As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Issues with Laptop GPU(s)

BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
Sorry to the mods for the double post on the same issue (posted a thread originally in H/A), but I might have more success here.

I recently bought a Samsung Series 7 laptop off ebay. I got it a few days ago, and it looks great! My BIG problem with it though is that it came with two video cards (onboard and a ATI Radeon 6490M HD), and only one seems to work. I first noticed this when I used DxDiag to check the computers specs. For some reason, the computer will only recognize the Intel HD Graphics Family chip. I've ran through the following steps to try and fix this issue:

1.) I tried to update my drivers. This was done before I got the computer and everything is up to date as of 4/6/12
2.) Under the device manager, there are two display adapters listed: AMD Radeon HD 6490M (yay!) and the Moblie Intel (R) HD Graphics (boo!). I disabled the mobile intel adapter and the computer did not switch to the AMD GPU, even though the device manager showed/reported that display adapter as being active. I confirmed this through DxDiag, and it didn't recognize any GPU even though the 6490M was still enabled. I got the same results when I uninstalled.
3.) I re-installed both display adapters. Still got the same results
4.) I opened up the Catalyst Control Center to try and find something. I saw there was a "switchable graphics" option, but this did not seem to turn on the 6490M on programs I selected as "high performance". I tested this for Skyrim, and the game did not recognize the card as being on.
5.) Going to the BIOS (a Phoenix BIOS), I tried to find a way to switch my GPU on there. Unfortunately, there isn't an option for that, and I could only find sites that want me to pay for a BIOS update.

TL;DR - I've tried drivers, un/re-installation, the BIOS, and the ATI program and nothing seems to turn the card 'on'.

Has anyone else run into similar issue? What I'm trying to do is find a way to shut off the shitty integrated graphics so I can use my mobile GPU permanently. I'll include more specs below, and thanks for any suggestions!
OS = Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
System Model = Samsung 700Z3A/700Z4A/700Z5A/700Z5B (believe mine is the 5B model)
BIOS = Phoenix SecureCore-Tiano NB Version 2.1 10FD
Processor = Intel i7 2.2GHz
Memory = 8gb
DirectX = 11
GPU 1 = Mobile Intel HD Graphics (258 MB)
GPU 2 = AMD Radeon HD 6490M (512 MB)

Blowflu on

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    hey I just recently got a dv6 HP pavillion laptop. This had the intel integrated graphic and a amd 6770m. HP had an updated bios that allowed me to switch the graphics from dynamic to static mode. This let me set the switch the option in the CCC to the 6770m. I'd look on your manufacturer website and see if there is a Bios update. I know I had to do this before I could update the drivers for the 6770m.