As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cleaning DVD discs

Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Are there any home methods that work best? I once got this suggestion to use a banana peel, but that just sounds crazy to me.

Shady3011 on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Do you mean for cleaning or for repairing scratches? Big difference.

• Options
    Let's assume both for the sake of this thread.

• Options
    defreakdefreak Registered User regular
    I have heard Brasso Metal Polish works on scratched discs, but I have never tried it myself because I never had any DVDs damaged to the point where a normal wipe with a microfiber cloth didn't fix it.

Whatever you use to wipe the disc, just remember to wipe from the center outwards, instead of in circles.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Most discs just need to be wiped off. Never use a paper towel/tissue/toilet paper/etc. for this, you'll just scratch the disc worse. When I used to work at a video rental place, we used to use cotton t-shirts to clean off dirty discs. The worst scratches are the ones that form concentric rings from the center of the disc, or anything that's deep enough to touch the aluminum. Most players/game systems will be able to muscle through other kinds of scratches. If the scratch is bad enough, you can try buff it out like you would buff out a scratch on a car; but, to be honest, it's usually not worth the effort.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    What works best for wiping off smudges? I've usually used warm running water and a clean cotton shirt. Is there shirt material I should avoid using?

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Shady3011 wrote:
    What works best for wiping off smudges? I've usually used warm running water and a clean cotton shirt. Is there shirt material I should avoid using?

Why would you use water? Just use a clean, soft cotton shirt.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:

Depends on what they got on the disc, sometimes water just makes things go faster. Typically, just the shirt will be enough though. I don't know that other shirt materials are necessarily bad, its just that cotton is plentiful and I've never seen it scratch a disc.

• Options
    Esh wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:

Depends on what they got on the disc, sometimes water just makes things go faster. Typically, just the shirt will be enough though. I don't know that other shirt materials are necessarily bad, its just that cotton is plentiful and I've never seen it scratch a disc.

He said smudge, not nacho cheese. ; )

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Toothpaste.

Seriously. Its a slight abrasive so it will remove a small (very, very, very small!) layer of the cd's coating that gets scratched. Which will even it out with any minor scratches. I have used this multiple times on many discs with great effect. Google it!