As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME! DO IT!

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'll get LA Noire eventually, but $15 is still too much for me.

This would be a good time for a LA Noire coupon.

my renting of la noire would confirm this is a good idea, it has an interesting concept but its poorly implemented in so many places for what would appear no particular reason.

edit:
    vmtdB.gif

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ooh, that's tempting for burnout. I do miss my burnout, but more so takedown.

But for 5 bucks, paradise isn't bad either. Especially since I just got my controller in the mail today. Bad timing for my wallet.

edit: I doubt I'll be playing much of it, if any, but is online still up? I know EA loves to take down servers.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    farbekrieg wrote: »

my renting of la noire would confirm this is a good idea, it has an interesting concept but its poorly implemented in so many places for what would appear no particular reason.

I actually rented it through Gamefly when it first came out but didn't get very far. I'm terribly OCD about getting the perfect outcome in games with choices, so I kept cheesing the autosave system and reloading reloading reloading. It wasn't very fun that way, but I couldn't make myself just play it. I want to just play it using a walkthrough, like I do with most adventure games.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Steam thread I need help running Pyschonauts. It says "The game was unable to find a 32bpp display mode supported by your system in which to run. Your video card and monitor must minimally support 640x480x32bpp." I found this thread. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2216679 And someone seemed to have figured it out, but I still don't get it.

anoffday on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Re: kickstarter.

People have no idea what it costs to develop a video game. As a small business owner, I feel like I can relate. People say "they got 3 million dollars! They can fill their conference room with money and just go swimming in it."

But man, it costs a lot of money to run a business. If we assume the game takes 9 months and has a team of 25, that's probably going to break $1.5 million (maybe even $2 million) in salaries, taxes, and benefits alone during that time.

This is to say nothing of other expenses like utilities, software licenses, hardware, rent, etc.

Don't get me wrong, $3mil is a nice budget for a graphic adventure game, but it's far from huge. Psychonauts, by comparison, cost about $15 million to produce.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Steam thread I need help running Pyschonauts. It says "The game was unable to find a 32bpp display mode supported by your system in which to run. Your video card and monitor must minimally support 640x480x32bpp." I found this thread. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2216679 And someone seemed to have figured it out, but I still don't get it.

Source: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/2903/
    In the Psychonauts program folder, there is a file called DisplaySettings.ini. Open it up, and you should see something like this:
    [DisplaySettings]
    ScreenWidth=1440
    ScreenHeight=900
    FullScreen=true
    VSync=true
    FSAA=true
    FSFX=true
    AdvancedShading=true
    Shadows=true
    GammaCorrection=1.000000

You might change the ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight values to something like 800 and 600, respectively, to get back to a friendlier starting resolution.

Sounds like they made the ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight values the same as the native resolution of their monitor and it worked then.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Just curious, is there any other like minded people out there that thing this cash grab on all the bundles is going a bit over board? On one hand, I like having options and what not. The other hand, I was only really buying them as a way to give more to Childs Play. I guess I got mixed emotions on them.

And for something completely different:

Does anyone know of a way to stream gameplay FREE now a days? Caveat is, no capture card and no webcam.

livestream.com has their procaster and I believe xsplit (may need to also grab dxtory) can be used with livestream/twitch.tv to stream PC gameplay live.

Thanks but.

Procaster gives you either 5 or 10 casts before you have to buy it.
    xsplit won't stream a game unless you upgrade from free version
    dxtory looks to be pay as well.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

In the Psychonauts program folder, there is a file called DisplaySettings.ini. Open it up, and you should see something like this:
    [DisplaySettings]
    ScreenWidth=1440
    ScreenHeight=900
    FullScreen=true
    VSync=true
    FSAA=true
    FSFX=true
    AdvancedShading=true
    Shadows=true
    GammaCorrection=1.000000

You might change the ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight values to something like 800 and 600, respectively, to get back to a friendlier starting resolution.

Sounds like they made the ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight values the same as the native resolution of their monitor and it worked then.

I can't find that file. It's not in the main folder under steam apps and all that. And I've looked in various other folders in the main.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Re: kickstarter.

People have no idea what it costs to develop a video game. As a small business owner, I feel like I can relate. People say "they got 3 million dollars! They can fill their conference room with money and just go swimming in it."

But man, it costs a lot of money to run a business. If we assume the game takes 9 months and has a team of 25, that's probably going to break $1.5 million (maybe even $2 million) in salaries, taxes, and benefits alone during that time.

This is to say nothing of other expenses like utilities, software licenses, hardware, rent, etc.

Don't get me wrong, $3mil is a nice budget for a graphic adventure game, but it's far from huge. Psychonauts, by comparison, cost about $15 million to produce.

Yeah but when you look at their quoted budget only needing half a million then 3 million is a hell of a lot, all the employee costs etc would have been calculated within that original budget

Anything else is gold plated swimming pool gravy

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Oh snap, Orcs Must Die is midweek madness too. I didn't even see it before.

I've been waiting for this one. Boughtttttt. :D

3.74 or the collection for 5.

anoffday on
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    What is Stronghold Kingdoms? I know people in this thread have been meh on Stronghold 3, and I dunno how that system would even work in an MMO format.

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options

[DisplaySettings]
    ScreenWidth=1440
    ScreenHeight=900
    FullScreen=true
    VSync=true
    FSAA=true
    FSFX=true
    AdvancedShading=true
    Shadows=true
    GammaCorrection=1.000000

I can't find that file. It's not in the main folder under steam apps and all that. And I've looked in various other folders in the main.

Open up notepad and create the file yourself, then save it as DisplaySettings.ini instead of new text document.txt.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PodunkPodunk Registered User regular

I'd go with the collection. If you like the game, you're going to want more levels and that's what this gives you. Plus some new weapons and traps.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    madnessnewbmadnessnewb Registered User regular

I had it and waited for a LA Noire sale the whole time :( Now it's too late....

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Podunk wrote: »

I'd go with the collection. If you like the game, you're going to want more levels and that's what this gives you. Plus some new weapons and traps.

Yeah, that's what I went with. I loved the demo, but knew it'd get a sale sooner or later. Glad I waited.

[DisplaySettings]
    ScreenWidth=1440
    ScreenHeight=900
    FullScreen=true
    VSync=true
    FSAA=true
    FSFX=true
    AdvancedShading=true
    Shadows=true
    GammaCorrection=1.000000

Open up notepad and create the file yourself, then save it as DisplaySettings.ini instead of new text document.txt.

Oh ok. Thanks!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

I had it and waited for a LA Noire sale the whole time :( Now it's too late....

i feel your pain. I had a saints row 3 coupon the entire time... then saints row 3 was on sale as soon as the coupons ticked over to expired.

• Options
    Is Orcs Must Die good? Should I pick up the $5 pack with the two extra DLC?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    signature.png

KILL ORCS DIES
    signature.png

DRIVE FAST

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

It's a damn fine game but I think Dungeon Defenders is better.

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    LA Noire doesn't allow custom resolutions. :(

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Really Big Sky is growing on me.

Really Big Sky is great.

Certain things bother me about it but I can't put it down. In fact, Really Big Sky is more Rougelike-Shump than The Binding of Issac is made out to be. It's that randomness, combined with not knowing what's going on sometimes, that gets me killed. I feel like there's no means to play for score.

* Not knowing what I can and cannot Vortex
    * Today was the first time I played and the game changed to a Tempest perspective while I flew through a wormhole until I couldn't keep up. This gave me a new high score today. Should I hope for this a month from now, because this is the first time I've seen it in a month.
    * Not knowing what the screen turning two-tone and the music changing means.
    * Being blinded by all the particle effects
    * I see a Start to Finish meter at the top. I speculate I should try to make it to the finish.

But make no mistake, this is a good fucking shump, and unlike anything I've ever played. I put it right up there with Jamestown. And I've only been playing on Classic so far. In Arcade mode, I have to earn upgrades one by one, and might be more structured.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Yeah, I just watched the trailer and it looks like Dungeon Defenders. On the fence about it, maybe try the demo after work today.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Yeah, I just watched the trailer and it looks like Dungeon Defenders. On the fence about it, maybe try the demo after work today.

Orcs must Die is a better single player game then DD tho.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I think it controls tighter than dd, and a he'll of a lot better than sanctum. Really the main differenceis that orcs is a single player game whereas dd is a mp loot grinder

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OMD is great. Take DD, remove multiplayer, speed it up, and put it in the body of a capable 3rd person shooter and you have the general idea. Also, great, hilarious writing.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Orcs must Die is a better single player game then DD tho.

It's also much faster-paced. They're different enough to warrant having both.

To anyone considering it, try out the Orcs Must Die demo. I think it does a good job of showing how the game works.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I'm just going to stop making the stance of "not giving steam anymore of my money" every week. Cause that Burnout package for $5 is too good to pass up (plus I have no racing games on the PC).

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    And now we have confirmation of Ys games coming to Steam:

[Tuesday Triumph] XSEED is bringing Ys:The Oath in Felghana & Ys Origin to STEAM! Ys:OiF will be out 3/19 @ $14.99! Ys O (TBD)! Rejoice! :D

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    OMD is great. Take DD, remove multiplayer, speed it up, and put it in the body of a capable 3rd person shooter and you have the general idea. Also, great, hilarious writing.

Not to mention that when you beat a level the protagonist does a killer dance. :D

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Is it weird that "does it anagram well?" has become a criteria I look for in potential gifting games?

Because "Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box" is just fantastic fodder for that kind of silliness.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Is it weird that "does it anagram well?" has become a criteria I look for in potential gifting games?

Because "Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box" is just fantastic fodder for that kind of silliness.

"'I am the sexed-up, brutal obturation"

Best I got.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Best I got answer ever.

See, now I actually want to play this game. And call it that whenever possible.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Here's a nice Really Big Sky session. His ship is leveled up pretty high, and he encounters a yellow laser thing I've never seen before.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQJNUSlNeZY&feature=watch_response

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    That's beautiful.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Anyone thinking about getting LA: Noire, here's my thoughts.
    The voice acting, facial animation, and those newspaper stories blew my balls off. I'm certain LA: Noire has the best voice acting in any game ever. Those Newspaper clips were sometimes better than full length hollywood movies.
    However, the gameplay is on the repetitive side. Crime scenes are pretty easy to figure out, once you notice the musical cues. Shooting segments are not that great, though this game wasn't made for them. The city of LA isn't really that impressive. It can be fun, especially with a friend watching, both of you trying to figure out how to respond when interrogating someone. Though usually, I found that mid game I could find out a person was lying because he'd shift his eyes, and I was 95% right most times. Truth or doubt were a little harder. That's my short review.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Apparently someone messed up and LA Noire Complete is $2.50 in Ukrainian Steam Store : D
    They're gonna have a field day over there just buying them in bulk to sell/trade...

madnessnewb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Apparently someone messed up and LA Noire Complete is $2.50 in Ukrainian Steam Store : D
    They're gonna have a field day over there just buying them in bulk to sell/trade...

So is that like, €1 in euros or something?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Taramoor wrote: »

Best I got.

better than me

A retardation text bumble, uh pious

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Kadoken wrote: »

So is that like, €1 in euros or something?

€1.90

madnessnewb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    I've always heard good things about the Burnout games, but have yet to play one. Is Burnout Paradise a good place to start?

I've been around this thread long enough to feel like everyone's going to tell me yes.

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
This discussion has been closed.