Options

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    I only managed to catch a few bits and pieces of the grand final while I was at work today, is there any chance there's a recap or better yet a full stream of the three games kicking around yet?

• Options
    TheManTrapTheManTrap Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Page- wrote: »
    TheManTrap wrote: »
    Sorry guys I messed up that last game! I was distracted or something. I should have had that rax, and I should have gone mjolnir instead of desolator. :<

I dunno, man. Something was tearing up Lycan. I think that game went about as well as it could.

If I get stuck in a carry situation I should be able to deliver, especially against that calibre of player. I had no problem killing each of them individually and could take on 2 or 3 at a time and come out ahead, but I made some stupid mistakes. It was closer than it seemed.

Well, we kept getting double aoe stunned bottom by sandy claws and leshrac which was terribly annoying. But that deso and slar ult just shredded lycan. It was pretty funny.

Will you be on tonight, waifu?

TheManTrap on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Being able to kill Lycan in 4 hits is pretty nice.

And you guys have to stop saying that!

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I wanna get good with Alchemist

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    You need damage! He already has tankiness.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Man its pretty great when the opposing lane picks ES and Juggy then goes balls out, expecting you to flee from them.

Without realizing you two happen to be VS and Sand King.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Sadly Alchemist is the worst hero in the game, currently. More accurately the most unsuccessful, but whatever.

http://stats.dota2.be/herostats

40,22% win percentage is pretty bad. Not to say you shouldn't play him, just don't beat yourself up too hard if you are not doing great with him.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Is there another tournament this year? Because last year was amazing. Hope they do it again.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    He could use some balance love but I think his low win rate is more due a more nuanced style being required to have success with him. His win rate is dragged down by people unfamiliar with him trying him out or randoming him.

But unfortunately, getting familiar and good with him doesn't make you some unstoppable force like it does with a pudge or invoker so no one bothers.

Hoz on
  • Options
    I will be The One

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    I am officially the worst Dota 2 player of all time. That said, something about this game is scratching the itch that LoL doesn't quite seem to satisfy anymore.

My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Is there another tournament this year? Because last year was amazing. Hope they do it again.

Yes there is, here is a link with the relevant information.

Carried a game with Ogre Magi last night, he is super stronk once you get scepter. Their hardest carry was sniper, I felled him with 3 spells and a couple auto attacks. He is such a pain the ass to deal with, 2 low cooldown stuns (with scepter), tons of health, and bloodlust turns your allies into killing machines.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

Sadly Alchemist is the worst hero in the game, currently. More accurately the most unsuccessful, but whatever.

40,22% win percentage is pretty bad. Not to say you shouldn't play him, just don't beat yourself up too hard if you are not doing great with him.

in a pub game alch won't be able to farm the way he needs. he needs to be able to get goblin's greed up and then farm farm farm. you just can't get that in a full pub. farm lane until it isn't safe then farm jungle, but ideally, you'll want someone stacking for you. he is a natural tank, with strong farming capability, but pubs aren't a good environment.

i've seen pros farm out a full radiance in like, <10 minutes with him. probably dendi.

• Options
    Also, I've been reading the one available (updated in 2010) strategy guide for Alchemist on PlayDOTA and am ready to begin!

I can't wait to group with you guys tonight! :D

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TheManTrapTheManTrap Registered User regular
    Page, nice games last night! Thanks for carrying me yet again!

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »

in a pub game alch won't be able to farm the way he needs. he needs to be able to get goblin's greed up and then farm farm farm. you just can't get that in a full pub. farm lane until it isn't safe then farm jungle, but ideally, you'll want someone stacking for you. he is a natural tank, with strong farming capability, but pubs aren't a good environment.

i've seen pros farm out a full radiance in like, <10 minutes with him. probably dendi.

The reason I call him bad is that he is a farm dependant carry with a rather low skill ceiling and very little team fight utility. There are many heroes that scale better in the end game and many that are more useful in the early to mid game. There are very few games where I would rather have Alchemist than Doom Bringer, Skeleton King, Spirit Breaker, Dragon Knight etc.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    agreed. if you're wanting a strength carry, slardar is my personal favorite.

he is one of the more tanky heroes while still building damage.

i been doing SD games though, so i mostly pick int types. got windrunner twice :D love that redhead.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    does anyone have any slardar tips, i am trying to get better at melee types and he seems like a decent one to try especially since he seems more of a disabler type than full on hard carry

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    well, the most important thing is to learn to manage mana, and be able to last hit. for skills on him, i like to go stun, sprint, stun, sprint, stun, ult, then finish stun, get sprint to lvl 3, then max bash. keep amp damage on anyone who can invis. he scales really well with attack speed because of bash. i like to start, tango, flask, 1-2 clarity and then like, gauntlet/branches. stout is good early if you random or something. clarities because you don't want to be oom. the stun is low mana cost, but you also have a low mana pool.

i like treads first, then either vanguard or maybe force staff depending on how things are going. sometimes i'll have drum if now one else gets it and i need more beef.

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    mts wrote: »
    does anyone have any slardar tips, i am trying to get better at melee types and he seems like a decent one to try especially since he seems more of a disabler type than full on hard carry

Slardar's ult is cheap enough that you can spam the hell out of it, and it's generally wise to use it often; invis detection aside, the LoS it gives you is great. Enemy heroes become moving wards for your team.

Against heroes like Clinkz or Riki, keep them permanently ulted and laugh as the tears flow.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    also, get some form of mana regen or mana item beyond your treads. basilius is great for you if your lane mate isn't getting it, and you have crap armor anyways. beyond that, i think drum or force staff are the best choices.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    Alch's skill ceiling is actually higher than it seems, but it's mechanical skill, like Clinkz.

Everyone knows that the most common Clinkz build is to rush an orchid and then start pewpewing, but the difference between a good Clinkz and a mediocre Clinkz is a 12 minute orchid vs a 25 minute orchid. A 12 minute orchid means that Clinkz can 3 shot any support on the map. A 25 minute orchid means that Clinkz will never find a lone support and will be kind of lame in team fights.

It's the same with Alchemist. He's a hero who depends heavily on timing. There are 3 situations where he is really good: early-mid if he gets really good, safe farm in lane (like 5 creeps per minute at least), mid-late if he gets completely safe free farm in a 4 protect 1 strategy, and really late game when he can buy all the items he wants and use his insane base attack time to beat most other right click heroes. Simply put, if you can't farm at least 4 creeps per minute and not die in lane then Alchemist will be bad. You need at least 1 tier 3 or 4 damage item before 20 minutes or so to contribute, and that's really hard to do. Personally, I'd play Alchemist all the time (because he is pretty fun), but I'm really, really bad at farming, so he's not an option.

stream
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Yeah, in pubs people don't want to let Alch farm, and as a result he ends up sucking, and now everyone hates him. His ult is dirt cheap and awesome, as his giant damage AOE/armor reduction. People just always fuck up his stun, and if you have to be constantly farming to make his passive useful.

Slardar you just have to play to figure out. You need to be able to farm with him, and you need to know when it's a safe to gank, or set up a lane kill, because sprint can get your face melted if you're not careful.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Everyone plays Alch as a hard carry which is always disappointing.

He's almost as strong of an anti-carry as Slardar.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I always build him as a super annoying soak.

• Options
    So played a shadow demon match, he is super fun, though he needs some HP later on.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD

THEY ADDED RUBICK

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=41645

Cyborgmatt is getting POOPED ON for his predictions for next hero

AND I DON'T MIND OOOOOOOOOOONE BIT

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    haha rubick is super bugged atm. He can steal it all!

Also:

scaled.php?server=525&filename=12156719.png&res=landing

$.99 for a single use taunt good stuff.

(Obviously that's not how it will work in the final build. Obviously.)

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    So played a shadow demon match, he is super fun, though he needs some HP later on.

You can utterly shit on any lane in the game with him! I've been playing him a lot lately, but have had a very hard time converting his giant early game presence into something tangible late in the game. Tempted to try Bloodstone just for shits.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    http://blog.dota2.com/2012/06/did-you-see-that-kill/

Huh. Lots of tourny support, thats cool. I like the idea of being able to make Teams too.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    That's actually not bad. I know some casters were concerned that having all of their games in the client would cut them out of their main revenue source, which is ads and views for their videos. This way they can still make some money either way.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Could be really nice for people organizing the tournaments too if they get cuts from the ticket sales. Makes it much easier to offer a larger prize pool which means you can pull more high profile teams in.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular

You know, I think other than stealing stuff from allies, a lot of it is working as intended.

There were a lot of things he couldnt take in dota 1 that were due to hotkey and engine limitations, which are not there in dota 2. So, I'm not sure they will restrict him from taking the stuff he couldn't take in dota 1 just because he couldnt in dota 1.

Will be interesting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    There's also a lot of stuff that he can't steal in dota 1 because it would be stupid that he can steal in dota 2 because who knows? The hotkey stuff would still be there for legacy keys anyway.

Not sure about that kind of stealth buff. I know there was the whole Batrider nerf thing, and I know there's the smoke vs neutral thing, and I know there's the weird way orbs work just because, but still, they seem like odd choices sometimes, especially because they don't tell anyone about them.

However, it might get him some competitive play so maybe it's not all bad.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    And, really, tk and fade bolt are so good, even after the fade bolt nerf, that who even cares about his ult. You're almost never going to get the really good stuff from decent players.

stream
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Also:

scaled.php?server=525&filename=12156719.png&res=landing

$.99 for a single use taunt good stuff.

(Obviously that's not how it will work in the final build. Obviously.)

Apparently it's 50 uses if you actually buy it, which doesn't seem bad.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

You can utterly shit on any lane in the game with him! I've been playing him a lot lately, but have had a very hard time converting his giant early game presence into something tangible late in the game. Tempted to try Bloodstone just for shits.

yea, i can agree with that, I started off super strong with a pretty good farm, but towards the end fell off. He can befit from some more HP. I picked up a vitality booster (maybe to make a sheep stick) and that seemed to help a bit with not being as squishy, but i think he needs to switch to more a supporty role mid/late game

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    If you're maxing poison first on SD, I will be very sad. Then hurt you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also I want a Cave Johnson announcer pack.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Skab wrote: »
    If you're maxing poison first on SD, I will be very sad. Then hurt you.

well it seems i always dissapoint you, but I in fact maxed his Q and W skill first

camo_sig.png