As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Topgear!!

Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I really, really love this programme and was interested in other people's views on it.

For those unenlightened people, whom I imagine are mostly foreigners, here is the website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/index.shtml

The basic premise is that the three presenters; Clarkson, Hammond and May take part in a challenge involving cars, today, turning cars into limos. The episode fillers are coverage of a new car, the news, and a star in a reasonable priced car.

I have to say my view of America is severly dimished after the episode with the road trip across the south.

Anarchy Rules! on

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have to say my view of America is severly dimished after the episode with the road trip across the south.

America's south?

how can your view of the American south be diminished? Did you think people were kidding?

No... it is not Scotland(or wales, whichever). It actually is horrible, and they really do fuck animals.

You wouldn't happen to know what episode that was or about when it aired?

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's a really fun show. The "star in a reasonably priced car" segment always bores me to death but everything else is great. I've got my DVR set up to record all episodes of it but I have not seen any pop up in months.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    redx wrote: »

America's south?

how can your view of the American south be diminished? Did you think people were kidding?

No... it is not Scotland(or wales, whichever). It actually is horrible, and they really do fuck animals.

I did think it was an exagerration, just like when I was younger I didn't think people could be so fundamentalist.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    That is what I expected from the south.

Obs on
  • Options
    PhilthePillPhilthePill Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

America's south?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iTsfZ9TnNE

The whole segment in all it's glory..

PhilthePill on
    I'm gonna sing the DOOM SONG now. DOOMY doom domm doom doom doom doom doom doom doomy doom-doom...
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    eeehhh... well they kinda played it up a little, I think.

and they kinda pussed out, which was pathetic.

but there is kinda a bit of truth to the idea that if you go looking to start a fight and piss people off in america, you can normally manage it.

Few yanks could do the exact same thing driving though London. Just change the text a bit, and you could get the same results.

redx on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ahehehe
    Hillary For President
    I think they meant to say 'Bible-thumping', not 'bashing'. A very resourceful use for Coke, though.

And I more or less agree with redx.

Gim on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    The only one I really liked was where they raced each other to a resort, one group taking the train and the other a car.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The America one was pretty hilarious. Not doing the tourist industry any favours for the US though.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Coldred wrote: »
    The America one was pretty hilarious. Not doing the tourist industry any favours for the US though.

No doubt, but who goes to the South on their vacation? The only reason people go there is if they have family there.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    well, they start off in Miami, which is south, but... not like... The South.

ohhh... god.

That's some scary shit. Wandering around Miami asking random folks on the street, "hey do you know where I can get a car for $1,000"

Pheeeww.... they talk about Alabama like it is dangerous.

Holy fuck... the one guy was driving 55mph on I-95? OMG!! they are fucking suicidal.

redx on
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The bit in New Orleans was pretty moving. I had no idea that things were still so bad over there, what's taking you guys so long to clean it all up?

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    the whole city was under water. Like, 2 square miles didn't flood. Basically have to rebuild the whole thing.

That takes a little bit.

edit:Yeah, just got to that bit. How they are like, we just drove 15 miles and all the home are still shitty. Like, those homes aren't getting fixed up, they are going to get torn down and rebuilt. The folks that lived there can't afford to do it, so they probably sold to developers and moved. Course, there is a housing glut right now, so the market is stagnant and it is probably therefore hard to convince investors that sub-sea level housing developments are a worthwhile place to put their money.

redx on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Coldred wrote: »

The bit in New Orleans was pretty moving. I had no idea that things were still so bad over there, what's taking you guys so long to clean it all up?

I'm suprised this didn't get more coverage, but:

one of the big networks did a "walking interview" with Ray Nagin as they walked around destroyed neighborhoods.

The problem is legal tape. He would like to just bulldoze/clean up all the properties, however, they can't even set foot on a property (with the intent to clean up) until they get the landowner's permission. And to do this they must track down the owners that have scattered to the seven winds, a lot of them without a trace.

And they can't just declare half the city "derelict" without raising a fuss and feeding the conspiracy theorists. "OMG u r just trying to get rid of the black people lawl"

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It seemed to me that the lady at the gas station was mostly pissed off because the tv show was insulting her home. The show took a stereotype of the south and then attempted to "prove" it true by pissing people off. It was the elistist, "holier than thou" stunt they were pulling that was obnoxious, not the message on the sides of their cars. It's stuff like this that makes the south pissed off at the north(and apparently england). I mean, imagine if you were her. I'd be pissed too.

And yeah, I'm sure you could find SOMEONE in the south that would beat you up over just being gay or black, but for the most part they are people.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So she and her friends attempt to prove they're not backward, inbred hicks by acting like backward, inbred hicks?

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It was a hilarious segment, although clearly staged, since while the 'group of thugs' was arriving to kill them and they were escaping one of the cars broke down. They then proceeded (while their lives were in peril from the thugs) to jump start the car. Rather than simply getting in a still functional car and escaping all together.

It was a great sequence, although nowhere near as good as the next weeks when they turned a morris minor into a space shuttle, or the week afters when they all bought tractors and grew biofuels :)

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    The NazariteThe Nazarite Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It seemed to me that the lady at the gas station was mostly pissed off because the tv show was insulting her home. The show took a stereotype of the south and then attempted to "prove" it true by pissing people off. It was the elistist, "holier than thou" stunt they were pulling that was obnoxious, not the message on the sides of their cars. It's stuff like this that makes the south pissed off at the north(and apparently england). I mean, imagine if you were her. I'd be pissed too.

And yeah, I'm sure you could find SOMEONE in the south that would beat you up over just being gay or black, but for the most part they are people.

I got that impression too.

The Nazarite on
  • Options
    SumalethSumaleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love me some Top Gear. And I'm not a car person.

I'm sure these have been posted somewhere around these labyrinthine forums, but here is the the two-part "shuttle" segment from a couple of weeks back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AwVnfo_3Sk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOc1mjH9bKQ

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you make television.

--

Re alabama:

Being pissed off for an obnoxious stunt is to lack a sense of humor, but calling "the boys" is just plain pandering to stereotypes.

Not one of TG's best clips though.

Sumaleth on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was actually kind of dissappointed in those brits.

IT would ahve been so much more effective with a simple "Tecumseh Sherman is my Hero."

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    StephenB.2006StephenB.2006 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So then the lil guy who was in the 200+ mph accident is alright? Thank goodness. I was worried that show would disappear. I don't think SPEED shows it any more, though. Hey, UK people! Record that for me! I'll trade you a bunch of Scrubs episodes for it.

StephenB.2006 on
    An object at rest cannot be stopped!
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The caravan trip episode is still one of my favorites.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    So then the lil guy who was in the 200+ mph accident is alright? Thank goodness. I was worried that show would disappear. I don't think SPEED shows it any more, though. Hey, UK people! Record that for me! I'll trade you a bunch of Scrubs episodes for it.

Oh yeah, the near-fatal accident was the bulk of this season's first episode. I'd imagine it's on youtube.

The america episode was both hilarious and terrifying. Clarkson installing a shower above the drivers seat of his car was far more amusing than it really ought to have been.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I love this show. The first one I ever watched was the one about the racing on the track from some game, and I originally thought it was a video game show. Still smashing.

Edit: The reveal of the last slogan is simply glorious. "I have felt less conspicuous" Also, the explanations of why the slogans are so offensive.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yeah, I love this show. The first one I ever watched was the one about the racing on the track from some game, and I originally thought it was a video game show. Still smashing.

That would've been Laguna Seca as compared with Gran Turismo.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Steamboat WilleySteamboat Willey Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Top Gear has been my favourite TV show for years. (I used to watch it in its original format back in the days of Tony Mason and Chris Goffey!)

The most recent series has been awesome. Although testing cars seems to come second place to daft stunts these days it is a brilliantly entertaining show. Its a shame the series was so short. Its only been, what, 10 episodes? Mind you, I'm leaving the country for three months in a week's time and I wouldn't want to miss the show.

As for the American episode, well the only part of the US I have visited was Alabama and I have to say, most of the people there didn't come across as well-travelled intellectuals.

Steamboat Willey on
    Its all good fun until someone loses an eye.
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've just begun to love this show now after watching the American Road Trip Episode on youtube via friend's recommendation. That youtube video has been taken down, sadly.. especially since there's no DVDs. Now a regular viewer.

It's Episode 3 of Series 9 for those interested in looking it up elsewhere. It's a FANTASTIC introduction to the series.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I know a lot more people that have started watching Top Gear in recent years, where I'm thinking the focus really shifted to the challenges/stunts rather than actual car reviews and such. I'm not a car person by any means, so I really don't care for the supercar reviews but the other features just keep me coming back now.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I know a lot more people that have started watching Top Gear in recent years, where I'm thinking the focus really shifted to the challenges/stunts rather than actual car reviews and such. I'm not a car person by any means, so I really don't care for the supercar reviews but the other features just keep me coming back now.

I've actually got back into it recently. Oddly, it's because I was sitting playing on my computer on a sunday evening and kept hearing my wife screaming with laughter so I ended up migrating back through to the living room to see what all the fuss was about. She loves Top Gear, couldn't give a toss about cars but finds the presenters hilarious. So at least I haven't 'married my mother', because she thinks Jeremy Clarkson is an obnoxious git.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well she may have a point there, but he's an entertaining obnoxious git. He's the guy you want to lose when they have the challenges, which makes it all the more fun.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    HubHub Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I cant seem to find the video where Clarkson is in a SUV being chased by a tank, it was glorious!

Hub on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hub wrote: »
    I cant seem to find the video where Clarkson is in a SUV being chased by a tank, it was glorious!

As glorious as the episode where he was in a Lotus Exige (I think) being chased by an Apache helicopter?

Or the one where he was in something else (A porsche maybe) being shot at by the army on a firing range (with those light sensor guns naturally, not live rounds)?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Safety StickSafety Stick Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The stuff with the military is always grand. I'm not a big car person but the show is entertaining enough to watch on its own merits (Who can't appreciate a chainsaw to the cool wall?).

Was it me or was this the shortest season yet? Five episodes or so? Guess Hammond's accident screwed up the scheduling but it seems the runs get shorter every time.

Oh well, roll on Summer.

Safety Stick on
    5075110276_cc4230e361.jpg
    My other sig sucks as well...
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's over? Damn, it seemed like just a couple of weeks ago I was awaiting its comeback.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMrqsnK0eh8

The Toyota Hilux... The worlds hardiest car. Best Top Gear section ever
    The engine still ran after the fire

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMrqsnK0eh8

The Toyota Hilux... The worlds hardiest car. Best Top Gear section ever
    The engine still ran after the fire

Not to mention
    -Getting drowned in high tide
    -Putting the truck on top of a 20 story building before it's demolished

Personally, I thought the best episode was the race from Italy to England with Clarkson in a Bugatti Veryron vs Hampster and May in a Cessna and then a Eurostar.

One thing that really attracts me to Top Gear isn't just the presenters, but the cinematography. Every review is filmed like a car commercial, which emphasizes the sexiness and appeal of the vehicle's design, rather than just focusing on pure specifications. Just watching a BMW M5 take the curves along the shores of the Isle of Man gives me a sense of how awesome automotive design is when placed in a environment that suits it.

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • Options
    SumalethSumaleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, the cinematography is top shelf. And digital too.

The shuttle segment is my fave.

Sumaleth on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    One of my all time favourites was when they had to convert cars into boats. That was absolutely hilarious, especially when Hammond's Campervan-canal boat started taking on water and sank.

And, just remembering when they had to grow their own petrol, Clarkson got bored of ploughing with a tractor, so used explosives instead.

I wonder how big their budget is

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I know I'm in the minority, but I'm really turned off by Top Gear. (Huzzah! pun!)

It seems in recent years that the focus has shifted from reviewing supercars to coming up with stunts. The show can be funny, but seeing the same dry British delivery over and over again wears on me a bit. The "if it's American, it's crap." attitude also becomes a little annoying - which, to be fair, they've started to shy away from in recent years.

The cinematography is outstanding though. I guess I just percieve an "upturned nose" which wears on me quite a bit.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wonder how big their budget is

Well, when you can afford to send up a ROCKET, you have what I would class as a BIG budget...

;-)

I think the Hammond Crash ep got higher ratings than the big brother eviction during the whole "racist" debacle. If you're in the UK, you know how big a deal that is. I dont think that budget is an issue for them these days.

The boat one was my fav too... Oh, except when they parked that boeing on a runway, gunned the engine, then drove a Citroen 2CV into the Jets wash... That thing 'sploded! Glorious.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]