As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Changing name when getting married

KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I will be getting married in August this year and I am a bit confused on some things regarding legally changing my name afterwards. While I don't want to change my last name, I do want to change my middle name. I'd like to change my middle name to his last name. However, I am not sure if there's anything special I would have to do for this outside of what you'd normally do if you were changing your last name from a marriage.

I'm in Indiana and this information is what I've been able to find so far. However, that does only mention what to do in regards to changing your last name.

So here's really what I want to know:
I. Where will I need to declare what I want my new name to be? Is this something you do on the marriage license or is it elsewhere? I know I will have to get a new social security card and all that to make it legal, I just don't know if there's something else I will have to do after getting married before filling out forms for the social security card.
II. Is there anything I would have to do differently to change my middle name vs. what someone would have to do if they were just changing their last name?

I'd appreciate anyone who can help steer me in the right direction on this.

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
Kirbith on

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Note: This is Michigan information.

Your new name is declared on your marriage license - you have to sign your full name as it will be from now on, and it basically counts as a legal name change (to the point that if you spell it wrong and don't catch it before it's filed it might be easier to get another name change than get it fixed, which my sister in law is going through right now). There's no other process than that - a copy of the marriage license is all you need to take to the social security office to prove your new name (Note: reading your link, it sounds like in your state both copies are different and only one is official. In Michigan both copies are official once executed. You'll need a certified copy of the official certificate).

As for middle names, that might be something you should talk to somebody at your county clerk's office about, because it isn't the same everywhere. Here, the wife can change her middle and last name with the marriage certificate, but I'm not sure it's the same everywhere. I have heard about marriage certificate name changes being rejected for various reasons - for example Saginaw County doesn't let the husband change his last name.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    My understanding of marriage and name changes is that it's the easiest way to change or update your name, period. It is also my understanding that although the traditional way is for the woman to change her last name to match her husband's, the system is well-suited to handle any name change, whether it's first, middle, or last.

My understanding is that changing your middle name is as easy as changing your last when you get married, and changing your name outside of the act of marriage is relatively difficult and time consuming. Check with your local/state laws, but if you want to do this, plan to do it when you get married, not afterward.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    EggyToast wrote: »
    My understanding of marriage and name changes is that it's the easiest way to change or update your name, period. It is also my understanding that although the traditional way is for the woman to change her last name to match her husband's, the system is well-suited to handle any name change, whether it's first, middle, or last.

My understanding is that changing your middle name is as easy as changing your last when you get married, and changing your name outside of the act of marriage is relatively difficult and time consuming. Check with your local/state laws, but if you want to do this, plan to do it when you get married, not afterward.

At least in the US, this is true for the ladies. My wife had a lot more trouble convincing the county registrar not (professional reasons) to change her name than to do so, and when she tried to get it changed later (along with myself to a hybrid name of our two families once those reasons were no longed needed) it was a huge pain to do and we have put it off several times today.

Usually, it's a simple matter of filling out one line of the paperwork involved in getting he name change (at least in my state), middle name included, with no additional fees beyond the marriage license. Try to do it later and It will cost you $100+ per person.

Enc on
  • Options
    So then it seems like I should be good to go with changing my middle name instead of last name, as long as I do it when we get married? Awesome, thanks for the input everyone.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Kirbith wrote: »
    So then it seems like I should be good to go with changing my middle name instead of last name, as long as I do it when we get married? Awesome, thanks for the input everyone.

Actually it's probably not that easy. Some states let you change your name on the marriage license, some don't. More importantly though, a lot of states will only accept certain name changes for a marriage. Generally that's changing the last name from yours to his, or your last name and your middle name, but unfortunately probably not just the middle name. If you have to change your name outside the marriage license it's usually a random form that costs $100-$200 to file, and you have to wait in court to file it.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    In NZ (and I think the UK) a woman doesn't legally change her name when she takes her husband's name after marriage, instead it is a convention that it is now her name. She still has her original birth name too, if she cares to use it.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Actually it's probably not that easy. Some states let you change your name on the marriage license, some don't. More importantly though, a lot of states will only accept certain name changes for a marriage. Generally that's changing the last name from yours to his, or your last name and your middle name, but unfortunately probably not just the middle name. If you have to change your name outside the marriage license it's usually a random form that costs $100-$200 to file, and you have to wait in court to file it.

Any idea then of how to find out what name changes my state allows on the marriage license then? I have been able to find out very little online, so would I maybe be better off calling the local government office that handles marriage licenses?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    In NZ (and I think the UK) a woman doesn't legally change her name when she takes her husband's name after marriage, instead it is a convention that it is now her name. She still has her original birth name too, if she cares to use it.

I thought this was the case in the US too. Basically you can use either name, but you may be liable for fraud if you abuse it. Now if you want to legally change your name to something else (hyphenated or otherwise) outside of the marriage license, that's another story.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Any idea then of how to find out what name changes my state allows on the marriage license then? I have been able to find out very little online, so would I maybe be better off calling the local government office that handles marriage licenses?

Go to your state Clerk of Court's office website and call their marriage license office. Should give you a definitive answer for your area in 10 minutes.

Google Search {Your State} Clerk of Court and go to the .gov website offered.

• Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »

I thought this was the case in the US too. Basically you can use either name, but you may be liable for fraud if you abuse it. Now if you want to legally change your name to something else (hyphenated or otherwise) outside of the marriage license, that's another story.
    Nope, in the US it's a full legal name change, and you're no longer able to use your previous name for anything official.

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    So I called the local government office here that handles marriage licenses. They told me that in our state you keep your name as it is before you get married on the marriage license and then that you just go to the social security office and that you can only do the name changes they allow upon marriage, which the woman I talked to thought was only last name. So I called up social security and the woman I spoke to there told me they only do name changes based upon whatever was changed on the marriage documents. So yea, I am a bit confused after all that.

• Options
    So I called the local government office here that handles marriage licenses. They told me that in our state you keep your name as it is before you get married on the marriage license and then that you just go to the social security office and that you can only do the name changes they allow upon marriage, which the woman I talked to thought was only last name. So I called up social security and the woman I spoke to there told me they only do name changes based upon whatever was changed on the marriage documents. So yea, I am a bit confused after all that.

Call back the first office and ask to speak with someone who can answer 100% what the marriage documents allow. If the documents allow changing the middle name, as Florida's does (for example), then you are good. If not, you may have to pay the usual name change fees.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Enc wrote: »
    EggyToast wrote: »

At least in the US, this is true for the ladies. My wife had a lot more trouble convincing the county registrar not (professional reasons) to change her name than to do so, and when she tried to get it changed later (along with myself to a hybrid name of our two families once those reasons were no longed needed) it was a huge pain to do and we have put it off several times today.

Usually, it's a simple matter of filling out one line of the paperwork involved in getting he name change (at least in my state), middle name included, with no additional fees beyond the marriage license. Try to do it later and It will cost you $100+ per person.

This was my experience. I did not change my name at all, but when we went to get our marriage license the lady at the counter handed me a name change form to fill out. I said I wouldn't need it because I'm not changing my name, and she kept bringing it up anyway. Finally she just handed it to me with the other papers in case I changed my mind.

It's been nearly three and a half years since we got married and I still have not changed my mind, but my mother-in-law still writes my husband's last name on all correspondence with me, including things like checks she gives me on my birthday. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful and it's really sweet of her to think of me at all, but every single time I have to explain to her that this is not the name on my bank account and they won't accept it. Then I get the "oh, so sorry dear, let me rewrite that for you, I keep forgetting you haven't done this yet."

The hassle in not changing your last name is not always limited to the legal. :S

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Mother-in-laws are a hassle unto themselves, though, Ceres.

And, definitely what Enc said. Somebody there has to know for sure what the document can and can't do - it's possible the person at the desk doesn't, but somebody in the loop has to so that the papers get processed correctly. It might take a few calls and badgering, but it is kind of important to know for sure.

Hevach on
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    One thing to keep in mind with a name change, if you are going on an international honeymoon straight after your wedding it may be easier to book your holiday under your maiden name (which is what your passport will say) and change your passport when you get back.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    Here in BC it was really easy. when I got the marrige certificate in the mail I just went to all the places I wanted to change my name (Provincial/federal offices, bank and a few bills my job) showed them the certificate usually filled out some name change form or they just copied it and that was it. when I applied for my passport a few years later I just had to send the marriage certificate in as well to support the name I wanted on the passport.