As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In all the cantinas in all the world, why'd [Star Wars] have to walk into mine?

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Ok. At the very least it explains the editing.

You have 15 minutes of the girl trying to make it as a country singer, another 15 mintues of the nerd in Vietnam trying to survive/get out, then another 15 of the hot rodder trying to build his racer while falling for a pretty foreign girl.

No real interlude, just jump-jump-jump...

That was kind of the point of it. It was telling the 'follow up' stories to most of the characters but each story wasn't taking place at the same time. That way each one resolved more or less at the end of the film rather than in the first fifteen or twenty minutes.

Guess I can see it that way. Still though, there's no theming between them. Felt a lot like the ending of TPM, except that this time there's nothing to tie them together at the end.

Hey Lars, is that Secret book about the actual behind the scenes of the movie and what not? I think I could get into that.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Boring7 wrote: »
    Titanic.

I'm willing to bet (though I have no numbers at all to back me up) that if you were to take the combined revenue brought in by Star Wars it would crush the revenue from Titanic.
    I don't mean the box office take, I mean all the revenue. That includes the merchandising, VHS, DVD, BluRay releases, promotional tie-ins, licensing fees... the whole works.
    In that frame, I don't see anything beating Star Wars for quite some time. But I suppose it depends on how you define success in regards to movies.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Harry Potter may have it beat.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Ok. At the very least it explains the editing.

You have 15 minutes of the girl trying to make it as a country singer, another 15 mintues of the nerd in Vietnam trying to survive/get out, then another 15 of the hot rodder trying to build his racer while falling for a pretty foreign girl.

No real interlude, just jump-jump-jump...

That was kind of the point of it. It was telling the 'follow up' stories to most of the characters but each story wasn't taking place at the same time. That way each one resolved more or less at the end of the film rather than in the first fifteen or twenty minutes.

Guess I can see it that way. Still though, there's no theming between them. Felt a lot like the ending of TPM, except that this time there's nothing to tie them together at the end.

I'm not trying to say it was good. Only that the intent was to weave the different stories (and technically, eras, so to speak) into a single long thread. The original was a single night in the lives of a bunch of people. The sequel is trying to catch up with them as they adjust to getting older and growing up.

It would've been worse if they tried to tell the same stories but without intercutting between them.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Harry Potter likely won't, simply because it didn't have nearly the marketing tie-ins (other than the novels) and it didn't really stick the landing.

Though I am surprised at the incredibly high RT/MC scores for DHp2. That was not that great of a movie.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Harry Potter likely won't, simply because it didn't have nearly the marketing tie-ins (other than the novels) and it didn't really stick the landing.

Though I am surprised at the incredibly high RT/MC scores for DHp2. That was not that great of a movie.

What? The whole film series is making shittons of money and has tie-in products out the wizardly wazoo.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I love that this movie is over 10 years old and noone has fuckall of an idea of what was going on in it.

It makes me think of this, which is amazing if you have ever seen oldboy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BMgegut3UM

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

What? The whole film series is making shittons of money and has tie-in products out the wizardly wazoo.

Meh. It does have the vast LEGO sales and selection? Or the endless and decades-long series of action figures and toys? Are the films held as paragons of the cinematic artform? Did it spin off three (maybe four) TV series?

I didn't say Harry Potter didn't have tie-ins. I said it didn't have NEARLY the tie-ins.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Meh. It does have the vast LEGO sales and selection? Or the endless and decades-long series of action figures and toys? Are the films held as paragons of the cinematic artform? Did it spin off three (maybe four) TV series?

I didn't say Harry Potter didn't have tie-ins. I said it didn't have NEARLY the tie-ins.

Ah, I see, I thought we were talking compared to Titanic. Yeah, HP isn't anywhere near SW yet. But in thirty years, who knows.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Hey Lars, is that Secret book about the actual behind the scenes of the movie and what not? I think I could get into that.

Yeah, the author had a website of the same name but for some reason Google is telling me it's dangerous to my computer so I can't pull it up right now. He's got several articles up there (ie. Researching origin and development of Jabba and such). The book goes into much more detail starting with the writing of the original movie all the way up to the PT, though I've only been able to thumb through it so far.

• Options
    I think I remember that site. Didn't he have an article and the former Mrs. Lucas being his awesome editor for SW and ESB?
    Including how she had a building named after her somewhere (I think it was a film school campus, or it might be a building at the Ranch).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well, the Clone Wars' season ended...:
    The first episode had Savage Oppress (I hate that name) track down his brother - Darth Maul - to a junk planet. There, Maul is found to be completely and utterly batshit insane. He made his robotic lower half look like a spider, and generally skittered along in the darkness, surviving, but becoming mostly like an animal. He remembered Kenobi, and pain, and hate, but that was about it. It was interesting to see him so unhinged.

The second episode removed any interest the character had. Oppress brought him back to the Nightsister leader, where she purged Maul of madness and rebuilt his spider robot legs into something similar to what Grievous has. Elsewhere, Ventress takes the bounty on Oppress.

The evil brothers then attack a planet, and Maul tells the Jedi he won't stop unless Kenobi comes, alone. He does so, is ambushed by Oppress, and captured. Ventress sneaks on board their ship and helps Kenobi. The evil duo are too much for them, so they escape by separating the cockpit of the ship from the cargo hold, leaving it - and the brothers inside - in orbit of the planet below.

---

I like what the show has done to Ventress. Her arc has been well written, and well paced. Her transformation into an anti-hero is satisfying, and she adds a voice that is much needed on the show. She and Cad Bane help it all from becoming too Jedi/Sith top heavy.

The Oppress/Maul thing doesn't excite me. Oppress is incredibly one note, and not even Clancy Brown can make him interesting. Maul was far more compelling as an utterly broken Sith, forgotten by both Jedi and master. He's still unhinged, driven by vengeance, but it's all too familiar/formulaic. His drider form could have been used in interesting ways, driving up the fear factor. Probably a bitch to animate, though.

Overall, I was actually fairly entertained by this season. It still suffers from spinning its wheels (we never get a clear sense of how the war is actually going, or anything that seems to lead to Episode III), but as a purely character-driven work, this season mostly succeeded. Filler, like always, but the last few episodes were pretty good.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    Look at what I found:

han-shot-first.jpg

It's stuff like that that makes me think Lucas is trolling his fan-base with all the "real edition, no really" versions of his most successful property.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I loved Star Wars once. I really did. But now, after all the bullshit, rereleases, stupid ass justifications, and EU bullshit, I just have no enthusiasm for it. None at all.

I still love the original films. KotOR was the first RPG I ever played, and I love it dearly to this day. But fuck me sideways, George, what the fuck is up with your universe? FFS, you have a Clone Wars that has litterally ran for as along as the Iraq War.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Did everyone see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ezeYJUz-84

It's crowd-source A New Hope. Basically they asked people to remake 15-second segments of the movies in any way they wanted, and then they put it back into the entire thing. So can have a scene that starts in live-action, then randomly switches to lego, then cartoon, then cats.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Titanic.

I'm willing to bet (though I have no numbers at all to back me up) that if you were to take the combined revenue brought in by Star Wars it would crush the revenue from Titanic.
    I don't mean the box office take, I mean all the revenue. That includes the merchandising, VHS, DVD, BluRay releases, promotional tie-ins, licensing fees... the whole works.
    In that frame, I don't see anything beating Star Wars for quite some time. But I suppose it depends on how you define success in regards to movies.

One film versus six? Yeah, I'd have to give it to the six fucking films.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    When you have to start adjusting things for inflation or adding secondary sources just so you can make a claim that one movie did better than another, it's probably time to start re-evaluating why it matters so much.

The amount of money that Titanic made doesn't make Star Wars a retroactively lesser film because of it.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    When you have to start adjusting things for inflation or adding secondary sources just so you can make a claim that one movie did better than another, it's probably time to start re-evaluating why it matters so much.

The amount of money that Titanic made doesn't make Star Wars a retroactively lesser film because of it.

No, but it irritates people and that can be funny. And though this is entirely anecdotal it seems like most of the folks who went and watched it 6 times in theaters hate it now and think it was dumb. Which amuses me.

Boring7 on
  • Options
    What, Titanic?

Now they get to do it again. In 3D!

WOO!

Anyway, who gives a shit about Titanic? We're here to bitch about Star Wars.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Why are twi-leks so sexy? I mean, I suppose it's in nerd nature to have the hots for a girl with green skin. It's the lekku, isn't it?

• Options
    And the lack of body hair.

By my guess. Without dipping into the EU.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Oh god, it just dawned on me that this may actually be it.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Oh god, it just dawned on me that this may actually be it.

"I would like to dip my bald head in oil and rub it all over your body."

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I don't think Marcia Lucas is dead.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options

No, but it irritates people and that can be funny. And though this is entirely anecdotal it seems like most of the folks who went and watched it 6 times in theaters hate it now and think it was dumb. Which amuses me.

Wow, Star Wars and Titanic have more in common than I was expecting.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Why are twi-leks so sexy? I mean, I suppose it's in nerd nature to have the hots for a girl with green skin. It's the lekku, isn't it?

They are MOSTLY sexy because they are sexy. The fat, ugly, and dark-side rotted Twi-lek don't get much screentime. The other part is xenophilia, which has roots all over the place. Among other things it is (arguably) evolutionarily advantageous to mate outside your tribe and thus a biological imperative to, "till exotic fields." Also some folk are just freaky-deaky.

Personally I have been a little put-off by the Lekku ever since I found out they store brain-mass in there. Skulls were invented evolved for a reason folks, them brain meats shouldn't be swingin' around out where they can get squished up or hacked off.

But that's because I made the mistake of reading wookiepedia.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    So this is cool, one of the artier cinemas in town decided to invite Mike Stoklasa (or "Harry S. Plinkett") to Denmark to talk about Red Letter Media, show various clips and then do a full screening of the Phantom Menace review. Got my tickets ready and errything.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    That is Super Cool™. Cinemateket I assume? Love that place.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    So, Batman, William Shatner, and Twilight Sparkle walk into a cantina...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBzRmWeC6Ds&feature=player_embedded

• Options
    You know how virtually every character who appeared in the original films has some massive back story in the EU?

Why doesn't this guy?

I noticed him a long time ago when watching the films when I was little. I recently rewatched RotJ and noticed him again and decided to do some googling to see what big backstory the EU had given him to explain why he was a rebel who decided to dress like a Storm Trooper during the battle of Endor.

But the EU has done nothing with him (it took me forever to even find any information on him) aside from a single action figure and having his picture included on a few generic trading cards.

Nik Sant totally got snubbed by the EU. Especially when you look at the article for some like Ephant Mon.

• Options
    I would assume it involves banjos and sitting on porches playihg them.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    He got a cover of a Super Nintendo game
    1130126-snesphalanx01_super.jpg

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    You know how virtually every character who appeared in the original films has some massive back story in the EU?

Why doesn't this guy?

I noticed him a long time ago when watching the films when I was little. I recently rewatched RotJ and noticed him again and decided to do some googling to see what big backstory the EU had given him to explain why he was a rebel who decided to dress like a Storm Trooper during the battle of Endor.

But the EU has done nothing with him (it took me forever to even find any information on him) aside from a single action figure and having his picture included on a few generic trading cards.

Nik Sant totally got snubbed by the EU. Especially when you look at the article for some like Ephant Mon.

What are you talking about? He's got a great, and incredibly detailed, backstory. Not only is he old, but the other rebels called him "Gramps"! What more do you need to know?

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    It's not a backstory unless he was related to a Jedi.

Everyone is related to a Jedi. Everyone who ever did anything worthwhile anyway.

See also: my previous comment about the banjo.

• Options
    I think it's the fact that unlike every other character in the EU, he doesn't have a whole chapter in a book somewhere written entirely about him.

(also I hear he gave out presents on Life Day)

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I think it's the fact that unlike every other character in the EU, he doesn't have a whole chapter in a book somewhere written entirely about him.

Yeah, basically. Pretty much every character that appeared in the OT got some huge role in the EU. I mean, look at the page for the guy who said "Look, sir, droids!" or the guy who was running around Cloud City with what appears to be an ice cream maker. Heck the droid that Luke almost buys in Episode IV instead of R2-D2 has two different pages (one non-canon that establishes him as a force-user) and 5 different action figures.

Then we have a very old rebel who decides to disguise himself as the team that's getting their ass kicked by teddy bears during the most climatic battle in the series and nothing was ever done with him. It just seems odd considering the amount of ridiculous backstory provided for most other extras, but Nik Sant's probably got the shortest page of any character that appeared in the OT that I have seen. I expected to find a wiki page detailing how he was the best master of disguise in the galaxy (despite the fact that he is immediately captured in the movie, that kind of thing didn't stop anyone else from the movies being made into the best in their field for the EU). Perhaps after the Battle of Endor, the family of the Storm Trooper that he stripped goes after him for revenge or puts a massive bounty on his head.

Though really, we don't even know if disguise and infiltration was his goal (especially since no other rebel bothers to do it so he was apparently acting alone in that plan). For all we know he could have thought the rebels were going to lose and wanted to hide as a faceless Storm Trooper so the Empire wouldn't execute him, only to get captured with the other rebels anyways due to incompetence or something.

• Options
    My parents got me an R5 toy when I was a kid because they didn't understand the difference between it and R2D2 and the R5 was cheaper.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    He got a cover of a Super Nintendo game
    1130126-snesphalanx01_super.jpg

I couldn't believe this wasn't photoshopped.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The only Star Wars toy my parents bought me was Emperor Palpatine.

Yeah, great present there, mom. A wrinkly old guy in a bath robe. Every little boy's favourite toy.

• Options
    Or Nik Sant (Saint Nick! geddit!) is just some old guy without any real personality other than being old. People like Jolee Bindo because he had a whole personality. This is just a dude with a beard.

It would be easier to care if he said anything.