Options

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Holy cow, DC actually hired an indie guy, The Strange Talent of Luther's Strode's Justin Jordan. I'm not a fan of Jesus Merino's art at all, but Jordan's name will get me to pick up Team 7.

I'll probably grab the first issue of Amethyst, too.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There are a lot of first issue ones I will be picking up out of curiousity but part is me is afraid some of the comics I do like are on the cutting block

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Apparently no Liefield books are getting cancelled. In fact, DC Presents is going to be Hawk & Dove #0 for September.

Clearly a golden age is upon us once again.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I can ignore everything for a new Amethyst series.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Is this the first time a publisher is actually doing a second zero issue? Number ones and all sure, we had those tons of times before but don't think I ever heard of a company doing a new zero issue when they had them before.

In this case that would be the zero hour zero issues.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Apparently no Liefield books are getting cancelled. In fact, DC Presents is going to be Hawk & Dove #0 for September.

DCU Presents is Going to be 40 pages with 4 10 page stories (OMAC, Hawk and Dove, some dude from BlackHawks and Mister Terrific

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

As I understand it, DC Presents #0 is going to be four 10-page origin stories for cancelled books: H&D, OMAC, Mr Terrific, and Mother Machine from Blackhawks.

phantomstranger_02.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    That Phantom Stranger cover is sweet though ... the old school DC logo and 12 cents in the corner are awesome.

Selfish pleasure, but I'm glad at least one of the Liefeld books isn't being cut. As strange as it is to say, the first issue of Hawkman under his tenure was 100% better than any of the previous eight issues. Maybe because he's only the co-plotter and doing the covers.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    well, I need to get the DC Presents #0 if it's the same creative team for OMAC

• Options
    Snyder is co-writing Talon.... might be good, even if it is just nuAzrael

• Options
    Bob_LoblawBob_Loblaw Registered User regular
    According to his Twitter, Snyder is only co-plotting and not writing at all.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Woah woah woah

An Amethyst book?

DC has actually made a good decision!

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    If Amethyst is a success, maybe DC or Marvel can do a collected edition of Christy's Sisterhood of Steel series.

8569461_1.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Zyrxil wrote: »
    The shittiest part about Night of the Owls is that it got mentioned in Stormwatch. Up to now the Batman series have been in their own Vertigo like bubble, 99% free of the reboot. Now the chronologies are all messed up since Stormwatch is happening at the same time as Justice League, which has a 'young' Batman and Superman, with no Robins or partners. Hell Stormwatch even goes back to the Batman as urban myth thing, when in the Batman proper series, City Hall has an official not-so-friendly relationship with Batman.

Also, implying the Waynes were murdered by Talons instead of random alley mugger. That was pretty bad.
    This isn't true at all

Justice League was 5 years in the past for the first arc, but is set in the present-day DCU now. Hence why they were fighting Talons and the cult from JLD.

The timeline isn't messed up at all

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    But the Batman in 'Present Day' DCU in JLA is obviously not the Batman in the Batman books. There's mismatch of details like no Bat-family mentioned, Batman being nationally/globally famous and loved as part of the JLA, and the fact that the rest of the JLA don't see him as the super-tactician/detective. That to me marks JLA-Batman as younger/earlier in his career.

Zyrxil on
  • Options
    But the Batman in 'Present Day' DCU in JLA is obviously not the Batman in the Batman books. There's mismatch of details like no Bat-family mentioned, Batman being nationally/globally famous and loved as part of the JLA, and the fact that the rest of the JLA don't see him as the super-tactician/detective. That to me marks JLA-Batman as younger/earlier in his career.
    Wait what

just because Batman doesn't talk about Batman Inc. or Robin while he is on the JL doesn't mean he is a totally different person. Also he does mention the Bat-Family in JL...8? He asks the League to take out a plane full of Talons during the Night of Owls because the rest of the Bat-Family is too busy dealing with their own Talons.

him being with the Justice League means he is doing heavy-duty superhero business, not swapping stories. That's how it has been presented in Justice League and more recently in Action Comics.

and he is younger/earlier in his career, just not like OH MAN I JUST BECAME BATMAN. Bats was around for a few years before Superman showed up, so he's been running around being Batman for a little less than a decade, probably.

You're jumping to some crazy conclusions

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I'll pick up the first couple issues of team seven, phantom stranger, and sword of sorcery. But... a talon series? I don't see it.

Speaking of, if JLI is getting cancelled, where is O.M.A.C going? I love that guy.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

He's not globally loved and famous. Hell, the UN in JLI threw a fit at the mention of his name, and the same is suggested to Steve Trevor in JLA itself. The JLA is far from happy time love love.

Also, there's no suggestion of the other members not thinking of him as a detective. You're reading way too much into what Johns hasn't even touched on yet.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    "It was selling okay, but we had greater expectations for that line. There's a lot of those characters that I feel we've told a lot of stories with, so at this particular moment we'll give the title a rest, and maybe give some of those characters a rest."

When asked whether Justice League International will be replaced by another ongoing title when it draws to a close with issue #12, the executive strongly hinted that it will.

"My goal is always to make sure we feel new, and make sure that we have 52 titles. The goal for us right now is to constantly replenish and refresh the line so it always feels fresh and new," he added.

Dan Didio, on Justice League International's cancellation.

"These characters need a rest. Here's another Batman spinoff."

Strange to cancel a book that's still selling pretty well (30k+), when so many of their mid-level titles have been crashing and burning.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    "It was selling okay, but we had greater expectations for that line. There's a lot of those characters that I feel we've told a lot of stories with, so at this particular moment we'll give the title a rest, and maybe give some of those characters a rest."

When asked whether Justice League International will be replaced by another ongoing title when it draws to a close with issue #12, the executive strongly hinted that it will.

"My goal is always to make sure we feel new, and make sure that we have 52 titles. The goal for us right now is to constantly replenish and refresh the line so it always feels fresh and new," he added.

Dan Didio, on Justice League International's cancellation.

"These characters need a rest. Here's another Batman spinoff."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAK0lXgBCdA

• Options
    While we're talking about upcoming DC stuff, I've had something squirming around in the back of my head that I keep meaning to bring up and I'd forgotten. (Credit to the guys over in SA's comics forum, who brought this to my attention.)

No one, and I mean none of us, should be picking up National Comics: Looker. The artist is Mike Miller, who went on a homophobic screed back in the early 2000s on DC's forums and got blacklisted for it; he's back now for some reason.

It's a shame, since it was a really cool concept and I was excited for it, but I will be voting with my money and not picking it up.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Mike Miller's masterpiece:

yZKbI.jpg

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    HAHAHAHA JESUS CHRIST

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    That'd be really funny if it was satire.

And Looker does sound like a good concept, but I wouldn't expect a homophobe to handle a comic about the fashion industry very well.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    oh look

time to shoot myself in the head

• Options
    The only one that drew my interest was Kid Eternity, anyway so no loss

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Thanks Munch.

• Options
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

I think virtually all political cartoons suck, even the "good" ones, at this point in my life (I used to read a bunch). So I agree to the extent that this succumbs to so many failings like poor or no context, no real thesis, and even the vaguest one that can be reached at has a tenuous connection at best to the actions of the characters.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Wow. Those are just terrible. Terrible.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012

I think virtually all political cartoons suck, even the "good" ones
    political-cartoon.gif

Tairu on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    The artist is Mike Miller, who went on a homophobic screed back in the early 2000s on DC's forums and got blacklisted for it; he's back now for some reason.

I'd bet money it's Bob Harras' fault.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Munch wrote: »
    Mike Miller's masterpiece:

yZKbI.jpg

These are awesome - totally going up in my office.

Hensler on
  • Options
    I'm gonna get Talon and Team Seven from Wave 3 for sure. Luther Strode was a fantastic mini and Talon is Snyder and his protege so it will likely be great.

I'll give Phantom Stranger an issue because I am intrigued about him getting a series and OMAC was good enough that Didio's writing gets one issue to wow me.

Sword of Sorcery(was Swords and Sorcery trademarked because man that sounds better) is eeehh. I am not an Amethyst fan, but the back-up sounds neat. It is apparently an anthology series so I am totally open to buying an arc with a character or creative team I am interested in.

Overall, much better than Wave 2, of which Batman Inc was really the only good thing.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blank I have to disagree

you owe it to yourself to pick up Dial H it is crazy and creepy and totally amazing

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    I really

really

didn't like Dial H

I mean I do not think it is a terrible book, I get why people would love it. It just contains nothing that I personally like or want to pay money for every month.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    (was Swords and Sorcery trademarked because man that sounds better)

16166.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    woah, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. Back when comic versions of books were big, eh?

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Has Bedard discussed what he's doing with Beowulf?

Because my immediate thought was, "Why Beowulf?"

I know Warlord's flopped the last few times it was revived, but I think that story's ripe for a modern revival. Or Sword of the Atom. That's basically Fun-Size Avatar, set in the DCU.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I really

really

didn't like Dial H

I mean I do not think it is a terrible book, I get why people would love it. It just contains nothing that I personally like or want to pay money for every month.

Emo Superman. Emo. Superman. It is wonderful.

huntresssig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.