As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS Vita] 2.0: PS1 support is a go (unless you live in North America and don't own a PS3)

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    DVG wrote: »
    So thanks to a large gift card I'm gonna get a vita. If you could only have one launch game, is uncharted the way to go?

Actually, no. I mean, unless you really want a "big" action adventure. If so, it's very good, but there are a lot of great games for the Vita that might last you longer, or at least have more replayability.

Personally, I've gotten way more mileage out of UMvC, Hot Shots Golf, Virtua Tennis, Super Stardust Delta, and Wipeout.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, this is what I own:

- Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
    - Touch My Katamari
    - Super Stardust Delta
    - Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
    - Wipeout 2048
    - Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    - Hustle Kings
    - Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
    - Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!
    - Little Deviants

I've listed them roughly in the order that I would recommend them as a "one-and-only" purchase - meaning that you'll just own the one game for awhile. Uncharted is great - probably more polished than some of the games I've put higher on this list - but it's the kind of game that you really just play once. I wouldn't recommend it as a first/only purchase. Get something with some replayability, like Touch My Katamari or Hot Shots Golf. Wipeout is great, but it's difficult so I might not recommend that as a first/only purchase either because you'll have nothing to escape to when it frustrates you.

And don't buy Little Deviants. Ever. It came with my system. I would have rather not had a bundled game, I think.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Well I'm probably getting Disgaea 3 as well, which will be my "can play for infinity hours" game

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    StewapetStewapet Registered User regular
    Yeah, you really can't go wrong with any of the following:
    Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational, Super Stardust Delta, Rayman: Origins, Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!

PSN ID: Stewapet
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    First question, no. (YET. They said it will be added down the road)

No idea about the second one though, I only use one ID.
    CorriganX wrote: »
    You cannot play PS1 games directly on the vita. However, you can remote play PS1 games through the PS3 if you'd like that. I like to watch TV while playing PS1 games on the vita through remote play.

You can only support 1 PSN ID per memory card on the vita. You have to reset the vita and switch memory cards to switch IDs. :(

Fantastic, thanks guys.

Kind of sucks that you can only have 1 PSN ID per memory card. For everything they're doing right a few things just seem like very odd choices resulting from a compromise of some sort. Yet, I'm sure there's a good reason why it has to be that way.

Unco-ordinated has said that that's not actually true, and that accounts aren't tied to memory cards at all. You'll still have to reset the vita to factory defaults, but you don't have to swap the memory card apparently.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Well I'm probably getting Disgaea 3 as well, which will be my "can play for infinity hours" game

Is that out this month? I still need to "finish" Disgaea 2 I guess, even though I kind of hate Disgaea 2.

(I probably won't finish Disgaea 2.)

It's sitting on my Vita, though.

Drez on
  • Options
    Chrysis wrote: »

You cannot play PS1 games directly on the vita. However, you can remote play PS1 games through the PS3 if you'd like that. I like to watch TV while playing PS1 games on the vita through remote play.

You can only support 1 PSN ID per memory card on the vita. You have to reset the vita and switch memory cards to switch IDs. :(

Fantastic, thanks guys.

Kind of sucks that you can only have 1 PSN ID per memory card. For everything they're doing right a few things just seem like very odd choices resulting from a compromise of some sort. Yet, I'm sure there's a good reason why it has to be that way.

Unco-ordinated has said that that's not actually true, and that accounts aren't tied to memory cards at all. You'll still have to reset the vita to factory defaults, but you don't have to swap the memory card apparently.

What do you lose when you set your Vita to the factory settings?

• Options
    Drez wrote: »

Is that out this month? I still need to "finish" Disgaea 2 I guess, even though I kind of hate Disgaea 2.

EBGames has a Release Date of 4/17/2012.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Stewapet wrote: »

EBGames has a Release Date of 4/17/2012.

Ah, thanks.

I know there's something out this month that I want. Ah, Gamestop has 3/31 for LBP Vita. That is a day one purchase for me.

Drez on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Not until Mid-April, so you have time.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    So who is picking up Unit 13? I'll need a partner for it. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I may give the Unit 13 demo a shot tomorrow

Though, I really shouldn't be buying any more games at the moment

• Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    So thanks to a large gift card I'm gonna get a vita. If you could only have one launch game, is uncharted the way to go?

Problem is what are you gonna play when you finish the campaign? There isn't a multiplayer or anything, so all you really can do is replay on different difficulty levels. I'm not saying it's a bad game at all, but I wouldn't want it to be the only game I have. I'd say get something with a lot of replay value first, like a fighting game that you can always come back to, and then pick up Uncharted. You'll also save ten bucks at first.

• Options

Not until Mid-April, so you have time.

I think what kills Disgaea 2 for me is all that treasure map hunting shit. I just don't want to deal with it.

• Options
    nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    Wipeout gets real in a hurry. I was all "elite pass this" and "elite pass that," and starting to feel like the time I put into HD/Fury was well spent, then I got smacked down hard. And often. Jiminy Christmas. I'm happy to be passing some of the races at all now.

And on the topic of difficulty? Hot Shots ups the ante pretty quickly as well. I love it. Make me earn every par/birdie.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • Options
    nathanael wrote: »
    And on the topic of difficulty? Hot Shots ups the ante pretty quickly as well. I love it. Make me earn every par/birdie.

You can say that again. I was quite offended when it offered me easy mode. I didn't take it, and won a hard fought round. It's making me play better/safer.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Any idea how long this PSN downtime is supposed to last? I was planning on throwing some more money at Sony tonight and buying games I don't need for my Vita, but I guess they don't want my money since I can't log in. My list of PSP games that I want to eventually own is growing quite large. I'm gonna need a separate memory card just for old games.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Any idea how long this PSN downtime is supposed to last? I was planning on throwing some more money at Sony tonight and buying games I don't need for my Vita, but I guess they don't want my money since I can't log in. My list of PSP games that I want to eventually own is growing quite large. I'm gonna need a separate memory card just for old games.

15 hours, I believe. So, until like 6am EST?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

Fantastic, thanks guys.

Everything that's saved internally (so your account, display settings, wallpapers, etc), while everything on the memory card will stay (albeit unusable if it's paid content).

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Anyone know a good place to download Vita homes screens?

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular

Fantastic, thanks guys.

To the best of my knowledge you lose your time settings, language settings, etc. All the things that you do in the initial setup. You also have to be careful because if the memory card is still in it will ask if you want to format it. You'll also have to reauthorise it if my read of the video is correct.

I don't actually have one, so I'm working on inferences from what has been said in this thread and what the IGN video says. When I finally get one it'll be one of the first things I test.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    Anyone know a good place to download Vita homes screens?

Well, there's this:

http://www.vitawallpapers.com/

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular

Fantastic, thanks guys.

To the best of my knowledge you lose your time settings, language settings, etc. All the things that you do in the initial setup. You also have to be careful because if the memory card is still in it will ask if you want to format it. You'll also have to reauthorise it if my read of the video is correct.

I don't actually have one, so I'm working on inferences from what has been said in this thread and what the IGN video says. When I finally get one it'll be one of the first things I test.

You lose all of your settings, it will prompt you that it will deactivate your psn account from the vita, as well as prompt you asking if you want to format the memory card. You can choose not to format the card so everything will still be intact other than your settings. Useful if you want to switch PSN accounts without having to wipe the memory card.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    It was mentioned a while back, but NeoGAF has a thread for Vita wallpapers that has some incredible stuff in it.

They're getting some really neat looking stuff out of playing with transparency, including really making those page dots on the left of the screen just pop.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Finally got to play a demo unit today.

In the home screen, and the main menus of Uncharted and Wipeout I couldn't navigate menus with the d-pad and face buttons, I was forced to use the touch screen...can you really not navigate menus with the face buttons? That would annoy the hell out of me.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    It is an unfortunate reality, but you get used to it quick enough. And what matters is the device.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    My first Vita review is up. Rayman Origins, a game you already played! http://www.thegamingvault.com/2012/03/review-rayman-origins-vita/

I struggled with this one, debating on whether to give it a 10/10. It's a case of YMMV on whether the handheld version is the best one. The game certainly does work as a quick pick me up and play.

But ultimately that's irrelevant. It's fantastic regardless of what you play it on.

BlazBlue next week.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    Oh man, I forgot about Rayman. That's another game I should pick up. I loved the demo, and it has so much personality that is something I cannot resist.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

And don't buy Little Deviants. Ever. It came with my system. I would have rather not had a bundled game, I think.
    You should take it to Best Buy, they are giving 16 bucks trade in for it. At least that's what they were giving when I took it in. Also with the purchase of a Vita game, I got an extra 40% credit on it, so I think in the end I got 23 dollars credit for a 30 dollar game. So worth it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Finished Uncharted. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Just in time for a Mass Effect 3 playthrough as well.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Welp, decided to get a PS Vita because I really had the urge to play some Patapon and decided my old PSPs are not gonna get better value than the current Gamestop deal. And then of course PSN is down for maintenance all day.

Edit: Wow, talk about annoying. No Patapon 3, I can't get the Patapon 2 demo to get the special item either. Anyone with a Patapon 2 demo save file so I can just transfer that over and start with it?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Do you have a PS3? A lot of the PSP games that aren't on the Vita store to download yet will still work if you download them on a PS3 then transfer it over to the Vita.

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So, the PS Blog revealed that Vita owners will be getting Motorstorm RC for free as a limited time offer sposored by Scion, starting tomorrow. I had no interest at all in this until now, but for free I'm all in! :)

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Do you have a PS3? A lot of the PSP games that aren't on the Vita store to download yet will still work if you download them on a PS3 then transfer it over to the Vita.

Tried that, but apparently Vita can't play PSP demos.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I had $20 on my account waiting for Motorstorm RC. Now I'll spend it on something else! So awesome.

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I had $20 on my account waiting for Motorstorm RC. Now I'll spend it on something else! So awesome.

Well, if you still want it for your PS3, you gotta pay for that version.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »

Tried that, but apparently Vita can't play PSP demos.

Sony probably did that for security reasons. Exploits if found are easier done on demos rather than purchased games. Even if said exploits only effect the PSP emulator. (Yes, there's already been homebrew for the PSP Emulator, but Sony's removed/patched the games exploitable to get to it.)

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    I'm super pumped about free Motorstorm RC. I thought that was a $40 title, actually. Was prepared to buy it this week.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    UmbryUmbry Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Man, Uncharted Golden Abyss is a fantastic game. It amuses me though that throughout all of the Uncharted games, Drake kills hundreds, if not thousands, of soldiers, mercenaries, etc.
    but he has qualms about killing an old friend who tried to kill him.

Umbry on
    Edond.png
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    So is anyone getting The Show 12 tomorrow?

ach.png