As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii + Roxio = DVD Playback (fall '07)

mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm not sure if this warrants a whole new thread, but with no megathread I'm gonna throw it out there to be noted upon, and ultimately languish and die ...
GoNintendo wrote:

We all know that a new version of the Wii will be coming at some point, this version featuring DVD playback. Reader ChickenSandwich emailed Nintendo to try and get some more info, and were sent this response.
Nintendo wrote:
Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

I appreciate your taking the time to share your comments and suggestions with us. Rest assured that they will be forwarded to the appropriate department for further review.

Also, as you know, Nintendo and Sonic Solutions have made an agreement to allow Nintendo the use of Sonic Solutions’ DVD technology in a future version of the Wii console. However, launch details, like where (regions or countries) it will sell, release date, or price (although it will be more expensive than the original version) are currently unavailable and won’t be revealed until sometime in the latter half of 2007. It will not be available as an add-on attachment.

For those who already own a DVD player at home, the launch version of Wii will be the best choice. This version of the console is more affordable and you’ll be able to enjoy Wii games immediately.

At least we now have some idea when we will hear more on this project.

So it appears that in fall '07 or winter '07 there will be a new Wii version hitting shelves that has DVD playback built in. But something struck me as weird ... they're going with a company named Sonic Solutions to offer DVD playback. Sonic Solutions' consumer arm is better known to all of us as Roxio.

Well, here's what I'm wondering ... is this really going to be restricted to new consoles? After all, Roxio isn't a hardware company. The only DVD decoders they make are software decoders. Maybe it's the wishful thinker in me, but maybe there's a chance that this DVD player will also be released as a pay-for channel on the VC?

266.jpg
mausmalone on

• Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow... this is pretty goddamned ridiculous...

I mean if they make it updatable via VC then hooray, but if the only way I'll be able to get my Wii to play DVD's is by buying a new one I'm gonna be pissed.

Filler Inc. on
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Who the fuck doesn't have a DVD player anymore? Seriously, why is this an issue anymore?

Alpine on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's entirely possible, all the Wii needs is the CSS codes or whatever the fuck they're called to "unlock" the DVD encryption. And some kind of interface to control the DVD. All do-able in a download.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't see why they couldn't make it a download. the drive in there is already a dvd drive no? all it needs is licensing and decoder software?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    I don't see why they couldn't make it a download. the drive in there is already a dvd drive no? all it needs is licensing and decoder software?
    The DVD forum requires all DVD players have optical audio out now. The Wii does not have optical audio out. Thus the DVD forum will not grant Nintendo a license to use the current Wii to play DVDs.

deadonthestreet on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Alpine wrote: »
    Who the fuck doesn't have a DVD player anymore? Seriously, why is this an issue anymore?

I've got at least 4, but two are computers, one is my PS2, and the other is a shitty CyberHome one. The computers aren't hooked up to TVs, the PS2 has a wired controller, and the remote for the CyberHome one sucks ass. I actually have to get up from my seat to use the remote because the range is so shitty.

So for me, at least, the best feature to a Wii channel that plays DVDs would be having a nice RF remote to work with. Biggest downside of course would be no more optical audio output.
    The DVD forum requires all DVD players have optical audio out now. The Wii does not have optical audio out. Thus the DVD forum will not grant Nintendo a license to use the current Wii to play DVDs.

That applies to dedicated DVD hardware. A VC download would probably be considered software. For example, you could buy a DVD player program like WinDVD for a computer that doesn't have optical out without violating any licensing.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I do second the sentiment that I have more than enough dvd players, and as such I don't feel that I need to hold off purchasing a Wii for this. If I had owned a Wii prior, I would not be outraged either.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited March 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    I do second the sentiment that I have more than enough dvd players, and as such I don't feel that I need to hold off purchasing a Wii for this. If I had owned a Wii prior, I would not be outraged either.
    Except the new Wii will have better hardware for outputting sound, for those of use with surround sound setups.

deadonthestreet on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Except the new Wii will have better hardware for outputting sound, for those of use with surround sound setups.

Fair enough.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Doesn't need to be optical, but it does need to be SPDIF. Coaxial SPDIF is perfectly sufficient. The Wii can't output SPDIF now, but it's probably possible to add that to one of the unused pins on the AV cable in a firmware update. Then again, it might not be; that functionality could well be hardcoded into (or rather out of) the DAC.

I guess we'll see, but right now it looks like a DVD-playing Wii will be more of a "Panasonic Q"-like curiosity and not a channel to buy. Which sucks, but who really gives a shit? I mean, it's not like DVD players are rare or expensive or anything. You can buy a progressive-scan DVD player from Wal*Mart for like thirty dollars.

Daedalus on
    edited March 2007

that clears up quite a bit.
    and probably a good insight on whats going to change between dvd wii and regular wii.l

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    edited March 2007

Doesn't need to be optical, but it does need to be SPDIF. Coaxial SPDIF is perfectly sufficient. The Wii can't output SPDIF now, but it's probably possible to add that to one of the unused pins on the AV cable in a firmware update. Then again, it might not be; that functionality could well be hardcoded into (or rather out of) the DAC.

I guess we'll see, but right now it looks like a DVD-playing Wii will be more of a "Panasonic Q"-like curiosity and not a channel to buy. Which sucks, but who really gives a shit? I mean, it's not like DVD players are rare or expensive or anything. You can buy a progressive-scan DVD player from Wal*Mart for like thirty dollars.

I like my work area nice and clean. and I want to bring my wii and buy a new small lcd tv for it. I was hoping that I didn't have to hook up bazillion devices to it.. just one small white functional device.. :) ah well. I'll probably go to best buy and pick my self up a nice region free dvd player for $25.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm fucking tired of this shit.

It's getting fucking annoying that, barely a year after the console launches, they announce a second, better version for the same price.

Seriously... nintendo, microsoft... stop this shit. It's really annoying.

TheSonicRetard on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

It's getting fucking annoying that, barely a year after the console launches, they announce a second, better version for the same price.

It is Nintendo. You should expect it from them.

Couscous on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Uh...
    Also, as you know, Nintendo and Sonic Solutions have made an agreement to allow Nintendo the use of Sonic Solutions’ DVD technology in a future version of the Wii console. However, launch details, like where (regions or countries) it will sell, release date, or price (although it will be more expensive than the original version) are currently unavailable and won’t be revealed until sometime in the latter half of 2007. It will not be available as an add-on attachment.

For those who already own a DVD player at home, the launch version of Wii will be the best choice. This version of the console is more affordable and you’ll be able to enjoy Wii games immediately.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited March 2007
    It'll probably launch at $250, and the vanilla version will be $200

deadonthestreet on
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have:

- PS2
    - XBox
    - Desktop
    - Laptop
    - DVD/VHS combo machine

I think I'll live with my vanilla Wii.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

No, this isn't fair. Just because they do it over and over again doesn't excuse them. This is still bullshit.

TheSonicRetard on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wait what

new wii's might have optical audio out?

oh

geez

Ranced on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have:

- A broken DVD player
    - Laptop with DVD drive
    - Desktop with DVD drive
    - A PlayStation 2 that no longer plays DVD movies

I use my desktop's DVD drive the most, but it doesn't mesh well with my setup. If they offered a DVD Channel for download I'd probably buy it.

Edit: If new Wiis have optical out, there's a good chance it won't apply to game audio output anyway. The PS2 is like this, right? Only things that specifically support it do anything with the optical out.

mntorankusu on
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't see the problem. Gadgets get improved over time.

If I buy a PC now, it won't be as good as one that is available 12 months later. If I buy a phone now, a better one will be available soon afterwards. If I buy a console, then I take the risk that it may be discounted or improved down the track.

That's the nature of technology.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
    edited March 2007
    I have:

- A broken DVD player
    - Laptop with DVD drive
    - Desktop with DVD drive
    - A PlayStation 2 that no longer plays DVD movies

I use my desktop's DVD drive the most, but it doesn't mesh well with my setup. If they offered a DVD Channel for download I'd probably buy it.

Edit: If new Wiis have optical out, there's a good chance it won't apply to game audio output anyway. The PS2 is like this, right? Only things that specifically support it do anything with the optical out.

No, on the PS2 everything outputs from the optical port as well. Otherwise you'd have to switch cables for certain games, which would suck.

Usually it's just normal stereo sound, of course, unless the game specifically supports surround sound.

Daedalus on
  • AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ranced wrote: »
    wait what

new wii's might have optical audio out?

oh

geez
    Not like games will take use of it.

Think of Panasonic Q <> Gamecube situation.

AlphaTwo on
    edited March 2007
    ah

well, it's all good then

Ranced on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

No, this isn't fair. Just because they do it over and over again doesn't excuse them. This is still bullshit.

Ok, then don't buy the new version that will offer no improvements to current or future games. That'll show them.

Me? I probably won't get one unless the sonic DVD software plays MP4/H.264/DivX in addition to standard MPEG2 DVDs. (Though I'm still not thrilled that I'd have to get a new version rather than paying the licensing fees through a VC purchase but that's Nintendo's choice as a supplier. As a consumer, I only get to decide what I buy. I sure hope the homebrew community breaks into the Wii soon...)

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
    edited March 2007
    01.jpg
    Imagine the Wii where the GC is. Unless this new Wii looks better than the Q, then it's not going to do any significant sales whatsoever.

AlphaTwo on
  • TSRTSR Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If Nintendo adds optical-out and developers take advantage of it for 5.1 surround sound I'll probably sell my current Wii and buy a new one :(. I only pray that demand will be high enough a year from now that I'll only lose maybe $50 on the whole situation.

TSR on
    edited March 2007
    TSR wrote: »
    If Nintendo adds optical-out and developers take advantage of it for 5.1 surround sound I'll probably sell my current Wii and buy a new one :(. I only pray that demand will be high enough a year from now that I'll only lose maybe $50 on the whole situation.
    Here's my problem with this statement.

Right now the Wii does Dolby Pro Logic II, which is compressed 5.1. Adding an optical out would allow Dolby Digital, which is uncompressed 5.1. Both require an audio decoder, and unless you are the 5-10% that can hear the difference, does it really matter?

AlphaTwo on
    edited March 2007

Ok, then don't buy the new version that will offer no improvements to current or future games. That'll show them.

Your sarcasm does little to mask your idiocy.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited March 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote: »
    and unless you are the 5-10% that can hear the difference, does it really matter?

uhh :|

Ranced on
    edited March 2007
    Ranced wrote: »
    and unless you are the 5-10% that can hear the difference, does it really matter?

uhh :|
    I do realize that I'm generalizing too much here, but this lack of optical out is in line with Nintendo's no-HD because homes doesn't have it yet.
    It has 5.1 through PLII, similar to supporting 480p, only as a halfway gap.

AlphaTwo on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Right now the Wii does Dolby Pro Logic II, which is compressed 5.1. Adding an optical out would allow Dolby Digital, which is uncompressed 5.1. Both require an audio decoder, and unless you are the 5-10% that can hear the difference, does it really matter?
    There's a HUGE difference in separation quality between PLII and actual Dolby Digital 5.1. HUGE. Seriously. Anyone would be able to tell the difference with something that used all of the speakers heavily.

mntorankusu on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meh I don't care but I can understand people who do... kind of. Sorry but another DVD player doesn't blow my mind and neither does optical out (my surround sound system kind of sucks and doesn't have opt in anyways).

Also wasn't the possibility of DVD player support announced before the Wii was released?

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Exactly. I've got an above-average speaker setup, and I really don't have a problem with Pro Logic.

Any decent decoder will be able to use the Pro Logic hints to separate the channels effectively, and the real-world difference in quality is pretty small. Most game music is stored on the disc as compressed audio anyway, so I doubt you would gain much from using Dolby Digital.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    meh, I don't need another DVD player.

this is certainly not as big as the difference between say, the GBA and GBA SP, or the DS and DS Lite (both of which I bought at launch, and stupidly did not think to wait for a later greater model).

Kriz on
    edited March 2007

There's a HUGE difference in separation quality between PLII and actual Dolby Digital 5.1. HUGE. Seriously. Anyone would be able to tell the difference with something that used all of the speakers heavily.
    True, but try to think like Nintendo. What would they say:

"I wonder how many people would have a setup for Dolby Digital."

Which is quite easy to see why that was never a priority, nor should they somehow spend more money to have a chipset to potentially support it for games that less than <insert your ballpark estimate of gamers with a Wii who has a decoder>. This is no different than the GC and the removal of the digital out port.

AlphaTwo on
    edited March 2007
    Hey, where'd half the thread go?

Daedalus on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

True, but try to think like Nintendo. What would they say:

"I wonder how many people would have a setup for Dolby Digital."

Which is quite easy to see why that was never a priority, nor should they somehow spend more money to have a chipset to potentially support it for games that less than <insert your ballpark estimate of gamers with a Wii who has a decoder>. This is no different than the GC and the removal of the digital out port.

It still sucks. ;)

But at the same time, I'm just going to do what I always do. Eventually buy a 2nd of every system I have towards or just after the end of its cycle so that a) should the first suddenly break down, I've got the 2nd to keep going, and b) keep one at home while I can move the other around to anywhere I want like a friend's house or school or wherever. Having a 2nd system that also plays DVD's would be awesome, especially if you bring it at a hotel. :D It'll work out in the end.

(Oh, and AlphaTwo, check your PM's. Thanks.)

What are you talking about?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
    edited March 2007
    The one about the DVD add-on? I think we've arrived at the point to call: We need more info. If it's a hardware solution, with a proper optical out: Then there's an interesting Wii hardware problem, where Nintendo will have to decide whether they open it up to devs. Also, this could piss a lot of us off (new hardware and all).

If it's a software solution: a) How did the DVD forum let them get away with it, and b) is the current Wiis going to support it.

AlphaTwo on
    edited March 2007
    BTP wrote: »

What are you talking about?

I could have sworn there were five pages in this thread just a minute ago.

Clearly the lack of sleep is getting to me.

Apologies.

Daedalus on