As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Non-standard Tablet question

SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zubRegistered User regular
Is there such a thing as an (preferably Android) tablet with a PCMCIA slot that I can plug in a wireless network card in? Ideally with no wireless built in otherwise. I prefer Android because then I wouldn't need to learn a new programming language and convert thousands of lines of existing code, but ultimately the PCMCIA wireless ability takes precedence.

Google hasn't been exactly helpful, I imagine it's not exactly a common thing (if it even exists).

steam_sig.png
Smrtnik on

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    Any reason why?

My first bet is possibly one of those older converting laptops - I know HP used to do a pretty good one. It'd be running XP / Win7, but would have a PCMCIA slot.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Unfortunately my boss specifically wants a tablet ("tablets are sexy and what the kids like"). And reason for restrictions is custom encryption.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Finding a decent tablet with pcmcia is going to be real hard. it's just not a very popular thing to include.

did some quick googling and found this thing: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM5974106308P?prdNo=3 no clue how bad it is, uses a really slow via cpu, and can't figure out who even makes it. the description lists pcmcia, but if it actually has it would be a gamble.

but the form factor for tablets is getting so thin that they just can't include pcmcia anymore, a few of the "converter" type laptops made for business have them.
    Toshiba Portege's , Lenovo X series , Fujitsu LifeBook's would be a place to start looking at least.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Hmmm, guess I can present it as an option and see what he says.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Custom encryption? Was WPA2 not secure enough? o_O

Another thing you might check is doing it in software, maybe? If there's an Android network driver that supports this which you can install on a rooted device or something.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    Custom encryption? Was WPA2 not secure enough? o_O

Maybe...

:P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Your boss is being kinda a tosser. I'm trying to figure out why he'd need a wireless PCMCIA card slot and all I can think of is he's got an old cellular aircard he doesn't want to replace. Asking for PCMCIA on a modern tablet is like asking for PS/2 or serial ports: they are unlikely to be available since this is a commoditized product and they've been replaced with much more flexible protocols, PCMCIA was replaced by expresscard some time ago (my 5 year old laptop has expresscard but no PCMCIA), and many tablets have no connectivity other than charge, dock, SD, HDMI and USB.

I think you and your boss may be better served figuring out what PCMCIA functionality he needs and how to replace it with an SD/USB implementation, because tablets are "sexy and what the kids like" but compromised, niche, cheap hardware are not.

Djeet on
  • Options
    Not exactly, but it's not something I can really comment on in a public forum. Thanks for the suggestions, especially the convertible laptops. I wrote up a paper with all the options, and he can figure it out from there what we will end up doing.

steam_sig.png