As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Beta sign-ups closed at over ONE MILLION!

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Quintessin wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »
    lu tze wrote: »
    steejee wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    And I personally like the Charr because they are hideous. Arenanet had the balls to make a beast race and not bow to the internets desire for everything ever to be ~so svelte and sexy~. No they are completely inhuman and unpleasant to look at and I dig it.

They didn't go the retarded Worgen route with this.

AKA 'No boobs!' *cough*everybeastlywowrace*cough*
    But they do have boobs... Six of them in fact.

Stop giving Caedere ideas.

:lol:

As if.

You're about... um... two years too late for that.

Anyway, I think the charr are absolutely adorable. Then again, I think things that are monstrous and scary, with huge fangs and horns and bestial savagery are fucking cute, so there you go.

Judging by your icon and signature, I find this hard to believe.

Caedere is good people. He, like Yeoman Chambers, loves many different races that come in all shapes, sizes and sexual orientations.

Hey. Hey.

She was Kelly in my game. :winky:

EDIT: Also, Quintessin, if I am not mistaken, I think you just called me a liar.

You callin' me out, boy? You challengin' me?

Looks like I gots to proves you wrong.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    815165 wrote: »
    Really not using WoW's colour system at this point is kinda silly considering how many people are familiar with it.

=/

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the thinking that has lead to so many terrible, copycat MMOs out there.

This line of thinking is why so many copycat MMOs refuse to include various common sense things that WOW did just because WOW did them

Again, I'm looking at you SWTOR

Including an item coloring system that people are familiar with makes sense. Do you also advocate changing the default movement keys from WASD because doing otherwise would be being a copycat?
    Enig wrote: »
    18 minutes of WvW from TB. Now, this isn't commentated as far as I can tell (I don't have sound at work), but it is footage if you want to watch. I think the actual commentary is some gaming news stuff. Maybe just mute it and watch if you are bored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_G-df84Zow

Is that how bosses typically go in this game? DPS until you get on low health and then back off and wait around forever because there are no healers? I don't see how you're supposed to see when to dodge with that many players standing around wailing on it

override367 on
  • Options
    You realize that most MMOs don't use WASD, right? They have "A" and "D" bound to turning, instead of strafing. Which is stupid.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Considering there is a game called Guild Wars I would have thought that they would have made a few design decisions with regards to item colours from their previous game. Looking at the colours they pretty much make sense.

Blue might have been better than green in WoW, but blue in GW1 is the lowest tier of magical item.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Rabble rabble change is bad rabble rabble

This is irrelevant anyway, none of us will care when the game's out. Fuck WoW.

EDIT: QUINTESSIN I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY YOU MADE SWEETIE BELL GO AWAY

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    815165 wrote: »
    Really not using WoW's colour system at this point is kinda silly considering how many people are familiar with it.

=/

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the thinking that has lead to so many terrible, copycat MMOs out there.

This line of thinking is why so many copycat MMOs refuse to include various common sense things that WOW did just because WOW did them

Again, I'm looking at you SWTOR

Including an item coloring system that people are familiar with makes sense. Do you also advocate changing the default movement keys from WASD because doing otherwise would be being a copycat?

These lines of thinking are why we can't have nice things.

There are more roads to good design than "lets be like X/lets not be like X." The coloring scheme they chose serves more purpose than "it's not like WoW!" EDIT: My spelling is flawles

Just like people should never use WASD so long as you can two button click to run and change direction. Set A and D to strafe, let the mouse do the rest.

Cept in Guild Wars 2 where you can double tap keys to roll which makes WASD awesome again, but shut up :bz
    18 minutes of WvW from TB. Now, this isn't commentated as far as I can tell (I don't have sound at work), but it is footage if you want to watch. I think the actual commentary is some gaming news stuff. Maybe just mute it and watch if you are bored.

Is that how bosses typically go in this game? DPS until you get on low health and then back off and wait around forever because there are no healers? I don't see how you're supposed to see when to dodge with that many players standing around wailing on it

If you want it to be like that, sure.

Otherwise, you suck it up and pick up something else so you aren't just sitting there like a lump until it's safe to play again.

DOUBLE EDIT: Hey guys, I'm trying to talk here. You're totally stealing my thunder. Totally.

naengwen on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    EDIT: QUINTESSIN I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY YOU MADE SWEETIE BELL GO AWAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5d8eJsZobc&feature=related

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    Yeah, the item rarity color scheme is from Guild Wars, it's not like they made it up to be contrary :).

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    I think charr look great.

That is all.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options

That is all.

As do I, but that should hopefully now be very obvious. :P

I wanted to wait until I had something in color to avvy/sig-ize, but... NOOOOO, Quintessin had to open his mouth!

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

That is all.

Just sayin'

EDIT:
    Pfft, Charr had their Gods/masters killed by the 'inferior' races, twice! Can't really have too much pride in worshipping the crap out of two different species (second one less than the first) only to watch them get beat down by mere mortals who aren't you.

To be fair that was mostly just the shamans.

They're a bunch of nerds. Like - get this - they prefer standing up straight. Charr mostly listened to 'em cuz they laid down the buffs when it was time to kill shit, but in the end they were just asking for an ass whuppin'. And this time, everyone gets to join in the fun!

naengwen on
  • Options
    When I log in, I'm going to make my charr /sleep and then /scared or whatever it is over and over and over and over again, in an endless cycle of animation-y win.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    You realize that most MMOs don't use WASD, right? They have "A" and "D" bound to turning, instead of strafing. Which is stupid.

A and D usually turn into strafe when you're mouselooking though, that how I played GW1 anyway.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I typically use WAD. S gets bound to my go-to defensive ability. I would use ESF, but that puts left ctrl out from under my pinkie and feels weird so ptooie upon it.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Y'know, I WOULD change WASD. ESDF is far superior to WASD in every way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    I feel like I accomplished something today, right here in this thread. You all saw it.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    If I didn't have my yummy Naga I'd feel honor bound to use ESF. But nyet! Thumb buttons and modifiers save the day.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    When I log in, I'm going to make my charr /sleep and then /scared or whatever it is over and over and over and over again, in an endless cycle of animation-y win.

But then how will we have amazing adventure times in Tyria together? :(

488W936.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I can't use ESDF because twenty years of muscle memory.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Only communists and humanitarians keep [Shuffle Backward Slowly] bound!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Just plug in a gamepad. To practice for the inevitable console port.

488W936.png
  • Options

But then how will we have amazing adventure times in Tyria together? :(
    That... is what /whisper is for.
    :winky:

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options

Just plug in a gamepad. To practice for the inevitable console port.

How's that gonna help with ESDF?

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

If you use homerow for typing it should override WASD without much thought, at least it did for me. I find it harder to use WASD because I have to move my hand over and off where it normally rests when typing. That little raised notch on F is comforting. :D

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Basil wrote: »
    I typically use WAD. S gets bound to my go-to defensive ability. I would use ESF, but that puts left ctrl out from under my pinkie and feels weird so ptooie upon it.
    God walking among mere mortals.

NEVAR AGAIN TEH BACKPEDALLIN TYMES

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Hahahahahhaha! Oh my.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    A lot of games now don't even have a backpedaling animation. Your character turns around and runs full-speed without the camera turning, as it should be.

Quintessin on
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular

Same boat as reVerse. Plus, I use Caps Lock as my PTT vent key, so ESDF makes it uncomfortable.

However, since GW2 doesn't seem to suffer from the same carpal tunnel inducing skill-bloat as SW:TOR, I should be fine. I won't need to bind 35 hotkeys.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Depending on how much money I want to blow on crap when the game comes out I'm either going to rebind the keys to ESDF or buy a Razer Nostromo. In any case my hands are big enough that I can still reach caps lock, shift, etc. I just want more room to rebind the skill keys.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'll definitely be rebinding the 6-0 skills to something more convenient.

• Options
    Apparently you can't use shift and ctrl as modifiers, at least not in the press beta. Whether or not they'll add that in, who knows.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Am I missing something? Looking at that video, I see 10 skills on the bar. I am assuming that is all the skills you can equip at one time. Now add maybe a few "other" binds... I'm not sure why we'd even need shift or ctrl. Alt + neutral is probably plenty to bind everything. =P A Naga or Nostromo seems overkill for GW2. Mind you, it's fine... just seems overkill.

am0n on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I was planning on using QERFC and shift+QERFC, didn't realise you couldn't use modifiers.

Can't have pinky doing nothing, lazy pinky.

815165 on
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    I use ESDF, but damn if it's not a pain to rebind every.single.game. At least I haven't seen one bind the default movement keys to the arrow keys in a while...

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular

That's... WvW, did you not read Enig's brief summary?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    am0n wrote: »
    Am I missing something? Looking at that video, I see 10 skills on the bar. I am assuming that is all the skills you can equip at one time. Now add maybe a few "other" binds... I'm not sure why we'd even need shift or ctrl. Alt + neutral is probably plenty to bind everything. =P A Naga or Nostromo seems overkill for GW2. Mind you, it's fine... just seems overkill.

I don't want to have to look down on my keyboard to find keys 6-0. They're too far away for me to find accurately.

• Options

10 skills, plus 1-4 class specifics, weapon switch, dodge. That's maximum of 16.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Same boat as reVerse. Plus, I use Caps Lock as my PTT vent key, so ESDF makes it uncomfortable.

However, since GW2 doesn't seem to suffer from the same carpal tunnel inducing skill-bloat as SW:TOR, I should be fine. I won't need to bind 35 hotkeys.

Years of muscle memory, plus the fact that... *checks* When I rest my fingers towards ESDF I have to hit my buttans with my PINKY, and my RING FINGER. Blarhghqhghunnatural.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

I don't want to have to look down on my keyboard to find keys 6-0. They're too far away for me to find accurately.

I thought it was implied you'd rebind 6-0, but it still seems overkill to need a fancy mouse or game-keypad thing for 10-16 hotkeys.

10 skills, plus 1-4 class specifics, weapon switch, dodge. That's maximum of 16.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Sarksus wrote: »

I thought it was implied you'd rebind 6-0, but it still seems overkill to need a fancy mouse or game-keypad thing for 10-16 hotkeys.

Like I said, it depends on whether I feel like buying some crap.

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.