As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ess Essex! [That's SSX]

StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Social Entropy++
22748_544910.jpg

So this came out on tuesday!

I picked it up, did you pick it up? It's pretty fun and outlandish.

Things that are awesome

Avalanche Mode

This mode takes place with a different camera angle, so it looks like this, sorta

http://youtu.be/HHuMbcROIK0

Edit: here's what it looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hB65ooLUJ8

Except with snowboards. Bascially you do a freeride run, from the perspective of the helicopter, it's tricky getting used it, but it's actually pretty awesome, and probaby the closest thing to actual snowboarding in the game. With giant drops that would probably break your legs.

The usual SSX fare is here, except this time it's about competing to conquor the DEADLY DESCEEEEENTSSSSSSssssss....

9 Horrifying mountains each with some way they kill you, be it Trees, Rocks, Giant gaps between mountains traversable only by Wing Suit (yes wing suit), Blindness (be it darkness or snow) and extreme temperatures or lack of oxygen.

They take place in

The Rockies
The Himalayas (The boss mountain being Everest)
Antarcica
Siberia (grinding over decomissioned nuclear power plants.)
Africa (tunnels through volcanos)
The Alps
New Zealand
Alaska (The Avalanche Mode Part)
Patagonia (Wingsuiting between mountains)

oh and you get Mt Fuji with your online pass.

Then there's Explore Mode, which allows you to do runs of race and tricky variety on all mountains, 159 runs in total I believe.

And Global Events, in which you compete against people online for the best score and get a shitload of credits if your score is on top by the time the event expires.

Here's a trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvizmCS8kAY

And a quick look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxFLEKYW014

Lets not forget about the music! The production of which was headed up by Amon Tobin, future producer extraordinaire!

Here's a little bitty that talks about the music and touches on Amon Tobin's involvement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyuhknk4Tuw

I really really like this game so far. My only complaint is the rails are magnetic, making them waaaaay easier than it used to be.

Let's get some PSN IDs and X-Box Live Gamertags on here! Who else bought this?

Playstationers

Staleghoti - Clintown
Johnny Chopsocky - Stud_Beefpile
Entriech - Entriech

Xboxers

LuvTheMonkey - LuvTheMonkey

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
Staleghoti on

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    this ain't about a wrecked whaling vessel at all!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    This ain't about Essex at all!

Thank god.

• Options
    Skiers and Snowboarders should probably also use this thread to talk about how their sport is the best cause it is.

Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Yo I redbox'd this on Xbox 360, will be buying it within the next week. My GT is my forum name!

I love this game so much.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    We have a demo of this at work. It is pretty fun, I will admit.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    I'm digging the analog stick jumping/tricking controls, but appreciate that I can go back to my old fashioned button grabs when I'm in a uber mash trick.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Oooo this is in redbox?

hmmmmmmm

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Oooo this is in redbox?

hmmmmmmm

Yeah I really wanna redbox this game

I may do that tonight to hold me over until Tuesday

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    SSX is glorious and everyone should get it immediately.

The Deadly Descents stuff is still in, but it's hard to think of it as grimdark when Run DMC yell TRICKAY whenever you do something great.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SSX is glorious and everyone should get it immediately.

The Deadly Descents stuff is still in, but it's hard to think of it as grimdark when Run DMC yell TRICKAY whenever you do something great.

I find the deadly descents were easier than the lead ups to them.

It was like a reward for making it to the climax of that range (with the exception of the final final one)
    Grudge Match! combination of blind riding and wingsuiting

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    This ain't about Essex at all!

Thank god.

For a moment I thought there was an essex thread on the forums

and then, well, I don't know what I'd do

probably whatever was necessary to stop it

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Staleghoti wrote: »

It was like a reward for making it to the climax of that range (with the exception of the final final one)

Oh, also, the trees Deadly Descent was just odd. Your boarder can survive a 100ft fall onto jagged rock on any other run, but this one particular patch of trees has em strapping on body armor.

Personal favourite so far is the Darkness in Kilimanjaro. I can't beat it, and it's frustrating, but also super fun.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Oh, also, the trees Deadly Descent was just odd. Your boarder can survive a 100ft fall onto jagged rock on any other run, but this one particular patch of trees has em strapping on body armor.

Personal favourite so far is the Darkness in Kilimanjaro. I can't beat it, and it's frustrating, but also super fun.

Wait till you hit White Out in New Zealand, I think the pulse goggles might be bugged. It's quite frustrating, not as fun as Africa

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    I've done 4 of the descents so far. Did the Siberia ice one and the Alaska avalanche one last night.

Avalanche was pretty easy to get through although I can see it being trickier if you're trying to pick up any of the geotag/achievement stuff. I just sort of held down and didn't carve too much and avoided obstacles.

Ice was frustrating until I got the hang of not overcorrecting after a jump and sending myself plummeting into the crevasse. It's also taking a bit to get the hang of rewinding. I kept not rewinding enough and I would have too much momentum to correct myself and do the same thing again.

• Options
    Yeah rewinding is a boner, and not the good kind.

Often times I try and rewind past a point where I started a new grab too late and it'll still do the grab, and I'm like Whaaaat

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Oh man I did not know this was out. I was just playing the PS2 version the other day. Definitely gonna have to pick this up

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    So it appears the trick to making tons of credits is to do the Global events.

Unless you get knocked out of the running alot, but I've had success looking for events with less riders. Tho more riders = more cheddar

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Yeah but it seems like more riders = the more people who are crazy insane and you will never get even close to their score

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    the demo was really good

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    OP is missing one of the coolest features: custom soundtrack REMIXING. That's right, tell SSX to play your custom playlists (you can specify which playlists are used for which race types) and during the run, the game will do the same thing to your music (drop the bass, loop a section, etc) that it does to the on-disc music.

Of course 'Rusty Cage' by Soundgarden went on the racing side, as there should be a mandate that all racing game soundtracks have 'Rusty Cage'. But hitting a long grind and keeping a trick going as Childish Gambino goes "I'm a Hero Hero Hero Hero Hero Hero" and then continues on from there when you leap off for a huge trick is great.

My PSN is Stud_Beefpile if you want a self-esteem boost and a rival whose times aren't too hard to beat.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Artreus wrote:
    Yeah but it seems like more riders = the more people who are crazy insane and you will never get even close to their score

Especially on courses with limited gear.

It's like, 'someone appears to be capable of scoring 14million on level one boards! D:'

But in the end I guess it's all about lines and building long chains with the help of the nose press and railing.

Re: Rails

I've noticed that holding a grind for longer seems to yield more points than switching tricks a whole bunch, which would be okay if the grinds were actually challenging in some way

• Options
    OP is missing one of the coolest features: custom soundtrack REMIXING. That's right, tell SSX to play your custom playlists (you can specify which playlists are used for which race types) and during the run, the game will do the same thing to your music (drop the bass, loop a section, etc) that it does to the on-disc music.

Of course 'Rusty Cage' by Soundgarden went on the racing side, as there should be a mandate that all racing game soundtracks have 'Rusty Cage'. But hitting a long grind and keeping a trick going as Childish Gambino goes "I'm a Hero Hero Hero Hero Hero Hero" and then continues on from there when you leap off for a huge trick is great.

My PSN is Stud_Beefpile if you want a self-esteem boost and a rival whose times aren't too hard to beat.

I must learn how to get music on my ps3

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I'm wishing the ones I have on the PS2 would work. Gonna have to pick this up.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Global Events are sucking me in pretty heavily right now

• Options
    Am I the only one who misses the huge presentation of it all?

Like the giant grandstands full of people and fireworks and shit?

It'd be cool to be in Africa and go whizzing by a stand full of vuvuzelas

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    look man there are like 8 games I want right now I can't go buying every one of them

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    but.... this one

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    this one is in the redbox so it gets rented

maybe, when I have time

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    I'm hoping some sort of total freeride mode is unlockable, like when you beat everything that was everything in the previous games.

• Options
    Hey so this has an 84 on Metacritic, I don't know if that means anything anymore.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I picked this up last friday, and it is incredibly fun. One thing though, it's a good idea to make sure you've got a friends list kitted out with other people playing SSX. You get a constant drip-feed of updates on what your friends are doing (i.e. So-and-so set a silver medal run on this course), and they even create an incentive to go beat your friends scores, marking out people as rivals and offering credit rewards for passing their scores.

It's the most compelling single player competitive multi I've seen since Geometry Wars 2.

Also as it goes without saying, feel free to add me on PSN if you want to compete.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    I played a friends copy of this for a little while, it's a lot of goofy fun.

This was my only real complaint so far. While the game's perfectly happy with you doing batshit insane tricks and wingsuiting it up right in the middle of a course, the environments seem pretty tame in comparison to Tricky.

• Options
    Flay wrote:

This was my only real complaint so far. While the game's perfectly happy with you doing batshit insane tricks and wingsuiting it up right in the middle of a course, the environments seem pretty tame in comparison to Tricky.

Would have been nice to see a giant indoor course in Dubai or something

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

Is there a program that will do this for me?

Because holy shit that sounds pretty cool

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Flay wrote:

Yeah, although I guess there was the...
    lava-tube

...level in Kilimanjaro

Flay on
  • Options
    Flay wrote:
    Flay wrote:

lava-tube

...level in Kilimanjaro

True but I always like that completely synthetic aspect of certain levels in previous games.

Like the Tokyo UberPark or whatever it was called, or that stage in Hawaii which was on a giant iceberg they hauled in from the arctic

• Options
    Flay wrote:
    Flay wrote:

lava-tube

...level in Kilimanjaro

True but I always like that completely synthetic aspect of certain levels in previous games.

Like the Tokyo UberPark or whatever it was called, or that stage in Hawaii which was on a giant iceberg they hauled in from the arctic

No I completely agree, those were my two absolute favourite levels from Tricky.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Is there a program that will do this for me?

Because holy shit that sounds pretty cool

There is a program.

It is called SSX.

Just make a playlist on your 360/PS3, point SSX to it for Race/Trick/Survival Events and make sure that Remix is set to "ON" in the options.

I turned off the RUN-DMC Super Tricky music, because it's cool and all but it's not Public Enemy going "SHUT EM DOWN, SHUT EM SHUT EM DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN"

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Yeah the Super Tricky interlude can sometimes throw me off my rhythm

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Every time somebody says "I wish there were more pinball bumpers and like, fans that throw you up in the air like in the old ones". I want to shout "THAT WAS ONE STAGE YOU IDIOT!"

If anything they need to put more snowed over cities in the game.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg