As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Preparing My Life for the Peace Corps

OddsonOddson my name is chanceTexasRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I am posting to ask for advice on establishing habits, connections, or experiences that will help me get into and thrive in the Peace Corps. This is kind of an open ended question, but let me give some context so I can be more specific.

I am a sophomore at the University of North Texas majoring in Sociology, hopefully minoring in Non-profit Leadership & Management. My current GPA is a 2.5, finally stabilizing after a roller coaster of a freshman year that went from .5 in the fall which I brought up to a 3.1 by sophomore year. Last semester was mediocre, because after finally acquiring some time management skills I erroneously figured I could handle 17 hours of classes with a 20 hour a week job. This resulted in an F, 2 B's, and 2 C's and was just generally incredibly stressful/harsh on my emotions, mind, and body. This semester I reined it in at 12 hours of classes and the same 20 hour job, which is just sooo much better. I have free time now, manageable reading, and more freedom about the lifestyle I choose to live.

When I first arrived at UNT, I was incredibly excited to be at college. I always wanted this, but I am lucky I got it- I have ADHD and public school was not made for me. My grades were very poor in high school and my high scoring SAT was what got me into UNT, plus the ability to afford it because my father works here as a graduate consultant (dependent scholarship). Even though I was excited to escape public school, somehow I thought I could just dive into college life without any study habits or time management skills. Regardless, I definitely dived in and actually got really engaged in campus life. I attended leadership seminars, volunteered with student associations, and kind of just threw my hat into the ring for anything that vaguely interested me. Especially of import was a housing resident community I joined that combined an emphasis on civic engagement with leadership and self awareness. I thrived in the atmosphere there, and it reaffirmed my desire to pursue higher education and really make an impact in the world. Paradoxically, I could not keep up at all with my academic demands. College is hard, and you have to understand that I seriously had NO time management skills. I worked on what pleased me and completed whatever I cared to remember to do. At the end of the semester, when I finally realized that I had way over committed myself and could not possibly keep up with all the things that I was doing (I wasn't even partying! It just didn't do my work!), it was too late. I catastrophically failed with 3 F's, a D, and a C. This was a big lesson for me. The only thing that stopped me from dropping out was that I had at least spent the semester improving myself and trying to be more self-aware (ironic, right?) so I tried to learn from this experience. And learn I did. Last spring was a dramatic turn around for me. With the help of my peers, faculty, and student services, I literally revolutionized my habits and succeeded like I have NEVER done in my life. I brought my GPA back up enough to get my dad's tuition discount, and here I am in 2012 still determined to graduate.

Okay, I know this is long, bear with me! I am trying to give you a sense of what life is like for me- a lot of having to be very careful of how I spend my time and how I spend my motivational energy, because I don't seem to have a lot of it. I have been learning a lot about how the force of habits impacts our lives, how we are what we do. This is why I need you guys' help on what habits, what lifestyle skills, what adaptations will be necessary for this next chapter of my life. Nowadays, I live in an apartment with 3 guys who don't have the same kind of ambitions I do. They're looking for jobs and a family, and just want to hang out and have a decent time. They're great guys who I can talk to whenever I need, but there's a gulf in lifestyles you know? What they are preparing for just isn't satisfying to me.

Early on in my college career, I decided that I had inherent talents (or at least the potential for them) that would make me a good candidate for the Peace Corps. It will be the first time I really leave the country, it has the potential to start a lifelong career of service, and it looks good on any resume. I am determined to do this, guys. No one in my family has done this before. It's my test, my rock, my goal. I know what they look for in candidates generally- useful life experiences, volunteer experience, an adaptive personality, and most importantly a sense of being a self-starter. I need to be these things. I have read a book about the Peace Corps, so I understand almost all of the technicals about the experience. What I really need to do is forge habits that will matter. So far, this is what I'm focusing on- cultivating a sense of minimalism, taking good care of my personal health (mind-body relationship as it relates to motivation), and being independently responsible for my mental health. This last one is hard though. A lot of what gets me through life is my friends and family, something I will be out of touch with for 28 months. If you remember, the reason I survived beginning college was the people around me. In high school, it was my parents' encouragement. Even now, it's my friends that keep me going. I don't really know what kind of social habits, or other habits as they pertain to mental and personal health, can replace those things. Obviously social engagement with strangers is one, and I am not shy- I just don't know how to go about this in a way that will be useful for the Peace Corps. I know I can browse the many Peace Corps blogs out there for ideas about lifestyles and habits that are useful, but there are soooo many, and I guess I don't even know where to start. My ADHD is a big concern to me as well- how will it affect the actual living experience out there? The community engagement? The work?

TLDR: That's why I'm here! I am looking for advice, stories, anything that you guys think would be helpful. Life lessons, specific concerns, alternate perspectives- anything that might give me a better shot at getting into and thriving in the Peace Corps. If you have read the whole post or even part of it, thanks so much for your time! You guys have helped me in the past and I definitely appreciate your input.

Oddson on

• Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    Good on you for getting your life in order! You are already putting in the work and establishing habits that will last you the rest of your life. That's awesome!
    I found that my early twenties was the exact right time to be doing just this sort of thing. You are old enough to be self-aware and cognizant of your shortcomings and your strengths, but also young enough to challenge yourself to become the person you want to be. It is like a perfect combo of self direction and malleability. Take advantage of it.

As for the Peace Corps, well, I don't know too much about it other than they are sure to have thousands of applicants for a small amount of slots. Don't bank your whole raison d'etre on one application, don't give up on all the good you've done if you don't get in.
    Focus on what you want from that experience and find other ways to make that happen for yourself. Want to travel? Look into study abroad. Want to do good in the world? Find a cause in your local community and volunteer to help.
    You say you have talents, or potential for talents, that you want to foster. Find ways to identify those talents and exploit them. You can do that in the Peace Corps, sure. You can also do that closer to home. There's a need and a cause that's right for you. Don't be afraid to go exploring.

• Options
    OddsonOddson my name is chance TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for the comment Aurora! That's encouraging about the twenties being a good time for this stuff. In terms of not banking on the Peace Corps, I understand that a back up plan might be in order. The problem is I am very limited by my GPA... even if things stay stable right as they are, I don't think I'm scholarship or grant material. Graduate school and study abroad seem off the table for money reasons. Study abroad seems AWESOME but it is so expensive. I kind of settled on the Peace Corps because they are more concerned with your personality and dedication than your academic excellence.

I am almost certain I can get into the Peace Corps. They turn away 2/3 of their applicants and the application process can take up to a year, but if you write good essays, give good interviews, and really care, it seems you will get in. So I guess what I am most worried about is... how should I spend my time till then? What should I look to taking care of?

Oddson on
  • Options
    Also I am well aware of the irony that joining the Peace Corps requires you to adapt to changing circumstances and here I am planning 3 years ahead of time. This is literally the beginning of me specifically trying to prepare for it so don't read into it too much ;) still very ADHD hahaha

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    One of my friends has been through the program, and he said the best skill he brought with him was some basic carpentry that his grand pa showed him when he was younger, because he was always having to make some bullshit work. That being said the program can be selective so you'll have to be persistent.

zepherin on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    They're particularly choosy now I hear.

Anyway, I've known and spent time overseas with a number of Peace Corps volunteers. You might be stationed somewhere where you live in a hut.. or you might be stationed somewhere where you have a two-bedroom apartment (with a washer and dryer and high-speed internet) to yourself! So don't feel the need to go full-on ascetic just yet. Cultivating a sense of individualism is good, because in some cases you'll be stationed somewhere hundreds of miles from the main offices, and with as little as one other volunteer around. Alternatively, you might be put downtown in a metropolis with a vibrant expat community.

Also be prepared to be a go-getter, because I've seen cases of people being assigned to a remote location, and largely left to their own devices to implement some kind of program. Then again, I've also seen people that have been embedded at a reasonably high-level engineering position to help modernize infrastructure, and given a fair amount of support.

Basically, the program varies widely from region to region and country to country. You could end up with any of a number of different situations. Don't think too hard about it yet.

I'd be happy to relate some more specific advice by PM (I never joined the Peace Corps, though I seriously considered it) if you're interested.

adytum on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I was looking at a TESL Masters through the Peace Corps pretty seriously before I did my study abroad.

As Adytum said, they are VERY choosy right now. First, you need to get that GPA way up. Also, what other languages do you know? Being semi-fluent (as in being able to hold a conversation with a native) in something like Spanish or French will go a long way. Also, volunteer, volunteer, volunteer.

Honestly, and I'm not saying this to be negative, but I don't know how much of a good idea Peace Corps would be for you. After reading your post and knowing that you have ADHD, I really think something closer to home would be a much better idea for you. I don't know how much time you've spent abroad, but getting plopped in the middle of nowhere for 27 months is a very, very stressful situation and it's not something you can easily withdrawal from if you decide it's not for you.

• Options
    Indeed, if you have any hope of choosing your placement, you must be proficient in a second language. The Central and South American postings used to be the most competitive (and I would be stunned if that had changed) and you will basically be out of the running if you don't speak Spanish at a high level.

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Hmm, would you also consider something like Americorps or City Year?

I know someone who has some mild depression (wasn't actually diagnosed) and also had a lot of poor grades in college (but at an Ivy) and didn't get into Peace Corps because they were too concerned about his mental health. On the other hand, I know someone else who has OCD and depression and a bunch of other stuff going on who was able to get into AmeriCorps and had an amazing time doing it.

• Options
    First off, thank you for the thoughtful responses. This has given me a lot to think about.

It's news to me that the Peace Corps has recently gotten more selective. I expect my GPA to gradually rise now, but I did not think I needed to learn a language prior to whatever language training the Peace Corps gives you already. If this is true, that's okay- I wouldn't mind taking a couple semesters of Spanish and rounding out my 'meh' high school knowledge of it. I definitely intend to keep volunteering, and looking at the Peace Corps website, 3-6 months (so like an internship or an obvious regular commitment to a community) seems to be what they want to see.

It is really interesting to me that the programs they are filling out can be so diverse! I will try to be open minded about what I could potentially do. Adytum, I would love to pm you and get some more information from you about your experiences! That's the stuff of gold for me.

To be honest, Esh hit the nail on the head. The stress of succeeding and trying to make my time worthwhile on the tour intimidates me, because of my history. I CAN change my lifestyle, and I can summon up some serious determination but these efforts have always been predicated on the strength of my personal relationships. I'm what you'd call a relator... I like to share about myself and learn about others, and I view relationships as a kind of symbiotic resource. I don't think I necessarily live for others (making others proud of me or trying to help them is not my sole source of motivation) but I do have a tendency to fall back on family and friends when I am trying to make an adjustment in my lifestyle. This is what bothers me. It's helpful and healthy in some respects, but in this situation, it seems like a weakness. I won't have the people I trust most near me in the Peace Corps. I can forge new relationships and new sources of trust and guidance, but not if I am literally in a hut with any other volunteer far, far away. Do you think that I can express this to the recruiters/interviewers without making it seem like a weakness? Is it possible to join a program in the Peace Corps that heavily emphasizes teamwork?

Or is there a way I can develop a new life habit to replace this 'relator' tendency? I don't know about that, you know? That's something I've learned to do over my entire life. I am willing to change, but I don't know how.

On the Americorps, I would definitely be amenable to that. It doesn't have the same attraction to me as the Peace Corps, but I am open to it! I have also thought about doing a short stint in the Americorps during a summer or something. I know they have programs like that. Anyway, thanks for your advice guys! I appreciate it. :)

• Options
    edited March 2012
    You only need a language if you want any hope of choosing where you want to go. If you have no language skills and no preferences, you'll get all the language training you need before you're sent off to BFE.

adytum on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Although knowing a second language should be a very important thing on anybody's list, regardless. It's amazingly awesome, it opens up your mind immensely, it's incredibly rewarding and it widens your opportunities on all fields.

My native language is Portuguese, so it's pretty easy to me understanding Spanish and Italian, and even some French. English is my second language, and even though it was never my goal from the start (I'm also ADHD and I never actually had a real goal to pursue), I have a pretty awesome life right now because of English. I localize games and translate books to Portuguese, and I'm pretty damn good at it.

Sorry to ramble and talk about me so much, but I can't stress enough how beneficial it is to learn other languages.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    adytum wrote: »
    You only need a language if you want any hope of choosing where you want to go. If you have no language skills and no preferences, you'll get all the language training you need before you're sent off to BFE.

Sure, but you're much, much less likely to be accepted and the level of training they give you is much less than actually taking the classes in college.

I'm pretty sure you have basically no say in choosing where you go as well. It's dependent on your skill sets and where they need those.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Esh wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »

Sure, but you're much, much less likely to be accepted and the level of training they give you is much less than actually taking the classes in college.

I'm pretty sure you have basically no say in choosing where you go as well. It's dependent on your skill sets and where they need those.

Definitely. IIRC, you get a quick course followed by living with a local family for a short period to help acclimate to the country.

The better your skillset (education, language, experience) the choosier you can be about what postings you want. With a BA, no language, and no work or volunteer experience, you'd be stuck taking whatever's offered.

adytum on