As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles X] looks to be a pretty good game.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    So can anybody help me spawn the wallslide megasluts or whatever it's called? He's in Tephra Cave, and I know where he should spawn, but I've travelled away and back, changed the time, saved and reloaded, and done all sorts of other shit and he's not coming back. I killed him just because he was named the first time through, but that was like 5+ hours of gameplay ago.

Also, there is a colony 9 quest called mementos of a lost son or something, and I found the first one, but am I correct in thinking that the others come from other areas? I have fully explored colony 9, and despite the fact the quest comes from there, I don't see how I've missed the items if they're there.

Yeah, you'll find the other items later, don't worry about it now.

Stop making me want to replay the game damnit.
    You're all too excited. :(

This.

I'm getting serious urges to replay it right now, but I don't really have time for it.

So please stop having fun, everyone.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I know you can use the levels of the monsters you're facing to scale where you are in the main story, but how far am I if...
    I just finished the ritual with Melia in the tomb?

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I know you can use the levels of the monsters you're facing to scale where you are in the main story, but how far am I if...
    I just finished the ritual with Melia in the tomb?

Perhaps
    About one-third through the story

Huggles on
  • Options
    flapjackflapjack Registered User regular
    So, quick question relating to party members. Mild spoiler for just after the mines.
    So I just got Dunban, and he seems awesome and I would like to use him. Does whoever I sideline still get exp/ap/sp, or are they in stasis? Also, what's the general best way to use him? He seems to have a bunch of aggro abilities so I threw a bunch of AGI gems on him and took out Reyn for the time being, since my only other characters at the moment are Shulk and Sharla. But I am quite open to suggestions for party composition and so on. A friend of mine told me that Shulk can safely be removed from your party at some point; is this recommended? Or is it generally wise to keep the main character floating around?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    flapjack wrote: »
    So, quick question relating to party members. Mild spoiler for just after the mines.
    So I just got Dunban, and he seems awesome and I would like to use him. Does whoever I sideline still get exp/ap/sp, or are they in stasis? Also, what's the general best way to use him? He seems to have a bunch of aggro abilities so I threw a bunch of AGI gems on him and took out Reyn for the time being, since my only other characters at the moment are Shulk and Sharla. But I am quite open to suggestions for party composition and so on. A friend of mine told me that Shulk can safely be removed from your party at some point; is this recommended? Or is it generally wise to keep the main character floating around?

I don't think benched characters get less XP/AP/SP. At least, I never noticed them fall behind in levels or skills. Dunban is a good (too good) replacement for Reyn. He's your dodgy agility tank, so agility is good. As for main, yeah it's a good time to experiment. You won't be running into Mechon for a loooong time so Shulk is no longer almost-required. I never had much fun or luck maining any of the other 3 you have right now, but maybe you will feel differently.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    You do get slightly more xp and stuff for being in the battle party. I don't know the exact details but you will notice Riki has skills like 'get full xp/ap regardless of position in battle' or something.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

All party members not in the active party still get exp/sp/ap, just at a reduced rate. They won't get affinity, though.

And yeah, your strategy with the new party member is pretty much the way to go, regarding gems and such.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

I don't think benched characters get less XP/AP/SP. At least, I never noticed them fall behind in levels or skills. Dunban is a good (too good) replacement for Reyn. He's your dodgy agility tank, so agility is good. As for main, yeah it's a good time to experiment. You won't be running into Mechon for a loooong time so Shulk is no longer almost-required. I never had much fun or luck maining any of the other 3 you have right now, but maybe you will feel differently.

Dunban doesn't appear to have any AoE, though. I've been using him without too many issues, so far, but I'm pretty heavily overleveled. If you ever do end up having trouble with maintaining group aggro, it might be worth a try swapping Reyn back in.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

Dunban doesn't appear to have any AoE, though. I've been using him without too many issues, so far, but I'm pretty heavily overleveled. If you ever do end up having trouble with maintaining group aggro, it might be worth a try swapping Reyn back in.

He does get some AoE skills eventually, some quite nice ones actually.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Dunban pretty much needs Peerless to maintain aggro. Use it whenever you can and you'll love him to bits.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    The only problem with Dunban is that Sharla, Riki and 7th don't have space for a fourth party member. So sad.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Dunban is better than 7th. Sexier too.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Nintendo shipped this via UPS on 4/7, and there hasn't been an update since then. I'm hoping I get it this week.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Chen wrote: »
    Dunban is better than 7th. Sexier too.

Ha. Ha I say! You fool.

...sexier he says. Pfft.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Chen's just grouchy that Takahashi decided that lunch was more important to Shulk than character development...

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    You know when I was a kid I loved options for party members. Like FF6 is my favorite game of all time (aside from Thief) and man there's a lot of party members.

As soon as I got my 4th in this I stressed out because I feel like I need to use him but I don't want to remove any of my current. And I know there's 3 more to get and I'll want to use them, but I also want to stick it out with my original party. Frustrating!
    I can't imagine I'll ever take Shulk (which has to be the most unappealing name ever, by the by) out simply because the monado is so sexy.

• Options
    You couldn't have made it more obvious. Well, you could, but you know what I mean.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I'm totally taking Shulk out after I get a new party member.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Wow, a Wii game that needed a second thread? At the end of it's life! My world has been turned upside down!

In other news: NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! D:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I only ever swap out controlling Shulk for the 5th party member, because they're just more fun to use. I always get the feeling the AI is better than me at everything apart from controlling 5th...

Huggles on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    This game pretty much saved the Wii for me. In fact, I had gotten rid of my first one and bought a new one when I heard this game was coming to the U.S. I don't like Zelda and 3d Mario games(though new super mario was fun to play co-op with my wife), so this is the first Wii game i've played since NSMB.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    This game is the first time I've had my Wii plugged in since the latest Zelda game.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    This game is the first time I've had my Wii plugged in since the latest Zelda game.

You missed out on Rhythm Heaven Fever...it's awesome and fun.

Either way, right now this game isn't making me happy. :(

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    How far in are you?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Huggles wrote: »
    How far in are you?
    Fiore...my sweet Fiore.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    At least Xenoblade gives Manservice with its Fanservice.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    How far in are you?
    Fiore...my sweet Fiore.
    Just take it out on the mechon!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    How far in are you?
    Fiore...my sweet Fiore.

Yeah, that was something of a sucker-punch, wasn't it? :(

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I only ever swap out controlling Shulk for the 5th party member, because they're just more fun to use. I always get the feeling the AI is better than me at everything apart from controlling 5th...

I have yet to get the AI to reliably topple. I setup Breaks for them all the time and like 10% of the time Reyn will actually use his green skill to topple.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I have yet to get the AI to reliably topple. I setup Breaks for them all the time and like 10% of the time Reyn will actually use his green skill to topple.

When I want a reliable topple, I actually switch to Reyn and let the rest of my party break. They break way more reliably than they topple, and I can force the topple with Reyn.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Could be the topple skill is often on cooldown. One thing I have noticed it the AI's tendency to decide attacks ahead of time, so you can break a target and Reyn's AI will decide 'I'm going to use my topple skill against that enemy as soon as it is possible to do so'. Which doesn't help if the target is no longer under break when that time comes, and that's just put the skill on cooldown again...

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

When I want a reliable topple, I actually switch to Reyn and let the rest of my party break. They break way more reliably than they topple, and I can force the topple with Reyn.

Can you switch in combat?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Nope (that I am aware of, maybe you can), but generally the only fights I require topple on are tough ones that I probably end up losing the first go round anyway, and when that happens, I'll just switch to Reyn on the respawn and go that route.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

Nope (that I am aware of, maybe you can), but generally the only fights I require topple on are tough ones that I probably end up losing the first go round anyway, and when that happens, I'll just switch to Reyn on the respawn and go that route.

Eh, I have yet to lose a fight where the enemy didn't out-level me, which even then has only been a couple of the unique ones out in the world (like that stupid unique rabbit). In those cases topple wouldn't have even mattered since I just flat out wasn't strong enough to kill them.

I have found if I control Sharla that Shulk and Reyn actually do an ok job setting up topples on their own. I guess if you rely on the AI entirely it works :P Sharla is kind of boring though since she is like 99% heals.

• Options

I wish that you could. I generally like to control Shulk, but there are times in particularly nasty battles where I wished that I could switch to Sharla for a bit to have more control over heals (aka, spamming them immediately).

I wonder, since abilities used when you warn someone don't seem to respect cooldowns, is it a good idea to use the warn to do something completely irrelevant on a high cooldown and just have Shulk take care of the problem himself? That requires you to actually be controlling Shulk, of course.

Speaking of that, do you have to actually have Shulk in your battle party to get warnings, or will you get them anyway, just without the easy cancels?

And finally, I hate it when enemies are just weak enough that their huge AoE talent attacks don't trigger warnings. Yes, Monado, I know no one was actually going to come close to death, but I still would have liked to have blocked that attack that took my entire party from full to less than a third health.

• Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    Ah I want to get this game so bad! My Wii broke and doesn't play games (wii or gamecube) anymore; does anyone know if it is easy to fix if I buy that 3 pronged screwdriver (Damn you Nintendo!) or should I go out and get a new one?

WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »

I wish that you could. I generally like to control Shulk, but there are times in particularly nasty battles where I wished that I could switch to Sharla for a bit to have more control over heals (aka, spamming them immediately).

I wonder, since abilities used when you warn someone don't seem to respect cooldowns, is it a good idea to use the warn to do something completely irrelevant on a high cooldown and just have Shulk take care of the problem himself? That requires you to actually be controlling Shulk, of course.

Speaking of that, do you have to actually have Shulk in your battle party to get warnings, or will you get them anyway, just without the easy cancels?

And finally, I hate it when enemies are just weak enough that their huge AoE talent attacks don't trigger warnings. Yes, Monado, I know no one was actually going to come close to death, but I still would have liked to have blocked that attack that took my entire party from full to less than a third health.

You get visions regardless of party composition. I like to think Shulk is following them around shouting at them when something's about to happen.

As for warning, that uses one of the three chunks of the party meter. If you're counting on pulling off a chain attack then don't use the warning.

Incidentally, when you do get a vision, the target can take no action until the time bar runs out. Abuse this free attacking time fully!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I've tried controlling other party members, but man do they all seem more involved than Shulk. I initially feel like I can't control them properly, and that it's better for everybody if I just leave them in the AI's hands. Still though, it's bloody brilliant that they all control so differently. The tutorials done in the first person really help with understanding how they work.

As for Dunban, that ability that raises aggro when wearing no armor... is that really when wearing *no* armor? Like just the boxer shorts? I kinda don't want to do it because I'd still like to have my characters looking something approaching respectable. Hell, I'm loath to remove his General gear, because god dammit does he just look so dapper in it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I've tried controlling other party members, but man do they all seem more involved than Shulk. I initially feel like I can't control them properly, and that it's better for everybody if I just leave them in the AI's hands. Still though, it's bloody brilliant that they all control so differently. The tutorials done in the first person really help with understanding how they work.

As for Dunban, that ability that raises aggro when wearing no armor... is that really when wearing *no* armor? Like just the boxer shorts? I kinda don't want to do it because I'd still like to have my characters looking something approaching respectable. Hell, I'm loath to remove his General gear, because god dammit does he just look so dapper in it.

Just wait until you get Jungle gear. Screw dapperness.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Sharla is easy. Sit back and shoot dudes. Heal guys that look like they are getting hurt. If you are bored you can hit the big button in the middle to cooldown her gun (which is a weird mechanic). Probably helps that I am grossly overleveled :)

Warlock82 on