As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    I may not be framing this question in the best way, but is there a way to get Win10 search to work more like Win8.1 search?

Upgraded to Win10 a week or so ago, and when I used Win8.1 I'd just hit the Win key and start typing "Team..." and the TeamViewer setup file (TeamViewer_Setup_en.exe) would be in the search list and I could select it and launch it. I know I can just install TeamViewer, but I prefer to run applications instead of installing them if I have the option. Now, even when I type out the whole filename it doesn't show any local file system hits in the search list, it just gives option to "search the web". The file is in my Downloads directory, just like it was in Win8.1.

I'd been using 8.1 for a couple years now and am very accustomed to how the search (Win key, then start typing) works, so I'd like to know if this is some kind of default settings tweak elsewise what kind of user training do I need to get search to work the way it used to.

this might be start menu bugging out because of the stupid new 500 item limit.
    I fixed that by installing Classic Menu, which amazingly works, unlike Windows 10. I mean, it's not like MS has been making start menus for 20 years.

Thanks, but I think I'm mis-stating my issue. I am patched to 1511 BTW.

In Win 8.1 Pro, if I hit the Win key and then type "mmc" I get this screen. And I want to launch mmc.exe, so great.
    If I do the same in Win 10 Pro I get this. And there seems no way for me to fiddle with this so it points me to mmc.exe.

Similarly (in Win 8.1 Pro) if I hit Win key and then type "scr" I get this screen. And if I select "Files" instead of "Everywhere" for context I get this screen. This works for me since I'm trying to find images that start with the string "screenshot".
    And in Win 10 hitting Win key then typing "scr" gives me this.

It's like Win 10 search is searching a different context than in Win 8.1 search or stuff is not being indexed as thoroughly. Is there a way to may Win 10 search work the same way as Win 8.1?

I'm a bit loathe to say this, but I'll just power through it:

I just did the exact things you were trying to do (Win key -> type "mmc" or "scr" -> get search results), and I got the exact results that you were seeing in Win8.1 (and not seeing what you're seeing in Win10). Win -> mmc = "mmc.exe run command" while Win -> scr = "On-Screen Keyboard desktop app" and my Screenshots folder.

Are you using Cortana? Or should I say, could this be because I'm not using Cortana? I decided not to cause I didn't want to have to create an MS account and link it to all my searches when I'm just searching for stuff on my own computer.

I'm getting this behavior on both my work machine and my home machine (home machine not updated to 1511 yet). In case I am a special snowflake, is there a way to "reset" search to default behavior in case I've done something to teach the search algorithm that I don't want it to index/search normal directories (like Windows and my libraries)?

It *could* be. I know I locked down most of my privacy settings, but I do think Cortana is running (the search bar does say "I'm Cortana. Ask me anything." But yeah...the MS account thing was a non-issue for me because I just use my XBox Live login.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »
    Is there a way to stop windows from bugging me to upgrade? I'm 8.1, and plan on upgrading, I just haven't yet. Life is busy, and I want to take an afternoon to do it. I just want it to stop bugging me.

Seems like the current solutions are: a.) hide the notification icon, b.) manually uninstall the update that introduces it, or c.) some special voodoo zip file that I don't trust. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-rid-windows-10-upgrade-notification-windows-7-8/

I can try this, what bugs me is I can't seem to update windows 8.1. The update that keeps showing up is windows 10. Is there really no support for 8.1? I can't hide the update for windows 10, as windows automatically re-finds it in a minute.

I want to add this I found:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-notification-in-notification-area-wont/67b59f61-ca55-4d88-8fc5-dd3765b8771f?page=2

If anyone else wants to hide the thing. I'm still worried that I see windows 10 as an update. I just want to do this on my own time, and not be bothered until I choose to. I'm supposed to have a year, and this is the worse time of year for me to upgrade.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    ff7007ff7007 Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    I may not be framing this question in the best way, but is there a way to get Win10 search to work more like Win8.1 search?

Upgraded to Win10 a week or so ago, and when I used Win8.1 I'd just hit the Win key and start typing "Team..." and the TeamViewer setup file (TeamViewer_Setup_en.exe) would be in the search list and I could select it and launch it. I know I can just install TeamViewer, but I prefer to run applications instead of installing them if I have the option. Now, even when I type out the whole filename it doesn't show any local file system hits in the search list, it just gives option to "search the web". The file is in my Downloads directory, just like it was in Win8.1.

I'd been using 8.1 for a couple years now and am very accustomed to how the search (Win key, then start typing) works, so I'd like to know if this is some kind of default settings tweak elsewise what kind of user training do I need to get search to work the way it used to.

I fixed that by installing Classic Menu, which amazingly works, unlike Windows 10. I mean, it's not like MS has been making start menus for 20 years.

In Win 8.1 Pro, if I hit the Win key and then type "mmc" I get this screen. And I want to launch mmc.exe, so great.
    If I do the same in Win 10 Pro I get this. And there seems no way for me to fiddle with this so it points me to mmc.exe.

Similarly (in Win 8.1 Pro) if I hit Win key and then type "scr" I get this screen. And if I select "Files" instead of "Everywhere" for context I get this screen. This works for me since I'm trying to find images that start with the string "screenshot".

It's like Win 10 search is searching a different context than in Win 8.1 search or stuff is not being indexed as thoroughly. Is there a way to may Win 10 search work the same way as Win 8.1?

I just did the exact things you were trying to do (Win key -> type "mmc" or "scr" -> get search results), and I got the exact results that you were seeing in Win8.1 (and not seeing what you're seeing in Win10). Win -> mmc = "mmc.exe run command" while Win -> scr = "On-Screen Keyboard desktop app" and my Screenshots folder.

Are you using Cortana? Or should I say, could this be because I'm not using Cortana? I decided not to cause I didn't want to have to create an MS account and link it to all my searches when I'm just searching for stuff on my own computer.

I'm getting this behavior on both my work machine and my home machine (home machine not updated to 1511 yet). In case I am a special snowflake, is there a way to "reset" search to default behavior in case I've done something to teach the search algorithm that I don't want it to index/search normal directories (like Windows and my libraries)?

It *could* be. I know I locked down most of my privacy settings, but I do think Cortana is running (the search bar does say "I'm Cortana. Ask me anything." But yeah...the MS account thing was a non-issue for me because I just use my XBox Live login.

I do believe that turning off Cortana basically kills Win 10 search. I managed to turn her off at some point and got myself quite frustrated at how useless searching was until I realized what I had done.

PSN: Rauhy FFRK: 9YYP Steam: Rauhy Battle.net: Rauhy#1977
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

on my home machine, I don't have cortana turned on, mostly because I just have been too lazy to install the right language pack. I keep meaning too but just forget. so it'll work, and the searching works perfectly. To try to fix/reset it, do a google search for "reset windows search index" and see if that helps you. it'll kill the index and rebuild it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Cortana flat out isn't available on a ton of countries, including mine. Remember, the world is a vast place, and assistants like Cortana and Siri need location based support to work, so MS and Apple keep them off until the can get the entire system to work.

So, win 10 search DOES work without cortana, because even MS isn't dumb enough to kill OS search in most countries.

I mentioned the menu entry limit because when Windows give you the "right" search results you want it's because that item is in the start menu list (or the start screen, for Win8.x). without a working start menu/screen, it won't give the thing you want back. Classic Start Menu fixes that. Because, hey, the fucking update did nothing!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Microsoft backtracked on the OneDrive changes a bit. You can keep 15GB of free storage (and also keep the Camera Roll 15GB bonus) if you opt in on this site before Jan 31.

https://preview.onedrive.com/bonus/

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Microsoft backtracked on the OneDrive changes a bit. You can keep 15GB of free storage (and also keep the Camera Roll 15GB bonus) if you opt in on this site before Jan 31.

https://preview.onedrive.com/bonus/

It's apparently that simple. As stated in the past, I've got more space than I know what to do with due to various promotions I took advantage of (in my case, it's 1.15 TB, of which I use 0.02 TB). It's nice (and actually not very surprising) to see the offer.

• Options
    I'm so glad I just checked this thread. I'm moving all my pictures and videos, but the 30 gigs will be nice for working files.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    If I upgraded a computer from 7 to 10 and then the hard drive fails, is there an easier way to get back to W10 than installing 7 and upgrading again?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure you can install 10 from scratch.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yes, you can.

• Options
    And just use the W7 key?

Might be moot because it seems that the problem isn't the drive.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    No, your hardware ID is saved to Microsoft's servers. Don't need a key at all. In theory.

• Options
    If you don't get permission, call Microsoft support. It's a drag, but they're more friendly than not and honestly it's very easy to convince them.

The wait can suck though.

• Options
    Yeah. Running Linux off a usb stick give a kernel panic so now it's a matter of deciding if this old PC is worth saving.

Thanks for the info guys.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    You're supposed to be able to use your W7 key now when installing W10.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    darren66 wrote: »
    You're supposed to be able to use your W7 key now when installing W10.

You do need to have install media that's updated to the 1511 version, build 10286. You can download that now, but if you try to stick a key into an installer that's based off the July RTM it won't work.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Where's the easiest place (without an MSDN sub) to get the 1511 media?

• Options
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

the one microsoft provides should be up to date.

• Options
    How long do you think it takes to upgrade from 8.1 to 10? So I can set aside a time to do it.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    How long do you think it takes to upgrade from 8.1 to 10? So I can set aside a time to do it.

hardware dependent, but anywhere from 30-60 minutes assuming nothing goes wrong

• Options

an hour, maybe, depending on if you have an SSD or a spinning drive in the machine. Honestly it requires no user intervention after you hit go. Start it, and like, go watch a movie or something, it'll be done at the end.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Just upgraded my dad's laptop to 10 then ran Windows Update; apparently a few updates failed to install according to the Update History, but when I run update again it says everything is up to date, so I have no option to reinstall them. Buh?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

the one microsoft provides should be up to date.

I fixed the link for FREEDOMTOWN.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    A friend has corrupted boot, we're should I point her to fix it?

Hp laptop. She said she could hit esc to acces bios.

I don't know we're Microsoft has a repair iso for download.

Edit:
    I had her use the windows media creation tool to create a USB ISO and told her to boot from it and try repair. I think that is a good direction.

DyasAlure on
  • Options
    Sorry to kick the dead horse again--I'm thinking of making the plunge from Windows Pro 8.1 to Windows 10 (after making a backup image of my boot drive--call me overly cautious), since I've got the time with my vacation (also a lot of those new Windows 10 apps are looking really, really good next to mostly-abandoned Windows 8.1 apps).

Aside from using that wizard I've been ignoring for months so far, anything I should keep an eye out for? I did the upgrade process on my old Surface Pro 1, and it seemed to work fine (though I haven't used that as much since work game me a Surface Pro 3, hence my willingness to take the leap). In particular I want to know what to delete/transfer once the upgrade is complete to save space (my boot drive is a Samsung Evo 850 Pro, so not a lot of space), besides Windows.old I assume.

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    You can use USB stick to install 10, should accept your existing serial. I think you can make a clean install from there? I don't know if there is some things done differently than in 8 or 7 USB installation.

• Options
    honestly, there's nothing you really need to do, aside from the backup of the 8.1 install. The upgrade takes care of everything. After it is done, everything is there, as it was, just with windows 10 instead of 8.1.

Don't delete the windows.old folder right away either. if you keep it, it will let you roll back to 8.1 without needing to restore your backup, and it will be deleted automatically after 30 days anyway. There's nothing else to delete.

It really isn't more complicated than pressing "go" and coming back to it in an hour or so.

• Options
    Yeah, I don't think I need to install via USB since I do want to do an upgrade (I know I ought to do a fresh install of EVERYTHING), but really the amount of labor that involves, and my reluctance to move out of Windows 8.1 (I'm really worried about old compatibility breaking) has turned me off to that currently.

Really, Windows Pro 8.1 is good enough to the point where I don't need to get rid of it (the only thing I'm really missing are the new Xbox functions and the apps).

• Options
    You'll find this 50/50 split, but in my opinion fresh installs aren't always necessary anymore. Yes, there are cases where it can be, but the way Microsoft actually engineers upgrades and the PC resets, especially if you choose to move no data over, is 99% of the same thing as a clean install. Even when you take data and apps over, it's still approximately eleven billion times better than it was in the horror days of upgrades from 98 to xp to vista.

• Options
    You'll find this 50/50 split, but in my opinion fresh installs aren't always necessary anymore. Yes, there are cases where it can be, but the way Microsoft actually engineers upgrades and the PC resets, especially if you choose to move no data over, is 99% of the same thing as a clean install. Even when you take data and apps over, it's still approximately eleven billion times better than it was in the horror days of upgrades from 98 to xp to vista.

Fortunately I'm not doing any 3-gen upgrades--this machine had 8.1 installed on it when NCIX sent it to me. If I were upgrading from Windows 7 64-bit, I'd be a little more wary. Obviously I will be carrying over data, that's the whole point, but it's still good to hear--not to mention knowing that I can undo it even without resorting to my backup image (which would be a little tricky on my setup--basically, I'd be taking an image of my Samsung Evo Pro, restoring that on my second SSD, my Crucial M4, then copying that over to the Samsung Evo Pro, all the while creating various backups of each). Unless I'm misunderstanding the option.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Fortunately I'm not doing any 3-gen upgrades--this machine had 8.1 installed on it when NCIX sent it to me. If I were upgrading from Windows 7 64-bit, I'd be a little more wary. Obviously I will be carrying over data, that's the whole point, but it's still good to hear--not to mention knowing that I can undo it even without resorting to my backup image (which would be a little tricky on my setup--basically, I'd be taking an image of my Samsung Evo Pro, restoring that on my second SSD, my Crucial M4, then copying that over to the Samsung Evo Pro, all the while creating various backups of each). Unless I'm misunderstanding the option.

It has nothing to do with whether you're upgrading from Win7 or 8.x. It doesn't use any of the old OS files at all. Think of it like storing all of your data on a small corner of the drive, wiping windows, installing windows, then taking your data out of that small corner and putting it in the new install.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Synthesis wrote: »

It has nothing to do with whether you're upgrading from Win7 or 8.x. It doesn't use any of the old OS files at all. Think of it like storing all of your data on a small corner of the drive, wiping windows, installing windows, then taking your data out of that small corner and putting it in the new install.

No, that makes sense--for me that's always been a vague area. I wouldn't say so much as "using old files" so much as "installing on top of them" if that makes any sense (and not necessarily disabling old things, which might be a problem if you're coming from more than one previous OS).

EDIT: Plus, my previous driver issues, which is something you invariably hear a few horror stories about (even if they're by no means guaranteed).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I was given the new Surface keyboard for Christmas. It's a big improvement, both the keys and the trackpad. I'd say it's now absolutely the equivalent of the keyboard and trackpad on my Macbook air, which I've previously thought of as industry best.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    So is Windows 10 like... okay now?

I'm building a new computer and I'm probably just going to drop the old HDD/SSD in the new case, but I was thinking about pulling the trigger on the free upgrade.

The fact that the "hey do you want to upgrade" thing is a little un-quittable nuisance that refuses to stop re-appearing and gives me the options "upgrade" or "upgrade now" makes me a little anxious. Is all of 10 this annoying?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Ok, I have the WEIRDEST fucking problem on Win10.

My main pc loses connection to the internet after some time of usage, it can be some minutes or a few hours. Browsers won't load pages, dropbox goes offline.
    This has started happening for the last week or so.

What I have determined so far:
    - It happens with ethernet or Wifi USB dongle, and with several different ethernet cables and ports on the modem/router.
    - It doesn't happen to my laptop or my portable devices like Android or iOS phones or my wife's laptop.
    - rebooting mostly fixes it.
    - reinstalling device drivers won't help
    - I don't have proxies or any other stuff like that.
    - It happens whether the PC has gone into sleep mode in the mean time or not.
    - windows troubleshooting won't do anything.

I tried googling, but didn't find anything that helped me so far. It seems to be an OS issue, but what could be interfering with networking, and where to look for that? How do I test this issue to determined the point of failure?

Here are my specs: Win 10 pro up to date; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 with broadcom netlink Gigabit, Core i5 2500K, 8gb RAM, paid Avast antivirus and regular windows firewall.

I have no more idea of what to do or where to look for help.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    So is Windows 10 like... okay now?

I'm building a new computer and I'm probably just going to drop the old HDD/SSD in the new case, but I was thinking about pulling the trigger on the free upgrade.

The fact that the "hey do you want to upgrade" thing is a little un-quittable nuisance that refuses to stop re-appearing and gives me the options "upgrade" or "upgrade now" makes me a little anxious. Is all of 10 this annoying?

Windows 10 has always been fine. Remember, the people who do have issues are the ones you'll hear complain. The literally 10's of millions of people who have upgraded with no issues whatsoever won't say much since they have no issues. Unless you have a specific use case where its some kind of production machine and you can't afford downtime, etc, There's no reason not to. And agian, you can just go back to 8.1 if you need to.

• Options
    Ok, I have the WEIRDEST fucking problem on Win10.

My main pc loses connection to the internet after some time of usage, it can be some minutes or a few hours. Browsers won't load pages, dropbox goes offline.
    This has started happening for the last week or so.

What I have determined so far:
    - It happens with ethernet or Wifi USB dongle, and with several different ethernet cables and ports on the modem/router.
    - It doesn't happen to my laptop or my portable devices like Android or iOS phones or my wife's laptop.
    - rebooting mostly fixes it.
    - reinstalling device drivers won't help
    - I don't have proxies or any other stuff like that.
    - It happens whether the PC has gone into sleep mode in the mean time or not.
    - windows troubleshooting won't do anything.

I tried googling, but didn't find anything that helped me so far. It seems to be an OS issue, but what could be interfering with networking, and where to look for that? How do I test this issue to determined the point of failure?

Here are my specs: Win 10 pro up to date; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 with broadcom netlink Gigabit, Core i5 2500K, 8gb RAM, paid Avast antivirus and regular windows firewall.

I have no more idea of what to do or where to look for help.

Run a malware scan.

• Options
    Ran avira, spybot and Malwarebytes, all clear. Will run a full scan overnite. Don't think it's malware, though.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Well, gonna take a plunge: will make a disk image of my boot drive, keep it secret and safe, then take the upgrade. Found an alternative to OblyTile, got Office 2016 for $10 from my employer. Got a nice enclosure in case I do need to use copy the disk image onto the new installation for whatever reason.

No overkill like precautionary overkill.

Synthesis on