As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OLD [STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I forgot about that one! 140 is fantastic. One of the first ones I ever read.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    The SCP stuff is interesting but none of it is horrifying or even the tiniest bit scary.

JtgVX0H.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So anyway, Steam, serving the Newell, dapper crabs and so on.

Did anyone fall for the Juarez deal or has Extra Credits prevented catastrophe?

• StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    hey does anyone have a sega or total war coupon?

camo_sig.png
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    mts wrote:
    hey does anyone have a sega or total war coupon?

Check the spreadsheet. There's a couple of gents there with coupons that might be of interest to you.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Darmak wrote:
    The SCP stuff is interesting but none of it is horrifying or even the tiniest bit scary.

This has been my reaction too.

I read the one with Procedure 110-Montauk thinking maybe this one will do it. Everyone seems to freak on this one. My reaction was, "That was kinda awesome."

I think I've read too much Clive Barker and whatever and watched too much old Cronenberg stuff to get freaked out by this sort of thing. It's fun stuff though. I'm gonna keep reading it for sure.

Drake on
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    The SCP stuff is more awesome than scary, but that game was damn scary.

steam_sig.png
  • PluffPluff BrazilRegistered User regular
    signature.png

20h left. Good luck to you all (though it is impossible).

steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The SCP stuff is more awesome than scary, but that game was damn scary.

Mostly, yeah. A few things are definitely "horrifying," as in, "oh my god, that's a miserable way to live. I can't imagine ____." definitely some "tense" moments, in some of the ones with detailed field reports.

But yeah, that game got me the same way Amnesia did. When you suddenly get a weird shadow like something has been following you and momentarily got juuuust close enough behind you to cast a shadow...

Oh. Shit.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Darmak wrote:

I read the one with Procedure 110-Montauk thinking maybe this one will do it. Everyone seems to freak on this one. My reaction was, "That was kinda awesome."

"Awesome" is your reaction to implied sadomasochistic rape/torture? 'kay.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Darmak wrote:

Don't be a goose. It's fiction. Is disturbing fiction not to be enjoyed because of implications and events in the writing?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but what is the Procedure 110-Montauk thing?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Idx86 wrote:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-231

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote:

A specifically ambiguous procedure left open-ended enough that the reader is intended to imagine it is as horrible as they want, with several minor suggestions leading one to typically assume it has to do with sexual assault. The subject is made to forget the process after a short while to ensure that it remains shocking and awful. It is heavily suggested that failure to do whatever this awful act is will mark the end of the world.

Like most of the best SCPs, it relies on careful obfuscation of information to allow the reader to fill in the bigger picture and feel horror and dread as a result.

liEt3nH.png
    Idx86 wrote:

A specifically ambiguous procedure left open-ended enough that the reader is intended to imagine it is as horrible as they want, with several minor suggestions leading one to typically assume it has to do with sexual assault. The subject is made to forget the process after a short while to ensure that it remains shocking and awful. It is heavily suggested that failure to do whatever this awful act is will mark the end of the world.

Like most of the best SCPs, it relies on careful obfuscation of information to allow the reader to fill in the bigger picture and feel horror and dread as a result.

Even if it did explicitly say "rape" or "torture," the reaction to someone saying they enjoyed that SCP entry (which again, is 100% fictitious) should not be, "What? You like rape???"

• Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    I will just say that I lost an hour in the blink of an eye reading SCP.. It's (mostly) really awesome.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote:
    Idx86 wrote:

Even if it did explicitly say "rape" or "torture," the reaction to someone saying they enjoyed that SCP entry (which again, is 100% fictitious) should not be, "What? You like rape???"

It does not get a free pass simply because it's fictional. "Awesome" is not a good word to describe it, if you ask me.

JKKaAGp.png
    edited February 2012
    Figgy wrote:
    Idx86 wrote:

It does not get a free pass simply because it's fictional. "Awesome" is not a good word to describe it, if you ask me.

Give me a break.

Tell me how that's different than saying the entry was entertaining. Does that mean I find rape entertaining? Of course not, just like by he saying it was awesome he is not saying he finds rape awesome.

This is a stupid discussion.

Figgy on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    There must be something wrong with me, because my first thought is that it's terribly inconsistent. Like, why do they need to disorient people on the way there, when they have amnesiacs they can use? And the people driving the car/flying the plane or whatever, on the final leg, would know where they're going, how do they deal with those people knowing where they are? Why censor the newspaper's name, but leave the article name in?

To bring it back on topic: They should make a game based on that one. Oh wait, they have, it's called The Path.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    Idx86 wrote:

Give me a break.

Tell me how that's different than saying the entry was entertaining. Does that mean I find rape entertaining? Of course not, just like by he saying it was awesome he is not saying he finds rape awesome.

Agreed, it is a stupid discussion.

JKKaAGp.png
  • striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Figgy wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    Idx86 wrote:

Give me a break.

Agreed, but I also feel if your taking that tack then the recent backlash towards the daily is misplaced. Is it the developer or the player who is moronic enough to take a current events lesson from a video game to blame? I am quiet tipsy at the moment though, so probably shouldn't be posting;) but it does feel like a inconsistent stance.

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
    striderjg wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    Idx86 wrote:

Give me a break.

Agreed, but I also feel if your taking that tack then the recent backlash towards the daily is misplaced. Is it the developer or the player who is moronic enough to take a current events lesson from a video game to blame? I am quiet tipsy at the moment though, so probably shouldn't be posting;) but it does feel like a inconsistent stance.

What in the Jesus tap-dancing Christ are you talking about? I don't think you know what we're discussing.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    striderjg wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    Idx86 wrote:

Give me a break.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Man the more I look at Dustforce the more I want it.

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    This SCP shit is really ruining the thread.

Its not scary and its barely interesting. Go chat about fanfiction somewhere else! LET US ALL BUY GCI AND PLAY ON STEAM because that entire thread is all on XBL. More like Stupidboxlive.

camo_sig2.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Its not scary and its barely interesting. Go chat about fanfiction somewhere else! LET US ALL BUY GCI AND PLAY ON STEAM because that entire thread is all on XBL. More like Stupidboxlive.
    To be fair, the Xbox version probably runs better.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What's GCI?

edit: Figured it out but now I won't tell anyone nyah nyah nyah.

TychoCelchuuu on
    What's GCI?

Gotham City Imposters.

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:
    LET US ALL BUY GCI AND PLAY ON STEAM because that entire thread is all on XBL. More like Stupidboxlive.
    To be fair, the Xbox version probably runs better.

Its not about running well. Its about serving the Newell. Also I think I solved my framerate problems: Run the game from the folder (not steam launcher) and use taskmanager to set Engine.exe priority to "High"

camo_sig2.png
  • HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    Less SCP talk, more buying games (and how awesome The Witcher 2 is). Still shittin' kittens over here!

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Its not about running well. Its about serving the Newell. Also I think I solved my framerate problems: Run the game from the folder (not steam launcher) and use taskmanager to set Engine.exe priority to "High"
    I am quite curious as to how it would run on my PC. But any money I get is probably going to one of the DLC packs thats supposed to be coming out for SR3 soon, since it's the pack I've been waiting for since the game LAUNCHED.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular

Agreed. Can this get moved out of the Steam thread since it has nothing to do with Steam and is off-topic and will most likely get the thread locked?

Anyway, I started playing Torchlight yesterday after owning it for about 2 years but not putting more than 1.5 hours into it and I'm really enjoying it so far. Has anyone used the multiplayer mod before? Is it mostly stable? And how does quest progress work? Does it follow the host's progress?

steam_sig.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    things i learned today:

1. Steam overlay works in non-steam games
    2. F12 will screen shot non-steam games (which is fun when the game uses F12 for quick save)
    3. I don't remember much of the beginning of JO

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    2. F12 will screen shot non-steam games (which is fun when the game uses F12 for quick save)

Did not know that! Does it also let you upload the screenshot online to your profile?

camo_sig2.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Darmak wrote:

Yeah, "awesome" was my reaction to the story. Since you post here in G&T I'd say it's probably a safe bet that you've committed "murder" thousands and thousands of times in many different games, and you thought it was awesome. See how silly this line of reasoning is?

How's the air up there on your moral high horse?

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote:

Did not know that! Does it also let you upload the screenshot online to your profile?
    Yeah, and it will use your screenshots instead of the normal blank background for the shortcut too

steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote:

Yes. It'll even show the title of non-Steam games.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Drake wrote:
    Drake wrote:
    Darmak wrote:

Yeah, "awesome" was my reaction to the story. Since you post here in G&T I'd say it's probably a safe bet that you've committed "murder" thousands and thousands of times in many different games, and you thought it was awesome. See how silly this line of reasoning is?

How's the air up there on your moral high horse?

Jesus Christ, will you people just drop it?

Gaslight on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    So it appears I suffer from that Payday bug where you put the text chat button and your character still responds to your keystrokes. Very tiresome to drop a health bag in the middle of the roof of the Garnet Building.

This discussion has been closed.