As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Email Screening Software

BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So long story short, my dad is developing a slight case of dementia. I've come to terms with it, but I've found out he's been sending out emails that he shouldn't be. I don't want to take away his internet or email because he's normal and fine like 90% of the time, but there are times when he loses it and writes emails that shouldn't be sent out.

He uses Yahoo mail. Is there any software or setting that will prevent an email from being sent until I or my sisters read it? I have access to his account, but I didn't know if there was a way to basically screen his emails before he sent them.

cdmAF00.png
Coran Attack!
Bedigunz on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Is that self diagnosed? He should see a doctor.

And no, there isn't.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    He was a doctor himself so it's kind of self diagnosed (also it's confirmed by his brother in law who is also a doctor).

But there is no parenting software for overprotective parents where you screen emails or anything?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Not that I've ever seen, I mean you could probably slap one together for internal emails with your own email server but being web based makes it impossible. Short of blocking the web completely ( which you should do if someone has dementia ).

He should probably see a real physician though, maybe it's manageable for the time being.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    It's manageable. He's taking meds, seeing my uncle regularly, and my mom keeps an eye on him at all times throughout the day, seeing as their both retired.

It's just when he's on the computer he sometimes writes shit he shouldn't be. I put download blockers on his computer so he basically can't download anything, but I need to go a step further somehow. Think I could set up an email client on his computer, run his email through it, then impose my blocker on it so I'll get notified before he sends something out?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    You could.

What happens when he goes to ymail's site, though?

• Options
    It automatically logs in for him. We took that off for awhile but it didn't help.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    It automatically logs in for him. We took that off for awhile but it didn't help.

What about changing the password and having your mom be the "gatekeeper"? She logs in for him when he wants to use his email.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    He could create a new one. And thus we come full circle?

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    bowen wrote: »

Or install nanny software that password protects every email hosting website you can think of. Mom lets him into his email.

But if he did make a new email account, would he remember email addresses to send to? I don't know many email addresses by heart.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

Or install nanny software that password protects every email hosting website you can think of. Mom lets him into his email.

But if he did make a new email account, would he remember email addresses to send to? I don't know many email addresses by heart.

Does the nanny software use content filtering or DNS filtering?

Though at that point we're getting away from the technical abilities of one person... though adding a socks proxy to IE/chrome/firefox is not difficult. Knowing of them is though.

Hell I could point my DNS to 8.8.8.8 and be done with it.

Need freaking group policies to lock down someone's computer like that!