As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Democracy on the [chat]

MazzyxMazzyx Comedy GoldRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Since I am currently reading about Chinese politics and democratization I will do a democracy [chat].

Democracy is on the march.

Democratization_Arab_World.jpg

Some of the folks are like this man...

ghannushi-turkey-is-a-model-that-merges-islam-and-democracy.jpg

He is helping build an Islamic democracy in Tunisia while joining with secular parties.

Others are fighting it like this man...

220px-Bashar_al-Assad_(cropped).jpg

He is kind of a dick.

But whatever happens in the Mid-East it is a new world we are living in. Full of mass movements, peaceful resistance and lots of dead people watering that tree of liberty. And none of it seems to be attached to this man's work.

large_George-W-Bush-Oct11-01-Legacy.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
Mazzyx on

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    FIRST.

for freedom.

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Bashar is the alpha dick.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    This thread is now a sovereign Christian nation.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oh man I didn't think this guy was still around making stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzxjGEPTPZw

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Resonance of fate is a fun, if a bit odd game.

You would think putting a scope on a dot sight on the gun's sight would hamper your aim, not bolster it.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote:
    But whatever happens in the Mid-East it is a new world we are living in. Full of mass movements, peaceful resistance and lots of dead people watering that tree of liberty. And none of it seems to be attached to this man's work.

isn't it, mazz

isn't it

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Bah, I owed $660 to the IRS. If I had remembered that I'd sold stocks and whatnot I think I would have gone ahead and gotten an accountant. I've probably outgrown turbotax at this point.

Oh well, wasn't as bad as last year when i had to pay the taxes on selling my NFLX stock. Also, I hate that I have pretty high medical expenses but they are not so high that I can deduct them.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote:

isn't it, mazz

isn't it

Well, he did sort of set the standard for "this is how fucking crazy we can get motherfucker" when it came to invading other countries, making all future presidents look downright diplomatic.

nibXTE7.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Bush as president is like eating at Denny's, after that no matter where you go you can say "Well at least it's not Denny's."

nibXTE7.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am going to grill Condi Rice on if she believes their neo-con crap actually has lead to the Arab Spring. I want to here their rationalization. After I ask why the put Brenner in charge of Iraq.

Seriously, they gave me a new word. Pulling a Brenner.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I appear to have inadvertently made a femshep that looks like Marilyn Manson when viewed in profile.

japan wrote: »
    I appear to have inadvertently made a femshep that looks like Marilyn Manson when viewed in profile.

awful

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Would have made so much more sense to have the kids in Eva be like fifteen/sixteen.

That's how I perceive them anyway.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

You would think putting a scope on a dot sight on the gun's sight would hamper your aim, not bolster it.

anime

Leitner wrote: »
    Would have made so much more sense to have the kids in Eva be like fifteen/sixteen.

They fit the last year of public school age in my head. Which in Japan is 9th grade. High school(10-12) is optional. So that makes a lot of sense culturally. It is the coming of age period.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

anime

it's not that anime compared to most JRPGs. Especially since the combat system is basically Equilibrium with 5 people.

Man Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night are so fun to watch people speedrun

and now it looks like there may be a new way to run each game. Reverse Boss Order for Super Metroid which is: crystal flash -> ridley -> draygon -> phantoon -> kraid

And now it looks like Pacifist runs are in Symphony of the Night, which aren't kill-less its just to keep the kill counter at 0 so there are a few glitches you have to do to progress.

anime

it's not that anime compared to most JRPGs. Especially since the combat system is basically Equilibrium with 5 people.

Oh I know just the way I reason the thing you mentioned. and I really should play RoF eventually.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote:

isn't it, mazz

isn't it

Well, he did sort of set the standard for "this is how fucking crazy we can get motherfucker" when it came to invading other countries, making all future presidents look downright diplomatic.

Wasn't Nixon like that as well?

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am going to grill Condi Rice on if she believes their neo-con crap actually has lead to the Arab Spring. I want to here their rationalization. After I ask why the put Brenner in charge of Iraq.

Seriously, they gave me a new word. Pulling a Brenner.
    i don't know

he was pretty good in The Ten Commandments

Mazzyx wrote:

isn't it, mazz

isn't it

Technically, Nixon is Obama, becoming president during a war, first escalating it, then pulling troops out finally.

nibXTE7.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    wow.

the company that bought the startup I worked for as my first developer job aparently went public a little while back.

those (until now worthless) shares I've been sitting on are currently worth a bit over 120k.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular

They fit the last year of public school age in my head. Which in Japan is 9th grade. High school(10-12) is optional. So that makes a lot of sense culturally. It is the coming of age period.
    These school grades mean nothing to me, I only in the last like two years learnt highschool was 17/18 not 15/16 for you guys.

japan wrote: »

awful

I want for kind of pale and gaunt, and Manson is fairly androgynous, so it does make some sense.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    wow.

the company that bought the startup I worked for as my first developer job aparently went public a little while back.

those (until now worthless) shares I've been sitting on are currently worth a bit over 120k.

it's an april fool's bonus

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    wow.

SELL SELL SELL!!!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    wow.

SELL SELL SELL!!!

Indeed. Though now I need to find an account to explain the rather confusing rules about when I can sell what (they are restricted shares).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Mazzyx wrote:

isn't it, mazz

isn't it

Nixon gets a lot of shit but outside of his war criminal works with Vietnam and the surrounding countries he actually was a pretty successful and respected President when it comes to international relations.

Between the SALT treaty, opening China and working on other important nonproliferation treaties he has a damn good track record. This gets white washed by his illegal bombing of Cambodia and his criminal actions at home.

u7stthr17eud.png
    wow.

A six-figure windfall is definitely cause for celebration.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

anime

Really. REALLY. It's not that anime?

anime.jpg

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed that Shahs of Sunset only has one sexy, vapid Iranian girl.

Seriously, if there were like five or six of them, I might watch

wow.

SELL SELL SELL!!!

Indeed. Though now I need to find an account to explain the rather confusing rules about when I can sell what (they are restricted shares).

Where's Tyrannus when you need him?

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    wow.

SELL SELL SELL!!!

My dad knows about this stuff. He was a construction worker his entire working life but managed to put away a fair bit and has been living off of stock trading the last few years. He should be able to hook me up with an accountant.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

These school grades mean nothing to me, I only in the last like two years learnt highschool was 17/18 not 15/16 for you guys.

Japanese public school ends at the age of 15. So 14-15 is the final year of the Japanese required school system. Usually in the spring of that year they take an entrance exam for high school which is 15-18.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I really hope the Animeification of other cartoons dies soon. I'm tired of the noseless bobbleheads with fishbowl eyes.

nibXTE7.png
    wow.

SELL SELL SELL!!!

My dad knows about this stuff. He was a construction worker his entire working life but managed to put away a fair bit and has been living off of stock trading the last few years. He should be able to hook me up with an accountant.

Well congrats and I hope you can sell them quickly and make all kinds of money. Just be sure to set some of that money aside for taxes.

Steam
    edited March 2012
    wow.

SELL SELL SELL!!!

Well congrats and I hope you can sell them quickly and make all kinds of money. Just be sure to set some of that money aside for taxes.

luckily the company is doing well so there's no rush to unload em. (it's currently trading at about 24 afer an IPO of 11 in Feb.)

edit: probably at least half of any money from this is going into the boys college savings account anyway. And the rest into savings for a house.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

Japanese public school ends at the age of 15. So 14-15 is the final year of the Japanese required school system. Usually in the spring of that year they take an entrance exam for high school which is 15-18.

Really?

Wow, I was not aware of that. I always wondered about the placement test thing to get into HS. I just thought it was to get into a better high school, not like college.

Steam

Really?

Wow, I was not aware of that. I always wondered about the placement test thing to get into HS. I just thought it was to get into a better high school, not like college.

The current Japanese school system developed in the post war era due to requirements of the occupation government. The system breaks down into 5 different sets. First is Kindergarten which is basically pre-school. They are private and there is competition to get your kids into the best and most expensive kindergartens. Its mostly like any pre-school, some classes on numbers maybe letters. Some do English as well. Lots of play time as well. Then you get elementary school which in the US is grades 1-6. Pretty standard. They learn basic reading and writing in first grade and then add kanji and more complicated grammar as they progress. Their math though is very fast, I was teaching 6th graders algebra. This is the first set of required public school.

Next is Middle school. This is three years (7th-9th). They have more advanced classes. And this is the last set of required schooling in the country. This is also when you first get uniforms. Also this is when they are required to start studying English. Though starting this year actually, 5th and 6th grade are required to study basic English phrases. At the end of middle school there are entrance exams. Those lead to the high school system which is a mix of city, prefectual and private schools.

High schools come in two types, college prep(normal high school) and technical schools. The latter are more for jobs like construction, plumbing and electricians. The former is like high school in the states and those are the students who take entrance exams to go to college.

A lot of the system developed during the post-WWII baby boom so the entrance exams are not nearly as tough as they use to be just because there are so fewer kids for a lot more spaces.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i'm so mad at myself. normally i wake up way early and on time for anything i need to do. i don't really oversleep. but today i overslept by more than 90 minutes. :( i had to hurriedly call a cab while brushing my teeth. ended up fucking spending over 30 bucks to get there instead of 3.

*rage*

This discussion has been closed.