As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Duolingo: Learning Foreign Languages RPG

DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss.Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Social Entropy++
I got accepted into the Duolingo private beta yesterday, and since my wife might be applying for things in Europe, I figured it might be a good time to give German a shot. It's pretty rad so far. I've never used Rosetta Stone or anything, so I don't know how comparable this is. But hey, it's free, and it uses that "gamification" approach (which I'm not normally a fan of). But unlike things like Fitocracy, it's not just self-reporting. It's basically like an RPG - you gain XP by completing practice, which will usually be enough to get you to the "learned" point for a given skill, but to master it you have to translate real-world examples like Wikipedia excerpts. So far I've been given a blog entry about a bookstore and the German Wikijunior article on Latvia.

Here's my progress screen:

duo1.png

It was started by the Luis von Ahn, the guy who figured out that you could use captchas to digitize books by tossing unknowns in with knowns and making people type in both. Computers are getting pretty decent at automatic translation, but there's so much variance in how language is used that I can definitely see the utility it comparing computer translations with human ones.

Delzhand on

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    that sounds very cool!

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Ahhh this looks cool but if its a private beta how can we use it : (

Do you know when it will open up? Or are you giving out codes right now?

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    This does sound very interesting. What other languages does it offer?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Oh man I wanna learn German.

I just signed up, hope I get in.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I signed up for the beta several months ago and followed Duolingo on twitter. They sent out 10,000 invites yesterday, but I don't know what the future schedule is. Right now it offers German and Spanish to English speakers, and I think English for Spanish speakers. I think English to Chinese, French and Italian are in the works. You can sign up for the beta at Duolingo.com.

I just came across the first line I couldn't translate. It was something about the Russians wanting to Russianize Latvia's cities to oppress the upper class Germans or something. It wasn't even the highest level translations I've been given either.

Delzhand on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    oh man i could use this to brush up on my spanish.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    This looks super cool, hope to try it out sometime.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    sounds neat. i signed up

nevillexmassig1.png
  • KillAudioKillAudio Registered User regular
    I was invited yesterday as well, it's very enjoyable so far.

Here is a video where Luis von Ahn explains the idea behind it.

http://youtu.be/cQl6jUjFjp4

Very Cool!

What language are you doing?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    looks cool, I need to learn German for school anyway so I'd love to use this

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

You know who else spoke German?

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    this sounds super neat. does it do anything in terms of spoken pronunciation or is it focused just on writing? does it have supplementary info, like resources that explain punctuation or other linguistic things that language has that English doesn't?

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I signed up for this.

Hope that I can eventually get in on the English to Chinese one, but as is I'll try German.

I haven't plugged in my microphone, but it did prompt me to during setup. I know you can turn it back on later. And there's a section below the lessons that has commentary type stuff suggested by users, like "In German, all nouns are capitalized".

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I haven't plugged in my microphone, but it did prompt me to during setup. I know you can turn it back on later. And there's a section below the lessons that has commentary type stuff suggested by users, like "In German, all nouns are capitalized".

that's really cool!

i watched that one video and he was like 'with 1 million users, we could translate all of wikipedia into spanish in 80 hours' and i nearly shit myself because holy shit

I just realized you can follow other people and see their progress. If anyone wants to follow me, my username is the same. I'm currently Lv 4, I've unlocked phrases and food. Ich lerne!

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    might have to sign up for this to brush up on french whenever they add it

or spanish, since that'd actually be useful

nah, french

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    H5 Delz, I got accepted a few days ago!

I'm learning Spanish, though, because...uh...I guess I don't want to learn German.

iwantanswers3.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2012
    speaking in german is akin to making angry vomit noises

DJ Eebs on
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

You know who else spoke German?

MY MOM!

EzUAYcn.png
    edited April 2012
    I'm now following a Larlar, hopefully that's you.

Edit: Huh, the spanish tree is different. I mean, I assume it would be for functional differences, but the Sports and Politics sections are at the very end of German, but not quite so in Spanish

Delzhand on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Crwth, I want you to learn as many languages as you can.

I want you to be able to lick all sorts of wacky alphabets into my sweet little clitty.

It is indeed. The great thing about being part of a limited beta is no one takes your username.

Now...

duolingo.png

Race you to the end. First person to become ruler of the language's respective country wins.

iwantanswers3.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Looks very cool. My fiancee speaks French, and I've been meaning to learn - all I can manage now is what I can guess from the Latin I studied. Hope they get the French up and running soon.

edited April 2012
    You're making your owl cry, [redacted]!

Also, I'm not sure I'd want to rule Germany. I mean, I'd be tempted to bring back those fashionable outfits of the 40s, but... you know...

Delzhand on
    i remember this thing i heard (on radioab) that showed two babies, one french and one german

and they recorded their voices and found that the german baby cried in a deeper tone than the french baby because the language is a little deeper and it would endear them to their german parents more

i dont remember if it was an innate trait or if they had to be raised with the language, though, but it was really cool

I think the languages need class names. I'm gonna go with Germangineer and Spaniarrior.

frenchomancer

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    if you want to become the leader of germany, you have to battle merkel

you don't want to do that

Chineseer
    Italadin

frenchomancer

but pronounced french-o-man-say

iwantanswers3.png
    edited April 2012
    fron-swa-say-o-man-say-can-you-see-by-the-dawns-early-light

mensch-o-matic on
    Delzhand wrote: »
    You're making your owl cry, [redacted]!

Also, I'm not sure I'd want to rule Germany. I mean, I'd be tempted to bring back those fashionable outfits of the 40s, but... you know...

I'm finishing up my Masters in these next two weeks. It's hard to find time for digital owls right now.

iwantanswers3.png
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    No no

Italimancer

Because of Mass Effect
    I'll see myself out now

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    This is actually a very nifty idea.

Signed up!

Nothing. Matters.
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    This is a nifty idea! I'd totally use it to make myself feel better about my Korean skills, if, you know, it offered Korean.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I signed up for Italian - at least, to have a chance when it becomes available.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    edited April 2012
    Verdammt, Larlar! Are you just blowing through the lessons?

Edit: Yeah, that's right. I gained 8 points before bed just to pass you by.

Delzhand on
    Heh. I'm just procrastinating from actual work I have to do. This is a fantastic outlet.

iwantanswers3.png