Options

Cold calling for work - Experiences?

XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
I am currently a junior majoring in accounting at a major university three miles away from home.

After having failed to land an internship at one of the Big Four accounting firms this summer (had one interview with KPMG, no offers), I have decided to take a more radical path to seeking employment this summer. In the past hour, I have compiled a list of 20 local accounting/tax preparation firms, ranging from one-man operations to slightly bigger operations comprising of a few dozen people. Tomorrow afternoon, when I get home from school, I'll be calling three to four firms for internships and remind the person/partner on the other line that it's tax season, and I will be very happy to work for free.

I've never done this before, but I believe that this is the best way for me to land an internship of some kind this summer so that I am a bit more competitive come full-time recruiting next fall.

Has anyone cold called for work before? Did it work for you?

XX55XX on

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Dont work for free, since it implies you dont know what you are doing, and might screw up their taxes, which will cost them more money in the long run. This is especially true since most times they can write off the tax preperation which means they dont really lose any money in the first place.

Second, this is the wrong forum for a post like this, I would recommend Help/Advice, since that seems to be what you are looking for.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski