As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jack Bros./Shin Megami Tensei] - P4G is out! Have you Social Linked yet?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    All I can help with on DSO is that I remember only being in the late 70's when I beat the 8th Day. So it might be pretty painful to grind out five more levels on top of what you've got.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Ninten wrote: »
    The only boss causing me trouble was Beldr from Devil Survivor. I seriously gave up playing the game for a day or maybe two.

I don't know, Nocturne was like the 3rd SMT game that I've finished and besides some frustrating parts (Box pushing mini game) I really had no difficulty with it.

I think I was just too damn lucky to have Null Force on the MC and an Uzume in my party against the Matador. I won against him the first try, but damn, I had like 0-10 HP left.

Also, one does not simply forget the usefulness of Dark/Bright Might. Those REALLY help a lot during 80% of the game.

I'm not too proud to admit that once those started taking longer than a few minutes to figure out I looked up the solutions. I probably wouldn't have done this if I could have saved in between puzzles, but that wasn't an option...

Is Beldr really that hard? I admit I was hitting the EXP cap pretty much all the time. I found that fight rather easy, though I pretty much ignored everything but Beldr.

I think I'm misquoted somehow. I was talking about the block moving puzzle in Nocturne that gets you a Magatama.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The only boss causing me trouble was Beldr from Devil Survivor. I seriously gave up playing the game for a day or maybe two.

I don't know, Nocturne was like the 3rd SMT game that I've finished and besides some frustrating parts (Box pushing mini game) I really had no difficulty with it.

I think I was just too damn lucky to have Null Force on the MC and an Uzume in my party against the Matador. I won against him the first try, but damn, I had like 0-10 HP left.

Also, one does not simply forget the usefulness of Dark/Bright Might. Those REALLY help a lot during 80% of the game.

I'm not too proud to admit that once those started taking longer than a few minutes to figure out I looked up the solutions. I probably wouldn't have done this if I could have saved in between puzzles, but that wasn't an option...

Is Beldr really that hard? I admit I was hitting the EXP cap pretty much all the time. I found that fight rather easy, though I pretty much ignored everything but Beldr.

I think I'm misquoted somehow. I was talking about the block moving puzzle in Nocturne that gets you a Magatama.

I was really directing that at Ninten, but I quoted the whole tree.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Reynolds wrote: »
    All I can help with on DSO is that I remember only being in the late 70's when I beat the 8th Day. So it might be pretty painful to grind out five more levels on top of what you've got.

I finally managed it. It wasn't as painful as I thought. There's still a minimum EXP you can earn, even with your EXP capped.

I'm level 85 now, with 94% of my Compendium complete. I *should* have every demon except for "special" ones, so I should earn that title I mentioned earlier. I'm gonna go (finally) beat the game now, so I guess I'll find out soon!

Drez on
  • Options
    NintenNinten Registered User regular

You know how Devil Survivor can get a bit insane at times. I think that was the first sign of that.

• Options

You know how Devil Survivor can get a bit insane at times. I think that was the first sign of that.

Yeah, that's true.

Also, I finally beat Devil Survivor!

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Beldr can be rough if you're leveling your dude the way you should be, which means not touching your strength stat ever.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Beldr can be rough if you're leveling your dude the way you should be, which means not touching your strength stat ever.

Doesn't Phys Repel require 15 str? I would say that's useful for the MC.

• Options
    Eh. Physical is pretty weak in Devil Survivor. I just got my Strength to 8 for Holy Dance things die so fast they can't hurt you anyway.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    What's the likelihood of a Devil Survivor. 2: Overclocked release?

• Options
    Eh. Physical is pretty weak in Devil Survivor. I just got my Strength to 8 for Holy Dance things die so fast they can't hurt you anyway.

I loved Deathbound in Devil Survivor.

• Options

That is a good mid-tier skill. Multi-Strike probably has the highest damage output of any skill if you have high St/Ag.

Megidolaodon is a lazy skill. So I like it.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    In DS1 things never rocked anti almighty, so holy dance/megidolaon cleaned up.

In DS2 every fight they feel like being a dick about rocks anti almighty while being strong or more against everything :P. Just hit the wednesday ng+ boss, and I honestly do not know if I can beat it with just one inherited demon, since I chose to bring my holy dance nuking tyrant along, instead of a physical powerhouse.

• Options
    Just finished The Demon Slayer.

It was okay, there might be worse games in the series, but at least the soundtrack was pretty good.

And as far as GB/GBC RPGs goes, this one is by far one of the best.

• Options

That is a good mid-tier skill. Multi-Strike probably has the highest damage output of any skill if you have high St/Ag.

Megidolaodon is a lazy skill. So I like it.
    Oh, right, Drez, you played Overclocked. They added a bunch of physical skills to make it actually viable in that one. In the original, Deathbound was as good as it got.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So long Chie's voice actress who we originally disliked and wound up loving. You'll be missed.

cMrJM.jpg

She's been replaced for Arena by Erin 'Erica/Midnight Venus' Fitzgerald apparently.

They say she can pull it off, so I'll try to positive thinking.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    I thought Fitzgerald did a great job as Erica, so I'm hopeful.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    NichM says she's great, so I'll believe it.

They just better not lose the VA for Mitsuru/Elizabeth. Her, JYB(for Narukami), and Liam O'Brian for Akihiko. Everyone else, not worried.

Those three are irreplaceable.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Hey, loved this part in DDS2. Easier than the tag game with Dante.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAcEJyI0V1g

• Options
    Does anyone remember in DS1 when the first battle with infinite spawns occurs? I'm going for the "no free battles" title, but EXP gain leaves a bit to be desired.

• Options
    I do recall the only infinite spawn battle you can powergrind properly on is with naoya, once you picked a path opposing him.

I think miasmas show up on day 3 or 4 though, and I guess you can technically use those as well.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Man, I am having a blast with DS2. Something clicked with this one and I'm being a hell of a lot smarter than I was with DS1. Makes me want to go back and finish it after I'm done here. Currently running with Keita/Hinako as my phys fighters and Otome and the hero as my magic users. The day four final fight looks like it's going to be interesting.

• Options
    The day 4 final fight is the one that caused me most trouble in practice, even if some later fights are even more bullshit in concept.

• Options
    Advice, please:

DS1:
    I'm going for the no free battles/unkillable titles (for those with non-3DS DS1, that means you cannot participate in free battles and none of your human team leaders can die in the entirety of the game.

I'm trying to pick the best route to close this out. I've already finished Yuzu's shitty route (through Day 8). I'm thinking I'll do Gin's route this time? The title unlocks at the end of the entire route - whether you decide to go into Day 8 or not. Gin doesn't even have a Day 8.

I do have some level 80+ demons (six of them). I managed to farm enough Macca and EXP so that my MC is level 60+ something. But I don't have two strong demons for my fourth team member (I only carried over four demons from my first playthrough and purchased two more from my compendium).

Is Gin's route doable for me?

If not, any suggestions on which route I should choose? I could do Yuzu's shitty route and skip Day 8 if worse comes to worst.

• Options
    Oh and I bought Devil Survivor 2. I guess I'll run through all these routes in DS:O first but then it's on to the sequel!

• Options
    Advice, please:

DS1:
    I'm going for the no free battles/unkillable titles (for those with non-3DS DS1, that means you cannot participate in free battles and none of your human team leaders can die in the entirety of the game.

I'm trying to pick the best route to close this out. I've already finished Yuzu's shitty route (through Day 8). I'm thinking I'll do Gin's route this time? The title unlocks at the end of the entire route - whether you decide to go into Day 8 or not. Gin doesn't even have a Day 8.

I do have some level 80+ demons (six of them). I managed to farm enough Macca and EXP so that my MC is level 60+ something. But I don't have two strong demons for my fourth team member (I only carried over four demons from my first playthrough and purchased two more from my compendium).

If not, any suggestions on which route I should choose? I could do Yuzu's shitty route and skip Day 8 if worse comes to worst.
    With those demons gins route will be a joke really. Assuming you cracked victory cry/anti all/holy dance for the main he can solo all of day 7 assuming you made sure he got decent amounts of exp throughout the game. And it is probably the best route for that achievement if it stops at day 7.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    I'm weird. I loved Nocturne, and DDS 1&2 by extension are pretty cool--I just haven't finished them. But Persona? Too much high school/relationship stuff. Not my bag.

HERESY!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Honestly. I'm kinda of the same mind at this point. P3 was good at the time, then P4 came out, but I REALLY hope P5 doesn't have social links. It's GONNA, I can tell. But I wish it didn't.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Advice, please:

DS1:

With those demons gins route will be a joke really. Assuming you cracked victory cry/anti all/holy dance for the main he can solo all of day 7 assuming you made sure he got decent amounts of exp throughout the game. And it is probably the best route for that achievement if it stops at day 7.
    Thanks!

Also, I'm not really sure where to crack Anti-All? I haven't seen it show up as a crackable skill yet. I have Anti-Most and Phys Repel on my MC, though, so Anti-All would be a second character skill, I guess.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Advice, please:

DS1:

Thanks!

Also, I'm not really sure where to crack Anti-All? I haven't seen it show up as a crackable skill yet. I have Anti-Most and Phys Repel on my MC, though, so Anti-All would be a second character skill, I guess.
    I can't remember where I got anti-all in DS1 sadly, but arguably anti most+repel phys is better.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Honestly. I'm kinda of the same mind at this point. P3 was good at the time, then P4 came out, but I REALLY hope P5 doesn't have social links. It's GONNA, I can tell. But I wish it didn't.

I'm fine with social links, I just hope that in P5 they're at least
    1-Easier
    2-More beneficial to you in battle
    3-Involve more major characters than civvie NPCs

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind if simply hanging out with a link was enough to rank up. Hanging out with someone and getting the "you had fun! You feel as though your bond with level up soon!" message got annoying.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    NichM says she's great, so I'll believe it.

They just better not lose the VA for Mitsuru/Elizabeth. Her, JYB(for Narukami), and Liam O'Brian for Akihiko. Everyone else, not worried.

Those three are irreplaceable.

It's going to be awkward for Johnny Yong Bosch to talk to himself whenever MC and Adachi talk to each other.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Well, I was talking about the P4A dub. It seems to be a crap shoot that the anime's getting anyone from the game's cast.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I'm weird. I loved Nocturne, and DDS 1&2 by extension are pretty cool--I just haven't finished them. But Persona? Too much high school/relationship stuff. Not my bag.

HERESY!

This literally crazy talk.

Social links is basically what distinguishes Persona from then rest of the Shin Megami Tensei titles these days so I doubt they'd scrap them.
    I'd love for the main characters in Persona 5 to be older this time (college age) but even if they're not, I'm still gonna buy the shit out of this game and I'm probably gonna buy a PS 3 just for it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Social Links are awesome. Instead of doing away with them, they should flesh them out. Most are just too predictable.

I still think it would be cool if they made a game where you played as a Strega-like group, and your links were clients.

sig.gif
  • Options
    That is such a cool idea.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    If they keep social links (which it is clear they are going to), I would like to see more that actually play into the story except at the end boss. Even just making the main party ones all automatically level up or something like that.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm surprised they don't, considering how much other Megaten games use different paths.

Also, DeMoN, thank you for complimenting that idea. I just don't think they'd ever do it because 1)I don't think Persona would let you be the bad guy and 2)I don't think they'd make a Persona game you couldn't 100%.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    At the least I do hope the cast in 5 is a little older.

Didn't they say Catherine was the best selling Atlus game? Maybe they were testing the waters.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
This discussion has been closed.