As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    Did anyone else get an extra pair of dota2 invites and have them disappear?

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    I really hope the fun names make it into dota 2 in some form.

Haven't they already in a very limited sense? I know sometimes when I pick Lone Druid, he says, "silly bear." Not quite the same, but it's something!

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Ursa sometimes makes mention of Fuzzy Wuzzy.

• Options
    FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    can someone explain why pugna would cast decryptify on a teammate or themselves?

it seems that the target can not attack and takes extra damage, so whats the point

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    can someone explain why pugna would cast decryptify on a teammate or themselves?

it seems that the target can not attack and takes extra damage, so whats the point

Because they can't be physically attacked.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The target cannot be attacked or attack and takes additional damage from spells.

It means that if Ursa runs out of the jungle and starts sticking his dick in your bro Lich's ear, you can decrepify Lich and save him. It can really ruin someones gank to suddenly make their target immune to auto attacks and have them just tp out early game. While it's true you could just use it on the ganker instead of the gankee sometimes, the BKB or other magic immunity makes this impossible.

The next time you pick a squishy, buy a Ghost Scepter mid-late game and watch yourself live 4 seconds longer in teamfights (or maybe even surviving!) I like getting it on Zeus.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    I heard Merlini might be getting back into dota 2.

All you Zeus fanboys better get ready for the best Zeus player of all times!

(He probably won't play much Zeus.)

why not?
    Call me back when Dendi gets a hero named after him.

Or did he already? I don't think so.

what hero is named after merlini?

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    There is a 1 in 8 chance that Zeus will spawn with the name Merlini in wc3 dota. And a about the same chance the Shadow Fiend will spawn with the name YaphetS.

But with the new blink dagger and smoke of deceit Zeus ain't what he used to be. But maybe he'll play him in some scrims or something, that would be cool.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There is a 1 in 8 chance that Zeus will spawn with the name Merlini in wc3 dota. And a about the same chance the Shadow Fiend will spawn with the name YaphetS.

And Venge can spawn as 820!

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Mmmm phantom lancer, do want. I'm really taking a liking to Leshrac right now though. The input delay plus the stun delay makes it atrociously difficult to time correctly though.

• Options
    Some stuns you are not meant to land naked.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    I played my first Chen game last night. It was a lot of fun, and a lot of clicking. I still need practice microing all those units, but saving someone from certain death is always fun.

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    what's the cool way to build silencer

i went orb and last word first

for some reason? i don't know

is curse good enough for early game? i had a fine late game once i got my force staff (quickly snowballed from there to mek), but until then i was basically a walking ult

which i know silencer is at times, just wondering if i should have grabbed curse early

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Curse is very good early game, and very bad late game.

• Options
    SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    it depends on who you're laning against, really. for instance, if you're up against a batrider for some reason he will just laugh in your face as you try to curse him and then he'll probably beat you up and take your lunch money and hit on some girls. you'll have to use your best judgement from game to game!

a4i9N.png
  • Options
    speaking of best judgement

man, three people went mid in my game. and they died a lot. but i was doing so good as venomancer that i almost forced them to lose by myself! but i couldn't carry hard enough

plus antimage. bleh

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    sometimes i hear people call last hitting CSing? why is this?

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    In dota if you typed -cs it would show you your 'creep stats'
    Last hits and denies.

• Options
    sometimes i hear people call last hitting CSing? why is this?

Stands for creep score.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    it feels too good being allowed to pull a lane with impunity! wee easy games with lich

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular

But with the new blink dagger and smoke of deceit Zeus ain't what he used to be. But maybe he'll play him in some scrims or something, that would be cool.

thats neat I did not know that

• Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

So, what was Zeuz like before?

hadoken on
  • Options
    A really good solo with ridiculous burst damage and a reliable ministun who could easily farm up the best escape mechanism in the game.

Now he is a hero who needs solo, has mediocre pushing power, is slow and fat, gets ganked for free, and will always be squishy.

stream
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Got the urge to use eye of skaldi, so I picked Alchemist for super farm:
    BD9F978E44047A1CE78C62B5128B20DA64799228

I take back every negative thing I said about Alchy. But I won't get Skaldi when I play him next time.

(and the reason I'm so high level is because a decent amount of my kills were gotten solo, I even got a double kill solo)

Hoz on
  • Options
    goblin's greed is the best skill in this game

hands down

• Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    Abysmal series of games today. None recoverable. All prime examples of why surrender needs to be in.

Also, fuck creep pulling in bot and top lanes. You don't have a ward in your enemy's camp? You just lost that lane.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Sidelane pulls and junglers are problematic for me in pub games. It's rare for me in a pub game to have a team that isn't in the dual sidelane/mid solo config, so when the enemy team has a capable jungler or even worse, when a pair of friends + pub/friend form a trilane bot with axe pulling, it's trouble.

I'm building the habit of warding enemy jungle right away at the start if I'm a support, but if I'm not a support it tends to be the case that nobody on my team buys wards as one of their first items, and so our entire early game gets screwed.

Is warding the enemy jungle right off the bat the only answer to this? It feels like hastily-formed trilanes in some attempt to match their numbers ends poorly, but being 2v3 in sidelane tends to end horribly the moment they get a level up on us. Are there any strategies/tactics that can be implemented on the fly in the pub environment that can help counter that?

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    so

ward the pull camp

and its fine without surrender

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    horror story
    4 creeps per wave
    1 usually dies in pull
    1 gets eaten by lich
    2 available for me and lane partner to try to take, subject to denial by enemy

~60 g/min passive
    ~40 g/creep
    takes maybe 2 minutes to get money for a ward

realized nobody bought courier
    have to walk back to base to get ward

walk to ward placement spot, careful to not get jumped by axe while getting there
    plant ward

pull camp warded like 4 minutes after the first wave where we realized what was up
    sad life

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    You have to ward the enemy's pull camp if you want to lane. That means sucking it up and buying a set wards, even on a hero where you really don't want to. It sucks that your teammates don't support you, but no one plays support properly in pub games, so you have to make do.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Other kind of horror stories (low skill games stories): a trilane/double jungle hybrid involving Enchantress, Lifestealer and Sniper. Thank god the enemy was even more idiotic than we were and just imploded in the usual all chat raging courier spamming ragequitting fashion after this got a few kills somehow, even with their Faceless Void having near freefarm in the other lane.

I always buy the courier, this is how it's done in the low skill.

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    You have to ward the enemy's pull camp if you want to lane. That means sucking it up and buying a set wards, even on a hero where you really don't want to. It sucks that your teammates don't support you, but no one plays support properly in pub games, so you have to make do.

Hey hey hey

Support in pub games is all I do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Don't hate on my epic cm support plays. My support is so strong I need that aegis.

stream
  • Options
    Skab wrote: »

Hey hey hey

Good God, why?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »

Hey hey hey

Good God, why?

I think support/semi-carries are the way to go. Like Enchantress.

Really just play Enchantress all the time forever and you'll do just fine.

• Options
    Hoz wrote: »

Hey hey hey

Good God, why?

Because no one else does it, and I don't have very many carries I'm really all that great with.

Its fun for me. STOP JUDGING ME.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Support ain't bad, if you like the heroes.

stream
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    3clipse wrote: »
    Really just play Enchantress all the time forever and you'll do just fine.

Wise words.

Speaking of Enchantress, I just want to make sure I'm playing her correctly, or something close to it. So far this is what I do in the early game with her:

*Items are courier, sage's mask and a few mana pots at start, if someone else got the courier already I grab the entire Basilius instead. Sometimes I get smoke of deceit instead of mana pots, but the people in low skill games are just so dumb I've not noticed difference ganking with or without smoke (translation: the enemy dies anyway).

*I'm obviously jungling, obviously. I grab a creep from each of the hard camps, cleaning them along the way, hoping for a centaur or a troll to pop up but I can do fine with the others. Then I immediately gank the lane - the reasoning is that jungle creeps are super strong in the early game, I've got two of them to sic on the enemy at this point (compare Chen who's stuck with one until lvl5 or so) and overall players in lane have a combination of thinking I'll just afk farm the jungle because that's what junglers usually do and not expecting a serious first blood attempt this early in the game. This usually leads to first blood if my allies aren't sleeping on the job and didn't notice me pinging their lanes, and even then I can kill people solo if they're stupid.

*After first blood attempt I buy some items if successful, then back to the jungle - I don't really feel comfortable pushing this early in the game, my creeps are almost out of time and the death timers are too low for any serious pushing attempt to occur. I farm a bit, gain some levels and money, gank a bit more, just reminding the enemy that I exist and won't afk farm my way. Once my team gets in serious push mode I come to assist, and slowly transition into a support role as the games goes on, albeit one that can and will fuck your shit up with Impetus.

*As for items I usually get during the game: if I didn't start with a Basilius I finish it as soon as I have the gold for jungling purposes. Then I go and fix Enchantress' overall problem, it being that she's squishy as fuck. In order this means getting power treads, drum of endurance which I find super amazing on her because it's health and movespeed to help you kite and chase, then Aghanims after that, making sure to grab both the point booster and the ogre axe first.

*SPROINK ensues, unless I'm playing against Leshrac where I actively try to be all "NICE RACK LESHRAC" while avoiding being a disgrace to four legs.

Nothing else much to say, other than oh god this is a ton of words.

doublepostin edit: There's really nothing wrong with playing supports, of course you're strong early and useless late, but that's the thing: you're strong early on. Make shit happen early on, don't just passively babysit your carry. Morale is a fucking important factor of pub games, and you have the power to ensure your team has the morale while your enemy has none because they keep dying. This usually wins you the game.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Personally I prefer mana boots on her, because during a fight when you're firing off enchant + wisps + imp you burn through a lot of mana, and I build towards a mek after boots, then agh's. With the mek + wisps she's surprisingly difficult to kill, especially once you start skilling her passive.

• Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    The matchmaker is trying to give me a stroke.

I just don't see how something can be so bad at its job and not be fired. Human or block of code, I don't care!

'hay guys, i jugnle dragon knight'