As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft2] Thread closed. Move on to the new thread.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    my favorite players are terran and I'm not excited

it just takes time, I used to not care bout polt

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh man, that took SO LONG. I just got home, and I'm so tired. Fun day though, even though neither Stephano nor Nestea made it to the championship.

On a separate note, I talked with Ret and his girlfriend for about twenty minutes on a smoke break. I asked him a bunch of questions about traveling and what it's like to be a pro player. It was like my own little interview. He's very nice and forthcoming, and so is his girlfriend (she's cute, too). That was the highlight of my weekend.

fatalspoons on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Ret's girlfriend is my favourite starcraft 2 related story.

If it's the same chick as the one from that MLG.

• Options
    PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    Major, major envy. Ret seems like the coolest guy, love his stream, and the fact that he's dutch. Must root for countryman!

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    sleep triumphs yet again

also hooray for alive, dude is just a consistently good player, which may be why people aren't that hyped about him

Biosys on
  • Options
    Yeah, Ret is pretty cool. I'm going to root for him at DreamHack. Apparently he's going there, then to Korea, then he and his girlfriend are moving to Arizona near the EG house. That's quite a trip around the world, if you ask me.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    biosys shall we make war on the broods?

edit: i'm idling in channel pa on iccup

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    biosys shall we make war on the broods?

edit: i'm idling in channel pa on iccup

ah right sorry, didn't check the thread

coming on now

edit: too late T.T

Biosys on
  • Options
    brood war is hard T.T

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Biosys wrote: »
    brood war is hard T.T

Seriously.

Even just keeping up with macro is hard work.

Thankfully trying to micro is mostly pointless unless you know the micro tricks. Units don't really obey any sort of actual command you give them.

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    I won a good PvZ today

Good solid macro, kept on top of my upgrades, lots of gateways, expanded aggressively and kept an eye on his army at all times. Feels good man!

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Biosys wrote: »
    brood war is hard T.T

Seriously.

Even just keeping up with macro is hard work.

Thankfully trying to micro is mostly pointless unless you know the micro tricks. Units don't really obey any sort of actual command you give them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL2ltVIMSc4

• Options
    edited April 2012
    brood war: where a-moving protoss units is actually hard

Biosys on
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it's impossible to defend against mutas using dragoons. Those fuckers go everywhere but where I want them

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqsSrWZciY0
    I'm not convinced people could do this in SC2, let alone BW.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    the pathing in SC2 is so incredibly more advanced than SC:BW

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    mastman wrote: »
    the pathing in SC2 is so incredibly more advanced than SC:BW

come on, dragoon and (sc2) ultra pathing is quite similar :-)

(but yes, most of the pathing is top notch... bw.. not so much... dragoons were the most infamous, but goliaths, and ultras also suffered horribly in BW.)

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    http://drop.sc/156665
    http://drop.sc/156666
    http://drop.sc/156667
    http://drop.sc/156668
    http://drop.sc/156669
    http://drop.sc/156670
    http://drop.sc/156671

Here's me trying 3 different styles of PvZ, and failing at all of them. Clearly there is something more wrong than my choice of strategy, but I don't know what it is. My mechanics seem more than good enough to win PvP and PvT, but I just get continuously stomped by every zerg I play.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Started going Bio until 3rd is up and running then adding double Fac vZ. I feel so vulnerable even if I open Hellion/Banshee. I <3 my Tanks, and I'm not sure my splitting is good enough to make it better than Marine/Tank. Blargh.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    I just lost to a gold leauge zerg.

I have been practicing every day. I have been trying to refine build orders. I have been taking advice from every zerg I can, and trying to get my mechanics to an acceptable state. I would say that my play now is almost certainly better than it was a couple of weeks ago. And I just lost to a fucking gold leauge zerg.

This is it. I've actually hit rock bottom.

• Options
    Nah man, Gold is still higher than Silver or Bronze so it can't be the bottom. Also, Gold isn't a rock it's a metal.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    wood league

• Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    PAX is over. If anything, it gave more evidence about how awesome the people from the SC2 thread are.
    It was sad that day9 could not make it, but I told everyone at SotG to send him PAX hugs. Also, I hear that while I was doing this, there was a lady kicking major ass at IPL, beating up some Koreans? I am an instant fan. :D

Also, pictures when I get home tonight of the crew :)

narwhal on
    Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    narwhal wrote: »
    PAX is over. If anything, it gave more evidence about how awesome the people from the SC2 thread are.
    It was sad that day9 could not make it, but I told everyone at SotG to send him PAX hugs. Also, I hear that while I was doing this, there was a lady kicking major ass at IPL, beating up some Koreans? I am an instant fan. :D

Scarlett, the Zerg Queen

• Options
    don't give me this "at least its not bronze" shit. If it isn't grandmaster, then it doesn't matter what colour the badge is, its wood leauge.

• Options
    jaziek wrote: »
    don't give me this "at least its not bronze" shit. If it isn't grandmaster, then it doesn't matter what colour the badge is, its wood leauge.

photo-3.png

• Options
    Not mad at the game, mad at myself for being a useless piece of shit.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    dude, I think you might have self-esteem issues.

• Options
    I definitely do.

• Options
    Have an internet hug.

*hug*

• Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    OH OH OH I like giving hugs!
    *hugs for you too!

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    yoyoyoyoyoyoyo

streamuuuu cause why not

ladderin, customin, maybe even some dotain

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

HA HA HA AHA AHAHAAH HAAAA!!

That's a horrible attitude to have unless you plan on going pro. Are you planning on going pro? If so, disregard me, if not listen. SC2 is just a game. Play it for fun like everyone else. You don't like losing, then stop getting so upset. Except that it happens and move on. Play some friendlies with other PA people. Games shouldn't be a chore.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    You don't like losing, then stop getting so upset.

that doesn't even make the tiniest bit of sense.

Of course I'm not gonna feel good when I fail at something I want to be good at.

Its called a ladder because you're meant to climb it. Not find a comfy rung and sit on that.

jaziek on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Of course I'm not gonna feel good when I fail at something I want to be good at.

Its called a ladder because you're meant to climb it. Not find a comfy rung and sit on that.

OK, do what I (and many professional players) do, develop a short-term memory. Don't dwell on your losses. Think about what you did wrong (bad engagement, forgot an upgrade, etc) and try and improve on it in the future.

Look, you're Diamond league player and I'm Gold. You're already REALLY good at the game and much better than I am. You just need to tweak your attitude and I think you'll see results. Kinda like Idra in a way...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    One day... one day I am going to have the fortune to attend a PAX.

• Options
    Dover's quoted phrasing makes little sense.

However, his sentiment does not. There are two ways to deal with loss:

1. GET MAD, BRO
    2. Have fun anyway.

Losing is arguably more important than winning; losing is where you learn, grow and improve. Don't be mad that you lost; be happy that you were given an education.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    man i'm really not gonna have an excuse to not attend pax next year when I'm living in Boston

gonna have to brush up on my "getting extremely drunk at conventions" skills

• Options

OK, do what I (and many professional players) do, develop a short-term memory. Don't dwell on your losses. Think about what you did wrong (bad engagement, forgot an upgrade, etc) and try and improve on it in the future.

Look, you're Diamond league player and I'm Gold. You're already REALLY good at the game and much better than I am. You just need to tweak your attitude and I think you'll see results. Kinda like Idra in a way...

It depends where your definition of good is.

Or alternatively, how much you're willing to lie to yourself.

I would say that nobody is "good" at anything at all unless they're in the top 1% of it.

You aren't GOOD at mathematics because you get an A on whatever test it is you just took, you aren't GOOD at whatever sport it is you play because you are on a county level team, and you aren't GOOD at starcraft when you're in diamond league. Yes you may be above average in the small set of people you interact with on a daily basis, but its a big world out there, and there are thousands of people who can make your best effort look laughable without even trying. They've got more natural talent in one finger than you have in your entire body, and they've been practicing for twice as long as you have, and twice as hard.

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    narwhal wrote: »

Scarlett, the Zerg Queen

I wanted to watch her play but she always had a huge crowd around her. Plus, I spent most of my time at the main stage so I didn't get to see the pool players that much.

On a separate note, I asked Ret's girlfriend if she had been to a lot of tournaments. She of course said yes. I then asked her how she thought IPL4 compared to the others, and she said she thought it was the best venue she had ever been to. That made me feel great. I <3 Vegas.