As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow tournament

duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
edited July 2004 in PAX Archive
I'm just wondering how exactly this tournament is going to work.

1) How is the networked Xbox positioning going to work? Will the spies and mercs machines be separated so the team can't see or hear each other?

2) Will the headset have to be used or will the team member's machines be close close for verbal communication?

3) How exactly will the winner be determined? I imagine each map will have to be played twice, once for each team (akin to baseball) so that the matches are fair. What happens in the event of a tie though?

4) According to the rules on the PAX website, it lists "7 minute games" as being the standard. Isn't this a tad short? I understand the need to cycle people through quickly, but 7 minutes just seems like it'd be far too brief, especially since the mercs and spies have the same amount of lives as in a standard length match.

5) What is "Revenge mode"?

Thanks!

duderdude2 on

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited July 2004
    1./2. Your teammate and their TV will be right next to you, so you can communicate freely with each other (and yes, it's possible to screen cheat with your teammate). Your opponents will be facing you but will not be able to see your screen. The room will be pretty loud so the opposing team hearing you won't be a problem.

3.Wins are determined first on time (who can neutralize all the points fastest), and then on how many ND133s (if team A is able to neutralize one ND133 and team B is able to do two, team B wins), then on kills. If a true stalemate takes place (e.g. both merc sides last the full 7 minutes with no points taken and equal kills had), then a coin will be flipped to determine what the sides will be for the tiebreaker match. We've playtested hundreds of games with this model, and only ONCE has the tiebreaker coinflip been necessary.

4. 7 minutes is necessary, as otherwise each round could last several hours. With over 100 teams participating, the early rounds need to be shortened. There is a possibility for the latter rounds to be extended.

5. Revenge mode is a setting in SCPT's multiplayer mode. It just automatically makes all players switch sides.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Thanks very much for the thorough response. I appreciate it.

duderdude2 on