As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Changing Terms of Employment - What are my rights?

2»

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    And ~$9.40/hr is one of those such situations, you'd probably get better at burger king being a closer.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, I'd be better as a retail manager at the real rate I'm getting. Especially when my gas costs are around $80 a week now.

I spend 55 hours at that place or driving to/from it each week. It sucks.

I sent the payroll lady a polite email today saying that I didn't mind not having paid lunches, but that I wish someone had told me that before. I also politely asked why she was pulling money retroactively from my salaried checks, and I got basically a kindly worded "fuck you" where she mentioned how she was helping me out because they didn't cut my pay as much as they could've and they didn't cut as much from my check as they could've for my day off.

I'm seriously pissed. I spend most of the day doing nothing, too. Just sitting there because he forgets to give me tasks.

I guess I will try and look for something else while I suck it up. I don't think I'd shatter the company if I walked out, but I'm pretty sure I'd set him 2-3 weeks behind and cost him a little cash since he'd have to re-employ the third party service company I was hired to take over for. I'd report him anonymously to the DoL or IRS, but there's only one other guy who works in the office, so I think it'd be pretty obvious who reported him.

Edit: Coincidentally, I have work experience as a retail shift manager from my part time job that I do on the side. Hmm...

Then again, I also have a four year and two two-year degrees.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd be better as a retail manager at the real rate I'm getting. Especially when my gas costs are around $80 a week now.

I spend 55 hours at that place or driving to/from it each week. It sucks.

I sent the payroll lady a polite email today saying that I didn't mind not having paid lunches, but that I wish someone had told me that before. I also politely asked why she was pulling money retroactively from my salaried checks, and I got basically a kindly worded "fuck you" where she mentioned how she was helping me out because they didn't cut my pay as much as they could've and they didn't cut as much from my check as they could've for my day off.

I'm seriously pissed. I spend most of the day doing nothing, too. Just sitting there because he forgets to give me tasks.

I guess I will try and look for something else while I suck it up. I don't think I'd shatter the company if I walked out, but I'm pretty sure I'd set him 2-3 weeks behind and cost him a little cash since he'd have to re-employ the third party service company I was hired to take over for. I'd report him anonymously to the DoL or IRS, but there's only one other guy who works in the office, so I think it'd be pretty obvious who reported him.

Edit: Coincidentally, I have work experience as a retail shift manager from my part time job that I do on the side. Hmm...

Then again, I also have a four year and two two-year degrees.
    Here's the thing: you aren't going to use this cockhole as a reference, so you don't need to worry about him knowing you reported him.

Are those emails to your personal email, or to a company email? If it's to a company email, forward them to yourself. Alternatively, if you're using Outlook, surreptitiously save them to a flash drive in a .msg format. That's documentation. Ideally, save or forward all of your emails.

At $80 a week on gas, you're basically being paid $2 an hour less than you actually are. So, you're making shit. Start looking for another job ASAP. And seriously, even if you can give them two week's notice, I wouldn't even bother telling them. Just stop showing up for work, and don't take their calls. After a couple of weeks, request your last paycheck.

It's petty and dickish, but these guys are assholes, and as long as you're burning a bridge, you want to make sure you burn it but good.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I am just afraid to get into the game of job searching again, especially so soon and with so little formal experience gained (although, as you just mentioned, not that it does me much good if I can't reference).

At the same time, if I stay there, I really don't have much time to job hunt. I essentially work 70 hours a week across 6 days, so Sunday would be it realistically. And other than the actual binding (or non-binding in many cases) terms of my employment, I've enjoyed this job. Still, even with that, it's never something I've seen as long-term.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I am just afraid to get into the game of job searching again, especially so soon and with so little formal experience gained (although, as you just mentioned, not that it does me much good if I can't reference).

At the same time, if I stay there, I really don't have much time to job hunt. I essentially work 70 hours a week across 6 days, so Sunday would be it realistically. And other than the actual binding (or non-binding in many cases) terms of my employment, I've enjoyed this job. Still, even with that, it's never something I've seen as long-term.
    Spend your time at work job-hunting, as much as you can get away with.

The nice thing about still working there is that you can just check the "do not call my current employer" box on those applications.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hadji, people with jobs almost have no trouble finding jobs. It's sort of like a secret code of conduct. I could interview at 8 places right now and probably have 4 job offers by the end of the week. When I was unemployed it took 3 weeks to get one person to even call me back, it's crazy.

Just filling a void at a company makes you desirable.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    also, depending on the circumstances -- he may not have to re-employ the third party agency. I have fired someone after months of employment and they felt bad about it not working out and found another person without having to pay them again.

• Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular

Expand your search well outside of Michigan.