on you. Shame on you.

I played the demo, hated the controls and deleted it from my 360. Does that count?

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    Saturn

Oh you.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Incindium wrote:
    I just ran through the completely maxed out config for the Alienware X51 on Dell's site and it ends up being $1250 with the blu-ray drive with 2.4GHz Intel Core i7-2600 CPU, 8GBs of RAM, NVIDIA GTX555... Still kinda pricey.

I would think that the biggest concern would be not having these things heat themselves into a pile of molten plastic after a few hours. A lot of people put consoles into tight shelves in their entertainment centers beneath their TVs and that just seems like a recipe for disaster for a machine at that spec in such a small case unless they have some hardcore cooling going on, which will increase noise.

I love that they are positioning it as a hardcore gaming/console type system, but the first thing you see when you try to configure one is Dell saying "HEY, WANT TO BUY MICROSOFT OFFICE???".

Still annoyed that if you want the best graphics on a DS game, you can't play them on a 3DS (either scaled up or native but the screen size is really small). I really appreciate that Sony made the Vita's resolution exactly double that of the PSP so you don't run into those kinds of problems when playing last gen games.

First of all, we're talking about a launch game. Two or three waves in we'll start to see some really incredible stuff once devs really start getting to know the hardware. It doesn't matter if the game is rendered at Pac Man resolution and then upscaled as long as it looks and plays good, which (from everything I've seen about Uncharted) it seems to do.

I also like that they made an effort to make it easier to view PSP games on the system, since I have a ton of them on my PSN account and will love to play them on a Vita whenever I can get around to actually affording one.

edit: The Saturn is an awesome system, and I will swordfight anyone who says otherwise.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    3DS upscaling DS games to fit the screen is a far cry from the Vita games designed for its platform having to run them at a lower resolution and then upscale them. DS games were not designed for the 3DS. Golden Abyss was designed for the Vita, and yet the Vita can't handle it without cutting down on resolution and upscaling. I hope this doesn't set a precedence for these $50 Vita games.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Rayman Origins is ok

Its not really anything too special outside the art style...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Sheep wrote:

At the rate it's bombing, I'll wait for the $10 XBLA rerelease. Should be up any day. ;)

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    No love for the GBA.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2012
    It's a platformer.

Dunno what else you guys were expecting. Controls are fine.

It's like Wario Shake Dimension except, you know, it's actually pretty and funny and fun.

Also I'm completely serious about the Saturn. It's launch and first year beat the shit out of the PSX's offerings.
    At the rate it's bombing, I'll wait for the $10 XBLA rerelease. Should be up any day. ;)

I bought it for 30$ brand new. Worth it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    One of the problems that Sony has with their handhelds is that they feel gamers want console games, only portable. PSPs failure was partially because of this attitude and people just didn't want to buy watered down PS2 games. This was proven even more so when most of those games were up-ported to the PS2.

They haven't learned and the Vita has so far touted a 'console experience' or watered down PS3 games. Fortunately there are games coming that will showcase the Vita much better but they aren't what Sony are advertising.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Sheep wrote:

It's a pretty big game, what's the GB limit for XBLA? It would complement downloadable services well, but Ubisoft is currently all lol DRM.

But yeah, Ubisoft sent it out to die in the November rush, which is a shame because it's outstanding. It's beautiful, stylish, and SMB tough. It's currently 19.99 at Toys R Us and worth much more. I gave a Wii copy to my little cousins, who are currently slapping each other in-game. My 360 copy has nicer visuals due to 1080p capability, and even more music. But the copy that you will most likely have dudebros over for local play is the version to buy.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    One of the problems that Sony has with their handhelds is that they feel gamers want console games, only portable. PSPs failure was partially because of this attitude and people just didn't want to buy watered down PS2 games. This was proven even more so when most of those games were up-ported to the PS2.

They haven't learned and the Vita has so far touted a 'console experience' or watered down PS3 games. Fortunately there are games coming that will showcase the Vita much better but they aren't what Sony are advertising.

The weird thing is that Sony officials have said, several times, that one of the main problems with the PSP is that it didn't differentiate itself enough from the console experience. (In fact I think it was the massive coronary this revelation caused Unco that caused his doctor to recommend he stay away from this thread for the sake of his health.)

But I have no idea how the Vita doesn't fall in this trap. Especially with the promise that you can transfer game saves between the PS3 and Vita.

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

I'm still not sure this was ever the problem. 3DS is currently selling very well in Japan based on three very home-console-like games. Heck, one of them used to be a home console game.

If it is the problem then it's got some very subtle nuances that are difficult to quantify.