Options

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    You know what I love from Keeper of the Light? Fuck his channelled nuke and free mana, 420 recall teammates every day all day

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I'm trying out Lina. Not good with her yet. Every time I get into a game with her the other team abandons. Such as below. Got up against a 4 man premade (left the names in because even I didn't believe it). I don't know what their deal was, but they abandoned a little under 30 minutes in. No one on our team was even playing particularly well, they were just playing so poorly. I kinda felt bad. Our naga solo'd top vs nyx and chaos, BS and KotL mid vs sniper, me and omni bot vs kunkka and QoP.
    Rkb1S.jpg

Fun fact: people playing in a party are always next to each other in the team listings, so that's a 5 man. And I suppose the Sniper is awful not just for playing Sniper, but also for not being in on the theme.

Huh, did not know that. We all just assumed he wasn't with them, especially after he died a lot and left first.

In my last game last night our Phantom Assassin and Clinkz kept thinking they were Rambo and would freak out every time they couldn't 1v5 or 2v5 the other team. They had a Faceless Void that was level 25 about 30 minutes in thanks to how much they were feeding. Even when we tried to get together and have team battles, they didn't participate. It was horrible.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    http://www.twitch.tv/thepremierleague/popout

Na'Vi vs Mouse gaming. NA'VI PICKED AXE. WHAT.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    CorriganX wrote: »
    http://www.twitch.tv/thepremierleague/popout

Na'Vi vs Mouse gaming. NA'VI PICKED AXE. WHAT.

I know, right? That was probably not a good idea.

EDIT Never mind, threw so hard at the end.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    That game was fantastic though.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    You guys didn't record the good game!

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    So I was playing a game as nyx against Alch and bane. I noticed that bane's sleep spell didn't seem to proc my reflect stun spell and possibly alch's big stun as well. Do they not count as damage instances or something?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bane's is a debuff, its not a damage spell. The debuff does damage, but it doesn't count for the carapace proc. I dont know about alchemist's.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Sonelan wrote: »
    So I was playing a game as nyx against Alch and bane. I noticed that bane's sleep spell didn't seem to proc my reflect stun spell and possibly alch's big stun as well. Do they not count as damage instances or something?

Pretty sure Bane's sleep is HP removal, so it doesn't really count as damage. Alchemist's stun should have proc'd though, unless I'm missing something unique about his stun.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I think the way Spiked Carapace works is that it reflects damage but any additional effects such as stuns and snares still stick on you. Also I may have misread the question.

reVerse on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    So if i was to purchase a beta invite for my friend who get's the items that come with the invite?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    So if i was to purchase a beta invite for my friend who get's the items that come with the invite?

"Get immediate access to Dota 2 and start playing right away! Or get an extra key to trade to a friend"

Looks like you can either buy it and give it to him, then when he uses it he will get the items, or you can use it and get an extra key to trade to a friend and you keep the items.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    I think the way Spiked Carapace works is that it reflects damage but any additional effects such as stuns and snares still stick on you. Also I may have misread the question.

Yeah I figured the stuns and such would still work. But he never seemed to get stunned by my carapace when it hit me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    what's a good carry for someone who has never really played a carry

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Video of last night's first game being cast by TychoCelchuuu and I:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbfLNiMPp-w&feature=plcp

Really good cast guys. I was pleasantly surprised! Not to say I was expecting it to be bad.

BradicusMaximus on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Video of last night's first game being cast by TychoCelchuuu and I:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbfLNiMPp-w&feature=plcp

Really good cast guys. I was pleasantly surprised! Not to say I was expecting it to be bad.

Thank you! I'm glad people seemed to enjoy it. We will be doing the same type of thing for the actual tournament. I believe it's going to be me, Alecthar, and Tychocelchuuu switching up casting duties depending on the game.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah, glad you liked the cast. I wasn't outputting jokes at my usual level (at a little before the 1 hour mark, when @TehSpectre couldn't TP out because it would've been on cooldown when he bought it, there's a big gaping silence where I tried to think up a funny reply to what @Spawnbroker said about Mirana's arrow not counting as a Roshan attempt. You can measure how badly I failed by the length of the silence :P ). I'm really looking forward to seeing the PA tournament and it'll be fun to cast some of the games too, as long as I'm watching.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »
    what's a good carry for someone who has never really played a carry
    Skeleton King

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Sven is also a solid choice for new player carries. Both of them are pretty much just "Press Q, hit the target you want to die, smack that bastard in the face." Sven just also wants to hit E and R, while Skeleton King just wants to make sure that he's got a soul ring or at least 10 charges on a stick before fighting heroes with mana burn.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    Sven is a completely mediocre carry and while SK is fine he may not be the best place to start if you end up relying on his ult. I also think a big problem in pubs is picking a melee carry and then ending up in a double melee lane, so I think I'd recommend luna, morph or viper.

• Options
    Yeah, neither of them have massively high potential, but they're easy carries for new players; besides the range disadvantage, they're simple, they've got a powerful setup skill and good durability, fairly fast autoattacks, and good enough base damage to help out with early last hitting.

I agree with Viper also being a good guy for newer players, but I dunno about Morph (tricky) or Luna (her range is incredibly short if we're recommending ranged heroes).

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    Dragon Knight is also a good hero to pick, if you're new to carries. He's really tanky, and pretty easy to last hit with too. Get one level of stun at the start, then max out his passive skill asap, followed by his nuke. You can pretty much stay in lane forever.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    I'd definitely second Dragon Knight. He's got a little bit of everything - stun, AOE, an excellent ult (third level is amazing) - and, as has been said, can take a lot of punishment with his passive.

Personally, he's one of my favorites. Also his attacks a really satisfying THWACK sound.

• Options
    The only thing with DK is that he's a bit weird since you don't necessarily want the second rank of his ult because you lose the poison effect, which is great for pushing down towers. The third rank is amazing, though.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    qwer12 wrote: »
    Dragon Knight is also a good hero to pick, if you're new to carries. He's really tanky, and pretty easy to last hit with too. Get one level of stun at the start, then max out his passive skill asap, followed by his nuke. You can pretty much stay in lane forever.

You should probably max the nuke first before the passive, but yes, only one in stun at the start. The nuke doesn't scale and is his only real source of good damage early on, as well as being an excellent killstealing skill for when you are a low level chump.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Max the nuke when you're having an easy time laning, passive when you aren't.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Basically, yeah. The theory is that the nuke is great if you're winning and also a great way to push the lane, snag last hits (I believe a maxed nuke is essentially "hit everything with a quelling blade twice except whatever dude is getting focused by your creeps, burn, hit the caster creep, you got the whole wave") and then use green dragon form to push the tower... but if you've got a hell lane you can also have a point in W, max out E with Q whenever, and just farm last hits under the tower fairly easily.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Sven can carry, but it takes a long time and a lot of farm, he's also incredibly vulnerable to being kited until his damage gets high, but easy to play. SK is much easier, especially with his passive letting him sit in lane. Viper depends on good positioning, but his Q makes killing dudes pretty easy.

• Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    hadoken wrote: »

You should probably max the nuke first before the passive, but yes, only one in stun at the start. The nuke doesn't scale and is his only real source of good damage early on, as well as being an excellent killstealing skill for when you are a low level chump.

Well, I recommended his passive first since he said he's new, and it allows for him to be more aggressive with last hits. But yeah, definitely get the nuke first if you already have lane control. If you're getting nuke first, you should also get soul ring on him too to solve your mana problems. 1 level on your passive + soul ring will allow you to more or less spam your nuke.

With regards to his ult, you can either take it asap at level 11 if you're able to stack the ancients camp. The splash allows you to clear it really quickly. If you're focusing on pushing, you should probably just skip it til level 15.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    I just played a game in which our invoker threw so hard it came back all the way around the earth so we won.

He spent the early game losing mid to a witch doctor, then decided that he needed to be mr big plays. He borrow a ward from our support and proceeded to slowly inch his way toward the enemy fountain using invis and a force staff. So, the first time he tried this, I as kotl took one look at the minimap and said, "AHH WHY IS HE IN THEIR BASE MUST SUMMON HIM OUT!!!" which made him angry. So he fed some more and tried it again. After he spent 10 minutes total trying to ward there, he succeeded. He did manage to get one kill that way, so woo...

Anyway, he then decided he needed to spice things up. He sat in the fountain and sunstrike farmed his way to a divine rapier, immediately killed himself, and gave it to the other team. This was his mistake. We get wrecked and almost murdered, but we get the rapier. More specifically, I got the rapier. Then I died, but the next fight we got it back, and our SB made his own rapier. Then he died so I saved it.

Look at it! LOOK AT IT!

Also, you may notice that Invoker built another rapier to give the enemy team.

• Options
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    One of the best parts about that game was actually how the SB dealt with the invoker at the last second. Sb actually offered to get invoker an aegis, knowing full well that the invoker would take anything he could from the team. Little did he know that this was the plan! It made it so that in the last team fight invoker had to die twice to feed the enemy team his rapier. Genius.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    hadoken wrote: »

Well, I recommended his passive first since he said he's new, and it allows for him to be more aggressive with last hits. But yeah, definitely get the nuke first if you already have lane control. If you're getting nuke first, you should also get soul ring on him too to solve your mana problems. 1 level on your passive + soul ring will allow you to more or less spam your nuke.

With regards to his ult, you can either take it asap at level 11 if you're able to stack the ancients camp. The splash allows you to clear it really quickly. If you're focusing on pushing, you should probably just skip it til level 15.

Someone else in this thread passed it on to me, but my build with DK is to get a level in stun and his passive, and then start leveling the nuke. Then you build a soul ring, and sit in lane forever free farming by burning down minion waves with the Q.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    You should put one point in stun at level one then max his nuke as fast as possible. You should take regen to your lane to get you to the point where you start leveling you passive. Leveling your passive over your nuke is a huge mistake because it just isn't worth it early. You have low health so nukes are your greatest threat at that point, and a bit of armor/health regen won't help you live. After level 7 or so you start leveling it and never leave the lane.

• Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    Is there a button you can push to make ground/hero targeted abilities like Sprout only target heroes? I keep fucking that spell up and it's frustrating.

• Options
    HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
    About the Premier League Masters
    Mtw won the Premier League Masters, they played really well against Navi. I was happy to see Storm Spirit played

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Is there a way to remove the fire visual effect from the main menu? There's no options anywhere, it slows the entire menu to a crawl and i's fucking pissing me off.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Is there a way to remove the fire visual effect from the main menu? There's no options anywhere, it slows the entire menu to a crawl and i's fucking pissing me off.

There's a console command for it, but I don't remember what it is due to never having needed it.

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    instead of playing a carry

I played wisp

he's cool

• Options
    Wisp seems like the kind of hero you would never ever use in a pub game. Hes so dependent on people that are great with their heroes and able to gank with his ult, just to perform at his best. Hes a great support, dont get me wrong, but hes the kind of support that really magnifies the hero hes supporting, so if you get a team that isn't super on point with their heroes, he can be more of a hinderance than a game changer.

n1woEHJ.png