As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] FemShep Trailer Released. USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    like i am sitting here, at this moment, trying to shoot something literally directly in front of me watching my missiles veer off at a 90 degree angle to not hit something that's like 100 feet away

and it's just like

how does this happen

how

seriously, what the hell

also, I want to punch whoever decided that saving during them (and during the end of Mordin's recruitment) shouldn't be allowed

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    yeah the hammerhead is unreasonable.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Makes the Mako look like a Ferrari.

Also makes one think bioware was trolling those who thought the Mako sucked.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Whenever I do the Hammerhead sections I just turn the difficulty down to casual so I can finish them as quickly as possible and get that biotic upgrade.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Whenever I do the Hammerhead sections I just turn the difficulty down to casual so I can finish them as quickly as possible and get that biotic upgrade.

yeah that's what I do

Having to sit around corners on higher difficulties abusing the homing missiles is just dumb

• Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Although I always prefer tracked or wheeled vehicles in games, The Hammerhead actually wouldn't be so bad... if the armor wasn't explosive tissue-paper, and the gun didn't have a mind of its own.

Say what you will about the Mako, but at least it hit what you aimed at, and could endure more than 3 or 4 hits.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Technically speaking, it wasn't a whole lot better on insanity either but at least small arms fire didn't decimate it in 2 seconds. Of course the whole "nick some lava and instantly die" factor is still there with the Mako.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Didn't the hammerhead have homing missles? I'd like a hybrid of the two in ME3. Of course we don't need it.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I vote we just fly the Normandy at surface-level and bomb/laser everything.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    I'd rather them have no vehicle sections unless they want to do it properly. Give me something with some actual weight, that is fun and doesn't involve trying to climb randomly generated terrain with a skybox. There are so many great FPS games (and Third Person Games) that have added very fun vehicle sections. Resistance Fall of Man's tank (honestly, how did we fucking lose the war with tanks like that?) and Gears of War 2s Reaver section were fantastic diversions from the main gameplay. They weren't especially challenging, but they were fun and broke the game up nicely.

A paper thin tank that involves jumping and spamming the fire button (which I admit, isn't much different from the Mako either) is just not fun.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Bioware are RPG boys, they're only just now getting the hang of good combat.

See ME1 combat vs ME2 combat.

There was literally no reason to do any of the ground Geth incursion missions during Tali's loyalty quest. Every site could have been hit with rods from god in orbit.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite things about the ME games is the landing on a random planet(not so much in 2) and roaming around in the MAKO. Yeah. It's pointless after a while but I'm roaming on the moon!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The Hammerhead is bad.

It's not algorithimically generated terrain bad, though. Mostly because Bioware woke the fuck up and realized it's a bad fucking idea.

The Mako does handle like a double-decker bus with no suspension and a self-correcting feature (not needed on a floating vehicle), but suffers from the godawful level design associated with it. The Mako could be a fucking aircraft with a meter square footprint, and it would still suck to explorer 90% of planets.

Crossing Random Planet 52's purple Alps to find the last goddamn orange map marker....the horror....the horror. Between spamming its little howitzer or spamming rockets, I hope there are no vehicle sections in ME3. Period. Though I might be alone when I say I'd much rather be charging someone and stabbing them in the face repeatedly with some sort of biotic gauntlet.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    What, you can't be dismissing the Mako's cannon, can you? It was the best part, and the only thing that needed to be salvaged from the Mako. All I have wanted as a heavy weapon is the Mako cannon, or the nearest equivalent.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Eh, it seems like we've come a long way since ME1--algorithimically generated terrain, AI shooting at walls, some of the worse grenades ever--to ME3. As much fun as "explode someone's face off" is, there's a lot of ways to do that. The Mako's gun just doesn't even seem that special, even with the coax machinegun.

Why use a Mako howitzer when I can throw a singularity in their face personally? If you're talking vehicle firepower, need to scale it up, really. SR2-sized weapons. The Mako doesn't cut it, personally.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RobotSpammerRobotSpammer Registered User regular

This.
    My first few runs with the Mako weren't so bad, I even chuckled when recalling complaints about the horrible Mako. Then I meet my first jagged slope planet and it tested me. With will power, I overcame that trial but then another one followed, followed by another one, and eventually I'm damn sure I was navigating 90 degree angles on these damn planets. It was hell and all I could think to myself was "the horrible Mako".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I had no such chuckle. But then again, driving up a jagged purple wall masquerading as a mountain side/crater face/totally believable tectonic earth formation the first time was enough to let me know what was in store.

If you want a vehicle, let us obliterate everything from an airborne cruiser. It's the future, goddamn it.

• Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    Let's just make something clear. The Mako was not bad. The Mako was awesome. It was a friggen moon rover with jump packs and a turret. The Mako was awesome. The goofy terrain and wonky aiming over said terrain, paired with very minimal actual boost, that was terrible. I enjoyed the pathed bits with the Mako. Blasting a Geth across the surface of a planet with the cannon, running over enemies. It was fun.

You give me a Mako that shoots like an Abrahms and has actual lift and I'll take it against a Reaper.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I thought the Mako was equally as bad as well because it handled awfully and felt like it had no weight (like a toy car). Also generally speaking, I always wanted to get back to punching doods and shooting them with the weapons I had been acquiring all game. The way to improve the mako was to make its gameplay not suck and then almost Valkyria Chronicles it as a piece of equipment. Let me upgrade it to my liking, giving it better guns, better engines, more armor and whatever else comes to mind.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The Mako, on normal, non-satanic terrain was...okay. Being generous there. Mediocre handling, humorous gun.

I've played way too many good third-person vehicle games to call it awesome. As Aegeri pointed out, poor, toy-like handling.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I again, direct any of you to play Resistance Fall of Man and get to the levels with the tank. Now that is a fucking tank and it's still a damn amazing tank on hard difficulties.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Hell, Mercenaries (and the sequel) show how to fucking make an wheeled IFV with a gun work. I want a Eezo-powered BTR-90 with a cannon, not a shoebox.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I would personally like if we totally stay away from wheeled vehicles. Using them at all is idiotic when you have things like the Kodiak dropship or the cabs on Ilium which are ridiculously mobile in the atmosphere. Am I Commander Shepard or some poor schlub stuck in the twenty-first century? The Mako and the Hammerhead both feel like cast-off rejects of ancient technologies while everyone else gets to play with the shiny new toys.

Piloting the Atlas mechs could also be fun, especially if they have it control like Shepard does normally just 12 feet tall.

Z0re on
  • Options
    In some ways, what I quietly dream about is having them implement space combat for some sections and have it actually be fun.

I have crazy dreams :(

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Trying to do space combat is an exercise in futility.

Either you make it realistic-ish, and consistent with the lore, and its horrifically boring and over in a volley of fire from millions of kilometers away. Everyone bitches about it not being fun or exciting, worthless addition at best.

Or you go crazy and have the pew-pew fighter action and have everyone bitch about it. Plus, even games with dedicated combat designed around space nearly universally control and play like shit and I have no hope that a tacked on mode in Mass Effect would be fun after the Mako and Hammerhead.

Z0re on
  • Options
    The visual depiction in-universe takes typical liscence with 'pew pew' visual range fighting. I don't see a problem.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Z0re wrote:
    Trying to do space combat is an exercise in futility.

Either you make it realistic-ish, and consistent with the lore, and its horrifically boring and over in a volley of fire from millions of kilometers away. Everyone bitches about it not being fun or exciting, worthless addition at best.

Or you go crazy and have the pew-pew fighter action and have everyone bitch about it. Plus, even games with dedicated combat designed around space nearly universally control and play like shit and I have no hope that a tacked on mode in Mass Effect would be fun after the Mako and Hammerhead.

This is the sad truth.

The last games I've played with good space combat are: Wing Commander: Prophecy/Secret Ops, Freespace 2, Independence War (Independence War 2 was also fun, but a bit dumbed down in comparison), and X-Wing: Alliance.

X3:TC looks amazing, the sectors are large, the universe enormous, the economic possibilities endless. But actually fighting is terrible because it's some mish-mash that's not quite full Newtonian and not quite "fuck everything, we're putting wings on a fighter in space just because. Fix the flight model and make the dogfighting fun and it would be great. Well, the story missions would still be idiotic, but then I wouldn't care.

Evochron Mercenary ends up being like X3, but without the economic possibilities and a slightly better flight model (almost full Newtonian)--but the combat is still pretty crappy. You can fly down to planets, which is cool, but why would you? Plus the UI is awful.

The only good thing I can say is that at least the genre is getting some attention after being neglected for the last 10 years...I'm still waiting for that mythical holy grail of a space sim that will replace some of the older ones, because it's awfully hard to tolerate playing games at 640x480 resolution these days.

Orca on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    The best part of the Mako was running over something with it, then just boosting into the air and landing on it over and over until it died.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Or when you nick a piece of lava with 1/10 of your front wheel and instantly die.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    I was re-watching the Special Forces trailer, and ended up noticing a blink-and-you'll-miss-it surprise around 1:01.

Anyone else catch that?

blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Razia wrote:
    I was re-watching the Special Forces trailer, and ended up noticing a blink-and-you'll-miss-it surprise around 1:01.

Anyone else catch that?

I see Anderson, Shepard and Garrus walking out of a shuttle?

EDIT: Wait, I see it now. REALSPOILERS for a character
    We see a little of the prothean samurai!

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    ^ I wasn't spoiled but that is a big character spoiler FYI

Also, that shit is crazy if that's what it is

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So I thought people might be interested in this. A full listing of the weapon upgrades (since we already have a full list of the available weapons): http://sticktwiddlers.com/2012/02/02/full-list-of-mass-effect-3s-weapons-upgrades/

Could be bullshit, but looks plausible. Spoilered for hugeness.

Pistol:
    Pistol High Caliber Barrel
    Increases damage by ?
    The weapon accepts wider projectiles to cause more trauma on impact; these are ballistically optimized so as not to lose penetrative power.

Pistol Melee Taser
    Increases melee damage by ?
    A small attachment to the base of the muzzle which causes massive damage to meleed targets.

Pistol Scope
    Increases accuracy by ?
    A simple 2x optical scope to enhance accuracy and stability while zoomed. Reduces aim error while moving and taking damage.

Pistol Magazine Upgrade
    Increases rounds per magazine by ?
    Increases the magazine density of the weapon, allowing more shots to be fired.

Pistol Grip Stabilizer
    Increases stability by 30%
    Channels the weapon’s recoil back into the shooter’s arm rather than the air allowing for better kick absorption.

Submachine Gun:
    SMG High Caliber Barrel
    Increases damage by ?
    The weapon accepts wider projectiles to cause more trauma on impact; these are ballistically optimized so as not to lose penetrative power.

SMG Scope
    Increases accuracy by ?
    A simple 2x optical scope to enhance accuracy and stability while zoomed. Reduces aim error while moving and taking damage.

SMG Ultralight Materials
    Reduces weapon weight by ?
    Superior light-weight alloys replace most weapon parts, making the weapon easier to handle and less obtrusive when using powers.

SMG Magazine Upgrade
    Increases rounds per magazine by ?

SMG Enhanced Stock
    Increases accuracy by 6% and stability by 30%
    A buttstock cushioned with “ShockWise” smart synthetic padding to absorb recoil and allow for fast shouldering without slips or catches. Multi-stage recoil compensation allows for more

SMG Heat Sink
    Every round fired has a ?% chance of not consuming any ammo.
    Increases the heat conductivity of the thermal clip receiver, allowing more heat to be vented and more shots to be fired before malfunction. Completely negates the heat generated by some shots.

SMG E-Material Heat Sink
    Increases rounds per magazine by 40%
    Increases the heat conductivity of the thermal clip receiver, allowing more heat to be vented and more shots to be fired before malfunction.

Shotgun:
    Shotgun Shredder Mod
    Allows bullets to pierce through ? meter objects, but at ? reduced damage. Also ignores ?% of defenses on armored targets.

Shotgun High Caliber Barrel
    Increases damage by

Shotgun Smart Choke
    Increases accuracy by ?
    Servo motors hooked up to an adjustable system allow the shotgun to tighten or loosen its pellet spread for maximum accuracy.

Shotgun Blade Attachment
    Increases melee damage by ?
    A tungsten carbide bayonet with a recessed edge to provide maximum cutting surface.

Shotgun Spare Ammo
    Increases spare ammo capacity by ?
    Adds sockets to increase the total spare ammo capacity for this weapon.

Assault Rifle:
    Assault Rifle Precision Scope
    Increases accuracy by ?
    A simple 4x optical scope to enhance accuracy and stability while zoomed. Reduces aim error while moving and taking damage.

Assault Rifle Extended Barrel
    Increases damage by 25%.
    A longer version of the original barrel, resulting in greater bullet velocity and energy imparted.

Assault Rifle Stability Damper
    Increases weapon stability by 30%
    Distributes recoil with a sliding system of counterweights compatible with kinetic coil generators. Reduces overall weapon kickback while firing.

Assault Rifle E-Material Heat Sink
    Increases rounds per magazine by 40%.

Assault Rifle Piercing Mod
    Allows bullets to pierce through ? meter objects, but at ? reduced damage. Also ignores ?% of defenses on armored targets.

Sniper Rifle:
    Sniper Rifle Extended Barrel
    Increases damage by ?%.
    A longer version of the original barrel, resulting in greater bullet velocity and energy imparted.

Sniper Rifle Concentration Module
    Increases damage by ?% and enhances concentration while aiming, slowing down the world around you by ?% for a brief time.
    Biometric sensors and auto-targeting software adjust for the shooter’s pulse and breathing, assisting aim.

Sniper Rifle Enhanced Scope
    Increases accuracy by ?
    A stability-enhancing scope that increases accuracy and decreases aim error while moving and taking damage.

Sniper Rifle Spare Ammo
    Increases spare ammo capacity by ?%.
    Adds sockets to increase the total spare ammo capacity for this weapon.

Sniper Rifle Piercing Mod
    Allows bullets to pierce through ? meter objects, but at ?% reduced damage. Also ignores ?% of defenses on armored targets.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    urgh.
    oh well, at least the story will be good and coherent.
    right!?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    So is the special edition available anywhere in the UK?

Someone linked something in the used games thread indicating that a character was only available with it but can't seem to find it anywhere. Seems like a pretty shitty thing to lock out a piece of content like that.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Said character is day one DLC. You just get him/her for free if you bought the collector's edition.

Razia on
    blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Man, after watching that new vid again I just want to play Mass Effect 3 already! I want to pay Vega back for making Shepard bleed his own blood. Shepard can go toe-to-toe with a Yagh for crying out loud. No way should Vega be capable of hurting Shepard in hand to hand combat.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    IIRC, Shep never took several direct (and hard) hits to the face before.

blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Oh so the collector's is just the first run?

They need to get rid of those silly titles.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal