As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New PC, but now missing sound in all my videos?

sushijerksushijerk Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm using VLC player on winXP, and the video shows up fine but none of the movies have any sound? I don't think it is a sound card issue since my mp3s and games have completely normal sound. Is there some kind of common codec issue here since all these videos had sound on my older PC?

I downloaded a codecpack with the usual stuff like divx, vobsub, ac3, ogg vorbis but it didn't help.

Edit: Whoa...ok just tried some games and all of a sudden they do not have sound either. F.E.A.R said could not it could not execute snddrv.dll on start up. How can I fix this?

sushijerk on

• 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Check device manager first, make sure the drivers for your card are installed and working properly. If so, check to see if there are any updates for the card.

If this doesn't work, uninstall the codec pack and only install AC3 Filter, DivX, Koepi's XviD, and Quicktime Alternative (if you want). Those will decode MOST of the video you'll come across.

1ddqd on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It sounds like either your sound driver got deleted or DirectX is broken. Reinstall the sound tdriver, then run dxdiag and make sure that your DirectX install isn't hosed. If it is, reinstall DirectX, too.

And make sure that Windows isn't downloading and installing updates as you're going. If the OEM hasn't added anything beyond SP2, it might be downloading chunks of updates here and there and breaking stuff as you go.

supabeast on