As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles] The Incredible Shulk MARK YOUR GODDAMN SPOILERS

WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Social Entropy++
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Xc6in86rs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg&feature=player_embedded

Not especially related to the clusterfuck that is the Xeno series, this game has been out in Japan and PAL-land for yonks and yonks, but it's out in the US on the 6th! You can ONLY acquire it by pre-ordering it at a gamestop or via the nintendo store, but it looks to be well worth the inconvenience, given that it's rockin' a 92 on metacritic

The jist of the appeal is that it has a number of features that streamline many common complaints about JRPGs: save anywhere system, fast travel, intuitive combat (including a sword that reads the future and predicts a boss' special moves)

TALK ABOUT THIS GAME

WeedLordVegeta on

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    what the hell is this game

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options

Essentially what happens when a bunch of people decide to develop a SMART JRPG (mechanically, that is)

• Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    I played this game but only got like ten minutes in. The androgynous pink clad squeaky voice main character and intro cinematic about a magical giant techno sword kinda turned me off. I'll have to check it out for real though, people love it.

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I would like to buy this game but it is Gamestop exclusive and so I can't

out of moral obligation

also haha why would I buy a wii game

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

You get a sword that can predict the future, which can be used to save your ass in (real-time) combat.

That's not the only part to it but it is important to get it out there, this game is incredible.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    intriguing

• Options
    edited April 2012
    It's also a JRPG with fast travel a la bethesda games

Edit: and a save anywhere feature

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    ackack Registered User regular
    alright i ordered it

the exclusivity, the limited quantities ~~~

• Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    This game looks interesting.

Oh wait, it's only for the wii.

Well, crap.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Let me lay out the combat for you:
    It's up to 3 people in your active party at one point and there are no random encounters, every area in the game has an ecosystem filled with creatures. There's an option that is off by default that you should turn on that will give every creature an icon that colour-codes them to indicate their level in relation to yours, and the icon itself tells you whether an enemy will only attack in self-defense or whether it will attack you on sight/upon hearing you, etc.

What this means is that you battle when you want to, and a lot of areas will have enemies at your level, some powerful mini-boss enemies (that get this theme)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg

and sometimes there will be level 80 or 90 dudes that I suggest you stay the fuck away from. It's nice because it's more believable than an area only containing dudes at your level.

As for the combat itself, once you are in battle you move around freely and auto-attack when you are close to the target, while you press the d pad left and right to select special attacks known as 'arts'. And every character in this game has a unique combat style (and you can control any of them after a certain point), so your buddy Reyn is all about taking the hits and drawing attention from the main character Shulk, who has attacks that debuff when hitting an enemy from the side and a move that deals extra damage when hitting the enemy from behind, for example.

Also, there are no healing items, only healing arts, and health regenerates after battle so the focus is on tough individual fights instead of mildly challenging fights that wear you down. Once you learn the ins and outs of battle it becomes all about maintaining a rhythm, picking off weaker dudes and timing your arts wisely.

Bottom line you get a sword that can predict the future which you use to save your ass in combat.

And the fast travel is better than Bethesda games because you can do it into and out of dungeons and every area has multiple checkpoints to get you where you want.

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    the OP says you can only get it at gamestop, this is NOT TRUE

you can ALSO get it at the nintendo store

• Options
    the OP says you can only get it at gamestop, this is NOT TRUE

you can ALSO get it at the nintendo store
    noted

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    the nintendo store also has a bundle with a classic controller pro, it's $5 less than if you buy them separately but the shipping is so bullshit that you end up losing any savings.

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I imported this game when it hit pal regions last year, and holy fucking this game is phenomenal the combat the characters te story the world FUCK I love this game go buy it

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    This seems like single-player Japanese WoW and I am way into that.

The preorder receipt is in my wallet right now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    My only regret is that I won't be done with Persona 3 by Friday.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    spiky hair check

oversized swords check

ridiculous dialogue check

sign me the fuck up

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    some of those textures are pretty ps2 era

shameful

• Options
    Beasteh wrote: »

shameful

It's a Wii game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This game is right up my alley but I don't have a Wii.

• Options
    Everybody had a Wii 3 years ago now nobody has a Wii.

This is why you don't sell your consoles.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I like how this game has a protagonist that isn't a whiny teenager who acts dumb for comedy

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Remember when Xenosaga was supposed to be a 6 game series

How the hell was that going to work

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options

Well people were gonna buy the games so Namco was gonna keep funding development.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »

shameful

It's a Wii game.

Wii games can look better than that

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    It's a two year old Wii game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    You hear that Xenoblade? you can do better

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options

Well people were gonna buy the games so Namco was gonna keep funding development.

There was no way they'd have been able to get development on them all done within a single console generation though

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012

There was no way they'd have been able to get development on them all done within a single console generation though

Persona 4 came out in 2008 on the PS2. Xenosaga 1 came out pretty early in the PS2's life. It wasn't impossible for them to stretch it out. I mean just think how many goddamn .hack games there were on PS2.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Nobody wants to think about the .hack games

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    The graphics are certainly dated, and the faces often suffer from it.

But gosh darn it this game does wonders with what it has. There are a lot of beautiful areas in this game.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I will buy this game.

I will probably pass on Last Story though.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I wish I had the money to preorder this. Gonna have a hell of a time tracking this down once I can afford it. Thanks Nintendobama

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I'm really tempted to get this just because it looks neat.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Already ordered because this has been so hyped to be one of the best RPGs ever made, that I simply must get it. So Friday I will be sitting down in my little cave and playing it.

• Options
    Nobody wants to think about the .hack games

Get
    out

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    .hack 1 was okay, and then they wanted me to play it 3 more times and I was all 'fuck that noise'

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    xenoblade chronicles? you mean that game I've been playing for 6 months and paid less for then the US version would cost? yeah, it's really great. 8->

• Options
    Radius wrote: »
    .hack 1 was okay, and then they wanted me to play it 3 more times and I was all 'fuck that noise'

This is an acceptable statement, but the GU games were pretty goddamn rad