As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect 3 on PC or PS3?

oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My brother has it on PS3, but I played the other two on my PC.

So essentially it comes down to: Playing multiplayer with someone I actually know (and keeping my brother happy) vs. Being able to continue with the same Shepard (I'm a sucker for continuity).

So far I've been unable to decide, and have been missing out on actually playing the game. Anyone have any insights that might help me go one way or the other? Is multiplayer that awesome (I've asked my brother but he's clearly biased)?

oldsak on

Posts

  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    If I were you I wouldn't be able to give up my Shepard. Carrying the decisions that you made in the first two games through to the end is one of the most compelling parts of the game.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Peen wrote: »
    If I were you I wouldn't be able to give up my Shepard. Carrying the decisions that you made in the first two games through to the end is one of the most compelling parts of the game.

    Yeah, this this and more this. There are utilities to transfer saves between 360 and PC but I haven't seen any for PS3. I'd stick to your Shepard and play PC.

  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I agree with Peen. Importing your save with the decisions you made in both 1 and 2 has HUGE repercussions in ME3. And for the record, I hate, hate, hate the 'default' choices!

  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    Yeah, you're echoing my gut feeling on this. Maybe I'll have get it secretly and tell him I don't plan on playing it (cause that's totally believable).

  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Also, keep in mind that the PS3 is six years old; if you have a nice gaming computer, the game is gonna look way better on PC. Like, seeing my friend playing ME1 on PC is what convinced me to switch to PC in spite of having my Shepard on 360.

    Thanatos on
  • NaeblissNaebliss Registered User regular
    There are mass effect save editors and save databases on the internets. So you could try to create or find a saved with the decisions that you want. I had to use em to extract my face code when it gave me the unable to import face bug.

    This couch is the comfiest!
    Street Fighter 4 (pc): sdurien
    Steam: Jon http://steamcommunity.com//profiles/76561197970923897/home
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Also, keep in mind that the PS3 is six years old; if you have a nice gaming computer, the game is gonna look way better on PC. Like, seeing my friend playing ME1 on PC is what convinced me to switch to PC in spite of having my Shepard on 360.

    Yeah my Shepard was on the 360... after playing the demo on both 360 and PC, I found a tool to convert from 360 to PC and went from there =D delicious PC graphics (and mouse + k for fast aim).

  • T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    Naebliss wrote: »
    There are mass effect save editors and save databases on the internets. So you could try to create or find a saved with the decisions that you want. I had to use em to extract my face code when it gave me the unable to import face bug.
    Unfortunately not for PS3 as far as I can tell. There seems to be no way that PS3 users can see some of the possible choices from ME1 since all we have is the ME2 Genesis comic prologue thing.

    Went PS3 so I could sit back with my controller, but whenever ME3 gets cheap I'll probably buy on PC so I can play through with my "canon" Shepard.

  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Inevitably when it comes to Mass Effect there is a bunch of fun little tweaks you can do to the game to add extra replayability - modding Mass Effect 2 to give me a companion at the start of the game for some extra unreleased dialogue was very fun. Something you can't do on PS3.

  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the PS3 apparently encrypts it's save files in a way that makes it impossible to edit in PC shepards

    I would probably stick with your saved shepards. ME3 has a lot of callbacks to the previous games that it would suck to miss out on

    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • AtrensisAtrensis Registered User regular
    I'd recommend PC, because I'm a PC gamer. Also, I edited my game so that objects you can interact with would be shown from far away instead of you having to shove your nose into them. Removes part of the chore aspect I hate in games, helped me enjoy it.
    ***I hate the ending, as do many people in the interwebs. But the game is really good, so buy it already. Just have a MiB memory wiper at hand.

  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    oldsak wrote:
    My brother has it on PS3, but I played the other two on my PC.

    So essentially it comes down to: Playing multiplayer with someone I actually know (and keeping my brother happy) vs. Being able to continue with the same Shepard (I'm a sucker for continuity).

    So far I've been unable to decide, and have been missing out on actually playing the game. Anyone have any insights that might help me go one way or the other? Is multiplayer that awesome (I've asked my brother but he's clearly biased)?

    Having played a fair amount into it, I can say that so many things matter from the first two games, including things I'd forgotten about until they came up again.

    I don't think I could go with the option that meant I couldn't keep my Shepard.

Sign In or Register to comment.