As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

1333435363739»

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I just got confused when I tried it

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Oof, many memories of using ratpoison and stumpwm in grad school. I loved it. It was so much work.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    KDE 6 has been released:

https://kde.org/announcements/megarelease/6/

I've always had a fondness for Qt. It's just a cool GUI framework. :)

• Options
    Anticipating with interest when it hits the distro I use.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    Anticipating with interest when it hits the distro I use.

Further to this: KDE6 hit Garuda something over a week ago. I kept getting "unresolvable dependency" warnings from the Updater, so I did the fine, brave, manly thing and just didn't update for a bit. Tried again on Thursday and boosh, KDE6! It's not hugely different, and there was about 30 minutes of fiddling about with panels and things to get stuff back where I want it on my rather eccentric monitor layout, but basically a fairly painless "major change". I was pleased that it's much better at automounting my non-root hard drives, which for some reason was a Nope before. Now it works like a person would expect and that's good.

I was more more pleased with, this morning, I actually looked at the login screen and huh, what do you know, I guess I'm using Wayland now. I had "do the research and find out if Wayland is suitable for my setup and hardware" on my Will Eventually Need To Be Done List and it turns out that yeah it's fine actually.

The moral here is: apathetically waiting for problems to just go away works, people!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Hey nerds. Guess I'll start rambling about my nonsense in here too.
    Echo wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    I've reached the Blinky Lights stage. Now to start flashing nodes with an OS image.

0oqh5tppvsdu.png

I was going to stop there for tonight, but then I accidentally a cluster.

h4sezaorskwi.png

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://www.phoronix.com/news/Red-Hat-Nova-Rust-Abstractions
    Red Hat's display driver team has recently been devising plans for Nova, a new to-be-developed Linux DRM kernel driver written in Rust for open-source NVIDIA graphics support as the successor/replacement to Nouveau for newer NVIDIA GPU generations supporting the GPU System Processor (GSP). Making this effort all the more involved is being written in Rust at a time when various kernel abstractions are still being devised and not yet upstreamed.

Nova is ultimately aiming to be a modern open-source NVIDIA Linux DRM driver for Turing GPUs and newer (RTX 2000 series) where there is the GPU System Processor (GSP) support. The Nouveau DRM driver recently mainlined optional support for the GSP -- or mandatory support beginning with the latest RTX 40 series -- while Nova will be a modern replacement, written in Rust, and without the Nouveau baggage that's built up over the years in supporting NVIDIA GPUs going back to its early days.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    I hear that the snap version of Steam can be troublesome, to the extent that Valve have said not to bother reporting issues to them. I will be interested to hear your experience, if you're using it.

• Options
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'll have to watch this later, I have had a lot of problems with sourcing laptops lately. System76 has really degraded in quality, and they keep putting realtek adapters in their laptops and we have had unending problems with those in the field when my techs need to test a device and their network interface just starts toggling on and off randomly and other stupid shit.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    edited April 18
    It's more about making sure you have the right settings to not waste battery power. But good advice nonetheless; I have as a result switched my laptop to "Hybrid" GPU mode.

PS That's a shame about System76 though.

V1m on
  • Options
    One thing I'll say about that video is that you can't trust your web browser claiming that hardware video decode is enabled. That's something you need to test in real time while a video is playing and then troubleshoot from there.

• Options
    edited April 18
    So basically that setting is more of a "sure, I'll give it a try"?

V1m on
  • Options
    V1m wrote: »
    So basically that setting is more of a "sure, I'll give it a try"?

Apparently. Afaik the best source of information on the topic is the Arch wiki entries for Chromium and/or Firefox, There’s also an Arch forum thread on the topic of Chromium hardware video acceleration which imo underscores that Google can break support in any given update.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I had terrible battery life on my framework under both Fedora and Ubuntu. It’s the primary reason I’m using Windows right now.

I really wish I could just use Linux, 90% of the work I do is just better in it. I don’t like WSL very much, but it is functional.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    edited April 19
    The battery life on my laptop got way better for no apparent reason about 9 months ago (basically doubled, also it was running a lot cooler), by which I mean it sure wasn't anything I did.

When I checked the various settings TLE listed above they were all as he describes, leading me to believe that Firefox (or at least Garuda's version of it) changed from "sure I'll give it a try (lol)" to "oh you meant that MX450? Cool, we doing this!".

Also there have been several power-saving and power-management changes in the kernel changelogs this last year or so, from which I infer that someone finally started caring about this issue enough to actually do some work on it. Quite likely it was Valve upstreaming stuff they did for the Steam Deck, now I come to think about it. Handhelds live or die on battery life, so they have a strong vested interest in eking out every extra minute they can.

NB: Also I was somewhat reassured to see that the battery reports 91% health after ~2.5 years of pretty much daily use.

V1m on