Options

[StarCraft2] POST IN NEW THREAD!!

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Kambing wrote: »
    (And yea Fatal, I just like shitting on you ^_^.)

esports™ money opportunity right here

Biosys on
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Kambing wrote: »
    (And yea Fatal, I just like shitting on you ^_^.)

Still pissed of I was right about those roaches, eh? You really need to get over it.
    Hoz wrote: »
    I read that when the expansion comes out everyone below masters will go up at least one league because of the influx of scrubs that will be brought into the player pool.

Don't know about the higher leagues but ten bucks says this will happen in the lower leagues. I'm certain silver and bronze are much harder now then they were when the game first came out.

fatalspoons on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Without a doubt, people currently in Silver and Bronze, and probably Gold, will find themselves quickly outpacing the skill of the incoming players. Whether that knocks everyone up a league, who knows...but it probably will.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Ok. I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna play some SC tonight.

...what race do I play? Is there, like, an online compatibility quiz?

• Options
    Houn wrote: »

Play the one that interests you the most. You'll find you have more fun doing that, than trying to match some kind of crazy compatibility. Like the look of Protoss units? Play Protoss. Think Siege Tanks are really cool? Play Terran. Like the idea of a large hive mind swarm? Play Zerg.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Play the one that interests you the most. You'll find you have more fun doing that, than trying to match some kind of crazy compatibility. Like the look of Protoss units? Play Protoss. Think Siege Tanks are really cool? Play Terran. Like the idea of a large hive mind swarm? Play Zerg.

wrong. Just play zerg Houn. zerg rulezes.

• Options
    BW I always played Zerg. In SC2, they're different enough that it irritates me a bit, because I miss my lurkers and hydras. Obviously Terran bioballs are cool, but I've never been great with tank micro, and Protoss' got some great gateway units but the reliance on Sentry Micro is intimidating.

• Options
    BW I always played Zerg. In SC2, they're different enough that it irritates me a bit, because I miss my lurkers and hydras. Obviously Terran bioballs are cool, but I've never been great with tank micro, and Protoss' got some great gateway units but the reliance on Sentry Micro is intimidating.

Eh, I'm terrible, and I play P passably, even with shit sentry micro. It's definitely important, but I wouldn't let it stop you from playing the race if you like it...ignore the last page or so of people (read: me) griping about sentries.

• Options
    ImpyrockerImpyrocker Registered User regular
    I really think terran is the best race to start out with. Starting with a simple 3 rax stim push helps you learn to run a tight build and also gives you the opportunity to micro a little.

1345301-1.png
    Quasi ignis
    Flamma inferno
    Igne cutis
  • Options
    Kb9kahneKb9kahne Registered User regular

Look at toss this way, Protoss is all about sentry micro.

That being said, Play Zerg, the new units will grow on you

11917-1.png
  • Options
    I would say the Protoss 4-gate offers you the same thing. Chance to learn a very tight build order, and chance to micro units while keeping your macro up behind it.

• Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ho(s)tel rooms at iem:

(no showers or toilets in the rooms)

shwaip on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCfyW6EP9FQ&feature=g-vrec&context=G2ee35a6RVAAAAAAAAAQ
    His opening in the last game isn't even that good. Everybody knows e4 is OP

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    What's a good newbie zerg build to learn?

• Options
    I am objectively terrible. Terran had a full marine-tank army + siege before I got my first roach.

WTB a demotion to bronze so I can actually learn something.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

There isn't one.

And here we come to the real problem with learning zerg as your first race. There isn't that array of easy-to-learn one-base builds for zerg the way there is with terran and protoss.

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Okay, I take it back, putting marines and tanks on that little ledge on the side of the main on Shakuras still works and is still bullshit.

• Options
    Houn wrote:
    I am objectively terrible. Terran had a full marine-tank army + siege before I got my first roach.

WTB a demotion to bronze so I can actually learn something.

You are a beginner too? Man I don't hang out here enough. I started laddering again but got sucked into Borderlands.

I must say that Zerg taught me some damn good Macro. But yeah, Zerg is very reactionary and has no bronze win button like Terran's MMM. For example, if I'm facing Bronze Terran or even Bronze Protoss I like to risk a Hatchery First. If I see a Terran cranking out Marines I have to react and mass some Zerglings and forgo droning, and not be afraid to sacrifice an Overlord to get a view of what your opponent is trying to build.

* If I see a player going (rushing?) for air units (and Bronze Toss for some reason worship Void Ray Rush) I can plant a Hydralisk Den and go "SURPRISE, I CAN SHOOT UP" and they're all "LOL WUT ZERG CANT SHOOT UP" and they die.

* If a Terran player is seriously turtling with lots of Siege Tanks and bunkers I plant Overlords and Zerglings all over the map to be prepared to deny him more bases, and then out-economy him or her.

And so on. But I'm bronze so take that with a grain of salt. But to play Zerg, you need very strong and elegant macro skills to take full advantage of the fact that Hatcheries single handedly build all units in chunks. Control groups 1 and 2 need to be your Hatcheries and Queens, respectively.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You should always always always under any circumstances regardless of anything

Be going hatch first in zvt. Always. There is literally no game you should ever play against a terran where you do anything but 15hatch.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Be going hatch first in zvt. Always. There is literally no game you should ever play against a terran where you do anything but 15hatch.

Drone rush ftw

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular

Two ways to go about this. You can either go with a macro-oriented build and go through the painful learning period of defensive zerg play or go with an all-inish 1-base build. You'll have better short term success but you have to force yourself eventually learn what standard zerg play is like to succeed in the long term. But hopefully along the way, you'll pick up some fundamental mechanics and game sense.

For the first, start with a Speedling Expand. For the second, start with a 7RR.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

There isn't one.

And here we come to the real problem with learning zerg as your first race. There isn't that array of easy-to-learn one-base builds for zerg the way there is with terran and protoss.

7RR?
    It's a start.
    Z really is the hardest race to learn though.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote:

And then there's ZvZ, where the standard opening is to stick your palm in your face.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    7RR is a good one to learn when you're in bronze league but won't last you as long as the 3 rax or 4 gate builds. You probably won't get out of silver with it, but it can teach you some good mechanics.

edit: kambing and fading beat me

fatalspoons on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    OK so for that Master's Map thing

the worst enemy

are those two fucking buttons on the top right

keep getting in the way on my sick micro.....

fsdifjwerj9038uejsldkf

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular

6 pool...

FTW!!!!!

714353-1.png
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Ret just beat Gumiho in one of the craziest base-trade scenario on IPL Team League.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    TannerMS wrote: »
    were there even any excellent games at this thing

if so which ones

• Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular

I say 13-14 gas/14 pool is a good one usually in the lower leagues, and get speedling into whatever. It is not a cheese, it can defend against early aggression, etc Check out dapollo's videos on how to play Zerg from bronze upwards into the higher leagues. Zerg Tutorial

Also did you guys see the Ret vs Gumiho game on the IPL team thing ? That was one hell of a nail-biter of a long game.

960751-1.png
  • Options
    iowa wrote: »

if so which ones

80% or more of the games are recommended watching, in my opinion.

• Options
    @Cantido: Yeah, I'm a "newbie" - bought the game at release, but didn't really jump into it right away due to too many other games. Inexplicably, I somehow placed in Plat. I don't expect to be here long.

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    iowa wrote: »

if so which ones

Pasted from Reddit:
    Demuslim vs NesTea game Three (deserves its own spot)

Demuslim vs NesTea Series

Demuslim vs Oz Games 1 and 2

Ret vs Sase Game 1

Ganzi vs DRG game 2

ThorZain vs Leenock game 1

Ret vs MVP game 1

Naniwas run through the Lower Bracket (Sheth, NesTea, Leenock, DRG)

Grubby vs ThorZain

Demuslim vs Grubby

Edit: Sase vs San

• Options
    S it turns out that the mlg website has native ipad support. Sitting here at work watching the free winter arena vods over the free wifi. Got a quiet couple of days ahead so i should be able to et through a big chunk of the games!

• Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    Oh jesus fucking christ this was the funniest funday monday ever

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    Gonna disagree with 7RR not working once you're in silver. I toy with it every once in a while, when I am bored and it will kill platinum level protoss (though leenocks canceled hatch into 10RR is better) and even Gold Terran if they opened with anything except maruaders.

Go ahead and 7RR your heart out against protoss and terran. In bronze, they're not going to scout your lack of hatchery and go "oh god, aggression! Make units!" They'll probably be like, hmm... cut drones, no hatch, roach warren? Perfectly normal, perfectly healthy, then go doing whatever shitty build they're doing. If you're executing well, then the roaches should arrive at your opponent's ramp slightly before 6 minutes. Any later than that, and you're messing up.

(also, i think 5RR into speedling all in is a better build. It's stronger, and it's tougher on your mechanics to keep it up so you learn faster. Use the same one against terran)

Against zerg, go 14gas/14pool. Soon as gas pops, put three drones in it, then @100 gas, take ling speed. Next 50 gas, take a baneling nest. Queen and Ovie on 15 supply, then MAEK LING and rally to outside their base, out of vision of their overlords. Make overlords as needed and the moment your baneling nest pops, morph as many banelings as you can, then march into their base and explode all over their drones. At that point, you can either rally more lings and kill them or do whatever the fuck you want, because you'll be so far ahead. No way in hell will a bronze zerg know how to react to this.

Once you're fighting silver/gold opponent's, then you can do standard macro play or continue to be a cheesy sonuvabitch. By then your mechanics will be better so the WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER.
    Newres wrote: »

I say 13-14 gas/14 pool is a good one usually in the lower leagues, and get speedling into whatever. It is not a cheese, it can defend against early aggression, etc Check out dapollo's videos on how to play Zerg from bronze upwards into the higher leagues. Zerg Tutorial

This is another GREAT way to learn zerg, too. That tutorial is so good. Especially pay attention to WHEN he drones and expands and WHEN he makes units. This is SO important.

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    RhapsodyRhapsody Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Had a great series with Topp just now, balls to the wall close. He bested me, 2-1. Games in spoilers below:
    repimg-33-257009.jpg
    repimg-33-257010.jpg
    repimg-33-257011.jpg

Rhapsody on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Kime and I are scheduled to fight Friday evening US time. It will be the most violent and horrific game of starcraft ever witnessed as I beat him at the game so severely it opens a space time vortex between us through which I immediately reach through and rip his testicles off with my bare hand.

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    Kime and I are scheduled to fight Friday evening US time. It will be the most violent and horrific game of starcraft ever witnessed as I beat him at the game so severely it opens a space time vortex between us through which I immediately reach through and rip his testicles off with my bare hand.

So...
    you expect to win, then?

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    People keep saying "You can do x or y well into silver and gold". But I'm in Plat. Is the answer "Wait until you drop?"