As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Future Of Zelda

MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
After just finishing Twilight Princess I thought it might be cool to have a discussion about the future of Zelda. I feel that TP was great but if the series continued onwards like this it would get very stale, and has kind of started already. I see TP as the final polished version of the Ocarina Of Time format and while you could keep on polishing it probably would become counterproductive. Judging from Nintendo's own comments I think that we'll be seeing some big changes for the next one. So I thought maybe we could come up with a few things and throw some ideas into the mix and speculate on what might be cool no matter how nuts, and as we know, Nintendo is not a company to shy away from doing something crazy to their brands.

I'll start with a couple of obvious ones like a new more indepth combat system. The Wiimote was fun as a stand in for the Gamecube controller but it is capable of so much more than we had in TP. Also full orchastrated music has to be a must. For something a little less orthodox, do you think that Nintendo would do something really crazy like change the whole perpective and make it first person or something like that?

So what would you suggest?

All crazy suggestions welcome.

Ranmasig5.png
MikeRyu on

• Options
    VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So long as they never make Link talk, I'm happy.

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Miyamoto: "Link should be a woman!"
    There you have it. The hookshot will be replaced with some kind of vacuum.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yes voice acting is another one. I don't think I'd like Link to talk but what about everyone else?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    agoaj wrote: »

Notebook: Hookshot bad.....Vacuum Grapple Gun....Good!

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There will always be hookshots and lighting torches and puzzles where you have to push blocks onto switches. I, too, kinda feel Nintendo has done everything it can with this formula and needs to move on. Zelda puzzles are already too easy but now they're even easier because gamers have already seen them before.

How about a physics-based puzzle where we have to dam up a river with trees Link cuts down with the Master Sword or logical music puzzles where you figure out a tune based on clues - NOT having it given to you right away?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Turn-based battles, with Zelda and Gannon as party members.

What? It worked for Mario!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You got the Jedi Lightsaber!

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    There will always be hookshots and lighting torches and puzzles where you have to push blocks onto switches. I, too, kinda feel Nintendo has done everything it can with this formula and needs to move on. Zelda puzzles are already too easy but now they're even easier because gamers have already seen them before.

How about a physics-based puzzle where we have to dam up a river with trees Link cuts down with the Master Sword or logical music puzzles where you figure out a tune based on clues - NOT having it given to you right away?

That's excellent. Less contrived puzzles. A more physics based world where you have the freedom to actually affect physical elements of it. World probably work really well with the Wiimote, especially if Link had a new item like the Ocarina was but like a staff that could move things in an elebits fashion. Also a more freeroaming world would be great. I feel that as the games have pregressed they've become more and more linear. Being able to go where you want and do tasks in almost any order would be cool. It also would be quite true to the series' origins.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Being tone deaf, I hate musical puzzles. These have been, and always will be, the bane of my existence. Toss any time constrained color based puzzles with lots of reds and greens. Damn my defective senses.

It's hard to tell where they could take Zelda from here. As far as the formula goes, they perfected it. One thing I wish consoles had were Expansion Packs. Because it allows you to have a business strategy for pounding out a low cost, more of the same game, with a higher difficulty level, some enhancements, and other perks. At least assuming its done well. The closest consoles come to expansion packs are things like Majora's Mask and Mario: Lost Levels. I almost wish they did more of that sort of thing, so that you can get more of what you love, without having to deal with the burden of expecting the game to be revolutionary.

Then again, sequels in general have been becoming less true sequels and more "Here is the 2007 edition of the same game you already bought 5 times!" Thanks EA. Sometimes its good that certain series die. Max Payne ended perfectly after 2. Halo 3 is supposed to be last one I hear. Perhaps Doom should have stopped at 2 and Doom 3 could have been called something else, perhaps Doom: The Uncreative Subtitle.

Ugh, but I'm wondering all over the place, back to Zelda. Well, apparently Mario Galaxy is supposed to be pretty revolutionary. I can only assume Nintendo will do something amazing with Zelda that truely uses the wiimote. 1:1 sword motions? Transmute the game into something more of a sword fighting game with adventure elements? We've explored Hyrule enough by now I'd say, perhaps take it somewhere else. Maybe explore the Twilight Realm in a Majora's Mask style expansion pack/sequel?

Namrok on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have enjoyed all zelda games to date, but personally I would like to see a darker more troubled Link and even a darker game in general. As sad as I am, i have thought of a few stories for a new game and even some intro scenes I would like to see though they step away from some of the more classic zelda elements.

I always wanted to see Link up against more humans, though I enjoy my share of orc/beast slaying, Giving gannon a dark human army would be interesting to me. I would also love the possibility of a game where you are a different hero and Link has lost to gannon and now under his control so not only do you have to defeat gannon but the former hero of the gods (possibly making the new hero the lost son of link.)

As much as i love the targeting system in zelda i think it should be dropped to add more challenge to the game (though this would probably not work well on the Wii)

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Turn it into a MMORPG. Everyone loves paying for those.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Namrok wrote: »
    We've explored Hyrule enough by now I'd say, perhaps take it somewhere else. Maybe explore the Twilight Realm in a Majora's Mask style expansion pack/sequel?

Or...WW spoilers
    The new land that Link and tetra went off to look for.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Witchdr wrote: »
    I have enjoyed all zelda games to date, but personally I would like to see a darker more troubled Link and even a darker game in general.

I personally feel that Twilight Princess was dark enough. I'm not saying that the evil shouldn't be evil, but at the same time I don't want to lose the heart and soul of Zelda.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Somebody said a while ago that Twilight Princess would be the last traditional Zelda game, implying that the next one will be redesigned from the ground up for the Wii. I'm not really sure what they could change though. It wouldn't be Zelda if it weren't an adventure game. I doubt the general premise will change much, but combat definitely needs to be revamped for the wiimote, especially the sword controls.

Zek on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You guys are crazy.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Somebody said a while ago that Twilight Princess would be the last traditional Zelda game, implying that the next one will be redesigned from the ground up for the Wii. I'm not really sure what they could change though. It wouldn't be Zelda if it weren't an adventure game. I doubt the general premise will change much, but combat definitely needs to be revamped for the wiimote, especially the sword controls.

Miyamoto said that.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    ShadowoftheKatamariShadowoftheKatamari Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    "Have you seen any octarocks in black suits?"

ShadowoftheKatamari on
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I imagine we'll probably see a similar adventure game, with classic monsters and items. However, everything will be designed from the ground up for Wii controls. There'll probably be a new fighting system, a bunch of puzzles solved through interesting use of waggle, and some new items that work especially well with the wii remote. I'm thinking there will definitely be something like the ocarina or wind waker wand thing, that'll be used by moving the wii remote in various ways.

I'm most curious about how Nintendo will do the graphics. More realistic like Twilight Princess? Back to Celda? Something new?

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I would prefer for less dungeons and more focus on the overworld.

Couscous on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well here's a radical idea - get rid of all the classic Zelda items. Hear me out before you cast stones.

Take away the hookshots, the boomerangs, the magic powders, the bow and arrow sets, etc. It runs the risk of killing the soul of Zelda games but I'd risk it if it forces the Nintendo devs to come up with new items for new puzzles. Yeah, throw the boomerang to cut down hanging vines - we've seen that 3 times already. Toss the bommerang puzzles out with the boomerang and give fans some new items to play with.

...do not give Link a pistol, though. Shadow the Hedgehog sounded like it was terrible.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, Zelda needs new puzzles. Anyone experienced with the series should be able to solve most of them on sight.

Elendil on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Namrok wrote: »
    We've explored Hyrule enough by now I'd say, perhaps take it somewhere else. Maybe explore the Twilight Realm in a Majora's Mask style expansion pack/sequel?

Or...WW spoilers
    The new land that Link and tetra went off to look for.

Phantom Hourglass (which is coming out relatively soon) is supposed to take place directly after Wind Waker ... so that may end up being what you do in that game.

Man, I hope this doesn't lead to some bullshit continuity conversation.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Regarding voice, I thought Midna worked really well having Ico/SotC-esque random vocalisations with her dialogue, and think it would be interesting if all characters but Link did something along the same idea when speaking.

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I think getting rid of all or most of the old items might be a good idea. I also agree on less dungeons and more overworld exploration. It's not my favourite game but MM showed that you don't need a dozen dungeons in a Zelda game to please fans.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Regarding voice, I thought Midna worked really well having Ico/SotC-esque random vocalisations with her dialogue, and think it would be interesting if all characters but Link did something along the same idea when speaking.

I suspect this could grow old quite quickly.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well here's a radical idea - get rid of all the classic Zelda items. Hear me out before you cast stones.

Take away the hookshots, the boomerangs, the magic powders, the bow and arrow sets, etc. It runs the risk of killing the soul of Zelda games but I'd risk it if it forces the Nintendo devs to come up with new items for new puzzles. Yeah, throw the boomerang to cut down hanging vines - we've seen that 3 times already. Toss the bommerang puzzles out with the boomerang and give fans some new items to play with.

...do not give Link a pistol, though. Shadow the Hedgehog sounded like it was terrible.

This I could go along with. As long as they actually gave all the items a use after the dungeon that you aquire them in. I'm growing tired of getting items like the Dominion Rod, using it in the dungeon I get it in, then only using it about 3-4 more times after that.

Non-formulaic bosses would be a nice change too. Yes, keep the "use dungeon item to beat dungeon boss" mechanic, but spice it up a bit. I want more bosses like the TP Fire temple where It actually took me a good5 minutes to figure out what I was suppose to do. Too many bosses these days are "Well I just got a bow, and this guys has a big fucking eye, why whatever should I do?!"
    <3 Ghoma

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    SynonymousSynonymous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Tell me this is a reference to something stupid one of the devs said and not meant to be funny on its own merits.

Synonymous on
  • Options
    ShadowoftheKatamariShadowoftheKatamari Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    To be more serious than my last post, I too would like to see much more of a focus on the overworld, as well as less linear gameplay. I liked how TP had a bigger overworld than OOT, but I didn't spend much time there because there wasn't much to do out there. Also, having the horse too early kind of ruined the whole "bigger overworld" thing anyway.

ShadowoftheKatamari on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Synonymous wrote: »

Tell me this is a reference to something stupid one of the devs said and not meant to be funny on its own merits.

Yeah it'd be great! Zelda and Link get mixed up. Zelda grows up in a small village and wears a green tunic and Link is a beuatiful Princess.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I would like to see some improvements in the combat. Just removing the auto-block and giving the enemies better AI would be a huge improvement over TP. Bring back the swarms. It never seemed like you were attacked by more than two competent enemies at any given time.

Beyond that, I'd like to see them expand on learning new moves. They can really utilize the remote for several gestures for several different sword techniques. Also, removing the auto-block will make it easier for the game to tell the difference between a shield bash and a spin slash.

For the overworld, I want to see a mixture of A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask. I like the idea of being able to go pretty much where ever I want from the start of the game, like in ALttP, even if I still need to progress through the story in a linear fashion. I also want to see the kind of NPC interation they had in MM. That, and I just want to be mobbed by animal-riding monsters everytime I go for a ride across Hyrule.

I guess, in some ways, the series needs to take a step back in some ways, just as much as it need to take a step forward in others.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    To be more serious than my last post, I too would like to see much more of a focus on the overworld, as well as less linear gameplay. I liked how TP had a bigger overworld than OOT, but I didn't spend much time there because there wasn't much to do out there. Also, having the horse too early kind of ruined the whole "bigger overworld" thing anyway.

I agree and also add that (and I maybe shot for this) I would like to see warp points abolished. Sure they're are really convient but when you're just zipping from one location to another in the blink of an eye you never really need take a look around and live in the world itself.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    SynonymousSynonymous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Yeah it'd be great! Zelda and Link get mixed up. Zelda grows up in a small village and wears a green tunic and Link is a beuatiful Princess.

I meant the "lol vacuum" thing.

Synonymous on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Also, having the horse too early kind of ruined the whole "bigger overworld" thing anyway.
    I disagree. Having the horse later would have just made walking around from place to place as Link really boring (ie: crossing Hyrule Field in OOT on foot). If anything they gave you the horse call way too late in the game. There were many times in between gaining the ability to warp, but before getting the horse call, where I felt like riding to my next destination, but the walk to the nearest batch of horse grass was too long, so I just warped.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dirty wrote: »
    For the overworld, I want to see a mixture of A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask. I like the idea of being able to go pretty much where ever I want from the start of the game, like in ALttP, even if I still need to progress through the story in a linear fashion. I

I guess, in some ways, the series needs to take a step back in some ways, just as much as it need to take a step forward in others.

To add to that I would like to be able to go anywhere I like (with little exceptions of course) and also for there to be something for me to do when I get there. I find that there is nothing quite so depressing as running around an epmty zone with nothing and no one around :(

A more free roaming game would be a step forward and also a step back to Zelda's roots.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You guys are crazy. They're going to keep making Zelda games in the same vein as TP/WW/OoT forever. And you're going to keep buying them because it's a tradition and there'll be a few new puzzle types for each outing.

All I want is a VC, 4 swords. Online playable!

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Ah well link could still have a vacuum. Forest fairy children have to do the cleaning too.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Ah well link could still have a vacuum. Forest fairy children have to do the cleaning too.

Gust Jar?

Pata on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    RedShell wrote: »
    You guys are crazy. They're going to keep making Zelda games in the same vein as TP/WW/OoT forever. And you're going to keep buying them because it's a tradition and there'll be a few new puzzle types for each outing.

All I want is a VC, 4 swords. Online playable!

I don't think that's true. Miyamoto has often said about his games "familiar locations, new experiences". From many other companies I would be skeptical but Nintendo have a history and shaking things up.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Pata wrote: »

Gust Jar?

Jar Of Winds.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Pata wrote: »

Gust Jar?

Jar Of Winds.

No no.

Gust Jar.

An item in Minish Cap.

It's a vaccum. :P

Pata on