Options

Tell Obsidian what RPG to kickstart

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Chris Avellone only ever wishes he was me

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Monger wrote:
    Chris Avellone might be reading my posts!

I feel like I should be more presentable than I am.

Which is to say, some amount of presentable.
    Now I'm feeling unhappy about all those posts I made saying that Chris Avellone has dreamy eyes/I wish Chris Avellone would marry me/has anyone ever seen Chris Avellone and Chris Cornell in the same room, nope, they're the same person. I'm unhappy about the first two categories of posts because if Avellone reads PA then he's probably creeped out, and I'm unhappy about the last category of posts because now that he knows that I know, he's going to have to kill me.

They're definitely the same person though.

chris-cornell-profile.jpg

avellone.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Knowing he reads the PA forums religiously (I've decided to interpret what he wrote that way) is a relief for me. When I posted my suggestion on the blog, I accidentally used "it's" when I should have used "its," and there's no edit function on those comments that I could find.

Now, since I know he'll read this, I can make the correction now. I assume he remembers which suggestion was mine.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Knowing he reads the PA forums religiously (I've decided to interpret what he wrote that way) is a relief for me. When I posted my suggestion on the blog, I accidentally used "it's" when I should have used "its," and there's no edit function on those comments that I could find.

Now, since I know he'll read this, I can make the correction now. I assume he remembers which suggestion was mine.
    Yeah, it's the one he stopped reading and immediately deleted when he say you used "it's" wrong.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    After seeing that Skyrim Game Jam vid, maybe game companies should do Kickstarters to do add in content that was cut or did not make release. Like for Fallout: NV or Alpha Protocol.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Kinda weirded out by your Chris Cornell/Chris Avellone personal epiphany thing, there. But live the dream, man. Don't let anybody tell you different.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The real reason Alpha Protocol's development was so problemed: post-Audioslave frustrations.

But now Soundgarden's back together and it's all gravy.

Monger on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, are there any games as competently-written and conversation driven as Planescape? I could do with playing something comparable.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, are there any games as competently-written and conversation driven as Planescape? I could do with playing something comparable.

I'd also appreciate this, since I haven't found quite anything comparable since.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Vampire: Bloodlines,
    Mask of the Betrayer (NWN2 Add-On),
    KOTOR2 (though I'd wait at least till modders are done with some of their projects, specifically TSLRCM 1.8 (as there are TONS of bug fixes in the new version). M478EP and Malachor VI: An ending mod I also suggest waiting for if you only plan to play it one time.)

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm having a hard time agreeing that Mask of the Betrayer and KOTOR 2 are as conversation-driven as Planescape, simply because Planescape is almost entirely focused on this aspect. I do agree both are extremely well-written though. I view Mask of the Betrayer as the only well-written RPG released in recent years.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    alpha protocol is extremely well written and flexible

in the sense that it is clearly well crafted

if one thinks a story that includes evil pmcs can be well written that is

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    No game is as conversation-driven as Planescape. Nobody else has that amount of text.

Still, V:tM - Bloodlines and KOTOR 2 are two of my favorite games, and I'd suggest anyone and everyone play them. I can't vouch for Mask of the Betrayer, since I've played maybe an hour total of NWN2.

The Witcher 2 is the best written game I've played in a while, though. The first game as well, occasionally wonky translation notwithstanding. But man. The Witcher 2 is pretty good.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Man, I totally blanked out there. Alpha Protocol and The Witcher 2 are pretty damn good as well, though I am going on hearsay on the former as I have never played it.

@Monger: The difference between the main NWN campaign and Mask of the Betrayer is like night and day.

Come to think of it, Deus Ex : Human Revolution deserves a mention too.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    you should if you enjoyed planescape

the whole structure of AP twists and contorts around your choices in quite an ingenious way

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Monger wrote:
    No game is as conversation-driven as Planescape. Nobody else has that amount of text.

Still, V:tM - Bloodlines and KOTOR 2 are two of my favorite games, and I'd suggest anyone and everyone play them. I can't vouch for Mask of the Betrayer, since I've played maybe an hour total of NWN2.

The Witcher 2 is the best written game I've played in a while, though. The first game as well, occasionally wonky translation notwithstanding. But man. The Witcher 2 is pretty good.

I actually liked the translation errors. The occasional grammatical error and broken English added a ton of character. Like, it really sold the idea that it wasn't just a quasi-medieval England analog, but another world. Like another country.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    @Grey Paladin: Agreed with Surreality Check. If you like Planescape for the story and conversations, you owe it to yourself to give AP a try next time it comes up on sale.

• Options
    The part where Alpha Protocol's story quietly, but radically, shapes itself to the experience you want to have is pretty incredible, and unlike anything else out there. The rest of it isn't quite as incredible. Granted, I haven't played it since release, when it was busted as fuck. I hear that there were patches.
    @Monger: The difference between the main NWN campaign and Mask of the Betrayer is like night and day.
    I should probably just suck it up and accept the fact that I'm not going to play the main quest so I can see why everyone makes such a big deal out of the expansions. Past that, it's just... I mean... that interface. In the year two-thousand-and-eleven, that was a cold bucket of water in the face. Mostly because I didn't think "Oh right, this is built off of a D&D game primarily built for multiplayer" before booting it up. Foolish, I know.
    Come to think of it, Deus Ex : Human Revolution deserves a mention too.
    The writing in Human Revolution was hit and miss in places. On the good end, you had Ghost in the Shell, basically, and the majority of the game fell into this. On the good bad end, you had a whole lot more French-Canadians than one would probably expect to find in Detroit. Plus almost everything about the random citizenry of Hengsha. On the bad bad end, you had ending buttons and Trash Lady.

Oh lord, did you have Trash Lady.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Monger wrote:
    Chris Avellone might be reading my posts!

I feel like I should be more presentable than I am.

Which is to say, some amount of presentable.
    Now I'm feeling unhappy about all those posts I made saying that Chris Avellone has dreamy eyes/I wish Chris Avellone would marry me/has anyone ever seen Chris Avellone and Chris Cornell in the same room, nope, they're the same person. I'm unhappy about the first two categories of posts because if Avellone reads PA then he's probably creeped out, and I'm unhappy about the last category of posts because now that he knows that I know, he's going to have to kill me.

They're definitely the same person though.

chris-cornell-profile.jpg

avellone.jpg

They're not similar at all
    aside from the eyes

and general "caucasian male with short-ish hair" sense.

They're both awesome though, and I'd love to be friends with any of them

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

DX: Human Revolution is not a conversation driven game, but Adam has a few conversations where he can go detective and get the information he needs. This is experience changes a little if you get the CASIE augmentation which can make things easy for you.

Also, the game is awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3wOT9cSg4

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:
    I actually liked the translation errors. The occasional grammatical error and broken English added a ton of character. Like, it really sold the idea that it wasn't just a quasi-medieval England analog, but another world. Like another country.

Polan.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    That is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Al Qadim - The Genies Curse 2!

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    DX: Human Revolution is not a conversation driven game, but Adam has a few conversations where he can go detective and get the information he needs.

Alpha Protocol actually ruined the conversations in DXHR for me. Or, rather, reloading a save and finding out that picking the exact same options suddenly got me a completely different reaction ruined it for me after playing AP and the awesome conversation system there.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Monger wrote:
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to this potentially being a thing. With the kind of budget they'd be looking at, they wouldn't be able to feasibly have voice acting, so they will be able to go crazy with the amount of text they cram in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

I just realized he stopped in the office area to drink a bottle of whiskey.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I can honestly say I'm not that impressed by sheer volume, always been a less-is-more kind of person myself. I loved Planescape, but it's easy to go overboard and forget how this stuff sounds aloud. It's one of the reasons I was lukewarm towards Ulysses from New Vegas: he felt like a well written, well thought out character that was just not supported by the world he was dropped into.

Do note I'm not saying verbosity is an inherent negative, simply that it's not always a plus. It would really depend on what Obsidian has in mind.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Come to think of Obsidian's older games....

If Obsidian starts a kickstarter and they make more than they actually need (like Doublefine)....

Would it be possible that they invest it into providing "unoffical" patches and other stuff for their older games on their own? (At least for the PC versions)

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

This was amazing

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    That would be an interesting idea to add to the tiered financing system.

"If you give $30, we'll give you a copy the game when we're done with it (expected retail price: $45). If you give us $45 now, you get a copy of the game when we're done with it; additionally, we'll give you a copy of Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords now. No, not that version. The version Chris Avellone plays at home."

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    The problem with that is that for a project of the scope we want they could always use more money. I don't think we will ever here them say we gave too much and they just don't know what to do with all the cash.

• Options
    C2B wrote:

If Obsidian starts a kickstarter and they make more than they actually need (like Doublefine)....

Would it be possible that they invest it into providing "unoffical" patches and other stuff for their older games on their own? (At least for the PC versions)

I think they would prefer to spend their efforts in new games.

We could pitch something like Google's Summer of Code in PAX. Fans get a few $Ks to pay a few devs, let's say from Obsidian, to go and make some patches while receiving feedback from people there.

Crodwsourcing patches and mods.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    OffTopic but is an IP I'd love to see Chris make a game for.
    dwcaxpw.jpg

• Options
    C2B wrote:

I think they would prefer to spend their efforts in new games.

We could pitch something like Google's Summer of Code in PAX. Fans get a few $Ks to pay a few devs, let's say from Obsidian, to go and make some patches while receiving feedback from people there.

Crodwsourcing patches and mods.
    I'm pretty sure any kind of "unofficial" product support would be legally questionable. Any and all assets created for the game would be property of the license holder, source code included, so it's not like there's a lot to work with in an unofficial capacity. Plus, most publishers seem to see extended support of a product as an admission that it was flawed in the first place, and want that fact to get as little exposure as possible. Which is dumb. Probably profitable, I guess. But unofficial support by Obsidian is, even if unsaid, a public statement that there is X problem with this game and Y publisher wouldn't address it, and that could compromise a lot of Obsidian's publisher relations and potential publisher relations.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Sup Chris. *waves*

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:

This was amazing
    It was! Was that a wild-west remix of the music from Blur I heard?

exmac.png
  • Options
    It's from the soundtrack of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly by Ennio Morricone. Seems to be an extended version.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Whatever they do will be worthy of playing, but if they choose to use voice acting I would like it if they kept at least one voice actor relegated to a single, and I mean single, character in the game.

I am talking, of course, about Liam O'Brien.

He's fantastic and one of my favourite voice actors. Please do not use him on every npc of a particular faction again. It was really distressing to start getting tired of him. Keep him for the good roles.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    See it's funny because Au is the chemical symbol for gold.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    It's from the soundtrack of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly by Ennio Morricone. Seems to be an extended version.
    I see - Blur remixed this rather than the other way round. Thanks for the info!

For the record, AP not only has the best conversation system of any game to date, it's also superbly written and acted. If you've not played it then you absolutely should. It'd be cheap at double the price it's available for on Steam.

exmac.png