As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Prince over time...

SketchTheArtistSketchTheArtist Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hello

Here's a piece I'm working on. C&C are appreciated. Thanks!

PoPwip3.jpg

SketchTheArtist.jpg
SketchTheArtist on

• Options
    MertzyMertzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just a casual glance but his right shoulder in that first one is a bit saggy.

Mertzy on
    THE END.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Mertzy wrote: »
    Just a casual glance but his right shoulder in that first one is a bit saggy.

What do you mean saggy?

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    His arm is connected to his torso lower than it should be, or at least it seems that way.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yea, it is a bit saggy. I like that word... saggy.

Is this Prince of Persia fan art?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    CorgiCorgi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It could just be me but it kind of looks like he barely has any shoulder.

Corgi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    "To sink, droop, or settle from pressure or weight."

Oh okay. Now I know what it means. ;-)

Yeah, it's because he has an oversized shirt and pants, just like in the first game.

@Kewop: Yes it is.

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think what they mean (and what I see, too) is how the first one's right arm (our left) isn't connected to the shoulder blade. It goes into the middle of his torso.

It should be more like this (forgive the crappy quick Photoshop draw-over):

popwipfix.jpg

PeterAndCompany on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oooohhhh, the FIRST one. In my mind, it was the FIRST Prince, the young one at the bottom. lol

Oh, alright, I see what you mean. Yeah, now I see it. I'll fix it in my next update, but I don't want to fully expose his shoulder so that is seems like his shoulders are going backwards and lower.

Thanks.

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Fixed it up there!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pretty awesome, I'd say. Only thing I noticed right off the bat was that the "dark" side of his torso, in the first picture, seems to curve inward too much - especially when compared to his other side, or any of the following drawings.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Pretty awesome, I'd say. Only thing I noticed right off the bat was that the "dark" side of his torso, in the first picture, seems to curve inward too much - especially when compared to his other side, or any of the following drawings.

Thanks man. Well, he's taking a big breath of air and then screams his lungs out. So his thorax is pumped full and his upper body is more forward. Plus, the left side, the light Prince, has a shirt and a plate which obstructs his skim compared to the bare-chested Dark one.

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It would be a neat effect if you made the bottom part the main focus, with the middle/second iteration becoming a slightly transparent sillouette above/around the first prince followed by a much larger background of the third/top/demented prince surrounding both the first and the second version princes, kind of like a reflection of what is yet to come in the many troubled times ahead.

Godfather on
  • Options
    couch-potatocouch-potato Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    On the top figure, the one when the Prince's transformation is complete - it would really help if you put some more effort in his mouth to enhance the overall effect. That sounded dirty, I'm going to shower now.

couch-potato on
    "We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special. "
    -Stephen Hawking
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Put some canines in the mouth. It'll really help with the effect. His mouth looks waay to pansy-like right now especially cuz his teeth are so small and clean.

benz0rs on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    actually, a little bit of canine may help. I think something else that could make it more interesting/effective would be to change the shape of his mouth - right now it's very square.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Don't worry about the color of his teeth, this is just the pencil lines. ;-) And I'll add with the colors a small light source from inside his throath that'll appear in his mouth.

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Thanks again for the kind words guys! I'll try to finish it some day but I have an illustration contract for drawing the pages of around 12 volumes with 20 pages each for school books and I also have college work so, I'm REALLY busy. ;-)

Here's a quick thing I did. I took the crit someone gave me about the 'Head & Crotch' thing and changed the position and added something else. I wanted to find a way to make a fourth version of the Prince. Him as the new ruler of Babylon. The pose ISN'T the one I'm gonna be using, it's just a quick placeholder.

PoPwip4.jpg

Tell me what you guys think!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    icebergiceberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Composition is really boring. Think about what you're going to do to the background before going any farther.

iceberg on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    iceberg wrote: »
    Composition is really boring. Think about what you're going to do to the background before going any farther.

I wanted to go with a sort of darkly lit background with various brush strokes. Not sure about the colors though. With a swirling sand effect surrounding the base of the characters.

Dunno about the placement of them....perhaps you have any non-boring ideas? ;-)

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    I loved the first three, but I'm not keen on that pose. Difficult to tell this early on though!

Tube on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Suggestion? Sure why not.

Your composition troubles are basically coming from the fact that what you say you want to do and what you're doing are different things. You're saying that you want to represent this transformation this dude is going through. What you're doing is presenting four seperate pictures when if fact you intend to only do one.

You're taking all the elements you have to work with and spreading them out across the picture plane (which can work, but rarely and not in this case).

My suggestion is to take these starting sketches and treat them as pieces to a puzzle. Try to fit them together to form one coherent picture. Mesh them together so they act as a sandwich rather than just fixings. Try to make them speak to each other.

An example:

composition_help.gif

Granted it would have been better if I could put this delicious apple sauce down, but I'm not here to do your work, damnit!

Keep in mind the background textures you want when you start to rebuild the piece. Try to create a path for our eyes to travel. Make sure we jump to the first iteration of this dude. Make it clear he's first and the rest follow as they should.

iceberg on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    iceberg wrote: »
    Suggestion? Sure why not.

Your composition troubles are basically coming from the fact that what you say you want to do and what you're doing are different things. You're saying that you want to represent this transformation this dude is going through. What you're doing is presenting four seperate pictures when if fact you intend to only do one.

You're taking all the elements you have to work with and spreading them out across the picture plane (which can work, but rarely and not in this case).

My suggestion is to take these starting sketches and treat them as pieces to a puzzle. Try to fit them together to form one coherent picture. Mesh them together so they act as a sandwich rather than just fixings. Try to make them speak to each other.

An example:

composition_help.gif

Granted it would have been better if I could put this delicious apple sauce down, but I'm not here to do your work, damnit!

Keep in mind the background textures you want when you start to rebuild the piece. Try to create a path for our eyes to travel. Make sure we jump to the first iteration of this dude. Make it clear he's first and the rest follow as they should.

Noted! Thanks a lot Iceberg!

@TUBE: Mucho thanks! I'll work it out.

Here's a little update with some minor changes I made late last night...

PoPwip5.jpg

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    composition-wise, I like iceberg's rendition.

Updates look good, where I can spot them.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Here's an update with a brand-new composition! Thanks to Iceberg for the tip! ;-)

I added the 'King of Persia' image I wanted. As always, this is just a sketch. It was to get what the whole thing should look like.

PoPwip6.jpg

Tell me what you guys think!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Much much better.

Can you add some clue as to what the background will end up? The background is as important to flesh out as any other component of your composition.

It's looking to be a great piece.

iceberg on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Mucho thanks man.

I'm still not sure for the background, so, for the time being, I'm gonna continue with the line work. I was thinking of some dark colors for the middle and even darker colors for the bottom to make the glowing effects stick out more. For the top, I'm looking for something bright, like a well-lit sky as to create some neat light effects around the head. Mainly on his crown and the back of his head and neck.

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    more_cowbellmore_cowbell Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like the idea for your final, however, it just reminds me of the cover from Fable. Maybe its just me. Go for it anyway.

more_cowbell on
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
  • Options
    YellowHerbYellowHerb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like your composition, it sends along the message of duality very clearly to me.

And if it wasn't the message then forgive me. I don't know PoP story after Sands of Time.

YellowHerb on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I like the idea for your final, however, it just reminds me of the cover from Fable. Maybe its just me. Go for it anyway.

Really? Which one?

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg