As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arizona] says, you're pregnant for up to two weeks before you're pregnant.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    Donnicton wrote:
    -snip-

In extending her support for the legislation, however, sponsor Nancy Barto, a Republican senator representing the Phoenix, Arizona area says that fetuses are able to feel pain after the 20-week mark. Also favoring the proposal, Senator Steve Smith (R-Maricopa) adds that lawmakers also need to consider “the 50 million-plus children who have been killed” since the US Supreme Court legalized abortion in Roe v Wade.

"I would like to listen to the 50 million-plus children that have been aborted and killed since Roe v. Wade,'' the senator says."I would like to listen to what they think of this bill.''

-snip-
    Senator Steve Smith. Sir. Steve, can I call you Steve?

You wouldn't have been able to hear the opinions of most of those 50 million children, because if your party had it's way? It would have let most of them die from treatable medical conditions and let them starve to death because you would deny them health insurance and assistance.

The Republican party talks loud and large about protecting life when they'll force a woman to give birth and then just walk away and let the baby die.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote:
    -snip-

In extending her support for the legislation, however, sponsor Nancy Barto, a Republican senator representing the Phoenix, Arizona area says that fetuses are able to feel pain after the 20-week mark. Also favoring the proposal, Senator Steve Smith (R-Maricopa) adds that lawmakers also need to consider “the 50 million-plus children who have been killed” since the US Supreme Court legalized abortion in Roe v Wade.

"I would like to listen to the 50 million-plus children that have been aborted and killed since Roe v. Wade,'' the senator says."I would like to listen to what they think of this bill.''

-snip-

You wouldn't have been able to hear the opinions of most of those 50 million children, because if your party had it's way? It would have let most of them die from treatable medical conditions and let them starve to death because you would deny them health insurance and assistance.

The Republican party talks loud and large about protecting life when they'll force a woman to give birth and then just walk away and let the baby die.

Pretty much. There was a whole tizzy a while back about some right-wing Pro-Life group that was endorsing the EPAs new mercury disposal guidelines because exposure to mercury in the womb can lead to deformities in infants. A whole bunch of prominent national Republicans began to quietly but publicly pressure them to back off of their endorsement because "Pro-life does not concern itself with quality of life, simply life itself". It was laughably crazy.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    If a woman is assaulted or killed in Arizona now, would the attacker be charged with causing quantum miscarriage?

Burden of proof on the defendant to prove that she wasn't pregnant, the natural state of women that god intended.

And honestly if she wasn't pregnant then she was a whore so no big loss.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote:
    -snip-

-snip-

Pretty much. There was a whole tizzy a while back about some right-wing Pro-Life group that was endorsing the EPAs new mercury disposal guidelines because exposure to mercury in the womb can lead to deformities in infants. A whole bunch of prominent national Republicans began to quietly but publicly pressure them to back off of their endorsement because "Pro-life does not concern itself with quality of life, simply life itself". It was laughably crazy.

I think the idea is that as long as the baby is baptized the child is supposed to starve and take it like a champion because he or she is saved.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    and labels Antarctica some sort of thermodynamic Gomorrah.

It isn't?

And Jesus, Arizona is the absolute worst state, isn't it?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I just mentioned this to my wife, and she had an interesting point. Determining the date of conception isn't all that accurate (it can be plus/minus a week or two). So from a policy point of view, if you have to pick an arbitrary day, one that a woman is likely to know pretty well would seem to make sense, even if the implications of it are very o_O inducing. On the other hand, just because she knows that date doesn't mean she can't lie about it to push back that 18-week ban to at least 19-weeks or so...

So it's still pretty stupid.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    I just mentioned this to my wife, and she had an interesting point. Determining the date of conception isn't all that accurate (it can be plus/minus a week or two). So from a policy point of view, if you have to pick an arbitrary day, one that a woman is likely to know pretty well would seem to make sense, even if the implications of it are very o_O inducing. On the other hand, just because she knows that date doesn't mean she can't lie about it to push back that 18-week ban to at least 19-weeks or so...

So it's still pretty stupid.

But the point of that date is that it's easier to determine medically. So even if she lies, the doctors can say, "well our medical evidence suggests that date is actually this, so you're over the deadline."

Because conservatives are just so trusting of scientific evidence.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Honestly, the more I look at this, the less awful this sounds. Doctors either use ultrasound (accuracy within a week in the first trimester) or LMP to determine date of conception anyway. This is basically just republicans doing a "clever" accounting trick to shave two weeks off the supposed 20-week ban.

edit: that part is still awful though, don't get me wrong. Just more in a "business as usual" way.

Sticks on
  • Options
    What if two weeks after the first day of the mother’s last menstrual period, you changed your mind and didn't conceive a child? That's thoughtcrime!

We need to protect the idea of conceiving a child from thoughtabortionists!

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    How do you deal with women who aren't regular with this bill?

For instance, a woman who can go months between periods? "Oh, you had your last period in October? But you didn't have any sex until December? Its very likely that by the time you find out you're pregnant, you'll be over their "20-weeks since last period" standard. Even if you're only 8 weeks in reality.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    I love hyperbole too, but honestly, either the she is pregnant or not. No one is going to get prosecuted for murdering a child that hasn't been conceived yet.

Even if republicans controlled literally everything.

Even if the craziest fundies you could find controlled literally everything.

The number of people that would find that reasonable are so ridiculously slim, it's not worth talking about.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    InkSplat wrote: »

For instance, a woman who can go months between periods? "Oh, you had your last period in October? But you didn't have any sex until December? Its very likely that by the time you find out you're pregnant, you'll be over their "20-weeks since last period" standard. Even if you're only 8 weeks in reality.

Two months?

Some people go for more like half years or longer in between periods.

It's not exactly rare, and I doubt any legal entities would deal with it as a separate case.

• Options
    Oh, there's also the case of women who continue menstruating throughout part (or all?) of their pregnancy albeit lightly. Women sure are weird sometimes.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Gestational age reset button whoo!

• Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular

Yeah, this was my immediate thought too. There are sooo many women who have irregular periods.

I'm guessing the Republicans partly don't care and partly are simply completely ignorant about "that icky woman health stuff."

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Terrible. Can't we just kick Arizona out?

sig.gif
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    The next step is that all women will be required to submit written requisition forms before having sex, and keep a written log after the act. The log must contain information about duration, location, and position, as well as pictures of the act.

Also, all sanitary napkins and tampons must be sent to the newly created Department of Menstruation in a time-stamped courier package.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    Jurg wrote: »
    Terrible. Can't we just kick Arizona out?

Unfortunately, my parents are about to move there, purely to get away from Chicago winters.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    LadyM wrote: »

Yeah, this was my immediate thought too. There are sooo many women who have irregular periods.

I'm guessing the Republicans partly don't care and partly are simply completely ignorant about "that icky woman health stuff."

Yeah, I went back and forth in my mind before realizing it's likely a combination of the two (or, some people don't care and others are ignorant and many others are ignorant and wouldn't care if they weren't.)

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Can I just say that Thermodynamic Gomorrah would be a cool band name too?

......!!!

Schrodinger's Thermodynamic Gomorran Fetus!!!

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular

Well, those women usually have PCOS and have a lot of trouble getting pregnant- they usually need fertility treatment, because during that whole time that they're not menstruating, they're also not ovulating, so you have a pretty good idea when they got pregnant due to the fertility treatment or IVF used. (Also, if you know any women like this who AREN'T taking hormone therapy or the pill to make their cycles regular, they should see a doctor and start because they are at risk for endometrial cancer and a few other things). In cases where it is uncertain we just use early 1st trimester ultrasound which is accurate to within a day or two if there is no growth abnormality. The reason we use LMP instead of ultrasound for most women is 1) because there might be growth abnormalities and we want to know if gestational age doesn't line up with ultrasound-determined embryonic age, and 2) because early ultrasounds are still not standard of care (although very common these days).

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular

I'm sure Repubs will blame birth control for the irregularities and then use it to ban birth control itself.

• Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Well, those women usually have PCOS and have a lot of trouble getting pregnant

Uh, no. There are a lot of women who don't have PCOS who have irregular periods.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I am never going to Arizona, like, I really want to see the Grand Canyon, but there's google.

These people are fucking nuts.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This thread is all kinds of awesome. I opened it expecting something funny...and boy, did it deliver. Arizona is really my favorite state.

zeeny on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular

Uh, no. There are a lot of women who don't have PCOS who have irregular periods.

Irregular as in 28 days one cycle, 32 the next, or irregular as in frequently goes several months without menstruating? I was talking about the latter, since it was what was used as an example. Women with periods that vary in length by more than 10 days very likely are not actually ovulating and very likely have PCOS. Also, considering that somewhere from 6 to 12% of women have PCOS, and that many of them will have irregular periods, it is definitely the most common cause (in reproductive age women).

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Arizona is also the state from which Bella Swan hails.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh shit. My girlfriend is Pregant.

Thanks Arizona.

I can't imagine this will last as worded. Especially since Pregnancy doesn't even work like that.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Thanks Arizona.

I can't imagine this will last as worded. Especially since Pregnancy doesn't even work like that.

As has been repeatedly noted, it is not uncommon in medical contexts to use date of last menstruation to calculate length of pregnancy. Yes, this does mean that a deadline worded as twenty weeks effectively becomes eighteen. But this "hurf durf every girl is pregnant right now" bullshit is just dumb. I mean, yeah sometimes it's fun to be snarky but that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.

And yes, I say this even given my first post in this thread (which was one of the first posts total). But see, then other people brought up salient points in other posts, and I read those posts, and now it actually makes a bit of sense.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Georgia pretty much passed this same law. Actually, Georgia in general is about equally or even more crazy then Arizona.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    mcdermott wrote: »

Thanks Arizona.

As has been repeatedly noted, it is not uncommon in medical contexts to use date of last menstruation to calculate length of pregnancy. Yes, this does mean that a deadline worded as twenty weeks effectively becomes eighteen. But this "hurf durf every girl is pregnant right now" bullshit is just dumb. I mean, yeah sometimes it's fun to be snarky but that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.

And yes, I say this even given my first post in this thread (which was one of the first posts total). But see, then other people brought up salient points in other posts, and I read those posts, and now it actually makes a bit of sense.

See part of the problem is that you can't tell whether it's worded out of stupidity, or worded deliberately in order to be abused later despite what they claim to be the "intended meaning"(read: SOPA).

With what they've been doing with policies in Arizona lately(see: Arizona's H.B. 2549, Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona -> Pro PROTECT IP, also potentially one of the candidates who was responsible for killing a bill to protect whistleblowers), I really think it's not so much borne of stupidity as it is that they have some sort of plan in mind to abuse the hell out of this thing.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So does this mean potential immigrants don't need to have anchor babies in Arizona, they just have to be 2 weeks pre-pregnant?

izzyb on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

Irregular as in 28 days one cycle, 32 the next, or irregular as in frequently goes several months without menstruating? I was talking about the latter, since it was what was used as an example. Women with periods that vary in length by more than 10 days very likely are not actually ovulating and very likely have PCOS. Also, considering that somewhere from 6 to 12% of women have PCOS, and that many of them will have irregular periods, it is definitely the most common cause (in reproductive age women).

Man you know there are like 4 versions of the pill that give you 4 periods a year right?

It isn't irregular, but it isn't 12 times a year.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

-.-

Well, Roe v Wade was in 1970~, if memory serves. So that's about 40 years ago.

Divide 50,000,000 by 40, we get about 1,250,000 alleged abortions per year. And I think I' being pretty generous to the senator by rounding-off numbers here & there.

Hey Senator Retard from Arizona: the next time you pull a number right out of your asshole, it probably shouldn't be one that looks insanely high at a cursory glance.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular

My wife would sometimes go 2 months, sometimes 1, sometimes 3, between periods. She's currently 19-weeks pregnant without any sort of therapy.

So, we'd have potentially been in trouble in Arizona. Not that it would have actually been an issue, but theoretically.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Huh. The CDC verifies the senator's 50 million figure, so I guess he wasn't pulling it out of his ass.

That seems ludicrously high to me, considering the birth rate in the U.S. I'm curious about how their reporting system operates.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    I love hyperbole too, but honestly, either the she is pregnant or not. No one is going to get prosecuted for murdering a child that hasn't been conceived yet.

Your naive optimism is genuinely adorable.

What you're missing here is that the "since her last period" is (as psyck0 already mentioned) the way doctors determine gestational age of a fetus. Doctors do not think a woman was actually pregnant from her last period onward. They are trying to judge how far along the pregnancy is, and so they count milestones/dates/development from a point that is easier to determine than "when did you conceive." It's certainly true that some women may know when they conceived, but, how do I put this, there are actually women who have sex more than once during their fertile interval.

The problem is that this MEDICAL definition is being ported to a LEGAL definition. When did a woman become pregnant? Why, right after her last period stopped. Says so right here in the law, so that's the definition we must use.

Now, it's certainly true that this law isn't going to be used to prosecute a woman who was NEVER pregnant, or for killing a woman who was NEVER pregnant. But let's say (as has happened in plenty of places) that a prosecutor wants to go after a slutty slut slut who just had a baby for using cocaine when she was pregnant. There's evidence that she used cocaine right after her period. Huzzah, legally she was pregnant then!

Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Huh. The CDC verifies the senator's 50 million figure, so I guess he wasn't pulling it out of his ass.

That seems ludicrously high to me, considering the birth rate in the U.S. I'm curious about how their reporting system operates.

He says aborted AND killed and doesn't specify solely american children. At least that kind of loopholing is the only way I can see it working.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »

Seemsto come from this study.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1363/4304111/asset/4304111.pdf;jsessionid=E3AF3CCC564DE2BED2FC933050198CB3.d01t04?v=1&t=h0s97d79&s=b0f80ceb1b32f73904109e2e5fa3f6334e8a4714

• Options
    Yeah okay looking at it 50 million abortions seems right.

I also still don't care. Hell I killed 50 million potential kids this morning