As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlefield: Bad Company Teaser

Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Apparently all in-engine.
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=4456
http://xboxyde.com/news_4049_en.html

1132_0005.jpg
1132_0002.jpg
1132_0003.jpg

Three things strike me in particular:

1) Anyone who said that Killzone2 graphics were not possible this gen can fuck off.On the other hand however, the argument that that level of immersion is impossible, however, is totally still valid, so anyone expressly implying that this pretty much equates the kz2 trailer can ALSO fuck off.

2) Is it me, or has EA and its satellite studios definitely developed some kind of bizarre fetish with [url="http://www.ea.com/armyoftwo/]games involving a wise-cracking duo that thinks with their gun muzzle first, and love informalities while nearly getting killed, laughing in the face of danger, etc.[/url]?

3) If they can really pull off that level of destructibility, I will LOVE THEM FOREVER.

Recoil42 on

• Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The first image is fucking funny.

Duki on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Duki wrote: »
    The first image is fucking funny.

He's actually kinda making a joke in that frame, so the facial expression is quite appropriate. Watch the trailer, you'll see how it fits well.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    the graphics don't seem that great to me

i can't really put my finger on it

the trailer was radawesome, though

bongi on
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "Do we look like brothers to you?!"

Haha. Oh. And.

"So wait wait wait. I can blow up annnythiiing?"

If the writing and dialogue between those two guys is that good in the game, I might just buy it for that.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't understand what kind of game this is.

Is it primarily singleplayer? I was under the impression that this was just another battlefield game, but this one has a plot and shit?

Are there going to be 64 player games with planes, boats, and vehicles?

Xeno on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    why even bother bringing up killzone 2 vid? that was old news and this game doesn't even come close to approaching what that fake ass video showed as real-time graphics.

I'm with xeno.. need more hinkfo.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xeno wrote: »

Is it primarily singleplayer? I was under the impression that this was just another battlefield game, but this one has a plot and shit?

There's been a ton of information about the game already. It is a single player game. You play as a mercenary and they're trying to focus on the characters, your squad, for this game. The levels are huge and open, of course, with you able to take command of almost anything. The thing about Bad Company is that, like the trailer said and showed, you can blow up anything. And it looks really cool, too, not fake like Soldner or other games.

It does have your traditional Battlefield multiplayer with the full environment destruction. Because it's a console game, however, it won't have 64 player games. I think it's 32 players.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    Xeno wrote: »

There's been a ton of information about the game already. It is a single player game. You play as a mercenary and they're trying to focus on the characters, your squad, for this game. The levels are huge and open, of course, with you able to take command of almost anything. The thing about Bad Company is that, like the trailer said and showed, you can blow up anything. And it looks really cool, too, not fake like Soldner or other games.

It does have your traditional Battlefield multiplayer with the full environment destruction. Because it's a console game, however, it won't have 64 player games. I think it's 32 players.

with full destruction, I'd pee my pants if they could pull off 32 player. oh man it would be sweet!

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i agree with bongi. the graphics seem.....meh. Too grainy.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    my god that was funny. If they can keep that up all game, I will be playing this happily.

Veevee on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Destructible environments, you say? It's about damn time.

Why do I have the feeling that they'll screw it up somehow?

bombardier on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Haha, that was awesome. I hope the destructible environments live up to their potential, too.

Blakout on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "I thought he was... you know... embedded..."

I lol'd.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I watched the teaser and was amazed. The visuals look sharp, but I was really impressed by the dialouge and chemistry of the characters. I'd like to know more of the game.

Sanius on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Red Faction did it, years ago. Nothing new here. But it's about time somebody else did it too.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Red Faction did it, years ago. Nothing new here. But it's about time somebody else did it too.
    Red faction did it and it fucking sucks for a majority of gameplay situations and it's shallow as hell when it comes to affecting the overall game. 99% of red faction was also inside facility's and underground caves, this game will be outside, with lots of buildings and tanks and planes to send crashing into other tanks and buildings, and hopefully have an effect that goes beyond a pre-made damage model.

Sanius on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    for the record.

in-engine =/= in game.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sanius wrote: »
    Red faction did it and it fucking sucks for a majority of gameplay situations and it's shallow as hell when it comes to affecting the overall game. 99% of red faction was also inside facility's and underground caves, this game will be outside, with lots of buildings and tanks and planes to send crashing into other tanks and buildings, and hopefully have an effect that goes beyond a pre-made damage model.

Somehow I doubt there will be stuff like gunning down a chopper and have it crash into a building, making the building collapse. I don't think the 360 could handle that much physics. You're gonna shoot a rocket into a building, and part of the wall will be destroyed.

Of course I'm not claiming that this is how it's gonna be, but I'll remain skeptical until I actually see that stuff happening in game.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LOL this looks awesome. Will the final game have the same humor or was this just for the teaser? When are we gonna see some gameplay vids? Release time frame?

I likey. :D

edit: Err wha? Gamestop says it releases today?

powersurge on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I doubt it will have any effect on the massive billboards they put up telling you to obey your thirst.

Meiz on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If EA fucks up my Battlefield anymore than they already have, I will personally drive up there and destroy their souls. They'll be all like, "Where's my soul?" and I'll be all like, "YOU DON'T GET TO TOUCH MY SHIT ANYMORE, EAT JELLYFISH!"

And then I would probably cram a jellyfish down their throats. All pretty straightforward, I guess.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Somehow I doubt there will be stuff like gunning down a chopper and have it crash into a building, making the building collapse. I don't think the 360 could handle that much physics. You're gonna shoot a rocket into a building, and part of the wall will be destroyed.

Of course I'm not claiming that this is how it's gonna be, but I'll remain skeptical until I actually see that stuff happening in game.

wasn't red faction mostly just corridors?

I'm curious about how destructive enviornments would play into the game. I loved destroying vehicles that enemies were using as cover in Full spectrum warrior. it would be great if I can do the same for everything in the game.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can I play with the shakey cam on the entire game?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    imbalanced wrote: »
    If EA fucks up my Battlefield anymore than they already have, I will personally drive up there and destroy their souls. They'll be all like, "Where's my soul?" and I'll be all like, "YOU DON'T GET TO TOUCH MY SHIT ANYMORE, EAT JELLYFISH!"

And then I would probably cram a jellyfish down their throats. All pretty straightforward, I guess.
    Your're forgetting one important thing.

EA has no soul. No one who works there has one.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    Your're forgetting one important thing.

EA has no soul. No one who works there has one.

Fact: EA hired a shaman priest named Fulatu-umbatu to fill a bunch of old husks of hay with souls of the damned.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    scootch wrote: »

wasn't red faction mostly just corridors?

I'm curious about how destructive enviornments would play into the game. I loved destroying vehicles that enemies were using as cover in Full spectrum warrior. it would be great if I can do the same for everything in the game.

It's not too hard to imagine. Everything is fully destructable. If there's a sniper hiding in that tower, blow the tower up. You can create roadblocks, too, by blowing up some charges near some trees on a road. Here's a magazine scan picture showing it off, with some text on the side.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/megascore/8ccac813342baa71d283d50dbb256307.jpg

Dashui on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Are they putting direct X 10 on 360s now?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

What the heck are you talking about? If you're making a reference to Crysis with it's destructibility, you do realize Crysis runs in DX9 and doesn't lose any of that feature at all. DX10 just adds in some extra graphical purdy.

Dashui on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    red faction

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

What the heck are you talking about? If you're making a reference to Crysis with it's destructibility, you do realize Crysis runs in DX9 and doesn't lose any of that feature at all. DX10 just adds in some extra graphical purdy.

Actually, DX10, in conjunction with compatible hardware, adds an entirely new step to the graphics pipeline which is meant to optimize this kind of thing.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    red faction
    If you would have read the thread, that point has already been gone over.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Mr. White XDMr. White XD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Red Faction 2 was SOOOO much better than the first one

I just hope they add jets for bad company, the slow ass chugging helicopters in modern combat don't cut it.

Mr. White XD on
    Mr+white+Xd.gif
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

In one of Red Faction's multiplayer cave maps you could use explosives to tunnel through the walls and the floor, and create new passages to anywhere you wanted. It was AWESOME.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I just hope they add jets for bad company, the slow ass chugging helicopters in modern combat don't cut it.

I wanted to try that out, but I only got to play a bit of the first level then the display wonked out. Is it NOT 99% boring underground passages like the first one (though I did love the office/underwater bits)?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ITT: EA runs headlong into the Uncanny Valley.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    Mr. White XDMr. White XD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wren wrote: »

I wanted to try that out, but I only got to play a bit of the first level then the display wonked out. Is it NOT 99% boring underground passages like the first one (though I did love the office/underwater bits)?

The last time I played it was in like 04, but from what I remember it was in industrial complexes and cities. The guns were really fun, from what I remember.

Edit: Multiplayer was awesome too, even with the bots.

Mr. White XD on
    Mr+white+Xd.gif
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    anyone else notice the "near future" weapons.

i dont think that helicopter was any currently operational model....

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    vicious you totally nabbed my old sig >:(

bongi on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    The helicopter looked like an old-model sikorsky to me.

Also, the guns looked like your bog standard XM8 weapons system to me (would have made more sense to have the SCAR series)

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg