Options

Display driver igfx stopped responding and has recovered

deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a 2008 toshiba satellite laptop with an intel celeron processor and vista.

I have gotten this error twice relatively close together.

I have all updates installed.

It occured both times when browsing the web, even doing fewer processes than normal.

How do I fix this?

deathnote666 on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I have a 2008 toshiba satellite laptop with an intel celeron processor and vista.

It occured both times when browsing the web, even doing fewer processes than normal.

How do I fix this?

Upgrade from Vista.

• Options
    Esh wrote:

How do I fix this?

Upgrade from Vista.

Har har.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Not kidding.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    You said you were just surfing the web... Did you have a Youtube window open anywhere, by any chance? Like, at all, during the session? Usually the whole "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" issue shows up in things that use the graphics card a lot more, like games. Flash actually added hardware acceleration not that long ago (which can be disabled), so I presume it now tries a little harder to tax your card, and maybe that could set it off. Flash has been awfully touchy since Flash 11 came out; my fiance's been having a repeated temporary freeze issue most times he opens a video from Youtube in Firefox since it came out, so it's been on my mind lately. Not sure if that's related to your problem.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure. This is something that occurs on any type of video card, not just Intel cards, though.

• Options
    No youtube. I wasn't running anything with flash outside of ads.

Been over a week since there were new windows updates.

It hasn't happened again since my OP...?

• Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    Been there, still there. Win 7 box.

Happens in spurts, like a couple of times over the space of a week then nothing for a month. I noticed it happening just after I upgraded my graphics drivers for BF3 - oddly I never get it happening in a game (that flogs the video card, like BF3, Saints 3 etc) but rather when I'm doing something on the desktop.

Can't help much other than suggest the standard "clean out video drivers and either roll back or reinstall". From the little bit I read last time is that there's (at the moment) a wide range of system specs affected. Nvidia said that it's not their fault because it's the Windows engine crashing the driver and therefore MS's problem, yet MS says that it's not their driver, Windows is just reporting and it's NVidia's problem.

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    It's usually out of date Video drivers, though some changes in recent ones have triggered issues as well. You can try disabling Flash Hardware acceleration (right click on a flash applet, choose settings, and uncheck the box that says "Enable hardware acceleration".

Other than that, try to finder either newer or older video drivers that work.