As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Installing SQL server for Dummies

WormeyWormey Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to learn SQL code for my job so I can help spot basic errors and so forth, I've already gone through the w3 schools free course, but would rather be in a position where I can have a play with some of my own practice databases at home. So, installing SQL... easy right?

Apparently not, i'm going to the incredibly helpful Microsoft site and downloaded various sorts of SQL (2008 would be ideal, but at this stage anything that works) and attempted to utilise, but SQL server management studio doesn't complete the install (i get to an area where i need to select features and no options show up) so i'm assuming i need to download some other things too.

Its a Vista PC if it makes any difference. Assuming I have nothing downloaded already (which is the part where a quick google fails, as guides already assume i'm a couple of steps ahead of where i need to be.) what are the prerequisites for installing SQL server to on my PC to the extent that I can create my own databases (or download examples) and use both DML and DDL to search and alter the data? What do I need to install and in what order?

Kind Regards,
Wormey

Wormey on

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    WAMP or XAMPP if you want to use mySQL...

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    What version of SQL Server are you try to install? I recommend 2008 Express, as it's free and basically allows you to do anything a person learning SQL needs to do.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/editions/express.aspx

• Options
    BigBadWolfBigBadWolf Grandma's HouseRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If you want to go the Microsoft route it sounds like SQL Server Express is what you need.

The only prerequisites I'm aware of it needing is the .net framework - although I'm pretty sure it will install it for you if needed.

BigBadWolf on
  • Options
    So far so good on the link Ruckus sent. It has installed... do I click something to actually open it?
    What should the icon look like?

In the new programs bit of my start menu the only available option is import and export data (64 bit) - is that right?

Is there no other 'launch' icon that I should be able to find?

• Options
    Do I need to install SQl server management studio separately? Or should that have installed as part of the link provided?

• Options
    BigBadWolfBigBadWolf Grandma's HouseRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hmm... its obviously been a while since I've installed it. It looks like there are 3 versions of SQL server express:

SQL Server 2008 Express
    SQL Server 2008 Express With Tools
    SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services

From this blog, it looks like you need to download the 'With Tools' (or advances services) edition to get management studio.

It looks like the big difference between the 2 is that advanced services has full-text search and reporting services, which you may not need yet.

BigBadWolf on
  • Options
    Thank you kindly all - i've got some version of SQL up and running now, which I think is 2008 as I followed the steps provided here. One of my friends was looking into doing a SQL Server course and was advised to try installing it first and then come back if he was still interested. I can see why now, this process was slightly painful considering that, as you say BigBadWolf, there are a lot of features I probably won't even be interested in for some time now :)

Thank you for all your help Penny Arcadians