As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Photoshop license/upgrade question

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
If I buy the Photoshop suite, do I get upgrades for free, or do I have to repurchase/pay for an upgrade every time there is a new, major version number?

How does that work?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Each major new version (CS3/4/5, etc) is a separate product that you would need to purchase again if you wanted the newest version. I believe they usually offer a discounted price option for the new version if you own a previous version. Some info about that is here: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq/upgrade-policy.html and the link in that page to the upgrade policy faq.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You have to pay for upgrades, not nearly as much as buying it at full price. CS5 to CS6 will be $150.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Thanks.

And Christ that is an expensive suite.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Well, I don't suggest upgrading for every version unless you're working with suppliers that are always running the latest software.

• Options
    Alpha17xAlpha17x Registered User new member
    If its a normal patch or update like a bug fix then it's free and comes in through the updated, but if it's a feature update or something like going from CS5 to CS5.5 where they added context sensitive fill, you're going to be paying for it. Bug fixes are free, feature additions cost money.
    Drez wrote:
    If I buy the Photoshop suite, do I get upgrades for free, or do I have to repurchase/pay for an upgrade every time there is a new, major version number?

How does that work?

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i know a ton of local printers still using CS4 (or older) for software, at least in the raster/vector graphics department.

you can probably stick with CS4 or 5 for a while yet, unless you need the absolute bleeding edge for some reason.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    I used photoshop 5 for 10 years.

Just bout cs5 and will probably use that for another 10.

• Options
    Maybe I'll wait until CS6 comes out and then buy that.