As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Well you can get it from Amazon for only 40 bucks right now.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The price seems about right, 18 issues @4 each = 72, plus the 99 cent Infinites and you get those Jeph Loeb Point One pages for free!

I do think, that in this particular instance, with how Marvel keeps saying "no seriously guys, this time, this time, things will really change in the Marvel Universe" and it's supposed to be the start of a new direction for the next decade, they should think about lowering the price to make it entice new readers or previous readers. They're already making a lot of money with the initial investment in the single issues, in this case subsidize just a bit of the MSRP to see if it has any difference on sales. If not, fine, go back to the old way with the next stuff, but try something with you trade sales to make it stand out. You will still be plenty profitable if you try it on this collection.

• Options
    It's not like anyone in their right mind will pay the full 75 bucks for the hardcover. Seriously I don't know why bookstores like Barnes & Noble even carry Marvel and DC stuff with Amazon around.

• Options
    Full Marvel August Solicits

Looks like the Avengers get to feel like the mutants for a bit in AvX, and probably some out of nowhere demon possess Cyclops or something to make him evil. Or maybe....the Phoenix was after him all along, dun dun dunnnn?

The .1 stuff has really gotten away from it's original intent, now we have .1 and .2 issues of Spider-Man from long ago cancelled series.

Daredevil sees Foggy and Matt split up again.

It's a bit disingenuous to call Neal Adams an X-Men Legend when he only drew 4 or 5 issues years before they became popular, isn't it?

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Judging by the Uncanny solicit,
    Sinister
    is behind the badness. The question is: where is Cyclops?

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I really like the Deodato cover for Avengers #29.
    edit: Never mind, that's an ice slide - that's Bobby, not the Silver Surfer :D

AVN2010029_cov_col.jpg

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hensler wrote: »

AVN2010029_cov_col.jpg

That's Iceman.

Edit: You beat me to it.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    wirehead26 wrote: »

AVN2010029_cov_col.jpg

That's Iceman.

Yep. I just really WANTED it to be Silver Surfer I guess.

Hensler on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

AVN2010029_cov_col.jpg

That's Iceman.

Iceman is cooler, though.

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

AVN2010029_cov_col.jpg

That's Iceman.

Iceman is cooler, though.

That is not the truth.

• Options
    "cooler"

• Options
    Oh.

• Options
    he freezes things. his name was iceman. he is cooler than silver surfer.

that was a joke.

• Options
    Oh.

• Options
    puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuns

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I will never like Spider-Man as an avenger. A member of the FF, sure. But not an Avenger. It doesn't feel right to me.

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Those August solicits are a right on the money.

Pretty much every series arc is either coming to a close or in a holding pattern, with just a handful of high profile exceptions (Defenders, WatXM, and the new Ms. Marvel series)

I will kind of feel bad for Fraction and Gillen if their big runs on Iron Man and Uncanny both end suddenly, with no fan-fare, in October.

Plus they're doing that big Thor crossover that Gillen said was near the end of his roadmap for JitM.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    The Avengers should just start dropping Ben Grimm into every engagement right off the bat. That guy takes X-Men apart like no one's business.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Those August solicits are a right on the money.

Pretty much every series arc is either coming to a close or in a holding pattern, with just a handful of high profile exceptions (Defenders, WatXM, and the new Ms. Marvel series)

I will kind of feel bad for Fraction and Gillen if their big runs on Iron Man and Uncanny both end suddenly, with no fan-fare, in October.

Plus they're doing that big Thor crossover that Gillen said was near the end of his roadmap for JitM.
    Fraction's Iron Man is pretty much double shipping every month right now, which probably means that ya Fraction will be moving off it.
    Twice in August, July, June, May for iron man, and Uncacnny has been shipping twice a month pretty regularly to, so I think they'll finish what they planned to.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Avengers should just start dropping Ben Grimm into every engagement right off the bat. That guy takes X-Men apart like no one's business.

I was a massive x-men fanboy as a kid, and not much has changed, so AvX has been painful to behold so far.

Captain America just walking up to mutants who can level mountains or blow the shit out of anything they touch, and he just shield bashes them in the face? Soooo fucking lazy and stupid and, and, and...

UGH.

(Still a fun book overall ;) )

Caveman Paws on
  • Options

*grumble**grumble* Fight with Namor was rigged. Rigged I say! *grumble**grumble*

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

I can only hope that double shipping Captain Marvel #2 and 3 means that there is sufficient demand (the excuse Marvel's given for double shipping, arguably at the cost of quality) and not "We fucked up. Let's burn this off and pretend it never happened." I can genuinely see it go either way until I hear differently after Friday.

Speaking of which, I flipped through DD #13 and appreciate that Pham did an admirable but still insufficient job tacking to Samnee's style.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I like how one of the key points to the Gambit solicit is:
    •BONUS! Bella Donna is NOT in this issue!

• Options
    I liked her.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ronan and Crystal on the cover of FF #21 wooo

also Remender leaving Venom makes me sad, does anyone know anything about the guy replacing him?

Other than that, looks like a continuation of the cool stuff I like right now!

• Options
    It's Cullen Bunn, right? He writes The Sixth Gun, wrote The Deep FI tie-in, and is or will be writing a Wolverine and a Cap book. I love The Sixth Gun, but I'm going to be dropping everything for trades for a while come August.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Oh hey, The Deep Fear Itself tie-in was actually pretty cool

worth looking forward to Venom then!

• Options
    Avengers Academy #30 continues the reset button on Shaw, but it also goes too deep into some AA stuff that I really don't care for. Don't need to know about teenage drama of who should be with who from issues that have nothing to do with the event, just deal with Wiz Kid thinking Hazmat would care about this internment because she's Japanese (and the apprpriate WTF? response). It did try and do a fair rundown of the two sides opinions on the whole Phoenix thing, although it again ignores Rachel Summers, and it kind of continues this implication that Jean went crazy and stayed that way for years; she went crazy for a shorter time than Wanda did it seems, it was taken care of, and then for years Jean had the Phoenix reappear and no one said a thing (it started in Seagle's Uncanny run, basically)

Juston and Sentinel also show up, and it just makes everything turn to crap:
    Scott's Tots wanted to leave the compound to go get something to eat, the AA kids try to stop them, and then the Sentinel shows up to stop them from leaving. All the x-kids react appropriately (doesn't help the Sentinel kept saying destroy all mutants) and the Sentinel was supposed to be as far away from the compound as possible, but Juston didn't pay attention. So X-23 jumps on the Sentinel and makes him take the robot away before he screws up everything else.

• Options
    God damn it

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular

I was a massive x-men fanboy as a kid, and not much has changed, so AvX has been painful to behold so far.

Captain America just walking up to mutants who can level mountains or blow the shit out of anything they touch, and he just shield bashes them in the face? Soooo fucking lazy and stupid and, and, and...

UGH.

that's because the X-Men have no heart or grit.

They can't help it. Its genetics.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

UGH.

I don't recall anything like this.

Unless you mean Cyke.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

UGH.

I don't recall anything like this.

Unless you mean Cyke.

AND Gambit.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Don't forget Thor
    making the Phoenix force run away scared

I love it. Marvel is going to run the X-Men into the ground until Fox gives the movie license back.

Matrias on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    Don't forget Thor
    making the Phoenix force run away scared

I love it. Marvel is going to run the X-Men into the ground until Fox gives the movie license back.

Why would they want to do that? That's crazy person logic.

On another note, AvX is TERRIBLE. When I'm reading it I feel like I'm reading those old Hostess Cream Cakes comic ads that used to be in books. Everything is just so hackneyed. Don't get me wrong, from a purely visceral 80s action movie mentality there's something there but I don't feel like it should be an "event".

The plotting in the latest issue was just crazy. That whole exchange between Hope and Wolverine reminded me of the kind of "plot" you come up with when you and your 7 year old friends were playing GI Joe in the back yard.

• Options
    I'm teasing Caveman Paws, not actually subscribing to crazy person logic.

• Options
    Hey there all you funky comic fans out there in (internet) radio land. This one's going out to one cool cat, @The Lovely Bastard - don't let your relationship drama get you down, there's plenty of fish in the sea, young brother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NjCzbfz-Lw&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

UGH.

If it worked on Nazis, it works on mutants. Period.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I wonder if Marvel will start revealing / media hyping their post AvX plans next month already to combat DC's reveal of their Issue 0s/third wave/new creative teams, or just wait till Comic Con in July.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I wonder if Marvel will start revealing / media hyping their post AvX plans next month already to combat DC's reveal of their Issue 0s/third wave/new creative teams, or just wait till Comic Con in July.

A friendly rivalry is fine, but I don't really see the point of raining on their competitor's parade like that. It's hard enough to get people excited about comics without the Big Two undermining each other.

Conversely, when you get people excited enough to talk about a comic event, it's good for the industry as a whole.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2012

UGH.

If it worked on Nazis, it works on mutants. Period.

Only now the Avengers are the Nazis, attacking a whole species and all.

Crimsondude on
This discussion has been closed.